Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Court Orders New Primary
in Ballot-Stuffing Suit
Nov 1, 2023 4:37 PM CDT
Court Orders New Primary in Ballot-Stuffing Suit
After watching video, Connecticut judge says he can't tell what the genuine result is
- A state judge has taken the unusual step of ordering a new Democratic mayoral primary in Connecticut's largest city to be held after the Nov. 7 general election is completed. The decision comes after surveillance videos showed a woman stuffing what appeared to be absentee ballots into an outdoor...
This Is the Safest
State in America
Oct 23, 2023 5:40 PM CDT
This Is the Safest State in America
Vermont tops WalletHub's list, while Louisiana comes in last
- After the upheaval of the pandemic, it's soothing to get back to "normal." But that normality has brought us back to Earth on many other issues we're still contending with, including general safety, a term that can encompass many different forms. To see which states keep...
Cops Say She Came
In Firing. Bulletproof
Glass Saved Them
Oct 7, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
Cops Say She Came In Firing. Bulletproof Glass Saved Them
Woman allegedly started firing away inside police station in Bristol, Connecticut
- A woman fired several gunshots in the lobby of a Connecticut police station, but bulletproof glass prevented anyone from being injured, authorities said Friday as they charged her with attempted murder and other crimes. The shooting happened at the Bristol Police Department just after 10:30pm local time on Thursday,...
Murder to Get
Sep 21, 2023 9:45 AM CDT
Pair Wrongfully Convicted of Murder to Get $25M Payout
Connecticut settlement involves forensic expert Henry Lee, accused of fabricating evidence
- Connecticut's attorney general has agreed to a $25.2 million settlement with two men who spent decades in prison for murder, based partly on evidence presented by famed forensic scientist Henry Lee that a judge later found was fabricated. Ralph "Ricky" Birch and Shawn Henning were convicted in...
Young Professionals, Check
Out the Work Climate Here
Sep 18, 2023 12:34 PM CDT
Young Professionals, Check Out the Work Climate Here
New England dominates Scholaroo's best states for workers trying to establish their careers
- If you've just graduated or are graduating soon and are looking for a place to jump-start your career, some states offer more in the way of job markets and affordable living. Scholaroo attempts to flesh out which US states are the best for today's young professionals, using nearly...
This Is the Happiest
State in America
Sep 16, 2023 2:40 PM CDT
This Is the Happiest State in America
Utah takes the top spot in WalletHub ranking, West Virginia is last
- In some states, happiness seems to come more easily. WalletHub analyzed various environmental factors to see which US states boast more contented surroundings, examining 30 metrics in three main categories: emotional and physical well-being, including such factors as the share of adults with depression or alcohol use disorder, life expectancy,...
Drivers in This State Are
the Most Confrontational
Sep 3, 2023 1:10 PM CDT
Drivers in This State Are the Most Confrontational
Arizona tops Forbes Advisor's list of those with the most road rage
- Road rage: Most of us have dealt with it, in one form or another. Those different forms—cutting people off, not letting others change lanes, honking the horn, and flipping the bird, just to name a few—are what Forbes Advisor included in its attempt to determine which states have...
Man Who Found Bag
With $5K Inside Arrested
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Sep 3, 2023 11:40 AM CDT
Man Who Found Bag With $5K Inside Arrested
The problem, police say, is that Connecticut man kept the cash
- A Connecticut man says it felt like he won the lottery when he discovered a bag with nearly $5,000 in cash lying in a parking lot. So, he decided to keep it. Three months later, he has been charged with larceny, the AP reports. It turns out the bag,...
A Stolen Vehicle Crashed Into
a Cop Car. Inside, a Surprise
Aug 18, 2023 8:50 AM CDT
A Stolen Vehicle Crashed Into a Cop Car. Inside, a Surprise
The owner, a juvenile, fled the crash site and was later arrested; suspect never mentioned the cat
- Connecticut police who found a kitten in a stolen car say they've located the animal's owner: a juvenile suspect who fled and was arrested after the car crashed. The Meriden Police Department said on its Facebook page Thursday that the gray-and-white male cat, believed to be about 7...
Having a Baby
Aug 7, 2023 5:25 PM CDT
Having a Baby Soon? One State Outranks the Others
Massachusetts tops WalletHub's list, while Mississippi comes in last
- If your future plans include starting a family and you're open to a move (or wondering whether your current location is ideal), WalletHub has some insights. The site looked at all 50 states and the District of Columbia, not only on the issue of costs tied to having a...
Rabid Bobcat Attacks
Sleeping Camp Counselor
Jul 2, 2023 6:40 AM CDT
Rabid Bobcat Attacks Sleeping Camp Counselor
3 adults kill the animal in Connecticut park
- A rabid bobcat attacked a camp leader who was sleeping in a hammock at a Connecticut state park, but the victim and two other adults were able to kill the animal before anyone was seriously harmed, reports CNN . The three were treated for non-life-threatening injuries, and none of the youths...
