Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Texas Executes Man Who Killed
His Mom, Buried Her in Yard
Nov 10, 2022 12:20 AM CST
Texas Executes Man Who Killed His Mom, Buried Her in Yard
Tracy Beatty's lawyers had argued his mental illness history should rule out death penalty
- A man who killed his mother and buried her body in her backyard was executed Wednesday in Texas despite his lawyers’ appeals that he should not be put to death because he had a history of mental illness, the AP reports. Tracy Beatty, 61, received a lethal injection at the...
Oct 20, 2022 2:58 PM CDT
Oklahoma Executes Man Who Killed Infant Daughter
Attorneys for Benjamin Cole argued he was mentally ill
- Oklahoma executed inmate Benjamin Cole on Thursday morning despite claims from his attorneys that he had been severely mentally ill. Cole was pronounced dead at 10:22am at Oklahoma’s state penitentiary in McAlester, per the AP . He was the sixth Oklahoma inmate to be put to death since the...
Judge Rules Against 2
Execution Methods in SC
Sep 8, 2022 4:11 AM CDT
Judge Rules Against 2 Execution Methods in SC
Electric chair, firing squad are unconstitutonal, she says
- A South Carolina judge ruled this week that the state's newly created execution firing squad, as well as its use of the electric chair, are unconstitutional, siding with four death row inmates in a decision sure to be swiftly appealed as the state struggles to implement its new execution...
Inmate Had No Last Words,
Which Some See as Suspicious
Aug 30, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Inmate Had No Last Words, Which Some See as Suspicious
Private autopsy suggests Joe Nathan James Jr.'s arm may have been cut to find a vein
- An anti-death penalty group alleges that Alabama corrections officials apparently botched an inmate's execution last month, citing the length of time that passed before the prisoner received the lethal injection and a private autopsy indicating his arm may have been cut to find a vein. Joe Nathan James Jr....
of Slain Woman Want
Mercy for Her Killer
Jul 27, 2022 3:00 AM CDT
Daughters, Brother of Slain Woman Want Mercy for Her Killer
They've asked Alabama governor to stop the execution
- Terryln Hall was just 6 years old when her mother, Faith, was fatally shot by a former boyfriend. Now, nearly 30 years later, Hall and her sister—along with their uncle—oppose Alabama’s plan to execute the man who killed their mother, the AP reports. Unless a judge or...
Woman's 'Death by Stoning'
Sentence Rattles Activists
Jul 13, 2022 1:25 PM CDT
Woman's 'Death by Stoning' Sentence Rattles Activists
It's the first such sentence in Sudan in nearly a decade
- An October military coup in Sudan may have shifted the movement on women's rights there, and not in a good way. A 20-year-old woman arrested in White Nile state last month and charged with adultery has now heard her fate: death by stoning, the first known sentence like it...
Arrested at 13, He Faced
Execution. Now He's Free
Jun 25, 2022 6:30 AM CDT
Arrested at 13, He Faced Execution. Now He's Free
Murtaja Qureiris, said to be youngest Saudi prisoner for political protest, reportedly out of prison
Murtaja Qureiris is now a free man. Human rights activists say the 21-year-old, who was arrested in Saudi Arabia at age 13 after being accused of participating in Arab Spring protests three years earlier, has been released from prison, reports CNN . Qureiris, who once faced the death penalty for...
SCOTUS Sides With Inmate
Who Asked for Firing Squad
Jun 24, 2022 3:18 AM CDT
SCOTUS Sides With Inmate Who Asked for Firing Squad
Michael Wade Nance says lethal injection would be unusually painful for him
: The Supreme Court has narrowly ruled in favor of a condemned Georgia inmate who has requested death by firing squad because he has a medical condition that would make lethal injection a long and extremely painful process. In a 5-4 decision, the court ruled that Michael Nance could proceed...
Judge Clears Oklahoma's
Drug Cocktail for Executions
Jun 6, 2022 11:34 AM CDT
Judge Clears Oklahoma's Drug Cocktail for Executions
Move clears way for more death-row inmates, though an appeal is expected
- A federal judge in Oklahoma on Monday ruled the state's three-drug lethal injection method is constitutional, paving the way for the state to request execution dates for more than two dozen death-row inmates who were plaintiffs in the case. Judge Stephen Friot's ruling followed a six-day federal trial...
Arizona Death Row Inmate
Won't Die in Gas Chamber
May 20, 2022 9:03 AM CDT
Arizona Death Row Inmate Won't Die in Gas Chamber
Frank Atwood is now scheduled to be executed by lethal injection
Arizona death-row inmate Frank Atwood had until 12:01am Friday to select whether he wanted to die via lethal injection or in the state's refurbished gas chamber. He declined to make a choice, so the state's default method—lethal injection—will be used on June 8. It...
