Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Company Says Its
Drones Will Plant
1B Trees by 2028
May 21, 2020 9:25 AM CDT
Company Says Its Drones Will Plant 1B Trees by 2028
Canadians say their tech can plant trees 10 times faster than humans
- Drone projects don't get much more ambitious than the one envisioned by Flash Forest, which plans to plant a billion trees by 2028—helping save the planet in the process. The Canadian startup says its drones, which can identify the best planting sites before dropping specially designed seed pods,...
Planted 353M Trees
—in Half a Day
Jul 30, 2019 8:03 AM CDT
This Country Planted 353M Trees —in Half a Day
4B is the ultimate goal in Ethiopia
- Ethiopia claims it has smashed a world record in the name of climate change—and the tree planting isn't even done. More than 353 million tree seedlings were planted across the country in just 12 hours as part of Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed's Green Legacy reforestation campaign, per...
500-Mile Trek for Environment
Has Unusual Twist
Jul 24, 2019 9:55 AM CDT
500-Mile Trek for Environment Has Unusual Twist
Indonesia's Medi Bastoni will be doing it backward, with the help of a rearview mirror
- He's walking backward for a month in the hope of moving forward with forest conservation. The
has the story of Medi Bastoni, an Indonesian man who set out Thursday to walk 500 miles in reverse from his village of Dono in East Java to the State Palace in...
Iceland Trying to Undo
What the Vikings Did
Jul 17, 2019 2:00 PM CDT
Iceland Trying to Undo What the Vikings Did
The reforestation effort is a slow-moving one
- That Iceland is the most lightly forested country in all of Europe is the doing of man, not nature—long-since-deceased man. The AFP reports more than 25% of the island was covered in trees, mostly birch, when the Vikings reached its shores in the late 800s. A century later, only...
In 24 Hours,
50 Million Trees
Jul 18, 2016 6:41 PM CDT
In 24 Hours, 50 Million Trees Were Planted
More than 800,000 people pitched in
- India's goal to increase its forest cover to 235 million acres in the next 15 years has gotten a big boost. On July 11, more than 800,000 people in Uttar Pradesh state planted nearly 50 million saplings in 24 hours in a bid to set a new Guinness...
Jan 24, 2011 6:41 PM CST
Genghis Kahn: Tree-Hugging Slaughterer?
Turns out staining the ground red meant going green
- If environmentalists were really serious about cutting carbon, they'd just go out and slaughter about 40 million people. Or so one might deduce from a new study that finds Genghis Khan's murderous invasion actually sucked about 700 million tons of carbon from the atmosphere, reports Mother Nature Network. The trick?...
Save the Rainforest?
Nature May Have It Covered
Jan 30, 2009 12:18 PM CST
Save the Rainforest? Nature May Have It Covered
New jungle in the tropics might outpace deforestation
- With all the talk of how much primeval rainforest disappears every year, it might come as a surprise to hear that much more new forest is springing up to replace it. Although new jungle taking over abandoned or destroyed farms in tropical nations is good for the planet—the UN...
Popular on Newser
26-Year-Old Tech CEO Found Dead in Baltimore
3 Boys 'Paid the Ultimate Price' for Mom's Addiction
Judge Rules Trump Committed Fraud
We Have a Date for Mass Extinction of Mammals
Strange Case of Mom Accused in Husband's Death Gets Stranger
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.