Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Award for First Black Actor to
Win Oscar Is Heading 'Home'
Sep 27, 2023 1:58 PM CDT
Award for First Black Actor to Win Oscar Is Heading 'Home'
Academy gifts replacement for Hattie McDaniel's plaque for 'Gone With the Wind' to Howard U
- Hattie McDaniel's best supporting actress Oscar for 1939's
Gone With the Wind
is one of the most important moments in Academy Award history. McDaniel was the first African American to win an Oscar, and it would be a half-century before another Black woman again won an acting award....
May 9, 2023 2:00 AM CDT
Richard Dreyfuss: Oscars' Inclusion Rules 'Make Me Vomit'
'Am I being told that I will never have a chance to play a Black man?'
- Richard Dreyfuss has been strangely outspoken in recent weeks, and his most recent remarks to make headlines came during a Friday interview on PBS'
. The actor said the Academy Awards' new diversity and inclusion rules, which take effect next year, "make me vomit," CNN reports. The...
'Free' Gift Bags for Stars
Aren't as Free as We Think
Mar 17, 2023 5:05 PM CDT
'Free' Gift Bags for Stars Aren't as Free as We Think
Celebrities who accept the entire bag of swag will have to pay at least $46K this year
- We're not asking you to feel even the tiniest bit sorry for the celebrities who received swag bags filled with expensive goodies at the Oscars, but perhaps the news we're about to reveal might at least push them into the "Stars: They Pay Taxes Just Like Us"...
Mar 14, 2023 12:04 AM CDT
Oscars Get Good Ratings News
Viewership rebounds 12% from last year
- Whether it was the lingering drama of The Slap or the prominence of blockbusters in the best picture race, a bigger audience was lured back to the Oscars this year, the AP reports. The 95th Academy Awards, which aired Sunday night on ABC, was viewed by an estimated 18.7...
During Court Hearing,
Navalny Finds Out
Documentary Won Oscar
Mar 13, 2023 2:34 PM CDT
During Court Hearing, Navalny Finds Out Documentary Won Oscar
Lawyer for imprisoned opposition leader calls it the 'most remarkable announcement' of an Oscar win
- Imprisoned Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny learned Monday from his lawyer that a film detailing his poisoning and political activism won the Oscar for best documentary feature. The 46-year-old politician was attending a court hearing via video link from the prison when his attorney broke the news to him about...
The Oscars Got
Mar 13, 2023 6:53 AM CDT
The Oscars Got Pretty Emotional
Some of the night's best moments included a tribute from Travolta, reunion between Indiana Jones stars
Everything Everywhere All at Once
was the big winner at Sunday night's Academy Awards , but there were plenty of big moments to go around at the star-studded event:
Before the show even began, Hugh Grant made an appearance on the "red" carpet that had everyone buzzing,
This Is the Oscars' Big Winner
Mar 12, 2023 10:46 PM CDT
This Is the Oscars' Big Winner
'Everything Everywhere All At Once' is the night's huge success story
Everything Everywhere All At Once
came in the Oscar favorite, and it won like one, too, the AP reports. The metaphysical multiverse comedy wrapped its hot dog fingers around Hollywood’s top prize Sunday, winning best picture at the 95th Academy Awards, along with awards for Michelle Yeoh, Ke Huy...
Mar 12, 2023 9:57 PM CDT
Oscars' Champagne Carpet: 40 Amazing Looks
Some of the best outfits from the not-red carpet
- Fan Bingbing made a regal entrance in sparkling silver and emerald green on the champagne-colored carpet Sunday at the 95th Academy Awards. Hong Chau wore a high-neck pink Prada column gown with a feathery black train and Malala Yousafzai worked the hood of her silver sparkler from Ralph Lauren like...
94 Films Have
Won 'Best Picture.'
the Top 10
Mar 12, 2023 9:35 AM CDT
94 Films Have Won 'Best Picture.' Here Are the Top 10
'USA Today' ranks them all
- It's Oscars night, and
takes note of the occasion with an ambitious list, one that ranks the 94 best-picture winners in history. For the record, the one that comes in dead last at No. 94 is
The Broadway Melody
from 1928-29, a "musical dud." Here...
After 6 Decades,
at the Oscars
Is No More
Mar 11, 2023 10:45 AM CST
After 6 Decades, This Constant at the Oscars Is No More
Say goodbye to the red carpet on Sunday; welcome a new champagne-colored version
- Many things about the Academy Awards have changed over the years, but for the past six decades, there's been at least one constant: the red carpet. The hues have varied, but it has always been some shade of red—until this year. On Wednesday, outside the Dolby Theatre in...
