Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read the latest news about racial discrimination today on Newser.com
Stories 1 - 20 |
Score Another Loss for
'Central Park Karen'
Sep 22, 2022 7:44 AM CDT
Score Another Loss for 'Central Park Karen'
Judge dismisses suit against company that fired Amy Cooper after she called cops on Black birder
- A woman who was fired from her job after a video of her calling the cops on a Black bird-watcher in New York City's Central Park went viral has lost her lawsuit against her former employer. Bloomberg reports that on Wednesday, US District Judge Ronnie Abrams dismissed the complaint...
Black Pastor Plans Suit After
Arrest While Watering Flowers
Aug 27, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Black Pastor Plans Suit After Arrest While Watering Flowers
Michael Jennings said he was taking care of neighbor's Ala. home when cops showed up
- A Black pastor is ramping up for a lawsuit after he says Alabama police wrongfully arrested him outside his home in Childersburg while he was watering his neighbor's flowers. NBC News reports on footage released this week by lawyers for Michael Jennings that shows his May 22 arrest, "...
Sesame Place Sued
for Another Alleged
Instance of Racism
Jul 28, 2022 12:46 AM CDT
Sesame Place Sued for Another Alleged Instance of Racism
Father says his daughter, who is Black, was ignored by performers
- Less than two weeks after a video of alleged racism at Sesame Place went viral, the theme park is being sued for alleged racial discrimination over a separate incident. Quinton Burns of Maryland says he took his 5-year-old daughter to the Philadelphia-area amusement park on June 18, and during a...
After 2-Year Probe, a 'Scathing'
Report on Minneapolis PD
Apr 27, 2022 12:06 PM CDT
After 2-Year Probe, a 'Scathing' Report on Minneapolis PD
Investigation finds pattern of racial discrimination
- A state investigation launched after George Floyd’s killing in the custody of four Minneapolis police officers has determined that the department engages in a pattern of race discrimination. The state launched its investigation barely a week after Floyd's death on May 25, 2020, and Minnesota's Department of...
Michelle Obama's Brother Sues
His Sons' Milwaukee School
Apr 19, 2022 6:22 PM CDT
Michelle Obama's Brother Sues His Sons' Milwaukee School
He claims it refused to allow sons to re-enroll after couple voiced allegations of racial bias
- The brother of former first lady Michelle Obama and his wife are suing a private Milwaukee school, alleging it refused to allow their two sons to re-enroll after they voiced concerns that racism and inappropriate conduct at the school had not been satisfactorily addressed. In a civil lawsuit filed Monday...
California Regulators Are
Taking Tesla to Court
Feb 10, 2022 4:42 PM CST
California Regulators Are Taking Tesla to Court
Agency says there was a 'hostile environment' for Black workers at main plant
- Regulators in California are taking Tesla to court for allegedly operating a "racially segregated workplace." In a complaint filed in state court Wednesday, the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing said there are major workplace issues at the firm's main US car plant, the
Trump Rant at Prosecutors
Has Roots in Growing Narrative
Feb 6, 2022 1:20 PM CST
Trump Rant at Prosecutors Has Roots in Growing Narrative
'White replacement theory' is driving a movement
- Looking out at a sea of faces at a Texas fairground, most of them white, former President Donald Trump seethed about his legal troubles and blamed them on malicious prosecutors. "These prosecutors are vicious, horrible people. They're racists and they're very sick, they're mentally sick,"...
Coach Sues NFL
Feb 2, 2022 12:00 AM CST
Fired Dolphins Coach Sues NFL
Brian Flores alleges racial discrimination
- The former head coach of the Miami Dolphins is suing the NFL after his firing last month, alleging racial discrimination. Brian Flores' termination came as a surprise to many, considering his winning record with the team this season, Deadline reports. His class-action suit claims the league, which currently has just...
Black Couple 'Whitewashed'
Home, Saw Appraisal Jump
in case you missed it
Dec 11, 2021 7:01 AM CST
Black Couple 'Whitewashed' Home, Saw Appraisal Jump
Paul Austin and Tenisha Tate-Austin are suing their California appraiser, alleging racial bias
- A couple in California suspicious that their home appraised way under value because they're Black say they put their theory to the test by effectively "erasing" themselves from the home—and that what they discovered warrants the fair-housing lawsuit they filed this week against their appraiser. The
Cop Faced With 'Humiliating'
KKK Note Files Complaint
Nov 12, 2021 7:40 AM CST
Cop Faced With 'Humiliating' KKK Note Files Complaint
Black officer Keith Pool takes action after ex-Ohio police chief's 'offensive' actions in June
The first Black cop in a small Ohio town has filed a discrimination complaint against its police force. The charge with the state's Civil Rights Commission was filed by Keith Pool, who says officials in Sheffield Lake did nothing to keep ex-Chief Anthony Campo's racist behavior in...
He Says He Was
Fired for Being
a White Guy.
