Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read the latest news about racial discrimination today on Newser.com
Stories 1 - 20 |
3 Months Later, Black Student
Still Being Punished for His Hair
Dec 6, 2023 9:34 AM CST
3 Months Later, Black Student Still Being Punished for His Hair
Family has sued Texas leaders and the school district, claiming violations of the CROWN Act
- Darryl George has received a second in-school suspension following three months of disciplinary action over his choice to wear his hair in locs. The Texas high school student who was suspended in August for violating Barbers Hill High School's dress code, then sent to an off-campus disciplinary program for...
Suit: United Staffs
Dodgers' Charters With
Young, White Blondes
Nov 2, 2023 11:05 AM CDT
Suit: United Staffs Dodgers' Charters With Young, White Blondes
2 longtime flight attendants accuse airline of race, age discrimination
- Two United Airlines flight attendants are suing their longtime employer, whom they allege discriminates against employees based on race, national origin, religion, and age. The plaintiffs claim they were demoted from the airline's sports team charter program—a highly coveted position in which flight attendants can earn double or...
Lawsuit: Widespread Racial
Abuse at Tesla Is 'Ongoing'
Sep 29, 2023 7:20 AM CDT
Lawsuit: Widespread Racial Abuse at Tesla Is 'Ongoing'
EEOC alleges company ignores swastikas, threats, and racial slurs at Fremont factory
- The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission is suing Elon Musk's Tesla, alleging "widespread and ongoing racial harassment of its Black employees" and retaliation against those who speak out. The racial misconduct at Tesla's factory in Fremont, California, dating back to at least 2015, "was frequent, ongoing, inappropriate,...
At Texas School, a Fight
Over Boy's Dreadlocks
Sep 18, 2023 1:44 PM CDT
At Texas School, a Fight Over Boy's Dreadlocks
Darryl George, 17, suspended for violating dress code same week a law protecting hair was enacted
- The same week his state outlawed racial discrimination based on hairstyles, the AP reports that a Black high school student in Texas was suspended because school officials said his locks violated the district's dress code. Darryl George, a junior at Barbers Hill High School in Mont Belvieu, received an...
Ole Miss Player Sues
Coach, School for $40M
Sep 15, 2023 8:16 AM CDT
Ole Miss Player Sues Coach, School for $40M
DeSanto Rollins says football coach Lane Kiffin verbally abused him during mental health crisis
- Ole Miss defensive tackle DeSanto Rollins is suing the university and head football coach Lane Kiffin, alleging his rights were violated during a mental health crisis. In a lawsuit filed Thursday, Rollins claims he was kicked off the team for a "mental impairment," in violation of the Americans...
Judge: Don't Like 'Woke'
Starbucks? Invest Elsewhere
Aug 14, 2023 8:44 AM CDT
Judge: Don't Like 'Woke' Starbucks? Invest Elsewhere
Ruling dismisses case brought by conservative group who'd sued over chain's diversity initiatives
- Starbucks has notched a win against a conservative group that tried to stymie its diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives. The Messenger reports that on Friday, Chief US District Judge Stanley Bastian dismissed a case against the coffee giant brought last August by the nonprofit National Center for Public Policy Research,...
Fast & Furious
Aug 13, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
Fast & Furious
Star Sues Home Depot
Tyrese Gibson alleges racial discrimination
- One of the
Fast & Furious
stars is suing Home Depot over alleged racial discrimination. Tyrese Gibson says he and two men helping him with a construction project "experienced outrageous discriminatory mistreatment and consumer racial profiling" at a store in West Hills, California, reports
. In his suit, Gibson...
Mom: Southwest Accused Me
of Trafficking My Own Daughter
Aug 8, 2023 9:13 AM CDT
Mom: Southwest Accused Me of Trafficking My Own Daughter
Mary MacCarthy, who's white, says she and her biracial 10-year-old child were racially profiled
- A single mom has sued Southwest, accusing the airline of racial discrimination after a flight attendant suspected she may have been trafficking a child—her own daughter. NBC News reports that Mary MacCarthy, who's white, was traveling with her then-10-year-old daughter, Moira, who's Black, in October 2021 from...
DOE Looking Into How
Harvard Admits Students
Jul 26, 2023 8:25 AM CDT
DOE Looking Into How Harvard Admits Students
Harvard's legacy, donor admissions in the spotlight after SCOTUS ruling on affirmative action
- A landmark ruling last month by the US Supreme Court struck a blow against using affirmative action in college admissions, and soon after that decision, murmurs began intensifying on an adjacent controversy—legacy and donor admissions. Now, one of the Ivy Leagues is under the microscope over the practice: The...
DOJ: This 'Made
What Happened to
George Floyd Possible'
Jun 16, 2023 11:13 AM CDT
DOJ: This 'Made What Happened to George Floyd Possible'
After 2-year investigation, agency finds Minneapolis cops engaged in pattern of discrimination
- The Justice Department accused Minneapolis police Friday of engaging in a pattern of violating constitutional rights and discriminating against Black and Native American people following an investigation prompted by the killing of George Floyd. The sweeping two-year civil rights investigation concluded that systemic problems in the Minneapolis Police Department "...
