Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 41 - 60 |
Has Him in
Jun 16, 2022 11:10 AM CDT
Bus Driver's Sweet Snack Has Him in Hot Water
Jinhuan Chen, who blacked out behind wheel, says he didn't know gummies he ate had THC in them
- A commercial bus driver has been charged with 38 counts of reckless endangerment after blacking out behind the steering wheel while snacking on gummies he says he didn't know were infused with THC. Jinhuan Chen appeared Tuesday in Bridgeport Superior Court after being arrested at his home in Boston,...
Cops: Video Doesn't
Show Boy, 6, Being
Jun 11, 2022 9:45 AM CDT
Cops: Video Doesn't Show Boy, 6, Being Intentionally Burned
Family of Dominick Krankall, 6, who suffered serious burns to face, had claimed bully attacked him
Police in Bridgeport, Conn., have examined footage to see what they could find out about a 6-year-old who was seriously burned in late April—and their assessment is that there's no evidence from that footage that Dominick Krankall was deliberately attacked, per NBC News . Authorities are said to...
in 'Fitbit' Trial
May 11, 2022 3:01 AM CDT
Husband Convicted of Wife's Murder in 'Fitbit' Trial
Richard Dabate said one thing, his wife's fitness tracker said another
- The Connecticut man who claimed a home intruder murdered his wife two days before Christmas in 2015 was on Tuesday convicted of murdering her himself. Richard Dabate claimed he left for work that morning, then returned home around 9am after realizing he'd left his laptop behind, and found the...
Here Are the
10 Best States
for Remote Workers
Apr 5, 2022 4:32 PM CDT
Here Are the 10 Best States for Remote Workers
The Garden State tops WalletHub's list
- During the pandemic, much of America got a taste of what it's like to be a full-time telecommuter. Now that many businesses have started to open back up, a good number of them are allowing workers to remain remote. To see which states are most conducive to this type...
Prosecutors: Ex-Yale Worker
Swiped $40M in Electronics
Mar 30, 2022 8:00 AM CDT
Prosecutors: Ex-Yale Worker Swiped $40M in Electronics
Jamie Petrone pleaded guilty to wire fraud, which could land her in jail for up to 20 years
- For nearly a decade, Jamie Petrone had the ability, in her role as an administrator for the Yale School of Medicine, to place orders for computers and other electronics for the school's Department of Emergency Medicine. Prosecutors say that routine administrative task turned into a yearslong scheme that brought...
This State Is
Feb 14, 2022 10:50 AM CST
This State Is America's Smartest
Massachusetts is most educated, per WalletHub ranking; West Virginia is least
- Schools have taken a big hit during the pandemic, with continual disruptions to in-person learning in elementary and secondary schools and colleges across the nation. Still, as WalletHub notes, "amid these struggles, some states are able to provide safe, quality education more than others." To find out which...
FBI Warns of
'Route 91 Bandit':
'We Need to Put
a Stop to This'
Feb 14, 2022 7:00 AM CST
FBI Warns of 'Route 91 Bandit': 'We Need to Put a Stop to This'
$10K reward for perp who's hit nearly a dozen banks along New England interstate
- His disguise is no more elaborate than a coronavirus-preventing face mask (usually not worn properly, hanging underneath his nose), but the man dubbed the "Route 91 Bandit" has still managed to pull off nearly a dozen bank robberies throughout New England over the past several months. Now, the FBI...
Cops Tasked With
Jan 31, 2022 9:40 AM CST
Cops Tasked With Investigating Black Women's Deaths Suspended
Families of Lauren Smith-Fields, Brenda Rawls say police in Bridgeport, Conn., bungled probes
Two Connecticut police officers involved with investigating the deaths of two Black women have been suspended and placed on administrative leave during an internal affairs probe, reports CBS News . In a Sunday statement, Bridgeport Mayor Joe Ganim said he was "extremely disappointed" with his city's police department...
Police Find 100 Bags of
Fentanyl in Dead Boy's Room
Jan 27, 2022 12:57 AM CST
Police Find 100 Bags of Fentanyl in Dead Boy's Room
Authorities are still investigating how he got the dangerous drug
- The 13-year-old boy who collapsed at his Connecticut school after ingesting fentanyl and died two days later had 100 bags of the synthetic opioid in his bedroom, authorities say. Sixty bags had been found at the school after the incident, ABC News reports, and the 100 bags found in the...
Man Fired, Charged After
Rant in Smoothie Store
Jan 25, 2022 6:40 PM CST
Man Fired, Charged After Rant in Smoothie Store
Video shows James Iannazzo call one worker an 'immigrant loser'
- A Connecticut man who went into a smoothie store to complain went so far over the line that he lost his job and is facing criminal charges—including a felony. Police in Fairfield say James Iannazzo, 48, was arrested after workers at a Robeks said he was "throwing things,...
