Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
She's Only the 5th Woman to Win Nobel in Physics
Stories 1 - 20 |
Some Big Names
Went to Bat for Masterson
in Support Letters
Sep 9, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
Some Big Names Went to Bat for Masterson in Support Letters
Ashton Kutcher, Mila Kunis called 'That '70s Show' co-star a 'role model' who helped them avoid drugs
- Nearly 50 people submitted letters in support of
That '70s Show
actor Danny Masterson ahead of his sentencing this week for the rape of two women in 2003, and now some of those letters are coming to light, with some big names behind them. Married couple Ashton Kutcher and...
Letter: 'I Am More
Valuable to Them
Alive Than Dead'
Sep 5, 2023 6:29 AM CDT
Hemingway Letter: 'I Am More Valuable to Them Alive Than Dead'
Author's note to his lawyer after 2 plane crashes talks about injuries, beef with Abercrombie & Fitch
- A letter that author Ernest Hemingway wrote to his attorney soon after he'd endured back-to-back plane crashes just sold for big bucks on the auction block. NPR reports the that four-page note, scrawled on stationery from a hotel in Venice, Italy, went for $237,055 via Nate D. Sanders...
George Harrison's Mom
Was a Bit Irked by His Fans
Aug 14, 2023 10:00 AM CDT
George Harrison's Mom Was a Bit Irked by His Fans
In letter up for auction, Louise Harrison says she was 'disgusted' by screaming girls, 'ashamed' to be female
- If there was one Beatles song that the late George Harrison's mom could've picked to describe how she felt about some fans of her son's band, "Get Back" may have been a top contender. At least that's the impression one gets from a letter penned...
On Death Row, He Got a Letter
That 'Brought Me to My Knees'
Jun 11, 2023 8:00 AM CDT
On Death Row, He Got a Letter That 'Brought Me to My Knees'
'Atlantic' story relays tale of forgiveness offered to a murderer from his victim's granddaughter
- One effective way to wrangle with tough emotions is to keep a journal, but for Sarah Gregory, she channeled her rage into a letter—one sent to her grandmother's killer, now on death row in Alabama. As told to Elizabeth Bruenig in her piece for the
, Gregory recalls...
George Washington Letter
Sees Him Pressed for Cash
Feb 21, 2023 2:36 PM CST
George Washington Letter Sees Him Pressed for Cash
Previously unknown 1787 letter about land for sale expected to fetch $50K at auction
- A previously unknown letter from George Washington in which the first US president hints at financial troubles is ironically expected to fetch $50,000 at auction, CNN reports. Raab Collection, an auction house with a focus on historical documents, revealed the discovery of the 1787 letter "unknown to scholars"...
Gets a Scathing
Oct 27, 2022 9:15 AM CDT
Barrett's Book Gets a Scathing Literary Reaction
In open letter, literati blast publisher, SCOTUS justice over 'fundamental human right' of abortion
- Not everyone is thrilled about Amy Coney Barrett's upcoming book , including a couple hundred literary notables who've signed a scathing open letter to her publisher. The
reports on the letter —titled "We Dissent" and signed by close to 250 "members of the writing, publishing,...
Lennon's Angry Letter
to McCartney Up for Sale
Aug 5, 2022 10:38 AM CDT
Lennon's Angry Letter to McCartney Up for Sale
'You know damn well we can't just sign a bit of paper'
- An angry note John Lennon penned to Paul McCartney after the breakup of the Beatles has resurfaced on the auction block. Lennon sent one copy of the three-page typed letter dated Nov. 24, 1971, to McCartney and another to Richard Williams, the editor of British music magazine
ISIS Captive's Letter to Dad
Leaves Courtroom in 'Tears'
Apr 7, 2022 10:10 AM CDT
ISIS Captive's Letter to Dad Leaves Courtroom in 'Tears'
Peter Kassig, killed in 2014, wrote that his last thought would be of the love of his parents
- If Peter Kassig was true to his word, the only thought running through his mind as he was beheaded by Islamic State terrorists was how much his parents loved him. Ed Kassig, the father of the US aid worker who was taken hostage in Syria in 2013 and killed a...
Feb 20, 2022 2:35 PM CST
Competition Decodes Letter by Dickens
Meaning of 1859 page of symbols and scribbles had been a mystery
- The works of Charles Dickens are widely read, but a single page had defied scholars for more than a century. The contents of the letter, written in 1859, remained a mystery because it consisted not of letters of any alphabet but of symbols, dots, and scribbles—a shorthand all Dickens'...
on Doomed PM's
for Big Bucks
Jan 28, 2022 2:47 PM CST
Terrorists' Note on Doomed PM's Kidnapping Sells for Big Bucks
1978 letter from Italy's Red Brigades blew past auction estimate, goes for $29K
- A 1978 note announcing the abduction of a former Italian prime minister by the group that would later kill him has sold for 15 times the estimate at a controversial auction in Rome. The two-sided letter from communist guerrilla group Red Brigades, written on the group's letterhead, was the...
