Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Cops Warn About New iPhone
Feature, Experts Say to Chill
in case you missed it
Dec 3, 2023 3:40 PM CST
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
Red flag on NameDrop says user contact info could be inadvertently shared, but tech geeks say no
- A sharing feature built into Apple's latest iOS update has police departments nationwide issuing a warning to iPhone users, but security experts say the hubbub may be a bit hyped up. The new NameDrop feature allows consumers who have phones using iOS 17.1, or watchOS 10.1 on...
Help Is On the Way for Your
Overheated iPhone 15
Oct 5, 2023 7:53 AM CDT
Help Is On the Way for Your Overheated iPhone 15
Apple releases patch to remedy Pro models running 'warmer than expected'
- Complaints about Apple's new iPhone 15 Pro models running too hot have been heeded. The company released a patch on Wednesday, noting that the included updates and bug fixes included in iOS 17.0.3 should take care of the overheating issue. "We have identified a few conditions...
Get Ready for Lots of
Noise Wednesday Afternoon
Oct 3, 2023 11:45 AM CDT
Get Ready for Lots of Noise Wednesday Afternoon
FEMA, FCC are conducting emergency alert test
- Starting midday on Wednesday, your cellphone will likely start making a lot of noise—and it won't be alone. FEMA, in conjunction with the FCC, will be conducting a nationwide test of both its Emergency Alert System and Wireless Emergency Alerts, with an emergency alert sent to radios and...
Zoo Cracks Down on
Gorilla's Screen Time
Jul 12, 2023 11:20 AM CDT
Zoo Cracks Down on Gorilla's Screen Time
It seems they really like visitors' cellphones
- If you've ever had a kid, spouse, or decidedly boring date you couldn't drag away from their phone, the Toronto Zoo can commiserate. The
reports that visitors have for some reason felt the urge to show Nassir the gorilla videos on their cellphones. "Nassir is...
Kids Need to
Phones in School
Jun 11, 2023 4:35 PM CDT
Sorry, Parents, Kids Need to Lose Their Phones in School
Jonathan Haidt makes the case for it in the 'Atlantic,' citing mental health, lack of focus
- Last month, the US surgeon general released a report pointing to the links between social media and declining mental health in America's kids and teens, and Jonathan Haidt says the transition to cellphones in the late aughts and early 2010s has played a role. That's why he now...
Official Fined for Draining
Reservoir to Find Phone
in case you missed it
Jun 4, 2023 3:45 PM CDT
Official Fined for Draining Reservoir to Find Phone
State irrigation department in India orders Rajesh Vishwas to pay for wasted water
- An official in India who drained a reservoir to search for his lost phone has to pay for the water as well as a new phone. Food inspector Rajesh Vishwas, who retrieved his $1,200 Samsung device but found it was unusable, has been fined the equivalent of around $640...
50 Years Ago Today, the
First Cellphone Call Was Made
Apr 3, 2023 7:45 PM CDT
50 Years Ago Today, the First Cellphone Call Was Made
Motorola engineer Martin Cooper remembers it well, but his rival doesn't
- It was 50 years ago today that Motorola engineer Martin Cooper made history with the first handheld cellphone call in public. Cooper, standing on a Manhattan street, made the call to one of his main rivals, Joel Engel at AT&T research arm Bell Labs, CNN reports. "I'm...
Stranded in the Forest,
They Got 'Creative'
With a Drone
Mar 13, 2023 9:35 AM CDT
Stranded in the Forest, They Got 'Creative' With a Drone
Trio stuck in snowy Oregon sends cellphone with SOS message into the air to pick up signal
- A trio stuck on a snowy mountain road in Oregon's Willamette National Forest, a remote area with no cellphone service, came up with a most "creative" way to survive, per Fox News . On Jan. 29, 37-year-old photographer Casey Ryan and a friend took a drive in his pickup...
Inside Mob Boss's Hideouts:
Jan 19, 2023 9:50 AM CST
Inside Mob Boss's Hideouts: Cellphones, Viagra
2 hideouts found in close proximity, just 5 miles from Matteo Messina Denaro's birthplace
- Italian police have uncovered two hideouts believed to have been used by Cosa Nostra mob boss Matteo Messina Denaro toward the end of his 30 years on the run. Car keys in his possession during his arrest on Monday led authorities to a home in the Sicilian town of Campobello...
Leaked Too Much
Jan 12, 2023 8:07 AM CST
Story on Russian Troops, Source Code Leaked Too Much
Phone numbers of soldiers, others exposed, putting at risk those who criticized war and Putin
- In late September, the
New York Times
published an interactive report that effectively spied on Russian soldiers' unauthorized calls home from the front lines of the Ukraine war, revealing a "crisis in morale" and "an inside view of a military in disarray." That story likely wasn't...
