Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Wants to 'Destroy'
Celebs Like Me, Britney
Feb 24, 2021 11:44 AM CST
Our Culture Wants to 'Destroy' Celebs Like Me, Britney
Child actor Mara Wilson describes sexualization by the media
- On her 13th birthday, Mara Wilson "made one of the biggest mistakes of my life." She opened up to a reporter, who would go on to describe a "complaining" child star who sounded "like a spoiled brat," Wilson writes in an op-ed at the
Apr 18, 2013 8:49 AM CDT
Performers Live Shorter Lives Than Other Celebs
They can expect to live to 77: study
- If you crave a long life in the spotlight, become a ... CEO. Researchers perused 1,000
New York Times
obituaries from between 2009 and 2011 in a bid to glean some conclusions about the life expectancy of celebs, the BBC reports. What they found, in terms of average life expectancy:...
Prank Celeb Video
Makes Man a Celeb
Aug 26, 2012 3:20 PM CDT
Prank Celeb Video Makes Man a Celeb
Brett Cohen fools New Yorkers with hired paparazzi
- As Brett Cohen says, his life will never be the same—now that he's famous for pretending to be a celebrity. The 21-year-old pranked New Yorkers last month into thinking he was famous, and now that video of it has gone viral, Cohen is appearing on morning shows like...
'Can't Say I Don't
Jun 17, 2012 6:09 AM CDT
Woody Allen: 'Can't Say I Don't Enjoy' Fame
It's 'disgusting', but great for dinner reservations
- Paparazzi vs. good seats at basketball games. Loss of privacy vs. no waiting for doctors, even on weekends. Sure, fame has its problems, but the perks are pretty sweet, too, Woody Allen tells the
. "I'm not saying it’s fair—it's kind of disgusting—but...
Jan 24, 2012 12:02 AM CST
Sean Penn: Celebrity Is Obscene Disease
Turning away from stardom 'common sense,' says actor
- Bad boy Sean Penn is at it again. The eternally angry actor is blasting celebrity as an "obscene disease." "I don't think it's an overstatement to say that it's an obscene disease of celebrity that's taken over far too much of the life...
Jun 7, 2011 3:41 AM CDT
Lonely Emma: Men Fear My Fame
Her advice: Be brave
- Poor Emma Watson. She doesn't have a guy and she thinks it's because men are frightened by her fame. "I find it hard to believe I would be intimidating," she says. "It must be the fame wall, the circus that goes around me." Guys...
Why Wills and
Kate Fascinate Us
Apr 26, 2011 1:45 PM CDT
Why Wills and Kate Fascinate Us
They're victims of an inescapable fate—but they seem happy anyway
- Even to those of us with no plans to sit through the royal wedding, Prince William and Kate Middleton are intriguing. “My friend is not a royal watcher or a tabloid reader. Neither am I,” writes Anne Applebaum in the
. Yet both were familiar with Kate’...
a Prisoner of
Her Own Fame
Jun 1, 2010 1:25 PM CDT
Boyle's Now a Prisoner of Her Own Fame
Singer can't fade into obscurity like author Harper Lee
- It's been exactly 1 year since Susan Boyle's star-making turn on
Britain's Got Talent
, and the singer is now crazy famous—but she doesn't seem to be enjoying it much. Friends say Boyle's suffered a breakdown and doesn't enjoy her celebrity, writes Ben Macintyre for the
of London . She...
Found Artsy Cred
Feb 1, 2010 1:49 PM CST
Ethan Hawke Ditched A-List, Found Artsy Cred
Star dishes on avoiding the fame 'trap' and doing what he always wanted to
- Standing on the verge of Hollywood superstardom in the mid-'90s, Ethan Hawke blinked. Rather then sign on as the superhero flavor of the month, he turned instead to pal Richard Linklater's small indie flick
The result has been a career trajectory not so much Hollywood glam as Big...
Boyle: I Did It for My Mom
Aug 6, 2009 2:23 PM CDT
Boyle: I Did It for My Mom
Fame hasn't gone to singing sensation's head
- Soaring to stardom was “too big for anyone to handle,” says Susan Boyle. But in her first major magazine interview, the singer doesn't pause when asked whether she’s glad she went on
Britain’s Got Talent:
“Come on! It goes without saying,” she tells
Forget It: You'll
Never Be Famous
Jul 25, 2009 6:36 PM CDT
Forget It: You'll Never Be Famous
- Celebrities are everywhere, grinning from magazine stands and TV screens galore. But good luck trying to join the glossy ranks of fame, Jim Hanas writes in the
New York Post
. The odds are daunting: Only 4,763 people are famous, says a market research company, and only 2% of...
Age of Celebrity
Didn't Die with Jackson
Jul 8, 2009 3:31 AM CDT
Age of Celebrity Didn't Die with Jackson
- Media commentators claiming Michael Jackson's death marks the end of mega-stardom couldn't be farther off the mark, Richard Florida argues in the
It's true that the fast route to stardom the Internet offers has made celebrities a dime a dozen, but like every other new communications technology, the web...
Peter Pan to
Jun 28, 2009 8:24 PM CDT
Jackson Played Peter Pan to Charm White America
To understand Jackson, look beyond the man in the mirror
- A musical genius, yes, but Michael Jackson was also a master of performing roles. And his greatest may have been that of a de-sexualized, non-threatening black man who appealed to white audiences, David Gates writes in
. The King of Pop looked "blackest" on the cover of 1979's...
Do-Gooder Celebs Can Aid —and Irritate
May 5, 2009 7:39 AM CDT
Do-Gooder Celebs Can Aid —and Irritate
Emma Thompson on the conflicts of charitable stars
- These days every celebrity is a do-gooder, but for Emma Thompson, using star power to fight disease or injustice can be not only "stunningly effective" but "also profoundly off-putting." In a column for the
of London, the actor and screenwriter describes the tension between charity and...
Sure to Blow
Mar 2, 2009 3:59 PM CST
Sure to Blow Wilson's Cover
- Patrick Wilson has had many brushes with fame, but it’s fairly certain his role in the hotly anticipated
will finally make walking down the street a chore,
reports. He’s done studio films before (remember
?), won praise for his role in
Popular on Newser
Pence: Errant Comma in Book Affects Meaning of Trump Line
Former WWE Star Sentenced to 17 Years After Fatal DUI Crash
Google Maps: We're Going to Scrap That Desert Detour
Awards Season Kicks Off With De Niro Going Off-Script
Nikki Haley Just Scored a Major Endorsement
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.