Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Gets a Scathing
Oct 27, 2022 9:15 AM CDT
Barrett's Book Gets a Scathing Literary Reaction
In open letter, literati blast publisher, SCOTUS justice over 'fundamental human right' of abortion
- Not everyone is thrilled about Amy Coney Barrett's upcoming book , including a couple hundred literary notables who've signed a scathing open letter to her publisher. The
reports on the letter —titled "We Dissent" and signed by close to 250 "members of the writing, publishing,...
Lennon's Angry Letter
to McCartney Up for Sale
Aug 5, 2022 10:38 AM CDT
Lennon's Angry Letter to McCartney Up for Sale
'You know damn well we can't just sign a bit of paper'
- An angry note John Lennon penned to Paul McCartney after the breakup of the Beatles has resurfaced on the auction block. Lennon sent one copy of the three-page typed letter dated Nov. 24, 1971, to McCartney and another to Richard Williams, the editor of British music magazine
ISIS Captive's Letter to Dad
Leaves Courtroom in 'Tears'
Apr 7, 2022 10:10 AM CDT
ISIS Captive's Letter to Dad Leaves Courtroom in 'Tears'
Peter Kassig, killed in 2014, wrote that his last thought would be of the love of his parents
- If Peter Kassig was true to his word, the only thought running through his mind as he was beheaded by Islamic State terrorists was how much his parents loved him. Ed Kassig, the father of the US aid worker who was taken hostage in Syria in 2013 and killed a...
Feb 20, 2022 2:35 PM CST
Competition Decodes Letter by Dickens
Meaning of 1859 page of symbols and scribbles had been a mystery
- The works of Charles Dickens are widely read, but a single page had defied scholars for more than a century. The contents of the letter, written in 1859, remained a mystery because it consisted not of letters of any alphabet but of symbols, dots, and scribbles—a shorthand all Dickens'...
on Doomed PM's
for Big Bucks
Jan 28, 2022 2:47 PM CST
Terrorists' Note on Doomed PM's Kidnapping Sells for Big Bucks
1978 letter from Italy's Red Brigades blew past auction estimate, goes for $29K
- A 1978 note announcing the abduction of a former Italian prime minister by the group that would later kill him has sold for 15 times the estimate at a controversial auction in Rome. The two-sided letter from communist guerrilla group Red Brigades, written on the group's letterhead, was the...
1945 Letter Finally Delivered:
'It's Like He Came Back to Me'
Jan 7, 2022 10:04 AM CST
1945 Letter Finally Delivered: 'It's Like He Came Back to Me'
John Gonsalves' widow received letter intended for late husband's mother
- A letter sent from a US soldier stationed in Germany to his mother in Massachusetts has been delivered 76 years after it was sent, per the AP . Army Sgt. John Gonsalves, 22 at the time, wrote to his mother in Woburn in December 1945 after the official end of WWII,...
Just Threw Gaetz
Under the Bus
Apr 30, 2021 7:24 AM CDT
Daily Beast: Associate's Letter Just Threw Gaetz Under the Bus
Congressman paid for sex with multiple girls, including a minor, Joel Greenberg confesses in note
- Word on the DOJ investigation into GOP Rep. Matt Gaetz and associate Joel Greenberg over possible violations of federal sex-trafficking laws has been quiet over the past couple of weeks. That changed Thursday with an update from the Daily Beast . It got its hands on three drafts of a confessional...
She Laid Her Husband to Rest.
3 Days Later, a Racist Letter
Mar 25, 2021 11:40 AM CDT
She Laid Her Husband to Rest. 3 Days Later, a Racist Letter
'How cruel could you be?' Claudia Choi asks after anti-Asian note is sent to her grieving mother
- When Byong Choi died of tuberculosis at age 83 last month, the Korean American's family had to put off his funeral in Orange County, Calif., until March 19 because of COVID restrictions, reports the
. Three days after they finally laid him to rest, a "disturbing and...
Biden Has One Adjective
for Letter Trump Left Him
Jan 21, 2021 7:07 AM CST
Biden Has One Adjective for Letter Trump Left Him
- The outgoing President Trump did maintain one tradition: He left a letter in the Oval Office for his successor. What it says is unknown, with
reporting a White House rep said only, "It's a letter between 45 and 46." President Biden elaborated slightly Wednesday night...
Letter by 2 Great
Artists Sells for
Jun 17, 2020 10:25 AM CDT
Only Known Letter by 2 Great Artists Sells for Big Bucks
1888 letter was written weeks before Van Gogh, Gauguin's relationship soured
- The Vincent Van Gogh Foundation has purchased the only known letter signed by artists Vincent Van Gogh and Paul Gauguin at an auction in Paris. The cost of the four sheets of paper: $237,700, per Reuters . The artists penned the letter to fellow painter Emile Bernard in early November...
