Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
This Party Drug
May Soon Treat
Aug 18, 2016 7:48 AM CDT
This Party Drug May Soon Treat Depression
Clinical trials on ketamine now underway
- A controversial party drug might become the first new treatment for depression in about 50 years, reports CNN . Clinical trials are underway focusing on ketamine or "Special K" and its reported ability to ease depression , particularly in those who don't respond to other treatments. Initially used as an...
Club Drug 'Special K'
Could Treat Depression
May 21, 2013 10:56 AM CDT
Club Drug 'Special K' Could Treat Depression
Study suggests drug for physical pain could treat psychological pain too
- Doctors use it as an anesthetic and ravers use it to hallucinate, but a new study indicates that ketamine might have another trick up its sleeve: treating depression. A new study found that the drug the kids call "Special K" is effective at treating major depression compared to an...
Cereal Over ...
Feb 20, 2013 1:21 PM CST
Kellogg Recalls Cereal Over ... Glass Shards
Special K with red berries might be a little too crunchy
- Fans of Special K will want to note this recall alert from Kellogg: Some packages of the cereal with red berries might have glass fragments, reports ABC News . Sound familiar? Yep, Lean Cuisine had a similar recall recently. The Kellogg recall, presumably from a production snafu, affects packages of 11....
Drug Users Worldwide
Fall into 'K-Hole'
May 23, 2009 12:28 PM CDT
Drug Users Worldwide Fall into 'K-Hole'
Ketamine remains legal in some places, but can cause severe problems
- “Special K” isn’t part of the most important meal of the day. It’s part of a dangerous trend that’s seeing recreational drug users turn to ketamine, a substance commonly used as a horse tranquilizer, GlobalPost reports. In humans, ketamine induces a hallucinogenic, immobile state. “Everything...
Partying Brits High on
'Special K' Horse Drug
Jan 15, 2009 3:17 AM CST
Partying Brits High on 'Special K' Horse Drug
Cheap ketamine pushing aside cocaine
- Horse tranquilizer "Special K" or ketamine has become one of the most popular illegal drugs in Britain, pushing aside cocaine, according to a crime survey. Ketamine—which can be swallowed, snorted, injected and smoked—can cause respiratory failure, but its low cost and reputation for being "safe" and...
Popular on Newser
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
Judge Sentences Woman to Work in Fast-Food Restaurant
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
This Could Be Behind 'Mystery' Dog Illnesses
Here's What Happens When You Go Vegan for a Month
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.