Executed in Missouri
May 3, 2022 9:14 PM CDT
Carman Deck Executed in Missouri
It's the country's 5th execution this year
- A Missouri man who killed a couple during a robbery at their rural home more than a quarter of a century ago was put to death Tuesday, becoming just the fifth person executed in the United States this year, the AP reports. Carman Deck, 56, died by injection at the...
'Zero to Singapore on This':
Disabled Man Is Hanged
Apr 27, 2022 3:30 AM CDT
'Zero to Singapore on This': Disabled Man Is Hanged
Nagaenthran K. Dharmalingam, 34, had been on death row for over a decade
- Singapore on Wednesday executed a mentally disabled Malaysian man condemned for a drug offense after a court dismissed a last-minute challenge from his mother and international pleas to spare him. Nagaenthran K. Dharmalingam, 34, had been on death row for over a decade after he was convicted of trafficking about...
Texas Executes Its
Oldest Death Row Inmate
Apr 21, 2022 8:40 PM CDT
Texas Executes Its Oldest Death Row Inmate
As Tennessee issues temporary reprieve to an inmate there
- Texas’ oldest death row inmate was executed Thursday for killing a Houston police officer during a traffic stop nearly 32 years ago. Carl Wayne Buntion, 78, was executed at the state penitentiary in Huntsville. He was condemned for the June 1990 fatal shooting of Houston police officer James Irby, a...
Forced to Choose, Inmate
Opts for Firing Squad
Apr 15, 2022 11:49 AM CDT
Forced to Choose, Inmate Opts for Firing Squad
But Richard Moore is still fighting to avoid execution in South Carolina this month
- A South Carolina prisoner has decided to die by firing squad rather than in the electric chair later this month, according to court documents filed Friday. Richard Bernard Moore, 57, is the first state prisoner to face the choice of execution methods after a law went into effect last year...
His Mission: Don't Let 'Those
Who Kill Turn Us Into Killers'
Mar 20, 2022 2:05 PM CDT
His Mission: Don't Let 'Those Who Kill Turn Us Into Killers'
New Hampshire Democrat Rep. Renny Cushing dies at 69
- "Being a survivor of a homicide victim has a pain for which there aren’t any words," said Robert "Renny" Cushing during a 2019 discussion with the Death Penalty Information Center. Earlier that year, New Hampshire became the 21st state to outlaw capital punishment, after its House...
States Carry Out
Year's First 2 Executions
Jan 28, 2022 3:08 AM CST
States Carry Out Year's First 2 Executions
Divided SCOTUS cleared way for Alabama execution of Matthew Reeves
- Alabama executed an inmate by lethal injection for a 1996 murder on Thursday after a divided US Supreme Court sided with the state and rejected defense claims the man had an intellectual disability that cost him a chance to choose a less "torturous," yet untried, execution method. Matthew...
After 2-Year Hiatus, Japan
Resumes 'Abhorrent' Practice
Dec 21, 2021 7:38 AM CST
After 2-Year Hiatus, Japan Resumes 'Abhorrent' Practice
3 death-row inmates executed amid continued controversy over how death penalty is carried out
- For two years, Japan hasn't carried out any executions. That changed Tuesday with the hanging of three death-row inmates, reviving outcry from human rights activists on the controversial way in which the country carries out capital punishment. At a presser, Justice Minister Yoshihisa Furukawa cited the "extremely brutal"...
He Escaped Execution in 2018.
3 Years Later, He's Dead
Nov 29, 2021 10:20 AM CST
He Escaped Execution in 2018. 3 Years Later, He's Dead
Doyle Lee Hamm, 64, died of natural causes, with complications from lymphoma, per his lawyer
An Alabama man put on death row for killing a motel clerk in 1987 lived through what his lawyer called a "botched" execution attempt in 2018. A private settlement was reached so that the state wouldn't try to execute Doyle Lee Hamm again, but his reprieve, it...
Man Who Tortured
Family for 8 Hours
Put to Death
Nov 18, 2021 12:10 AM CST
Man Who Tortured Family for 8 Hours Put to Death
David Neal Cox killed his estranged wife and sexually assaulted her daughter
- A man who pleaded guilty to killing his estranged wife and sexually assaulting her young daughter as her mother lay dying was put to death Wednesday evening, becoming the first inmate executed in Mississippi in nine years. David Neal Cox, 50, abandoned all appeals and filed court papers calling himself...
Nov 9, 2021 10:40 AM CST
Sister Prejean: Let Inmate Have Final Human Touch
John Henry Ramirez deserves to have pastor present at Texas execution, she writes
- Sister Helen Prejean, the Catholic nun made famous by the book and movie
Dead Man Walking
, is making a public appeal on behalf of a death row inmate in Texas. In a
New York Times
essay, Prejean argues that the state should grant the request of John Henry Ramirez that...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
David Brooks Posts a Burger Picture, Chaos Ensues
Gross Details Air in Boston College Hazing Case
'When I First Saw It, I Thought This Can't Be Real'
New Suit Says Police Abused Woman in 'Torture Warehouse'
Democratic Senator Indicted on Bribery Charges
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.