Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Yellowstone National Park
Stories 1 - 20 |
Fatal Mauling Wasn't Grizzly's
First Attack of a Human
Sep 7, 2023 12:45 PM CDT
Fatal Mauling Wasn't Grizzly's First Attack of a Human
Bear with a 'history of conflict with people' euthanized in Montana; her cub will go to zoo
- A grizzly bear that killed a hiker near the town of West Yellowstone, Montana, in July and was also found to have injured a person in Idaho in 2020 has been euthanized after busting into a home. The 10-year-old female and her cub, still roaming near the Yellowstone National Park...
Burned, Charged, Banned
Aug 25, 2023 9:21 AM CDT
Yellowstone Visitor Burned, Charged, Banned
Authorities say he was under the influence when he went off-trail in thermal area
- A Michigan man had an unforgettable experience at Yellowstone National Park this week, and not in a good way. Federal prosecutors say 49-year-old Jason Wicks was charged with two misdemeanors after he traveled off-trail in a thermal area Tuesday night and suffered a non-life-threatening injury. The US Attorney's Office...
After Bison Ruins
Jul 25, 2023 2:30 AM CDT
After Bison Ruins Proposal Plans, Man Improvises
Asked his partner at the hospital instead, where she said yes
- An Arizona woman who suffered fractured vertebrae and collapsed lungs after being gored by a bison in Yellowstone National Park has said "yes" to her boyfriend's hospital proposal, the AP reports. Chris Whitehill said he planned to propose to Amber Harris during their vacation in the park this...
Officials: Grizzly Bear Killed
Woman Near Yellowstone
Jul 24, 2023 12:55 PM CDT
Officials: Grizzly Bear Killed Woman Near Yellowstone
Hiker found body on trail Saturday morning
- A lone hiker was killed near Yellowstone National Park in what authorities believe was a grizzly bear attack, though they have been unable to locate the bear. The Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks department said Monday that the woman's body was found by a hiker Saturday morning on the...
Gored by Bison
Jul 19, 2023 9:14 AM CDT
2nd Woman Gored by Bison
This woman was visiting Theodore Roosevelt National Park when she was charged
- A second woman was gored by a bison inside of a week in one of America's national parks, reports the
New York Times .
In the incident on Saturday, a Minnesota woman was visiting Theodore Roosevelt National Park in North Dakota when she was attacked by a bison on the...
Yellowstone Visitors Remove
Baby Elk, Putting It at Risk
Jun 4, 2023 12:40 PM CDT
Yellowstone Visitors Remove Baby Elk, Putting It at Risk
Rangers advise staying 25 yards at a minimum from most park wildlife
- At first glance it seems like a heartwarming gesture: Outsider reports that Memorial Day weekend visitors to Yellowstone National Park put a newborn elk calf in their car and drove it to the West Yellowstone, Montana, Police Department. But it was actually a disturbing turn of events. This incident, which...
Man Punished After Bison Calf
He Tried to Help Was Killed
Jun 1, 2023 12:30 AM CDT
Man Punished After Bison Calf He Tried to Help Was Killed
Hawaii man pleaded guilty in Yellowstone incident
- The man who tried to help a bison calf in Yellowstone, causing its herd to reject it and resulting in it ultimately being euthanized, pleaded guilty to a federal charge involving disturbing wildlife. The man, who was visiting the national park from Hawaii, was ordered to pay $1,000 to...
Hunter Could Get Jail Time
Over Alleged IDing Error
May 16, 2023 3:00 PM CDT
Hunter Could Get Jail Time Over Alleged IDing Error
Wyoming's Patrick Gogerty claims he mistook the protected grizzly for a black bear, shot it dead
- A Wyoming man is facing up to a year in jail after allegedly killing a protected grizzly bear near Yellowstone National Park. Patrick Gogerty of Cody claims he mistook the 530-pound male grizzly for a black bear, the largest of which generally weigh up to 700 pounds, per the AP...
to Mass Bison Hunt
Apr 4, 2023 6:10 PM CDT
Advocates Object to Mass Bison Hunt
Prompted by disease outbreak, culling of Yellowstone herd has killed 1.5K animals
- A large-scale, sanctioned hunt of bison at Yellowstone National Park, prompted by an outbreak of disease among the herd, has culled a record number while meeting with more opposition than past efforts. More than 1,530 bison out of a herd of about 6,000 have been killed over four...
13 Yellowstone Bison
Killed in Road Accident
Dec 31, 2022 11:32 AM CST
13 Yellowstone Bison Killed in Road Accident
Authorities say a semi struck the animals on a highway just outside the park
- Thirteen bison from Yellowstone National Park were killed after being struck by a semi-truck, reports NBC Montana . The animals were apparently on or near a highway just outside the park—probably because of deep snow inside the park—when the truck hit them after dark on Wednesday, per the AP...
