Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
World Wrestling Entertainment
Stories 1 - 20 |
Jul 23, 2022 7:03 AM CDT
Amid Misconduct Probe, WWE's McMahon Is Retiring
With nary a mention of sexual harassment investigation, longtime CEO steps down at 77
- World Wrestling Entertainment impresario Vince McMahon announced Friday he is retiring amid an investigation into alleged misconduct involving the flamboyant showman who turned a small wrestling company into a worldwide entertainment business. In a brief statement, McMahon said he is retiring as the company's chairman and CEO. He noted...
Vince McMahon Paid Millions in
Hush Money to Staffers: Report
Jun 16, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Vince McMahon Paid Millions in Hush Money to Staffers: Report
Investigation reveals NDAs alleging misconduct by CEO and John Laurinaitis
- The WWE board of directors is investigating numerous secret nondisclosure agreements involving its chairman Vince McMahon, including a $3 million settlement paid to a former paralegal at the company to cover up an alleged affair. That's according to the
Wall Street Journal
, which spoke with sources who say the...
WWE Fans Don't Like Name
the Rock's Daughter Is Using
in case you missed it
Jun 4, 2022 5:05 PM CDT
WWE Fans Don't Like Name the Rock's Daughter Is Using
Simone Johnson will go by Ava Raine
- Simone Johnson—as in, Simone "daughter of Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson" Johnson—is following in her dad's footsteps, but not using his name. That last bit has some WWE fans upset. Johnson, 20, was signed by the professional wrestling organization in 2020 but has not yet made...
'Razor Ramon' Dead at 63
Mar 15, 2022 5:05 AM CDT
Wrestling Legend 'Razor Ramon' Dead at 63
Scott Hall had multiple heart attacks after fall, hip replacement surgery
- Scott Hall, or "Razor Ramon" as he was known in World Wrestling Entertainment, died Monday at age 63. Hall had suffered a fall and broke his hip in early March; he reportedly experienced complications during the ensuing hip replacement surgery. On Saturday, after suffering three heart attacks, he was...
'Mr. Wonderful' Dies
Jul 13, 2021 12:02 AM CDT
Wrestling Legend 'Mr. Wonderful' Dies
Paul Orndorff was 71
- One of the stars of World Wrestling Entertainment's 1980s heyday has died at age 71. Paul Orndorff, otherwise known as "Mr. Wonderful," signed with the World Wrestling Federation in 1983, and was managed by "Rowdy" Roddy Piper, who gave him his nickname, Deadline reports. During the...
Head Injuries Suit Against
WWE Goes to Supreme Court
Feb 18, 2021 4:45 PM CST
Head Injuries Suit Against WWE Goes to Supreme Court
Former wrestlers have lost in lower court rulings
- Dozens of former pro wrestlers who claimed in lawsuits that World Wrestling Entertainment failed to protect them from repeated head injuries are taking their case to the US Supreme Court. A lawyer for the former wrestlers, most of them stars in the 1980s and '90s, filed a request late...
'Save My Son'
May 20, 2020 10:40 AM CDT
Wrestler's Last Words: 'Save My Son'
Body of Shad Gaspard, 39, washes ashore in Venice Beach, Calif.
- Former WWE star Shad Gaspard has been confirmed dead after he disappeared in a rip current off Venice Beach, Calif., on Sunday. A person reported a body on the beach near Venice Pier around 1:30am Wednesday. The Los Angeles County coroner's office has since confirmed the body is...
Champ Accused of
Horrific Sexual Assault
May 11, 2020 2:02 AM CDT
Former WWE Champ Accused of Horrific Sexual Assault
Jose A. Rodriguez Chucuan, aka Alberto Del Rio, arrested in Texas
- A professional wrestler is facing charges after a woman accused him of a horrific, hours-long assault, News 4 San Antonio reports. Jose A. Rodriguez Chucuan, 42, known to wrestling fans as Alberto Del Rio, was arrested in San Antonio, Texas, after a woman told police that Chucuan beat her on...
Florida Deems WWE Essential
Apr 14, 2020 3:42 AM CDT
Florida Deems WWE Essential
WWE resumes broadcasting live shows
- World Wrestling Entertainment has been deemed an essential business in Florida. As TMZ reports (noting "no joke. This is real"), Orange County Mayor Jerry Demings was asked why WWE was still being allowed to film at Orlando's Performance Center. Demings said that while WWE was initially deemed...
Is Dead at 75
Jan 16, 2020 6:17 AM CST
The Rock's Famous Dad Is Dead at 75
Rocky Johnson, father of Dwayne Johnson, reportedly died at home after illness
- WWE Hall of Famer Rocky Johnson, father of Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, has died at age 75. Sports journalist Dave Meltzer broke the news, later confirmed by the WWE , in a Wednesday tweet , per
. Born Wayde Douglas Bowles, the Canadian competed in the National Wrestling Alliance before joining...
on God's Green
Earth' Has Died
Aug 2, 2019 4:32 AM CDT
'Greatest Wrestler on God's Green Earth' Has Died
'King of the Ring' Harley Race was 76
- It's a royally sad day in the world of wrestling: Harley Race, better known as the "King of the Ring," has died. The 76-year-old World Wrestling Entertainment Hall of Famer, who won the National Wrestling Alliance World Heavyweight Championship eight times, died of complications from lung cancer,...