Oct 29, 2021 12:05 AM CDT
He Says He Was Fired for Being a White Guy. Now, $10M
Ex-hospital exec David Duvall wins wrongful termination suit against NC health care system
- For nearly five years, David Duvall served as a top marketing executive for a North Carolina health care system—until he says he was abruptly fired in the summer of 2018, over what he claims was a move to diversify top staff. Duvall sued, and on Tuesday, a federal jury...
Girl, 10, Drew a
Picture at School.
Then Cops Arrested Her
Oct 21, 2021 12:05 PM CDT
Girl, 10, Drew a Picture at School. Then Cops Arrested Her
ACLU of Hawaii demands $500K in damages, plus reforms
- The American Civil Liberties Union of Hawaii is demanding $500,000 in damages after a 10-year-old Black girl was arrested at school over a drawing. A parent of a student at Honowai Elementary School outside Honolulu demanded staff call police in response to the girl's drawing, which allegedly depicted...
Guy Who Alleged
Swastikas at Tesla
Oct 5, 2021 7:25 AM CDT
Guy Who Alleged Swastikas at Tesla Wins $137M
Owen Diaz said company created a hostile work environment
- Tesla has been ordered to pay a whopping $137 million to a former contract employee who sued over racist abuse he endured at the company's factory in Fremont, Calif. Elevator operator Owen Diaz said he worked at the factory for about a year up to 2016, during which fellow...
Sep 17, 2021 8:07 AM CDT
Dad: School Librarian Cut My Daughter's Hair Off
Jimmy Hoffmeyer is suing for $1M, claiming racial discrimination over March incident
- Two times in March, 7-year-old Jurnee Hoffmeyer came home from her Michigan school with a surprise haircut. Now, her dad is suing, claiming the white school librarian who gave Jurnee her second cut did so without his permission and violated his biracial daughter's constitutional rights. Per the $1 million...
2 Black Men Handcuffed
Returning TV Sue Walmart
Aug 29, 2021 5:23 PM CDT
2 Black Men Handcuffed Returning TV Sue Walmart
Lawsuit alleges they were detained for up to an hour, never got to exchange the TV
- Dennis Stewart went to his local Walmart in Conroe, TX, last year and bought a 58-inch TV. When he got it home, he saw that it wasn’t working properly, and decided to exchange it. It was a big TV, so he enlisted his buddy Terence Richardson to return it....
Teens Rank the
9 Biggest Threats
They Are Facing
in case you missed it
Aug 28, 2021 1:20 PM CDT
Teens Rank the 9 Biggest Threats They Are Facing
Climate change fails to make the top 5
- Teenagers are perhaps less concerned with climate change than you might think, ranking it sixth in a list of the nine greatest threats to their generation, according to a new
-Ipsos poll. The national survey of 1,349 teens aged 14 to 18, conducted online in May and...
New State Law Bars Schools
From 'Hairstyle Discrimination'
Aug 16, 2021 6:27 PM CDT
New State Law Bars Schools From 'Hairstyle Discrimination'
Illinois law is named after Jett Hawkins, 4
- Earlier this year, 4-year-old Jett Hawkins was told that his braids were a violation of the dress code at a private school in Chicago. On Friday, he was present as Illinois Gov. Jay Pritzker signed the Jett Hawkins Act, banning hairstyle discrimination in schools. The law requires the state board...
Things Get Worse for Team
After Tortilla-Throwing Incident
Jul 2, 2021 7:00 AM CDT
Things Get Worse for Team After Tortilla-Throwing Incident
Calif. high school basketball players lose regional title over incident
- A California high school basketball team embroiled in controversy after an incident involving a rival team has had its regional title yanked away. Coronado High School's head basketball coach, JD Laaperi, had already been fired after Coronado supporters at a June 19 championship game threw tortillas at the team...
She Was Almost
at Bat. Then: 'Does
Anyone Have Scissors?'
May 14, 2021 12:31 PM CDT
She Was Almost at Bat. Then: 'Does Anyone Have Scissors?'
Black teen softball player Nicole Pyles cut her hair rather than remove hair beads as umps asked
- A Black teen softball player from Durham, North Carolina, says she was humiliated at a game last month in an incident she says led to a discriminatory ask and an impromptu haircut. In an interview with the Southern Coalition for Social Justice cited by the
New York Times
, 16-year-old Nicole...
He Lived Out
What Came Next Wasn't Easier
Apr 18, 2021 1:45 PM CDT
He Lived Out
Scene. What Came Next Wasn't Easier
Documentary tells of discrimination against Chinese survivors including Fang Lang
- You'll recall that famous scene in
when Leonardo DiCaprio's Jack, clinging to a wooden door in the frigid ocean, lets go. His companion, Kate Winslet's Rose, eventually gets the attention of rescuers in the lone lifeboat that had returned to the scene to search for survivors....
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Someone Is Hiding Razor Blades in Gas Pump Handles
Tyre Nichols Video Is Released
'Best for Everyone That They Move On'
He's 45, Spending Millions to Have an 18-Year-Old's Organs
3 Dead, 4 Hurt After Another California Mass Shooting
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.