Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Car Crash Study Finds
Drugs Are Prevalent
Dec 14, 2022 2:55 PM CST
Car Crash Study Finds Drugs Are Prevalent
Over half of car crash victims had drugs in system
- A large study by US highway safety regulators found that more than half the people injured or killed in traffic crashes had one or more drugs, or alcohol, in their bloodstreams. Also, just over 54% of injured drivers had drugs or alcohol in their systems, with THC, the active ingredient...
Jailed Here for
Drugs Have Only
One Way Out
Sep 11, 2022 1:05 PM CDT
Pregnant Women Jailed Here for Drugs Have Only One Way Out
They're kept behind bars in Etowah County, Ala., unless they go to rehab, pay $10K
- Multiple pregnant women or new moms are behind bars in an Alabama prison after being arrested for drug use, and they're being kept there for "weeks or months" on end under "special conditions," per AL.com . The outlet reports that the women involved, accused of exposing...
Safe Injection Sites
Feb 7, 2022 6:40 PM CST
Justice Dept. Is 'Evaluating' Safe Injection Sites
Position is a big change from earlier stance
- A year after winning a major court battle against the opening of so-called safe injection site—safe havens for people to use heroin and other narcotics with protections against fatal overdoses—the Justice Department is signaling it might be open to allowing them. In response to questions from the AP...
He Was Charged With Trying to
Kill His Dad. Then, a Reckoning
Feb 4, 2022 8:15 AM CST
He Was Charged With Trying to Kill His Dad. Then, a Reckoning
Liam Ghershony, in recovery, hopes to show his father 'how much I've changed'
- The low point for Liam Ghershony was being charged with the attempted murder of his own dad. Ghershony's mother called police in Bethesda, Md., in May 2021 to report her son had admitted to "dosing" her ex-husband five days prior. The
shares the story to "...
Guy Who Jumped Out of
Plane at LAX Hears His Fate
Jan 27, 2022 10:30 AM CST
Guy Who Jumped Out of Plane at LAX Hears His Fate
Mexican national Luis Armando Victoria Dominguez will see 18 months behind bars in federal prison
A Mexican national who jumped out of a plane at Los Angeles International Airport last summer has found out the consequences of his actions. KTLA reports that a judge on Wednesday sentenced Luis Armando Victoria Dominguez, 34, to 18 months in federal prison for the incident in June, in...
Deaths Spike as
OD Antidote Price Soars
Oct 20, 2021 7:29 AM CDT
Deaths Spike as OD Antidote Price Soars
Expert attributes thousands of deaths to greed amid naxolone supply issues
- The US has seen a record high in overdose deaths during the pandemic, and an addiction expert says "we can expect even more fatal overdoses" now that a medication that reverses overdoses has jumped up to 30 times in price. The Opioid Safety and Naloxone Network Buyers Club, a...
The 10 States With the
Biggest Drug Problems
May 11, 2021 4:09 PM CDT
The 10 States With the Biggest Drug Problems
District of Columbia actually fares the worst on WalletHub list
- Drug abuse has only gotten worse with the pandemic, with 87,000 overdose deaths in the 12 months ending in September—representing a 29% increase from October 2019 to September 2020, reports the
New York Times
. Breaking down the states most affected by drug abuse using 21 metrics—including per...
Bieber: Bodyguards Checked
My Pulse While I Slept
Apr 14, 2021 11:15 AM CDT
Bieber: Bodyguards Checked My Pulse While I Slept
Singer tells 'GQ' that he's been working on himself
- Five years ago, Justin Bieber was in a bad spot. He'd spent the past several years as a rising teen superstar and had developed such a concerning drug problem that his bodyguards would check his pulse while he slept to make sure he was still alive, the Canadian singer...
Secret US Safe Injection
Site Saved Dozens of Lives
Jul 9, 2020 8:02 AM CDT
Secret US Safe Injection Site Saved Dozens of Lives
Researcher say clandestine site reversed 33 overdoses
- For years, addicts have been injecting themselves with drugs at a secret location in an undisclosed US city. Researchers say the clandestine safe injection site has saved dozens of lives and has probably prevented many HIV and hepatitis C infections. The site, based on legal ones in Europe and Canada,...
This Is the State With
the Worst Drug Abuse
May 14, 2020 1:21 PM CDT
This Is the State With the Worst Drug Abuse
Missouri gets unwanted distinction in WalletHub list
- As America remains mired in a drug crisis , the added weight of the coronavirus pandemic has only made things harder. That's per WalletHub , which looked at all 50 states and DC to see which areas are affected the most by drug abuse. It looked at nearly two dozen metrics,...
