Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Department of the Interior
Stories 1 - 20 |
Biden Yanks Alaska Oil Leases
Sep 7, 2023 7:25 AM CDT
Biden Yanks Alaska Oil Leases
'We have a responsibility,' president says of Interior Dept. move in Arctic National Wildlife Refuge
- As then-President Trump's days in the White House came to a close, an Alaskan state development agency was granted a slew of oil and gas leases that ended decades of a drilling moratorium in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. This week, President Biden's Department of the Interior nixed...
At 643 Federal
Sites, a Slur
Sep 10, 2022 6:05 AM CDT
At 643 Federal Sites, a Slur Is Gone
Interior Department removes 'squaw' in deference to Native Americans
- The place long known as Squaw Canyon in Arizona is now Red Rock Canyon. In California, Squaw Valley Spring is now Oso Kum Spring. And on and on across the US—the Interior Department this week released a list of 643 federal lands that have been renamed to remove the...
Feds Take Big Step Toward
Ditching 'Squaw' Names
Feb 23, 2022 3:04 PM CST
Feds Take Big Step Toward Ditching 'Squaw' Names
They're inviting public comment on replacements for derogatory term
- Federal officials have come up with a list of potential replacement names for hundreds of geographic features in three dozen states that include the word "squaw," kicking off a public comment period that will run through late April. Interior Secretary Deb Haaland in November formally declared the term...
Watchdog: Zinke Misused
Position Then Lied About It
Feb 16, 2022 12:36 PM CST
Watchdog: Zinke Misused Position Then Lied About It
Feds say former Interior Secretary didn't break from foundation as promised
- Former Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke misused his position to advance a development project in his Montana hometown and lied to an agency ethics official about his involvement, according to a report from federal investigators released Wednesday. The investigation by the Interior Department's inspector general found that Zinke continued working...
Interior Secretary to Wipe
'Squaw' From Government Use
Nov 19, 2021 5:05 PM CST
Interior Secretary to Wipe 'Squaw' From Government Use
Deb Haaland rules the term derogatory
- Interior Secretary Deb Haaland on Friday formally declared "squaw" a derogatory term and said she is taking steps to remove it from federal government use and to replace other derogatory place names. Haaland is ordering a federal panel tasked with naming geographic places to implement procedures to eliminate what...
Biden Pick Would
Break a 245-Year String
Dec 17, 2020 3:38 PM CST
Biden Pick Would Break a 245-Year String
Native American has never overseen US policy with tribes
- President-elect Joe Biden plans to nominate New Mexico Rep. Deb Haaland as interior secretary, a historic pick that would make her the first Native American to lead the agency that has wielded influence over the nation's tribes for generations, per the AP . Tribal leaders and activists around the country,...
Judge to Acting
Chief: You're Out
Sep 26, 2020 6:00 AM CDT
Judge to Acting Public Lands Chief: You're Out
William Pendley removed from role after ruling says he's been 'unlawfully' serving for 424 days
- He had a good, but apparently illegal, run. William Perry Pendley got some bad news Friday via a federal judge, who ordered the 75-year-old to be removed as the head of the Bureau of Land Management, a role he'd held for 424 days without Senate confirmation. "Pendley has...
Coming Soon to Sprawling
Alaska Refuge: Oil Drills
Aug 17, 2020 10:15 AM CDT
Coming Soon to Sprawling Alaska Refuge: Oil Drills
Interior secretary makes controversial move on Arctic territory
- A giant wildlife refuge in Alaska home to caribou and polar bears will soon have something new on the landscape: oil and gas drills. The Department of the Interior on Monday approved a program to dole out drilling leases for a 1.6-million-acre coastal plain in the Arctic National Wildlife...
Trump Has Made
Pick to Head
Feb 4, 2019 5:30 PM CST
Trump Has Made Pick to Head Interior Dept., Despite Pushback
Acting department chief David Bernhardt has faced criticism from environmental groups
- President Trump said Monday that he's nominating David Bernhardt, a former lobbyist for oil and gas companies and other industries, to head the Interior Department despite objections from environmental groups that Bernhardt already was making regulatory decisions on the country's natural resources to benefit industries. Trump tweeted his...
Dems Slam 'Extraordinary'
Move to Keep Parks Open
Jan 6, 2019 3:32 PM CST
Dems Slam 'Extraordinary' Move to Keep Parks Open
Is it illegal for officials to tap entrance fees?
- The National Park Service is taking an extraordinary—and, it turns out, controversial—step to keep its most popular sites open and safe for visitors during a prolonged government shutdown, the
reports. The Interior Department's acting secretary, David Bernhardt, has agreed to let park managers use entrance...
