Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Rare Paleo Find Suggests
Gruesome Dino Dinners
May 28, 2020 10:20 AM CDT
Rare Paleo Find Suggests Gruesome Dino Dinners
Researchers say bite marks on carnivore bones in Colorado indicate dinosaur cannibalism
- Bite marks on dinosaur bones aren't often found—but they recently turned up in multitudes at the Mygatt-Moore Quarry in Colorado, and researchers say the find could indicate certain carnivorous dinos were cannibals. According to a study published in
Wednesday, scientists found that, of the 2,368...
'Cannibal Couple' Accused of
Killing, Eating Up to 30 People
Sep 27, 2017 6:43 PM CDT
'Cannibal Couple' Accused of Killing, Eating Up to 30 People
Police led to couple by selfie of man with severed hand in his mouth
- Russian investigators believe a couple may have killed, skinned, and eaten up to 30 people over the past two decades, even secretly feeding "canned human meat" to unsuspecting soldiers at the military academy where they worked, the
reports. According to the
, a construction worker in...
They Ate Their Friend.
Then They Made Art
Aug 10, 2017 9:37 AM CDT
They Ate Their Friend. Then They Made Art
15K-year-old human radial bone shows signs of ritual cannibalism
- The radius and the ulna bones of the forearm were separated at the joint, cleaned, and chewed. But that was only the start of a cannibalistic ritual taking place in England some 15,000 years ago, scientists say after analyzing a bone with unusual markings found in a cave in...
Humans Just Aren't
Apr 7, 2017 8:39 AM CDT
Sorry, Cannibals: Humans Just Aren't That Nutritious
Try a boar instead
- A human heart might seem like a hefty chunk of meat, but its 650 calories would hardly fill up a hungry cannibal living in Paleolithic times. It's a finding that is forcing researchers to rethink why cannibalism was practiced in that period if not as a last resort to...
Mar 21, 2017 8:00 PM CDT
Ancient Spanish Cave-Dwellers Ate People
But it's unclear why they turned to cannibalism 10K years ago
- The first evidence of cannibalism in Mesolithic Spain has been found, a study published in this month's
Journal of Anthropological Archaeology
reveals. That evidence comes in the form of 30 human remains discovered in a cave at the Coves de Santa Maria. The remains are between 9,000 and...
Chimp Leader Killed, Eaten
by His Former Subjects
Feb 1, 2017 5:15 PM CST
Chimp Leader Killed, Eaten by His Former Subjects
It's a very rare occurrence of chimps killing in their own community
- It was already a rare occurrence when a group of chimpanzees murdered one of their own—and then they started eating the body. In a study published last week in the
International Journal of Primatology
, researchers recount only the ninth recorded murder of a chimp by its own community. In...
Suspect: 'I've Got
a Psycho Side'
Aug 18, 2016 8:44 AM CDT
Fla. Face-Eating Suspect: 'I've Got a Psycho Side'
Austin Harrouff now in stable condition: police
- "It's like he just—changed." That's how Austin Harrouff's mom described her son's behavior to a 911 operator Monday after the 19-year-old fled a Florida restaurant following an argument with his father, reports the
. Mina Harrouff said her son had been acting...
Can Turn Man
Aug 17, 2016 4:19 PM CDT
How Flakka Can Turn Man to Cannibal
Drug alters mood, leads to paranoia
- The disturbing murder of a couple in Florida is just the latest case linked to flakka to make headlines recently—but what is flakka? Also known as Alpha-PVP or "gravel," the drug looks like tiny white or pink stones—like those you might find at the bottom of...
Butchered Their Own
Jul 7, 2016 12:49 PM CDT
Neanderthals 'Thoroughly' Butchered Their Own
Researchers excavated 99 bones and fragments from a cavern in Belgium
- Neanderthals appear to have had quite the appetite for, well, one another, at least according to findings by researchers at the University of Tübingen in Germany. Reporting in the journal
, they say that an analysis of 99 new Neanderthal remains from a cavern in Belgium that date...
1972 Crash Survivor Recalls
Descent Into Cannibalism
Feb 25, 2016 2:00 AM CST
1972 Crash Survivor Recalls Descent Into Cannibalism
Roberto Canessa has written a new book on the ordeal in the Andes
- "It was our final goodbye to innocence," writes Roberto Canessa, describing the decision he and his fellow survivors made to consume the flesh of those who died when their plane slammed into the Andes in October 1972. In
I Had to Survive: How a Plane Crash in the
Octopus Sex Show
Feb 15, 2016 8:40 AM CST
Fearing Cannibalism, Aquarium Cancels Octopus Sex Show
No love for Kong this year
- For visitors to the Seattle Aquarium, Valentine's Day just wasn't the same this year, after the annual giant Pacific octopus sex exhibition was canceled. But it's not because aquarium staff came to the conclusion that it's weird to invite a bunch of people to come watch...
