Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Mother, Son Die in
Rare Polar Bear Attack
Jan 19, 2023 1:29 AM CST
Mother, Son Die in Rare Polar Bear Attack
Fatal polar bear mauling took place in isolated town of Wales
- It was a 24-year-old mother and her 1-year-old son who were killed in a rare polar bear attack in a small, remote Alaska Native whaling village Tuesday. Authorities identified the victims as Summer Myomick, who split her time between Wales, where the attack took place, and Saint Michael; and her...
Is Bad News
for Polar Bears
Dec 26, 2022 5:46 AM CST
New Survey Is Bad News for Polar Bears
Numbers in Canada decline more than expected
- Polar bears in Canada's Western Hudson Bay—on the southern edge of the Arctic—are continuing to die in high numbers, a new government survey of the land carnivore has found. Females and bear cubs are having an especially hard time, per the AP . Researchers surveyed Western Hudson Bay—...
in the Arctic
Aug 8, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Camper in the Arctic Injured by Polar Bear
French tourist survives, but bear in Norway is killed
- A polar bear attacked a campsite Monday in Norway's remote Arctic Svalbard Islands, injuring a French tourist, per the AP . Her wounds weren't life-threatening, and the bear was later killed. The woman, who wasn't identified, was part of a tour group of 25 people camping at Sveasletta,...
Group of Polar Bears
Finds Ice to Cling To
Jun 16, 2022 4:45 PM CDT
Group of Polar Bears Finds Ice to Cling To
Other indicators for the population's future aren't great, researchers say
- With the polar bear species in a fight for survival because of disappearing Arctic sea ice, a new distinct group of Greenland bears seem to have stumbled on an icy oasis that might allow a small remote population to "hang on." But it's far from the "...
A New Type of Bear Is
Gaining Traction: the 'Pizzly'
in case you missed it
May 8, 2021 8:00 AM CDT
A New Type of Bear Is Gaining Traction: the 'Pizzly'
Hybrid of polar and grizzly bears are becoming more common as habitats overlap
- Polar bears and grizzly bears diverged about 500,000 years ago. Now, a changing planet appears to be bringing them back together. Live Science reports that the two species have been running into each other—and mating—with greater frequency in recent years, resulting in a hybrid bear known as...
Polar Bear Mating
Turns Tragic at Detroit Zoo
Feb 9, 2021 6:40 PM CST
Polar Bear Mating Turns Tragic at Detroit Zoo
'This was completely unexpected'
- Workers at the Detroit Zoo say they're in shock after the death of Anana, a female polar bear killed by a male during an attempt to breed on Monday. The zoo says Anana, a 20-year-old bear who came to the zoo last year, lived with 16-year-old male Nuka for...
They Were Camping in the
Arctic. Then, a 4am Visitor
Aug 28, 2020 8:20 AM CDT
They Were Camping in the Arctic. Then, a 4am Visitor
Polar bear kills one in Norway's Svalbard Islands
- A polar bear attacked a camping site and killed a foreign national in the remote Svalbard Islands on Friday, authorities said, adding that the animal itself was killed as well. The man was rushed to the hospital in Longyearbyen, where he was declared dead by doctors, Deputy Governor Soelvi Elvedah...
Has Grim News
on Polar Bears
Jul 21, 2020 5:17 PM CDT
New Study Has Grim News on Polar Bears
They could be almost completely extinct by 2100
- Polar bears are likely to be almost completely extinct by the end of this century if climate change continues at its current pace, a new study warns. Scientists already knew polar bears were in deep trouble—they depend on sea ice to survive, and sea ice is disappearing—but researchers...