Ryan Zinke Out as
Dec 15, 2018 8:30 AM CST
Ryan Zinke Out as Interior Secretary
A replacement will be named next week, per President Trump
- Late last month, Arizona Rep. Raul Grijalva penned an op-ed asking Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke to step down from his post due to a swirl of "scandals and nepotism." It looks like Grijalva is getting his wish: Per Bloomberg , sources reported that Zinke told the White House he'...
Zinke Didn't Like an Op-Ed
on Him. Things Got Personal
Nov 30, 2018 1:43 PM CST
Zinke Didn't Like an Op-Ed on Him. Things Got Personal
Interior secretary accuses Rep. Raul Grijalva of alcohol abuse, using tax dollars as 'hush money'
- A scathing opinion piece on Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke, penned by a Democrat on the House Natural Resources Committee and published Friday by
, has caught Zinke's attention—and he's offering some eyebrow-raising "thoughts" of his own online. The op-ed by Arizona Rep. Raul Grijalva asked...
'Extensive' Porn Browsing Led
to Malware on Gov't Network
Oct 30, 2018 10:25 AM CDT
'Extensive' Porn Browsing Led to Malware on Gov't Network
USGS employee visited 9K adult sites: inspector general's report
- Russian malware found infecting a US government network got the in from a US Geological Survey employee who violated agency rules about watching porn on a government-issued computer. That's according to a Oct. 17 report by the Department of the Interior's inspector general, which found the unnamed employee...
A Big Change Is Proposed
to Wildlife Protections
Jul 23, 2018 11:55 AM CDT
A Big Change Is Proposed to Wildlife Protections
Officials would weigh economic factors in decisions under Endangered Species Act
- Those who back the Endangered Species Act won't be happy to read a quote in the
New York Times
that sums up a story about its fate: "It's probably the best chance that we have had in 25 years to actually make any substantial changes," says...
Bad News, Bears:
Obama-Era Rule on
May 23, 2018 9:35 AM CDT
Bad News, Bears: Obama-Era Rule on Hunting Reversed
New rule to allow bear baiting, spotlights for shooting in dens called 'unethical' by critics
- The Trump administration is looking to dismantle Obama-era rules that made it more difficult to hunt on federal lands, including through the banning of bacon, honey, and doughnuts as bear bait. The 2015 rule also barred the use of dogs to hunt bears, spotlights to shoot bear cubs in dens,...
Zinke Tried to
Say 'Hello.' He
Mar 16, 2018 7:34 AM CDT
Zinke Tried to Say 'Hello.' He Should've Stuck to English
Interior secretary slammed for acting 'juvenile' at hearing on Japanese-American internment camps
- Perhaps Ryan Zinke wanted to show off his foreign language skills at a hearing Thursday, but it ended with reprimands in very plain English. Politico and HuffPost report the Interior secretary attended a gathering of the House Natural Resources Committee and was asked about a commitment to $2 million in...
at Interior Dept.
Mar 8, 2018 6:04 PM CST
$139K for 'Secretary's Door' Raises Questions at Interior Dept.
Zinke spokesperson isn't commenting on work order
- Records show the Interior Department spent nearly $139,000 last year for construction at the agency that was labeled on a work order as "Secretary's Door," the AP reports. A spokesperson for Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke did not provide answers Thursday to questions about whether changes had...
Shrinking National Monument
Was About Oil After All: Report
Mar 2, 2018 8:08 PM CST
Shrinking National Monument Was About Oil After All: Report
NYT gets Interior Department emails that contradict Secretary Ryan Zinke
- "Bears Ears isn't really about oil and gas," Interior Department Secretary Ryan Zinke said at a news conference in May 2017. Evidence from over 25,000 pages of department emails obtained by the
New York Times
shows that wasn't necessarily true. Last year President Trump called...
Jul 20, 2017 10:15 AM CDT
Trump Is 'Silencing Civil Servants, Stifling Science'
'Whistleblower' scientist says he was forced out of Interior Dept. role into 'ill-fitting' job
- Joel Clement wants you to know he's not a member of the "deep state," or a representative of Big Government. Instead, call him "a scientist, a policy expert, a civil servant … a worried citizen"—and now, per his opinion piece Wednesday in the
Trump's Next Cabinet Pick:
Ex Navy Seal From Montana
Dec 14, 2016 1:26 AM CST
Trump's Next Cabinet Pick: Ex Navy Seal From Montana
Ryan Zinke is 'strong advocate for American energy independence'
- Montana's only House lawmaker is Donald Trump's choice for interior secretary, transition team officials tell news outlets including Reuters and the
Wall Street Journal
. Ryan Zinke, a 55-year-old former Navy SEAL Team 6 commander, was first elected to Congress in 2014 and sits on the House Natural Resources...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
On the Day the Rats Arrived, He Filled 18 Bags With Bodies
UN Has Harsh Words for Iran Over Child's Execution
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
Henry Kissinger Dies at 100
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.