10 States With the
Most Drug Abuse
May 13, 2019 10:14 AM CDT
10 States With the Most Drug Abuse
The epidemic continues
- A recent sliver of hope in the US opioid crisis emerged in the form of a substantial drop in prescription opioid use in 2018. But that doesn't mean the country's drug epidemic is anywhere near over. Drug abuse continues to run rampant, and WalletHub looked at the problem...
She Was Called a
Dead Reality Star.
That's Not Quite Right
Oct 16, 2018 11:10 AM CDT
She Was Called a Dead Reality Star. That's Not Quite Right
The 'New York Times' looks at the life of Lyric McHenry
- Lyric McHenry was found dead hours after celebrating her 26th birthday in Manhattan, and the coverage of her death "reduced [her] to the facts as written in a hurried police report: black woman, pregnant, possible cocaine, deserted street in the Bronx," writes Zoe Greenberg for the
Tylenol, Advil Work
Just as Well as Opioids
Mar 9, 2018 10:04 AM CST
Tylenol, Advil Work Just as Well as Opioids
Study finds they're not much better than over-the-counter meds for pain relief
- Even after overdose and addiction risks became known, opioid prescriptions continued on the belief that the drugs were more effective at relieving pain than other medications. New research suggests that may not be the case. In a study in
, scientists say opioids appear to be no better at treating...
10 States With the
Biggest Drug Problems
May 16, 2017 8:28 PM CDT
10 States With the Biggest Drug Problems
DC leads pack, followed by Vermont, Colorado
- The United States as a whole is battling an opioid epidemic, but certain states are harder hit by drugs than others. Colorado, for example, has the highest percentage of teenagers and adults who use illicit drugs, while West Virginia has the most overdose deaths per capita, reports WalletHub . The site...
Another Effect of Heroin Crisis:
More Hepatitis C Infections
May 12, 2017 6:25 AM CDT
Another Effect of Heroin Crisis: More Hepatitis C Infections
There were 2.4K new infection in 2015; that's probably fraction of actual number
- The heroin epidemic is driving up hepatitis C infections, with the biggest increase in people ages 20 to 29, US health officials said Thursday. The number of new infections nearly tripled in five years, to about 2,400 in 2015, the AP reports. The virus is spread by sharing needles...
Your Fingerprint Can
Reveal Drug Use
May 15, 2015 5:50 PM CDT
Your Fingerprint Can Reveal Drug Use
Scientists able to tell whether person has taken cocaine
- Might the days of taking saliva or blood samples for drug tests be numbered? Scientists have figured out a way to use fingerprints instead, they report at Phys.org . Specifically, the researchers used a chemical analysis of the prints to determine whether a person had ingested cocaine. Currently, scientists are...
Oct 25, 2014 6:37 AM CDT
Baby's Cry May Reveal Cocaine Use by Mom
Researchers find similar characteristics in humans, rats
- A simple technique may help determine whether a baby was exposed to cocaine during pregnancy: Listen to her cry. It can be tough to diagnose babies with cocaine-linked health issues that may not appear until they're older, Medical Daily reports. But a baby who seems healthy may reveal through...
FDA Studies Caffeine Powder
After Teen's Death
Jul 19, 2014 1:05 PM CDT
FDA Studies Caffeine Powder After Teen's Death
Agency says it might take regulatory action
- A few weeks before their prom king's death , students at an Ohio high school had attended an assembly on narcotics that warned about the dangers of heroin and prescription painkillers. But it was one of the world's most widely accepted drugs that killed Logan Stiner—a powdered form...
New Face of Heroin:
May 29, 2014 12:13 PM CDT
New Face of Heroin: White Suburbanite
Researchers attribute rise to prescription drugs
- Not too long ago, the profile of the typical heroin user was pretty straightforward: an inner-city male about age 16. No more, says a new study in
. Thanks in part to the surging use of prescription painkillers such as OxyContin and Vicodin, today's typical first-time heroin user...
Popular Drug: Pot
Aug 29, 2013 12:03 AM CDT
World's Most Popular Drug: Pot
But painkillers behind most deaths
- Researchers have, for the first time, conducted a worldwide survey on illegal drug use, and they learned that the most popular one on the planet is marijuana. But the drugs that are killing the most people are strong painkillers, Vicodin, OxyContin, and codeine among them, the AP reports, as per...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Here's What People Are Saying After Biden's State of the Union
After a Drowning, Amusement Park Ride Closes for Good
Days After 'Dead' Woman Was Found Alive, a New Incident
One Quirk in Couples Health Study Is a Surprise
Finding Puts 'Extra Nail in the Coffin' on Neanderthal Theory
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.