Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Evictions Can Resume
Aug 27, 2021 12:21 AM CDT
Supreme Court: Evictions Can Resume
Conservative majority blocks Biden administration
- The Supreme Court's conservative majority is allowing evictions to resume across the US, blocking the Biden administration from enforcing a temporary ban that was put in place because of the coronavirus pandemic. The court's action late Thursday ends protections for roughly 3.5 million people who said they...
Federal Judge Rebuffs
Landlords in Eviction Fight
Aug 13, 2021 12:16 PM CDT
Federal Judge Rebuffs Landlords in Eviction Fight
Ruling leaves eviction moratorium in place, and issue may be headed to Supreme Court
- A federal judge has refused landlords' request to put the Biden administration’s new eviction moratorium on hold, though she made clear she thinks it's illegal, per the AP . US District Judge Dabney Friedrich on Friday said her “hands are tied” by an appellate ruling the last time...
Cops: Landlord Killed
2 Tenants in Rent Dispute
Aug 10, 2021 5:55 PM CDT
Cops: Landlord Killed 2 Tenants in Rent Dispute
3rd tenant was critically injured in Vegas shooting
- A landlord argued with his live-in tenants over unpaid rent before opening fire with a handgun in a small house near downtown Las Vegas early Tuesday, killing two women and wounding a man who survived nine gunshots, police said. The shooting suspect, Arnoldo Lozano-Sanchez, 78, surrendered after a one-hour standoff...
Relief for Mom Who
Sold Blood Plasma
to Feed Her Kids
Aug 4, 2021 11:10 AM CDT
Relief for Mom Who Sold Blood Plasma to Feed Her Kids
Las Vegas mother Dasha Kelly, on verge of eviction, receives $200K through GoFundMe
- The CDC on Tuesday issued a new "targeted" moratorium through Oct. 3 that will keep people from being evicted in areas of the country with "substantial and high levels of community transmission" of COVID. This pause came days after an old one had expired, leaving millions vulnerable to...
Aug 3, 2021 6:58 PM CDT
CDC Issues New Moratorium on Evictions
'Targeted' ban will cover most of country
- The CDC has issued a new moratorium on evictions—days after the one it first introduced in September last year expired. Unlike the previous moratorium, this one isn't nationwide. The CDC says it will be in place in areas with "substantial and high levels of community transmission" of...
As Moratorium Ends,
Aug 3, 2021 2:34 AM CDT
As Moratorium Ends, Evictions Surge
Activists fear millions could be out on the street as delta variant takes hold
- Gabe Imondi, a 74-year-old landlord from Rhode Island, had come to court hoping to get his apartment back. He was tired of waiting for federal rental assistance and wondered aloud “what they’re doing with that money?" Hours later, Luis Vertentes, in a different case, was told by a...
White House: CDC Can't
Extend Eviction Ban
Aug 2, 2021 3:20 PM CDT
White House: CDC Can't Extend Eviction Ban
Biden urges landlords to pause evictions for at least 30 days
- The nationwide moratorium on evictions expired over the weekend —and the White House said Monday that the CDC hasn't been able to find the authority to extend it. White House press secretary Jen Psaki said the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention does not have the "legal...
No One Seems Able
to Save Eviction Ban
Jul 31, 2021 5:15 PM CDT
No One Seems Able to Save Eviction Ban
Lawmakers vent at Biden while pushing CDC to act
- With the national moratorium on evictions by landlords expiring at midnight, members of Congress on Saturday expressed frustration—sometimes angrily—that no one has acted to preserve it. House Democrats tried to pass legislation extending the ban on Friday night but failed, ABC reports. "We are only hours away...
SCOTUS Votes 5-4 to
Leave Eviction Ban in Place
Jun 29, 2021 7:09 PM CDT
SCOTUS Votes 5-4 to Leave Eviction Ban in Place
4 conservative justice dissented
- The Supreme Court is leaving a pandemic-inspired nationwide ban on evictions in place, over the votes of four objecting conservative justices. The court on Tuesday rejected a plea by landlords to end the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention moratorium on evicting millions of tenants who aren't paying rent...
Renters Get What Is Likely
Their Last Reprieve
Jun 24, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
Renters Get What Is Likely Their Last Reprieve
White House extends eviction moratorium one month through July
- The Biden administration has extended the nationwide ban on evictions for a month to help tenants unable to make rent payments because of the pandemic, but it said this is expected to be the last time it does so. CDC chief Dr. Rochelle Walensky extended the evictions moratorium until July...