Mar 10, 2023 12:46 AM CST
Oscars Say No to Zelensky
Ukraine president wanted to appear at Academy Awards ceremony
- Volodymyr Zelensky has been making appearances at award shows , film festivals, and the like—but the Ukrainian president will not be showing his face at the Oscars. He wanted to make a virtual appearance at Sunday night's Academy Awards ceremony, but sources tell
the Academy turned him down....
Chris Rock Gets Ready
to Discuss 'The Slap'
Feb 28, 2023 6:23 AM CST
Chris Rock Gets Ready to Discuss 'The Slap'
Comedian will do so in a live Netflix special on Saturday night
- Ever since Will Smith slapped Chris Rock during the Oscars last year, Rock has held off on talking about it in front of a wide public audience. That changes in a big way this weekend, when Rock's Saturday night show in Baltimore will be live-streamed on Netflix, per the...
After Slap, Oscars Team
'Prepared for Anything'
Feb 23, 2023 10:00 AM CST
After Slap, Oscars Team 'Prepared for Anything'
Crisis response team has 'run many scenarios,' has plans in place, says Academy CEO Bill Kramer
- It was the slap heard round the world —and it's still reverberating. In an effort to avoid another Will Smith-Chris Rock fiasco at the March 12 Oscars, a crisis team will be in place and "prepared for anything," Bill Kramer, CEO of the Academy of Motion...
Emma Thompson Says Oscars
Made Her Sick, 'Distraught'
Feb 21, 2023 10:05 AM CST
Emma Thompson Says Oscars Made Her Sick, 'Distraught'
In new podcast, actor says campaigning wasn't for her; also, that 'happy ever after' doesn't exist
- The Academy Awards are right around the corner, and some of the aggressive campaigning that went on this season has already made headlines . One person who doesn't miss any of that: Oscar-winning actor Emma Thompson, who now says that kind of awards-season lobbying led her to feeling "distraught"...
Feb 1, 2023 8:13 AM CST
Actor Won't Have Her Oscar Nom Stripped
Academy: Andrea Riseborough stays a contender for 'To Leslie,' despite aggressive lobbying
- Andrea Riseborough will hear her name called out at the Dolby Theatre on March 12 after all. The actor who received an Oscar nod for her turn as a former lottery winner fighting addiction in the not-widely-viewed indie film
won't have that nomination stripped, reports the
Jan 30, 2023 2:36 PM CST
Oscars Reviewing Rules After Controversial Nomination
Lobbying campaign to get Andrea Riseborough of 'To Leslie' a nod is under scrutiny
- When the Oscar nominations came out last week , the category of best actress had some surprises. Nowhere to be found were Viola Davis of the
or Danielle Deadwyler of
, both of whom had picked up nominations at other awards shows. Meanwhile, Andrea Riseborough of the small indie...
This Might Be the Biggest
Oscar Snub for 2023
Jan 24, 2023 10:55 AM CST
This Might Be the Biggest Oscar Snub for 2023
Viola Davis isn't nominated for 'The Woman King'
- Now that the Oscar nominations are out, focus is turning to perceived snubs and surprises of 2023. Most sites are taking note of the nomination of Andrea Riseborough in the lead actress category for her portrayal of an addict in
. It came about after what the
Will Smith Gives
Night' at Oscars
Nov 29, 2022 6:54 AM CST
Will Smith Gives First Interview on 'Horrific Night' at Oscars
Actor talks about 'the slap' with Trevor Noah: 'I just, I lost it'
- Chris Rock hasn't spoken much, other than a few jokes , on "the slap" —the moment at the Oscars ceremony earlier this year when Will Smith attacked the comedian. Smith, however, is now speaking more openly about it, in his first interview about what he describes as a...
For Jimmy Kimmel,
an Oscars Three-Peat
Nov 7, 2022 11:32 AM CST
For Jimmy Kimmel, an Oscars Three-Peat
He'll host the show for the 3rd time in March
- Jimmy Kimmel is ready to host the Oscars again, completing a trilogy that started with him presiding over the chaotic "envelope-gate" ceremony . The late-night talk show host will preside over the ceremony in March, the show's producers said Monday, per the AP . Kimmel has hosted the show twice...
Will Smith Is Generating
New Oscars Buzz
Oct 4, 2022 8:36 AM CDT
Will Smith Is Generating New Oscars Buzz
Actor could be a nominee in Academy he's banned from for 10 years after Chris Rock controversy
- Will Smith was banned from the Oscars for 10 years for slapping Chris Rock at this year's ceremony, but that doesn't mean he can't win another Academy Award. Smith, who picked up the Best Actor award for his role in
following the infamous slap, is...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Law Would Jail Parents Whose Children Aren't Vaccinated
Incurable Disease Plaguing Young Stone Cutters
Congressman Pulled Fire Alarm Amid Capitol Hill Scramble
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
A New Look at the Killing of the 'Face of Red Power'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.