Became More Than
Jul 22, 2015 9:02 AM CDT
Stranded Explorers Became More Than Cannibals
Scientists finally learn the lengths British shipmen went to survive
- Call it cannibalism-plus. Scientists have learned that a group of British Navy shipmen stranded in the Canadian Arctic in the mid-1840s didn't just cut the flesh off their fellow crewmen's bones to survive, they also cracked those bones to suck out the marrow. Reporting in the
by Eating Brains
in case you missed it
Jun 14, 2015 7:00 PM CDT
Tribe Became Immune to Brain Disease— by Eating Brains
The cannibalistic practice spread disease that some managed to resist
- When members of the Fore tribe in Papua New Guinea ate the brains of their extended kin at funerals, it was their way of paying respect. Unfortunately, the ritual also helped spread kuru prion disease, a form of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD)—a rare but fatal brain disease that can lead...
Archaeologists Learn How
Cannibals Prepared Flesh
May 25, 2015 9:22 AM CDT
Archaeologists Learn How Cannibals Prepared Flesh
Some bones appear to have been boiled with axiote or chilli
- With evidence of cannibalism persisting throughout many eras and across many lands, scientists recently set out to determine precisely how one known group of cannibals prepared human flesh. Reporting in the journal
, they say the remains of 18 men, women, and children dating to between 700BC and 500BC, found...
Form of Sexual
Dec 27, 2014 1:33 PM CST
Scientists Uncover More Disturbing Form of Sexual Cannibalism
Some hungry praying mantises lure in males by lying about their health
- If you don't know about sexual cannibalism, here's a quick primer: It's most common among insects and arachnids, and typically involves a female luring in a male for sex only to eat it, often via beheading, thereby promoting egg development and the likelihood of successful procreation. But...
PETA Asks Sheriff to Feed Alleged Cannibal Vegan Diet
Sep 24, 2014 4:20 PM CDT
PETA Asks Sheriff to Feed Alleged Cannibal Vegan Diet
But don't expect it to happen
- PETA thinks it's got the perfect diet for a man accused of murder and cannibalism—a vegan one. As
reports, the animal-rights group has caused a fuss with its letter to the acting sheriff of Indiana's Clark County suggesting the meat- and dairy-free meal plan for...
Why Cannibalism Is
Bad for Your Health
in case you missed it
Aug 2, 2014 7:00 AM CDT
Why Cannibalism Is Bad for Your Health
Can cause a pretty awful-sounding disease: Gizmodo
- Have you ever wondered if would be OK—healthwise, not morally speaking—to feast on a fellow human? If so, Gizmodo has some answers. The strongest case against cannibalism is a version of mad cow disease or Creutzfeld-Jacob disease known as
to the Fore people of Papua New Guinea....
Octopus Love Involves
Jul 23, 2014 4:40 PM CDT
Octopus Love Involves Strangulation, Cannibalism
Scientists observe one killing, eating her partner
- Some guys fall asleep after a little love-making. But if you’re a male octopus, that nap can be more like eternal rest. Two scientists have detailed how carnal relations between a lady octopus and her lover can prove fatal for the male, especially if he’s not that well-endowed,...
Jul 5, 2014 3:05 PM CDT
What's a Cannibal's Caloric Intake?
Eating an arm would offer about 1.8K calories
- Popular Science has some nutritional information for Hannibal Lecter: It's probably best not to eat an entire human at once. Scientist James Cole finds that a whole person probably contains about 81,500 calories—about 40 times more than your recommended daily value. But individual pieces of person...
Jul 1, 2014 3:46 AM CDT
'Cannibal' Cop's Conviction Overturned
Sick emails don't constitute conspiracy, judge decides
- The former New York City cop who fantasized about kidnapping, torturing, and eating women is definitely a disturbing individual, but he's not guilty of conspiracy to kidnap, a judge has decided. In a ruling issued late last night, a federal judge overturned the conviction of Gilberto Valle, saying the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
On Roe v. Wade, Federal Judge Sees a 'Loophole'
Shots Fired as Intruder Breaches Home of Air Force One
Harry Styles' Grammys Speech Caused Mass Bewilderment
Police: Fentanyl Killing Teens May Have Come From One Home
DNA Reveals Fate of Man Who Vanished in Alaska in 1976
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.