Obama, Biden Have Same
Word for GOP Super PAC Ad
Feb 27, 2020 7:03 AM CST
Obama, Biden Have Same Word for GOP Super PAC Ad
- Barack Obama has remained relatively quiet on the political scene in the years since he left the Oval Office—but he's voicing his displeasure with an ad attacking his former VP. CNN reports that the law office representing Obama sent a cease-and-desist letter Wednesday to a GOP super PAC...
Missing for 30-Plus Years,
$1.3M Columbus Letter Found
Jan 24, 2020 6:33 AM CST
Missing for 30-Plus Years, $1.3M Columbus Letter Found
Copy of note sent to Spain's King Ferdinand was stolen from Italy in the '80s
- In 1492, Columbus sailed the ocean blue; in 1493, he wrote a letter about his trip across the sea to Spain's King Ferdinand, and two editions of it were printed to spread across Europe. Only about 30 copies of the first edition of the Plannck I letter still exist,...
Kremlin Comments on
Trump's Letter to Turkey
Oct 17, 2019 12:24 PM CDT
Kremlin Comments on Trump's Letter to Turkey
'You don’t often encounter such language in correspondence between heads of state'
- Count the Kremlin among those puzzled by the personal letter President Trump sent to Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan. “You don’t often encounter such language in correspondence between heads of state," says spokesman Dmitry Peskov. "It's a highly unusual letter." Among other things, Trump...
Big-Name CEOs to Congress:
You Need to Act Now
Sep 12, 2019 12:35 PM CDT
Big-Name CEOs to Congress: You Need to Act Now
Heads of Twitter, Uber, others write letter asking for tougher gun laws
- The CEOs of nearly 150 companies are stepping into the nation's gun debate, imploring Congress to expand background checks and enact a strong "red flag" law. In a letter sent to the Senate on Thursday, CEOs from businesses including Airbnb, Twitter, and Uber asked Congress to pass a...
Top Navy SEAL Warns:
'We Have a Problem'
Aug 2, 2019 9:25 AM CDT
Top Navy SEAL Warns: 'We Have a Problem'
Addressing 'good order and discipline problem' is 'top priority'
- The commander of the Naval Special Warfare Command put the words "We have a problem" in bold font. "I don't know yet if we have a culture problem, I do know that we have a good order and discipline problem that must be addressed immediately," reads...
Man Who Wrote
Message in a Bottle
in 1969 Is Found
Jul 18, 2019 7:53 AM CDT
Man Who Wrote Message in a Bottle in 1969 Is Found
Too bad Paul Gilmore is at sea, again
- Crossing the world on a steamship in 1969, 13-year-old Paul Gilmore decided he'd seek out a new penpal. He now has one, in the form of a 9-year-old boy who discovered Gilmore's message in a bottle on a beach in South Australia. The yellowed note on Sitmar Line...
Why Ariana Cried at Concert:
'I'm Still Processing a Lot'
Jul 8, 2019 9:12 AM CDT
Why Ariana Cried at Concert: 'I'm Still Processing a Lot'
Fans were concerned after singer broke down during set Saturday in Missouri
- The past couple of years have been rough ones for Ariana Grande: Ex-boyfriend Mac Miller died , she split with fiance Pete Davidson , and a suicide bomber killed nearly two dozen people at her May 2017 concert in Manchester, England. So when videos started circulating online showing Grande crying during the...
to Pin Sex Abuse on
Apr 11, 2019 8:35 AM CDT
Benedict Emerges to Pin Sex Abuse on Sexual Revolution
He publishes a 6K-word letter 'to assist in this difficult hour'
- Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI has emerged from the shadows with a new letter that assigns blame for the clergy abuse crisis. In a 6,000-word letter whose authenticity was confirmed by Benedict's personal secretary, Benedict begins by writing that his remarks are intended "to assist in this difficult...
State Over New
Mar 30, 2019 9:48 AM CDT
Celebs Threaten State Over New Abortion Bill
Alyssa Milano spearheads petition against Georgia's 'heartbeat' bill
- Hollywood has Georgia on its mind—and not in a good way. Fifty actors have signed a petition threatening to urge film and TV production away from the state if it passes a new abortion bill, the Huffington Post reports. Alyssa Milano spearheaded the petition, which says "billions of...
Harper Lee Groused About
Town Trying to Exploit Her
Mar 12, 2019 11:23 AM CDT
Harper Lee Groused About Town Trying to Exploit Her
'They are trying to turn Harper Lee into a tourist attraction like Graceland and Elvis Presley'
To Kill a Mockingbird
author Harper Lee railed against her Alabama hometown for trying to exploit her success, registering her complaints in a letter that helps explain later legal battles involving commercialization of her novel. The writer's bitter assessment of Monroeville comes in a three-page letter that's being...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Boy Dies After 'the Most Exciting Moment of His Life'
New Jersey Lawmaker Murdered Near Her Home
Video Shown at Trial Seems to Contradict Alex Murdaugh's Alibi
House GOP Ousts Democrat Omar From Major Committee
Zoo Director Allegedly Cooked Zoo Animals for Party
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.