2 More Cops
Fired in 'Appalling'
Randy Cox Case
Jun 29, 2023 9:15 AM CDT
2 More Cops Fired in 'Appalling' Randy Cox Case
Betsy Segui, Oscar Diaz join 2 others on pink-slip list after incident that left Conn. man paralyzed
- Two more cops in New Haven, Connecticut, involved in the case of Richard "Randy" Cox, a man paralyzed from the chest down during police transport last June, have been fired. NBC Connecticut reports that on Wednesday, the New Haven Board of Police Commissioners voted to pink-slip officers Betsy Segui...
After Police Transport
That Paralyzed Man
Jun 12, 2023 1:00 AM CDT
$45M Settlement After Police Transport That Paralyzed Man
It's a historic settlement in case of Randy Cox
- The man paralyzed during a rough police transport last year in Connecticut has reached a $45 million settlement with the city of New Haven. Richard "Randy" Cox filed a $100 million lawsuit against the city and its police department last year, and what resulted is the largest police misconduct...
Workers Started the Concrete
Pour. Then the Floor Gave Way
Jun 3, 2023 8:30 AM CDT
Workers Started the Concrete Pour. Then the Floor Gave Way
8 injured as building under construction in New Haven, Connecticut, partially collapses
- A building under construction partially collapsed Friday in New Haven, Connecticut, when a concrete pour went awry, injuring eight workers, including two critically, city officials said, adding there were no fatalities. City firefighters and other authorities were called to Lafayette Street shortly after 12:30pm, per the AP . "Our...
Witches Hanged in 1600s
May 30, 2023 11:40 AM CDT
Connecticut Exonerates Witches Hanged in 1600s
Lawmakers pass legislation acknowledging miscarriage of justice
- Connecticut lawmakers have voted to formally exonerate accused witches who were punished by death nearly 400 years ago. The bill introduced in January by state Sen. Saud Anwar passed the Senate with a 33-1 vote on Thursday after clearing the state House in a 121-30 vote on May 10, per...
May 27, 2023 6:30 AM CDT
Bear Busts Into Bakery, Scarfs Down 60 Cupcakes
Bakery owner heard worker 'screaming bloody murder,' then walked in to quite a scene
- A hungry black bear barged into the garage of a Connecticut bakery, scared several employees, and helped itself to 60 cupcakes before ambling away. Workers at Taste by Spellbound in the town of Avon were loading cakes into a van for delivery on Wednesday when the bear showed up, per...
May 14, 2023 9:40 AM CDT
Connecticut Priest Happy About 'Very Cool Miracle'
Church asks Vatican to weigh in on whether one took place during communion
- A Catholic church is Connecticut is wondering whether it might have a miracle on its hands. In fact, St. Thomas Catholic Church in Thomaston has rounded up the evidence and asked the Vatican to formally weigh in, reports the
. The particulars are pretty straight-forward: In March, a lay...
Connecticut Woman Vanishes
While Hiking in Japan
May 2, 2023 8:14 AM CDT
Connecticut Woman Vanishes While Hiking in Japan
Patricia Wu-Murad hasn't been seen since April 10
- A 60-year-old Connecticut woman vanished on a hiking trail in Japan last month, and her family has traveled there to organize a remarkable search effort. But hope is fading because Patricia Wu-Murad has not been seen since April 10. "We're trying to hold out for a miracle but...
Apr 6, 2023 3:55 PM CDT
Ex-NBA Guard Arrested on Weapons Charge
Police say Ben Gordon was behaving erratically in a Connecticut juice shop
- Former NBA guard Ben Gordon was arrested on weapons and threatening charges after he began behaving erratically in a Connecticut juice shop, police said. The episode started just before 10am Tuesday when several 911 callers reported “a male acting aggressively and in a bizarre manner” inside a juice shop...
Duo Allegedly Cut Cables,
Took 40K People Offline
Apr 3, 2023 3:01 AM CDT
Duo Allegedly Cut Cables, Took 40K People Offline
2 suspects arrested in Connecticut incident
- More than 40,000 customers in the Norwalk, Connecticut, area lost internet service March 24, and police say two people are to blame. Jillian Nicole Person, 30, and Austin Keith Geddings, 26, both of North Carolina, were arrested April 1 after a surveillance operation, WTNH reports. Person was taken into...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
George Santos Is Expelled From Congress
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
Report: Israel Had Details of Hamas Attack for Over a Year
Santos: 'I No Longer Have to Answer a Single Question'
Sheriff Stands by 'Deeply Concerning' Arrest of Reporter
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.