Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
It Wasn't Me, Officer;
It Was the Deer
Jan 27, 2017 11:40 AM CST
It Wasn't Me, Officer; It Was the Deer
Man blames speeding ticket on hypothetical deer
- A Massachusetts man fighting a speeding ticket in court had a unique explanation—the officer's radar gun may have picked up a deer, the AP reports. According to the
Newburyport Daily News
, Dennis Sayers was clocked going 40mph in 30mph zone in West Newbury in November. He got a...
Obama Bails Out
Jun 3, 2012 10:33 AM CDT
Obama Bails Out Truant 5th-Grader
Tyler Sullivan gets handwritten excuse for skipping school to see president
- Kids cut school every day, but usually for reasons like "Meh, I didn't feel like going," not "I was hanging with the leader of the free world." Such is the life of 5th-grader Tyler Sullivan, who got a written excuse from none other than President...
for Skipping Work
Oct 30, 2010 12:40 PM CDT
Weirdest Excuses for Skipping Work
'I'm not feeling too clever today'
- A new survey finds that 29% of employees have made something up to get out of a workday, and CareerBuilder surveys employers to find the strangest:
A chicken attacked my mom.
My finger's stuck in a bowling ball.
My hair transplant went poorly.
Have Mercy, Officer:
I Can't Think of a Good Excuse
Jul 27, 2009 11:55 AM CDT
Have Mercy, Officer: I Can't Think of a Good Excuse
- Every time a cop pulls someone over, he or she is liable to hear an excuse. And every so often, a driver manages to surprise even the most jaded ticket-writer, the
San Jose Mercury News
reports. Like the pair of Frenchmen one officer caught speeding on Highway 101. They’d...
Jun 12, 2009 12:04 PM CDT
Obama Jots Excuse for Hooky-Playing 4th-Grader
Girl skips last day to see president's Green Bay talk
- A 10-year-old in Wisconsin missed her last day of school to watch President Obama speak—so he wrote her an excuse note. Kennedy Corpus’ father noted that she was missing school before asking a question, the
Green Bay Press-Gazette
reports. “Do you need me to write a note?” the...
In Sticky Situations,
Recession's an Easy Out
Feb 13, 2009 2:43 PM CST
In Sticky Situations, Recession's an Easy Out
If you don't want to say the real reason, invoke the economy!
- Think of all the commitments you would love to back out of. Chances are, you can use the economy as an excuse to set you free, reports the
New York Times
. Reaping the social benefits of recession is big with everyone from the mom who didn't want to confront her...
Popular on Newser
Comedian Has Survived in NYC Nearly a Month on Just $100
Country Singer, 37, Dies in His Sleep on Wedding Night
'At Long Last We Have Gained Some Traction on This Most ... Feared Disease'
She Was Behind Some of Fleetwood Mac's Biggest Hits
AMC Networks Is Having a Rough Day
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.