1945 Letter Finally Delivered:
'It's Like He Came Back to Me'
Jan 7, 2022 10:04 AM CST
1945 Letter Finally Delivered: 'It's Like He Came Back to Me'
John Gonsalves' widow received letter intended for late husband's mother
- A letter sent from a US soldier stationed in Germany to his mother in Massachusetts has been delivered 76 years after it was sent, per the AP . Army Sgt. John Gonsalves, 22 at the time, wrote to his mother in Woburn in December 1945 after the official end of WWII,...
Just Threw Gaetz
Under the Bus
Apr 30, 2021 7:24 AM CDT
Daily Beast: Associate's Letter Just Threw Gaetz Under the Bus
Congressman paid for sex with multiple girls, including a minor, Joel Greenberg confesses in note
- Word on the DOJ investigation into GOP Rep. Matt Gaetz and associate Joel Greenberg over possible violations of federal sex-trafficking laws has been quiet over the past couple of weeks. That changed Thursday with an update from the Daily Beast . It got its hands on three drafts of a confessional...
She Laid Her Husband to Rest.
3 Days Later, a Racist Letter
Mar 25, 2021 11:40 AM CDT
She Laid Her Husband to Rest. 3 Days Later, a Racist Letter
'How cruel could you be?' Claudia Choi asks after anti-Asian note is sent to her grieving mother
- When Byong Choi died of tuberculosis at age 83 last month, the Korean American's family had to put off his funeral in Orange County, Calif., until March 19 because of COVID restrictions, reports the
. Three days after they finally laid him to rest, a "disturbing and...
Biden Has One Adjective
for Letter Trump Left Him
Jan 21, 2021 7:07 AM CST
Biden Has One Adjective for Letter Trump Left Him
- The outgoing President Trump did maintain one tradition: He left a letter in the Oval Office for his successor. What it says is unknown, with
reporting a White House rep said only, "It's a letter between 45 and 46." President Biden elaborated slightly Wednesday night...
Letter by 2 Great
Artists Sells for
Jun 17, 2020 10:25 AM CDT
Only Known Letter by 2 Great Artists Sells for Big Bucks
1888 letter was written weeks before Van Gogh, Gauguin's relationship soured
- The Vincent Van Gogh Foundation has purchased the only known letter signed by artists Vincent Van Gogh and Paul Gauguin at an auction in Paris. The cost of the four sheets of paper: $237,700, per Reuters . The artists penned the letter to fellow painter Emile Bernard in early November...
Obama, Biden Have Same
Word for GOP Super PAC Ad
Feb 27, 2020 7:03 AM CST
Obama, Biden Have Same Word for GOP Super PAC Ad
- Barack Obama has remained relatively quiet on the political scene in the years since he left the Oval Office—but he's voicing his displeasure with an ad attacking his former VP. CNN reports that the law office representing Obama sent a cease-and-desist letter Wednesday to a GOP super PAC...
Missing for 30-Plus Years,
$1.3M Columbus Letter Found
Jan 24, 2020 6:33 AM CST
Missing for 30-Plus Years, $1.3M Columbus Letter Found
Copy of note sent to Spain's King Ferdinand was stolen from Italy in the '80s
- In 1492, Columbus sailed the ocean blue; in 1493, he wrote a letter about his trip across the sea to Spain's King Ferdinand, and two editions of it were printed to spread across Europe. Only about 30 copies of the first edition of the Plannck I letter still exist,...
Kremlin Comments on
Trump's Letter to Turkey
Oct 17, 2019 12:24 PM CDT
Kremlin Comments on Trump's Letter to Turkey
'You don’t often encounter such language in correspondence between heads of state'
- Count the Kremlin among those puzzled by the personal letter President Trump sent to Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan. “You don’t often encounter such language in correspondence between heads of state," says spokesman Dmitry Peskov. "It's a highly unusual letter." Among other things, Trump...
Big-Name CEOs to Congress:
You Need to Act Now
Sep 12, 2019 12:35 PM CDT
Big-Name CEOs to Congress: You Need to Act Now
Heads of Twitter, Uber, others write letter asking for tougher gun laws
- The CEOs of nearly 150 companies are stepping into the nation's gun debate, imploring Congress to expand background checks and enact a strong "red flag" law. In a letter sent to the Senate on Thursday, CEOs from businesses including Airbnb, Twitter, and Uber asked Congress to pass a...
Top Navy SEAL Warns:
'We Have a Problem'
Aug 2, 2019 9:25 AM CDT
Top Navy SEAL Warns: 'We Have a Problem'
Addressing 'good order and discipline problem' is 'top priority'
- The commander of the Naval Special Warfare Command put the words "We have a problem" in bold font. "I don't know yet if we have a culture problem, I do know that we have a good order and discipline problem that must be addressed immediately," reads...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
9-Year-Old Who Vanished While Camping Is Found Safe
She's Expected to Be a Senator in 2 Days
Crews Cleaning Storm Debris May Have Solved a Cold Case
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
Married Couple Killed by Grizzly Bear in Banff
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.