Woman's Fear of
Eviction Led to
Jan 30, 2021 9:00 AM CST
Cops: Japan Woman's Fear of Eviction Led to Gruesome Act
Yumi Yoshino stashed mom's body in freezer for 10 years so she could stay in apartment: authorities
- A Japanese woman is being detained "on suspicion of abandoning and hiding a female body"—with the body being that of her own mother. Per the
, cops say that 48-year-old Yumi Yoshino kept her mom's remains for about 10 years in a freezer in their once-shared...
One of Nation's Biggest
Anti-Eviction Laws Just Passed
Dec 29, 2020 9:45 AM CST
One of Nation's Biggest Anti-Eviction Laws Just Passed
New York landlords won't be able to boot most tenants for 2 months
- With the governor's executive order barring most evictions due to expire at year's end, the New York Legislature called a special session Monday to pass "one of the most comprehensive anti-eviction laws in the nation," per the
New York Times
. The bill, which Gov. Andrew Cuomo...
Sep 2, 2020 6:37 AM CDT
CDC Issues Unprecedented Eviction Ban
Landlords barred from evicting tenants in certain conditions, through the end of the year
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Tuesday issued an unprecedented order barring landlords from evicting tenants who can't afford rent because they lost income due to the coronavirus pandemic. The ban applies to tenants who expect to make less than $99,000 ($198,000 for joint-filing couples)...
Kudlow on Next
'There's a $1.2K
Jul 27, 2020 6:33 AM CDT
Kudlow on Next Stimulus Bill: 'There's a $1.2K Check Coming'
Senate GOPers set to reveal $1T coronavirus relief package on Monday
- Senate Republicans are set to release a $1 trillion coronavirus relief package on Monday, and with that deal, Americans can expect checks similar to the ones sent out in the last round. "There's a $1,200 check coming," White House chief economic adviser Larry Kudlow said in...
Landlord Told a Family to
Get Out, Now Faces Charges
Apr 10, 2020 8:10 AM CDT
Landlord Told a Family to Get Out, Now Faces Charges
Howard Mostad allegedly tried to kick out family with ill 4-year-old
- A landlord who tried to kick a family out of their home despite Minnesota's ban on evictions during the coronavirus crisis is facing charges—and has been ordered to restore their electricity. Authorities say Howard Mostad on March 4 told a Pine County family of three they had to...
Homeless Moms Evicted From
Vacant Home in 'Act of War'
Jan 15, 2020 7:17 AM CST
Homeless Moms Evicted From Vacant Home in 'Act of War'
'This isn't over'
- Four people were arrested Tuesday when Alameda County Sheriff's deputies showed up to evict a group of homeless mothers who'd taken up residence in a vacant home in Oakland, Calif. NBC News and the
report that members of Moms 4 Housing, an activist group trying to...
Their Mom Was
the Phone Rang:
'This Is Tyler'
Mar 20, 2019 7:46 AM CDT
Their Mom Was Murdered. Then the Phone Rang: 'This Is Tyler'
Perry pays rent, funeral costs for family of Tynesha Evans, allegedly slain by on-again, off-again BF
- One of Tynesha Evans' daughters is calling Tyler Perry an "angel on Earth" after the star stepped up following Evans' murder in Georgia over the weekend. Per an Alpharetta Department of Public Safety post on Facebook , Evans, 45, was gunned down Saturday in a Wells Fargo parking lot; her...
The Eviction Process in the US:
'Efficient and Surreal'
Jan 26, 2018 12:18 PM CST
The Eviction Process in the US: 'Efficient and Surreal'
The middle class is now being affected, thanks to gentrification, among other factors
- John Williams once had a white-collar career as a political reporter and a $2,000-a-month apartment in suburban DC. Then he lost his job, fell behind on his rent to the tune of five figures, and was kicked out of his home by housing court. It was a "smooth,...
May 31, 2016 1:11 AM CDT
137 Tigers Evicted From Buddhist Temple
Monks caused 'mayhem,' Thai officials say
- Wildlife officials in Thailand have begun removing some of the 137 tigers held at a Buddhist temple following accusations that the monks were involved in illegal breeding and trafficking of the animals. The director of Thailand's Wildlife Conservation Office, Teunjai Noochdumrong, says three tigers were tranquilized and transported Monday...
in case you missed it
May 21, 2016 12:05 PM CDT
Accused Squatter Files Restraining Order Against Homeowner
California woman has apparently done this before
- A California homeowner says a squatter has not only taken over her Fair Oaks home but has filed a restraining order against her, Fox40 reports. Sandra Forbes says the woman moved in about two months ago without meeting her or getting permission. And while the alleged interloper produced a lease...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Oxford Dictionary Picks Its Word of the Year
What We Know About the Power Station Sabotage in NC
Jury Hears Suspect Describe Killing 4 Sex Workers
For Flyers in Europe, No More 'Airplane Mode'
82-Year-Old Arrested Over Her Unpaid $77 Trash Bill
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.