Has Bad News for
'Central Park Karen'
Jun 9, 2023 8:00 AM CDT
Appeals Court Has Bad News for 'Central Park Karen'
That court dismisses suit against firm that fired Amy Cooper after she called cops on Black birder
- In September, US District Judge Ronnie Abrams dismissed a suit from Amy Cooper—a white woman fired from her job after calling 911 on a Black bird-watcher in NYC's Central Park—against her former employer. On Thursday, an appeals court upheld that decision, ruling that Cooper's complaint, in...
A Win for Couple Who Alleged
Racial Bias in Home Valuation
Mar 9, 2023 11:38 AM CST
A Win for Couple Who Alleged Racial Bias in Home Valuation
Paul Austin, Tenisha Tate-Austin settle lawsuit with appraisal company, hope to bring change
- A Black couple who said the value of their California home increased by almost $500,000 when they had a white friend stand in as the owner have settled a lawsuit with the appraisal company. Paul Austin and Tenisha Tate-Austin of the San Francisco suburb of Marin City will receive...
Black Pastor Plans Suit After
Arrest While Watering Flowers
Aug 27, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Black Pastor Plans Suit After Arrest While Watering Flowers
Michael Jennings said he was taking care of neighbor's Ala. home when cops showed up
- A Black pastor is ramping up for a lawsuit after he says Alabama police wrongfully arrested him outside his home in Childersburg while he was watering his neighbor's flowers. NBC News reports on footage released this week by lawyers for Michael Jennings that shows his May 22 arrest, "...
Sesame Place Sued
for Another Alleged
Instance of Racism
Jul 28, 2022 12:46 AM CDT
Sesame Place Sued for Another Alleged Instance of Racism
Father says his daughter, who is Black, was ignored by performers
- Less than two weeks after a video of alleged racism at Sesame Place went viral, the theme park is being sued for alleged racial discrimination over a separate incident. Quinton Burns of Maryland says he took his 5-year-old daughter to the Philadelphia-area amusement park on June 18, and during a...
After 2-Year Probe, a 'Scathing'
Report on Minneapolis PD
Apr 27, 2022 12:06 PM CDT
After 2-Year Probe, a 'Scathing' Report on Minneapolis PD
Investigation finds pattern of racial discrimination
- A state investigation launched after George Floyd’s killing in the custody of four Minneapolis police officers has determined that the department engages in a pattern of race discrimination. The state launched its investigation barely a week after Floyd's death on May 25, 2020, and Minnesota's Department of...
Michelle Obama's Brother Sues
His Sons' Milwaukee School
Apr 19, 2022 6:22 PM CDT
Michelle Obama's Brother Sues His Sons' Milwaukee School
He claims it refused to allow sons to re-enroll after couple voiced allegations of racial bias
- The brother of former first lady Michelle Obama and his wife are suing a private Milwaukee school, alleging it refused to allow their two sons to re-enroll after they voiced concerns that racism and inappropriate conduct at the school had not been satisfactorily addressed. In a civil lawsuit filed Monday...
California Regulators Are
Taking Tesla to Court
Feb 10, 2022 4:42 PM CST
California Regulators Are Taking Tesla to Court
Agency says there was a 'hostile environment' for Black workers at main plant
- Regulators in California are taking Tesla to court for allegedly operating a "racially segregated workplace." In a complaint filed in state court Wednesday, the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing said there are major workplace issues at the firm's main US car plant, the
Trump Rant at Prosecutors
Has Roots in Growing Narrative
Feb 6, 2022 1:20 PM CST
Trump Rant at Prosecutors Has Roots in Growing Narrative
'White replacement theory' is driving a movement
- Looking out at a sea of faces at a Texas fairground, most of them white, former President Donald Trump seethed about his legal troubles and blamed them on malicious prosecutors. "These prosecutors are vicious, horrible people. They're racists and they're very sick, they're mentally sick,"...
Coach Sues NFL
Feb 2, 2022 12:00 AM CST
Fired Dolphins Coach Sues NFL
Brian Flores alleges racial discrimination
- The former head coach of the Miami Dolphins is suing the NFL after his firing last month, alleging racial discrimination. Brian Flores' termination came as a surprise to many, considering his winning record with the team this season, Deadline reports. His class-action suit claims the league, which currently has just...
Black Couple 'Whitewashed'
Home, Saw Appraisal Jump
in case you missed it
Dec 11, 2021 7:01 AM CST
Black Couple 'Whitewashed' Home, Saw Appraisal Jump
Paul Austin and Tenisha Tate-Austin are suing their California appraiser, alleging racial bias
- A couple in California suspicious that their home appraised way under value because they're Black say they put their theory to the test by effectively "erasing" themselves from the home—and that what they discovered warrants the fair-housing lawsuit they filed this week against their appraiser. The
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
6 Teens Guilty for Role in Teacher's Beheading
U Penn President Steps Down After Outcry
Tomato Mysteriously Lost in Space Turns Up 8 Months Later
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
Evert Reveals 'Diagnosis I Never Wanted to Hear'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.