Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Kraft Recalls Potentially
'Unpleasant' Cheese Slices
Sep 20, 2023 7:54 AM CDT
Kraft Recalls Potentially 'Unpleasant' Cheese Slices
Company says the wrappers could pose choking hazard
- Kraft Heinz said Tuesday it's recalling more than 83,000 cases of individually-wrapped Kraft Singles American processed cheese slices because part of the wrapper could stick to the slice and become a choking hazard. The company, which is based in Chicago and Pittsburgh, said one of its wrapping machines...
This Lady Says She Can See
Into Your Future, Via Cheese
Sep 16, 2023 8:30 AM CDT
This Lady Says She Can See Into Your Future, Via Cheese
Jennifer Billock tells fortunes using the art of tyromancy
- How accurately can that provolone in your fridge predict the future? How good of a soothsayer is that wheel of Stilton? You may not have the answers to those questions, but Jennifer Billock thinks she does. That's because the Chicago native is a self-proclaimed expert in tyromancy, described by...
Deadly Cheese Collapse
Sounded Like Thunder
Aug 7, 2023 6:40 PM CDT
Deadly Cheese Collapse Sounded Like Thunder
Italian cheesemaker was crushed under thousands of falling cheese wheels
- A beloved cheesemaker in northern Italy died Sunday night, crushed under thousands of wheels of his own product. Authorities say a shelf broke while 74-year-old Giacomo Chiapparini was in a cheese warehouse in the Lombardy region, starting a domino effect that caused around 25,000 wheels of hard cheese, each...
Burger King, Why
Are You Doing This?
in case you missed it
Jul 15, 2023 4:25 PM CDT
Burger King, Why Are You Doing This?
Thailand division is hawking a cheeseburger with no burger meat, up to 20 slices of American cheese
- If your favorite part of a cheeseburger is the cheese, Burger King has just the meal for you. You'll have to travel to Thailand to sample it, but "this is for real!" the fast-food giant says of its burgerless cheeseburger, which features the usual sesame-seed bun but...
Cheese Ruling a 'Significant
Win' for US Dairy Farmers
Mar 6, 2023 11:10 AM CST
Cheese Ruling a 'Significant Win' for US Dairy Farmers
Cheese made in US can be labeled 'Gruyere,' to chagrin of dairy farmers from France, Switzerland
- Feel free to call that Alpine-style cheese from Wisconsin "Gruyere." That's according to a US appeals court, which ruled last week that the label can be used for cheese made not only in the Swiss-French region it's named after, but also for cheese made in the...
50 Wheels of Undeclared
Cheese Cost NM Woman
Sep 13, 2022 12:58 PM CDT
50 Wheels of Undeclared Cheese Cost NM Woman
She was fined $1K after trying to enter Texas from Mexico
- Officers with Customs and Border Protection say they stopped a woman hiding contraband under a blanket in her SUV as she tried to cross the Texas border from Mexico earlier this month. But it wasn't drugs, or even weapons—though it may have been sharp: It was 50 wheels...
Cows Can't Eat
So We Don't Get
Aug 16, 2022 8:51 AM CDT
Cows Can't Eat Parched Grass, So We Don't Get Special Cheese
Production of unique Salers cheese halted due to drought in France's Auvergne region
- If the grass in your yard goes a little dry over the summer, it's no big deal. In France's central Auvergne region, however, those parched parcels, a result of the nation's current drought, are wreaking havoc on the making of a centuries-old cheese. The
USDA Keeps 1.4 Billion Pounds
of Cheese in Missouri Caves
Jun 5, 2022 11:45 AM CDT
USDA Keeps 1.4 Billion Pounds of Cheese in Missouri Caves
It's not all 'government cheese,' at least not anymore
- You might say Springfield, Missouri, is the cheese capital of America, not because it’s known for great cheese but because the USDA maintains a hoard of 1.4 billion pounds of cheese in caves beneath the town. The so-called Springfield Underground has been there for decades, but its exact...
This Piece of Cheese Helped
Bring Down a Drug Dealer
May 25, 2021 7:19 AM CDT
This Piece of Cheese Helped Bring Down a Drug Dealer
Carl Stewart's photo of him holding a block of Stilton allowed UK police to lift his prints
- If evading police was the goal, Carl Stewart seemed to be doing everything right. The UK drug dealer used an encrypted phone system called EncroChat—one favored by organized crime in Europe—to carry out his surreptitious communications, and he adopted the handle "Toffeeforce" to do business, selling heroin...
Monks Are Sitting on
4K Discs of Cheese
Mar 26, 2021 4:40 PM CDT
Monks Are Sitting on 4K Discs of Cheese
With demand plummeting, French monastery sells online
- The pandemic has cut sales of the cheese produced at a French monastery in half. Restaurants are closed, and customers don't stop by the Cîteaux Abbey's shop these days. So the basement is filling up with 4,000 semi-soft discs, the
reports. The Trappist monks who...