Here Are the 10 States
People Are Fleeing
Jan 25, 2022 3:31 PM CST
Here Are the 10 States People Are Fleeing
Residents are especially saying so long to New Jersey
- Over the past year, people in the US made some major life changes—including moving out of state. Whether it was to be closer to family during the pandemic or simply a desire for a life in a less-dense area, plenty of Americans made mini-migrations across state lines. United Van...
Boy, 13, Dies After
Collapsing at School
Jan 17, 2022 3:01 AM CST
Boy, 13, Dies After Ingesting Fentanyl, Collapsing at School
It's not clear how he got access to the dangerous opioid
- A 13-year-old Connecticut boy died Saturday, two days after collapsing during gym class in his school's gymnasium due to a fentanyl overdose. Two other students who came in contact with the drug and were hospitalized at the same time have been released,
reports. The mayor of Hartford,...
Dead Teen Hockey Player's
Friend Petitions for New Rule
Jan 16, 2022 5:15 PM CST
Dead Teen Hockey Player's Friend Petitions for New Rule
Skater wants neck guards to be required
- A high school student who lost his friend doesn’t want anyone else to go through that. When 16-year-old high school sophomore Teddy Balkind suffered a fatal injury during a hockey game in Connecticut a week ago, he wasn’t wearing a neck guard. At first, authorities said Teddy had...
Here Are the Best, Worst
States to Raise a Family
Jan 10, 2022 10:45 AM CST
Here Are the Best, Worst States to Raise a Family
Massachusetts ranks highest in WalletHub's rankings, Mississippi comes in at the bottom
- Finding the best place to settle down and raise a family can prove a tough choice, with different levels of import placed on the various factors in play, depending on who's being asked. WalletHub looked at more than four dozen metrics in five main categories to help ease the...
Community Mourns Teen
Killed in Freak Accident
Jan 9, 2022 2:45 PM CST
Community Mourns Teen Killed in Freak Accident
Hockey player fell and was struck by another kid
- A community is mourning a high school sophomore after a hockey game turned tragic. Teddy Balkind was playing in a matchup between his school, St. Luke’s of New Canaan, Conn., and Brunswick School in Greenwich when he fell. Another student wasn’t able to stop in time to avoid...
High School Coach
Jan 7, 2022 7:15 AM CST
High School Coach Suspended After 92-4 Win: 'No Mercy'
Conn. girls basketball coach Jason Kirck slammed for unsportsmanlike conduct
- If your basketball team is winning by, say, 30 points, it's usually considered unsportsmanlike to keep making fast breaks and shooting three-pointers. Jason Kirck is finding out the hard way what happens when you violate that often-unspoken sports etiquette to the extreme. The coach was handed a suspension after...
School Board Meeting Over
Mascot Ends With a Punch
Dec 15, 2021 3:14 PM CST
School Board Meeting Over Mascot Ends With a Punch
Things got heated in Glastonbury, Conn., Tuesday night
- A school board meeting in Connecticut got heated on Tuesday, and for once, COVID requirements and critical race theory weren't the cause. At issue was Glastonbury High School mascots, the subject of the special board of education meeting being held that night in Glastonbury. The school's mascot has...
Cops Grab Canoe
to Save Elderly Man
Nov 9, 2021 4:20 PM CST
Cops Grab Canoe to Save Elderly Man
He was submerged in cold waters off the Connecticut coast
- Police officers in coastal Connecticut grabbed a nearby canoe belonging to a private citizen instead of waiting for a police boat when they located a missing elderly man early Tuesday. The Westport officers paddled to the rescue after spotting the man partially submerged off Saugatuck Shores Beach, reports the
Cops: Wife Duped Husband for
Years, to the Tune of $600K
in case you missed it
Oct 31, 2021 8:45 AM CDT
Cops: Wife Duped Husband for Years, to the Tune of $600K
Donna Marino's spouse didn't have Alzheimer's but she made him think he did to control his money
- For two decades, a Connecticut man says he let his wife handle virtually all of his finances for him, a move he apparently felt even more necessary once he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. At least, he thought he'd been diagnosed with Alzheimer's. East Haven police say that'...
10 Safest, Least Safe
States in US
Oct 26, 2021 11:27 AM CDT
10 Safest, Least Safe States in US
Vermont is No. 1 and Louisiana is last
- WalletHub usually considers a wide range of factors in determining the safest states in America, including the number of assaults, mass shootings, and terrorist attacks. This year, with the coronavirus pandemic still in play, it's also considering the percentage of residents who are fully vaccinated. That's one...
Stories 41 - 60 |
Popular on Newser
MSU Head Coach Fired for 'Moral Turpitude'
Young Baltimore Tech CEO Allegedly Killed by Violent Repeat Offender
US Soldier Who Crossed Into North Korea Back in US Custody
Family Decries Cyclist's 'Sick' Murder by Laughing Teens
26-Year-Old Tech CEO Found Dead in Baltimore
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.