After 'Fervent' Bidding,
2007 iPhone Sells for $39K
Oct 18, 2022 9:04 AM CDT
After 'Fervent' Bidding, 2007 iPhone Sells for $39K
15-year-old 8GB device in unopened box is said to be in 'exceptional' condition
- The starting bid for a 15-year-old iPhone on the LCG Auctions site was listed as $2,500, but the now-ancient (in tech years) device ended up going for a whole lot more. Gizmodo reports that the unopened 2007 iPhone, a first-gen 8GB model from the year Apple debuted its smartphone,...
Calls for Help
Oct 3, 2022 11:43 AM CDT
After Late-Night Fatal Crash, an iPhone Calls for Help
Police haven't determined what caused accident in Lincoln, Nebraska
- A passenger's cellphone automatically alerted responders after a car hit a tree early Sunday in a Nebraska crash that killed all six of the vehicle's young occupants, authorities said. Five men in the Honda Accord died at the scene of the crash around 2:15am in Lincoln, about...
Jury Acquits in Theater
Killing Over Cellphone
Feb 26, 2022 12:20 PM CST
Jury Acquits in Theater Killing Over Cellphone
Chad Oulson was shot to death in argument over cellphone use
- A Florida jury has found a retired police SWAT commander not guilty in a fatal shooting in a movie theater in 2014. Curtis Reeves, 79, had been charged with second-degree murder and aggravated battery, WTVT reports, but the judge had told jurors they could return lesser guilty verdicts, including manslaughter....
RIP to an Iconic
Jan 4, 2022 7:27 AM CST
RIP to an Iconic Mobile Device
BlackBerry is discontinuing service after Tuesday on all of its devices not running on Android software
- If you're still clinging to your older BlackBerry not for nostalgia's sake but for actual functionality, you're out of luck after today. In what multiple outlets are calling the "end of an era," the Canadian company known for its once-ubiquitous mobile devices with thumb-friendly QWERTY...
Sep 5, 2021 10:10 AM CDT
Flood Alerts Come Under Question
Weather service realizes it might be overusing the system
- Cellphones across New York and New Jersey pulsed with urgent warnings of catastrophic flooding as the fury of Hurricane Ida's remnants, carrying torrential rains, approached upper New Jersey and New York City on Wednesday. The first alerts of severe weather blared across millions of phones at 8:41 that...
A Flight Landed Safely in
Seattle. Then, an Evacuation
Aug 24, 2021 8:19 AM CDT
A Flight Landed Safely in Seattle. Then, an Evacuation
Passenger's cellphone caught on fire on tarmac at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport
- Passengers usually breathe a sigh of relief once their plane touches down on the runway. For an Alaska Airlines flight arriving in Seattle this week, however, an incident
the aircraft had landed triggered an evacuation: a fire in the cargo hold that officials say was caused by a passenger'...
Verizon's Advice on Saving
Battery Life Was 'a Bit Weird'
Mar 1, 2021 8:39 AM CST
Verizon's Advice on Saving Battery Life Was 'a Bit Weird'
Tweet indirectly suggested turning off 5G, which the company has been heavily promoting
- Just last week, MarketWatch asked: "Will 5G ever live up to the hype?" According to those who spotted now-deleted tweets from Verizon about the much-promoted cellular technology, it looks like the answer, at least for now, is somewhat of a no. The Verge first spotted the company's Sunday...
Christopher Walken Has
a Surprising Confession
in case you missed it
Dec 19, 2020 7:00 AM CST
Christopher Walken Has a Surprising Confession
77-year-old actor says he's never sent a text or email
- Christopher Walken says he doesn't have any moral or philosophical objections to modern communications technology—he just doesn't use it. The 77-year-old actor told Stephen Colbert on
The Late Show
on Monday that he has never owned a computer or sent an email or text message. "Somebody...
Woman Arrested in Odd
Kerfuffle Over Cell Service
Feb 22, 2020 12:30 PM CST
Woman Arrested in Odd Kerfuffle Over Cell Service
Seloni Khetarpal complained after her parents cut off her cellphone service
- An Ohio woman was arrested for calling 911 when her parents cut off her cellphone service, authorities said. Seloni Khetarpal was arrested Feb. 13 by Massillon police and charged with disrupting police services, a fourth-degree felony, the AP reports. Jail records show that Khetarpal, 36, repeatedly called emergency dispatchers because...
Guy Asks Jail Guard to Charge
His Phone, Gets 12 Years
Jan 18, 2020 4:00 PM CST
Guy Asks Jail Guard to Charge His Phone, Gets 12 Years
Willie Nash calls the sentence 'grossly disproportionate to the crime'
- A man arrested on a misdemeanor charge in Mississippi has been sentenced to 12 years for carrying a cellphone in jail, NBC News reports. Willie Nash was found guilty of carrying the contraband in August 2018, and didn't appeal the verdict, but called the sentence "grossly disproportionate to...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
A 'Shocking' Find on Trading Ahead of Hamas' Oct. 7 Attack
Fetterman Forks Over $343.20 for a Santos Troll Video
Canadian Entrepreneur, Philanthropist Found Dead With His Partner
Mackenzie Phillips: I Forgave Dad for Me, Not Him
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.