Sell This 'Dangerous' Cheese
and You Could Be Fined $60K
Mar 20, 2021 8:00 AM CDT
Sell This 'Dangerous' Cheese and You Could Be Fined $60K
But in Sardinia, casu marzu is a way of life
- Spotting maggots in your food is generally a sign that it needs to be tossed, quickly. When it comes to the Sardinian cheese casu marzu, it's a sign that everything is going as planned. At CNN , Agostino Petroni takes a deep dive into what Guinness World Records has called...
There's a New Retail
'Crisis' Affecting Costco
in case you missed it
Mar 14, 2021 2:50 PM CDT
There's a New Retail 'Crisis' Affecting Costco
Imports delayed over apparent lack of shipping containers
- There's a reason your local Costco may look barer than usual. Delays at ports are affecting supplies of imported goods, and imported cheeses in particular,
reports. During an earnings call last week, CFO Richard Galanti explained Costco was seeing limited supplies of cheese, seafood, olive oil, furniture,...
This Is the World's
Mar 6, 2020 12:43 PM CST
This Is the World's Best Cheese
Gruyere from Switzerland takes top prize at world's biggest cheese, butter, yogurt competition
- A Gruyere from Switzerland has been named the world's best cheese, chosen from a record number of entrants from 26 nations in the World Championship Cheese Contest in Wisconsin. The cheese from Bern, Switzerland, made its maker, Michael Spycher of Mountain Dairy Fritzenhaus, a two-time winner. Spycher also won...
Scores a Big First
Nov 1, 2019 4:44 AM CDT
American Cheese Scores a Big First
Oregon cheese scored first-ever US win at World Cheese Awards
- Cheese snobs who think American cheese is defined by Cheez Whiz will have been surprised by this year's World Cheese Awards. For the first time in the event's 32-year history, the winning cheese came from the US,
Food & Wine
reports. The honor went to the Rogue River...
Famous Chef Says This Spice
Cost Him a Michelin Star
Sep 25, 2019 8:27 AM CDT
Famous Chef Says This Spice Cost Him a Michelin Star
France's Marc Veyrat says saffron fooled inspector into thinking pedestrian cheese was used
- Marc Veyrat is world renowned, recognized for both his wild herb-based fare and his trademark look—a "wide-brimmed black Savoyard hat and smoke-tinted glasses," per the
. What the 69-year-old French chef doesn't want to be known for, however, is losing a coveted star in the Michelin...
Aug 23, 2019 1:40 PM CDT
Suit: Premium Dairy's Cows Surrounded by Dirt, Concrete
Class-action complaint against Tillamook creamery says most cows' life isn't as idyllic as advertised
- Visit the website of the Tillamook County Creamery Association, and you'll view photos of "pampered" cows roaming freely in verdant fields. A new lawsuit from the Animal Legal Defense Fund, however, takes issue with this idyllic imagery from the company that churns out Tillamook-brand butter, cheese, ice cream,...
Millennials Blamed for
Travails of American Cheese
Oct 11, 2018 9:15 AM CDT
Millennials Blamed for Travails of American Cheese
Bloomberg: Sales are down as younger generation turns away from processed food
- American cheese has been a staple in US kitchens for decades, but Bloomberg reports that its fortunes appear to be heading south. The story also sees one big reason why: Millennials aren't interested in buying or eating the processed stuff, preferring instead natural cheeses that taste more distinctive even...
In an Ancient Jar, World's
Oldest Cheese Is Found
Aug 17, 2018 1:58 PM CDT
In an Ancient Jar, World's Oldest Cheese Is Found
Remnants of the stuff remain after 3,200 years
- For thousands of years beneath Egypt's desert sands, a solidified whitish substance sat in a broken jar. Scientists now say it's "probably the most ancient archaeological solid residue of cheese ever found," per the AP . Archaeologists came across the finding while cleaning the sands around a...
Cops: Pizza Worker Tampered
With Shredded Cheese
Jun 7, 2018 8:20 AM CDT
Cops: Pizza Worker Tampered With Shredded Cheese
NC manager discovered what cops suspect was rat poison before any customers were affected
- Customers at a North Carolina pizzeria may have dodged a close one last week. The
News & Observer
reports an employee at Fayetteville's Primo Pizza was arrested Wednesday and accused of mixing what cops believe was rat poison in with the shredded cheese. Per a Fayetteville Police release , a...
French Have Field Day With
Whole Foods Cheese Map
Sep 8, 2017 7:40 AM CDT
French Have Field Day With Whole Foods Cheese Map
The inaccuracies are inspiring widespread sass
- In cheese-loving France, there's plenty of regional pride for which places first made, or exclusively produce, each fromage. So when Whole Foods displayed a French cheese map with glaring inaccuracies, an online melee ensued, reports Eater . It all started when French expat Mikaël, who lives in DC, on...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Another of Italy's 'Leaning' Towers May Be in Trouble
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
One Group of Creatives Has Stellar Mental Health
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.