Owner of Foot Found in
Yellowstone Hot Spring ID'd
Nov 18, 2022 8:35 AM CST
Owner of Foot Found in Yellowstone Hot Spring ID'd
Il Hun Ro of Los Angeles died in 'unwitnessed incident' at Abyss Pool in July
- The partial foot found in a hot spring at Yellowstone National Park in mid-August belonged to a 70-year-old man who is believed to have died weeks earlier. Il Hun Ro of Los Angeles was identified in the last three weeks using DNA analysis, park officials said Thursday, per Fox News...
There's an Investigation
Into the Killing of Wolf 1233
Sep 4, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
There's an Investigation Into the Killing of Wolf 1233
'Intercept' looks at allegations a Yellowstone ranger improperly hunted a wolf
- Hunters killed a record 25 Yellowstone wolves last season , a figure that represents one-fifth of the park's wolf population and is more than double the previous high of a decade ago. As a deep dive at the Intercept explains, newly relaxed rules on hunters instituted by Montana Gov. Greg...
Woman, 71, Gored
by Bison in Yellowstone
Jun 30, 2022 5:30 PM CDT
Woman, 71, Gored by Bison in Yellowstone
It's the second such attack this week in the park
: Another visitor to Yellowstone National Park has been gored by a bison. Park officials said a 71-year-old woman and her daughter inadvertently approached the bison Wednesday on their way back to their vehicle at a Yellowstone Lake trailhead. The woman, who is from West Chester, Pennsylvania, was taken to...
License Plate Entry Rule
Jun 30, 2022 3:34 PM CDT
Yellowstone Suspending License Plate Entry Rule
Park will reopen northern loop ahead of big holiday weekend as it recovers from floods
Yellowstone National Park is reopening its flood-damaged north loop at noon on Saturday, in time for the Fourth of July holiday weekend, park Superintendent Cam Sholly said Thursday. The loop is reopening nearly three weeks after massive flooding forced thousands to flee the park as water, rocks, and mud...
As Floods Devastate
Governor Is AWOL
Jun 17, 2022 6:52 AM CDT
As Floods Devastate Yellowstone, Montana Governor Is AWOL
Greg Gianforte was on a 'long-scheduled personal trip'
- Yellowstone and other areas in Montana have been devastated by recent floods , while the governor of the state has been conspicuously absent. Amid a slew of criticism, Gov. Greg Gianforte's office said he was returning home Thursday night from a "long-scheduled personal trip" out of the country, which...
Yellowstone: 'This Is a
Jun 15, 2022 6:23 AM CDT
Yellowstone: 'This Is a Thousand-Year Event'
Yellowstone to remain closed for a week after devastating floods
- Following days of massive flooding and mudslides , Yellowstone National Park will remain closed to visitors for about a week—and part of the park is likely closed until late October or early November. Park officials called the days of heavy rain and melting snow "unprecedented," with the superintendent...
Massacre Leader's Name
Jun 14, 2022 8:23 AM CDT
Yellowstone Dumps Massacre Leader's Name
Gustavus Doane of Mount Doane boasted of slaughtering Native Americans, including children
- The name of a man who led a massacre of at least 173 Native Americans, including women and children suffering from smallpox, has been scrubbed from a peak in Yellowstone National Park. The 10,551-foot Mount Doane was named for Army officer and explorer Gustavus Doane, who ordered the 1870...
Yellowstone Closes After
Flooding Washes Out Roads
Jun 13, 2022 7:35 PM CDT
Yellowstone Closes After Flooding Washes Out Roads
Gates to park are shut through Wednesday, at least
- Massive floodwaters ravaged Yellowstone National Park and nearby communities Monday, washing out roads and bridges, cutting off electricity, and forcing visitors to evacuate parts of the iconic park at the height of summer tourist season. All entrances to Yellowstone were closed due to the deluge, caused by heavy rains and...
She Got Within 10 Feet
of Yellowstone Bison,
With Horrifying End
Jun 1, 2022 8:34 AM CDT
She Got Within 10 Feet of Yellowstone Bison, With Horrifying End
Ohio woman gored and tossed Monday has died of her injuries
- A woman got far too close to a Yellowstone bison this week. "Consequently, the bison gored the woman and tossed her 10 feet into the air," park officials say in a release . The unnamed 25-year-old woman from Grove City, Ohio, died of her injuries, said to include a...
Yellowstone Ranger: I've Seen
Forrest Fenn's Treasure Spot
in case you missed it
May 8, 2022 7:00 AM CDT
Yellowstone Ranger: I've Seen Forrest Fenn's Treasure Spot
Exact location could be revealed through lawsuit proceedings
- At least two living people know where the late Forrest Fenn hid his treasure: the man who found it and the chief ranger of Yellowstone National Park. Ranger Sarah Davis has admitted that Fenn and Jack Stuef , the 30-something medical student who found Fenn's treasure in the summer of...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
On the Day the Rats Arrived, He Filled 18 Bags With Bodies
A 'Familiar Maternal Face on TV' Dead at 93
Chinese Chef in Hot Water Over Egg Fried Rice Video
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.