They Stole a
Then Found Out
What It Was
Jun 30, 2019 12:30 PM CDT
They Stole a Porch Package, Then Found Out What It Was
Thieves apologize, return replica belt meant for sick 5-year-old with brain tumor, autism
- Thieves swiped a wrestling belt replica that belonged to a sick 5-year-old Delaware boy—but this story has a somewhat happy ending. Timothy Vick Sr. tells WBOC that little Timmy Vick was diagnosed with autism when he was just a toddler, but then, another development in October: Timmy had a...
At WWE's Hall of Fame
Event, a Surprise Tackle
Apr 7, 2019 6:09 AM CDT
At WWE's Hall of Fame Event, a Surprise Tackle
Bret 'the Hitman' Hart tackled by spectator as he gives a speech
- As the WWE was putting on its Hall of Fame ceremony on Saturday night, it was besieged by a very WWE moment: A spectator ran into the ring and tackled Bret "the Hitman" Hart as he was giving a speech at the Barclays Center, reports the AP . CNN identifies...
Oct 23, 2018 6:05 AM CDT
WWE Star Breaks Character for Emotional Live Reveal
Roman Reigns (aka Leati Joseph Anoa'i) says he's been living with leukemia for 11 years, and it's back
- Roman Reigns is now part of Wikipedia's "Breaking Kayfabe" page after an announcement during the WWE's
Monday Night Raw
live programming in Providence, RI. The professional wrestler (real name Leati Joseph Anoa'i), broke character and proclaimed he was giving up his WWE Universal Championship belt due...
Ex-WWE Star Jim 'The Anvil'
Neidhart Dies After Fall at Home
Aug 13, 2018 4:32 PM CDT
Ex-WWE Star Jim 'The Anvil' Neidhart Dies After Fall at Home
Neidhart, 63, may have suffered a seizure
- Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart, who joined with brother-in-law Bret Hart to form one of the top tag teams in the 1980s with the WWE, has died, the AP reports. He was 63. The Pasco Sheriff's Office said Neidhart fell at home, hit his head, and "succumbed to...
2 Deaths Slam WWE World,
Including Son of 'the King'
Jul 30, 2018 6:03 AM CDT
2 Deaths Slam WWE World, Including Son of 'the King'
Brian Lawler reportedly hanged himself; Josip Peruzovic, aka 'Nikolai Volkoff,' dies at 70
- The professional wrestling world lost two of its own over the weekend, including the son of WWE legend Jerry Lawler. Per Yahoo Sports and the
, Brian Christopher Lawler, 46, was found hanging in his jail cell in Memphis, Tenn., Saturday evening and died the next day. "Corrections...
Dead at 73
Sep 18, 2017 11:45 AM CDT
Legendary WWE Commentator Dead at 73
Iconic manager, commentator had battled cancer
- Legendary World Wrestling Entertainment manager and commentator Bobby "The Brain" Heenan died Sunday at age 73, reports ESPN , which calls Heenan "one of the most renowned managers and commentators in the history of professional wrestling." A cause of death hasn't been confirmed, but Heenan had been...
Jan 15, 2017 3:28 PM CST
Jimmy 'Superfly' Snuka, WWE Legend, Dead at 73
Hall of Famer who'd faced murder charges lost his battle with cancer
- Less than two weeks after a judge dismissed murder charges against him in a 30-year-plus case, a WWE legend has died. Hall of Famer Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka passed away at the age of 73, TMZ reports, with former WWE star Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson confirming his death on...
Wrestling Legend Charged
in Lover's 1983 Murder
Sep 1, 2015 6:46 PM CDT
Wrestling Legend Charged in Lover's 1983 Murder
Jimmy 'Superfly' Snuka was arrested in the 1983 death of his mistress
- A Hall of Fame wrestler was arrested today and charged with murder 32 years after his mistress was found beaten and unresponsive in a Pennsylvania hotel room, the AP reports. In 1983, Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka, one of the World Wrestling Federation's biggest stars, returned to his hotel room...
for Racist Rant
Jul 24, 2015 12:52 PM CDT
Hulk Hogan Apologizes for Racist Rant
Says offensive language he used in audio clip 'is not who I am'
- A tweet posted last night by Hulk Hogan seemed to portend serious news: "In the storm I release control, God and his Universe will sail me where he wants me to be, one love. HH." That news was revealed by a WWE statement issued this morning, per
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
On Roe v. Wade, Federal Judge Sees a 'Loophole'
Shots Fired as Intruder Breaches Home of Air Force One
After a Drowning, Amusement Park Ride Closes for Good
Harry Styles' Grammys Speech Caused Mass Bewilderment
Police: Fentanyl Killing Teens May Have Come From One Home
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.