Caught on Video,
a Polar Bear
With a Message
Dec 4, 2019 11:40 AM CST
Caught on Video, a Polar Bear With a Message
'T-34' graffiti on bear in Russia could blow its camouflage, make it hard for it to hunt
- A video showing a graffitied polar bear is making the rounds, and the outrage is about more than aesthetics. The clip of the bear, recorded somewhere in Russia, was first uploaded to Facebook Monday by Sergey Kavry, a World Wildlife Fund worker. The bear is seen trudging over the tundra...
at This Zoo
Nov 30, 2019 9:00 AM CST
Thanksgiving Was Extra-Special at This Zoo
Polar bear born Thursday morning at Ohio's Columbus Zoo and Aquarium
- An Ohio zoo is celebrating the birth of a polar bear cub. The Columbus Zoo and Aquarium says the cub, shown in a
video , was born early Thursday morning to 13-year-old Aurora, per the AP . "The #ColumbusZoo is #thankful to welcome a new polar bear cub born...
In This City, a Visitor Not Seen
for More Than 40 Years
Jun 19, 2019 12:29 PM CDT
In This City, a Visitor Not Seen for More Than 40 Years
Tired, hungry-looking polar bear turned up in Norilsk, Russia
- For more than 40 years, there's been no sign of polar bears in Siberia's Norilsk. That changed this week, with Russia's northernmost city putting out a warning notice Tuesday to residents that one had been spotted wandering around in the suburbs, way south of its natural habitat,...
Zoo Turns Heads
Mar 2, 2019 5:30 PM CST
Zoo Turns Heads With Unusual Bear-Saving Strategy
Ohio zoo is amassing poop to create a pregnancy test
- An Ohio zoo has become the repository for the world's largest collection of polar bear poop as researchers work to create a pregnancy test to aid the survival of this threatened species, the AP reports. WLWT-TV reports the Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Gardens is storing 30,000 samples of...
Over Polar Bears—
Lots of Polar Bears
Feb 11, 2019 10:55 AM CST
Emergency Declared Over Polar Bears— Lots of Polar Bears
They've invaded the Novaya Zemlya archipelago
- An emergency has been declared in the Novaya Zemlya archipelago, due to ... polar bears? Yes, dozens of the animals have invaded the Russian islands, prompting environmental authorities to bring in a team of specialists to sedate and remove them, the
reports. The bears "have literally been chasing people,...
Polar Bear Killed in Attack
on Cruise Ship Guard
Jul 29, 2018 6:33 AM CDT
Polar Bear Killed in Attack on Cruise Ship Guard
It's high season in Arctic tourism
- Norwegian authorities said a polar bear on Saturday attacked and injured a polar bear guard who was leading tourists off a cruise ship on an Arctic archipelago. The polar bear was shot dead by another employee. The Joint Rescue Coordination for Northern Norway tweeted that the attack occurred when the...
Apr 25, 2018 9:20 AM CDT
World's First 'Tropical Polar Bear' Euthanized
Singapore Zoo said 27-year-old Inuka had too many age-related ailments to live comfortably
- Inuka, the world's first polar bear born in the tropics, was euthanized Wednesday by the Singapore Zoo, officials say. The 27-year-old bear suffered from age-related ailments including arthritis, and his limbs became too weak to support his 1,100-pound-plus frame, per the AP . The zoo said this resulted in...
Study Reveals More
Bad News for Polar Bears
Feb 2, 2018 6:34 PM CST
Study Reveals More Bad News for Polar Bears
They appear to require more food than previously believed
- An already bleak future for polar bears may have just gotten worse. A study published this week in
found the endangered species may need much more energy to survive than previously believed.
reports researchers used radio collars and blood samples to track the energy needs and movements...
'We Stood There Crying':
Crew Films Starving Polar Bear
Dec 9, 2017 8:03 AM CST
'We Stood There Crying': Crew Films Starving Polar Bear
Conservation group says it illustrates threat to the bears as ice retreats from Arctic
- The video is tough to watch: A crew from the conservation group Sea Legacy came across a starving polar bear in Canada's Baffin Islands that clearly didn't have long to live. "We stood there crying—filming with tears rolling down our cheeks," photographer Paul Nicklen tells...
As Sea Ice Dwindles,
Polar Bear Attacks Rise
Jul 12, 2017 5:29 PM CDT
As Sea Ice Dwindles, Polar Bear Attacks Rise
20% of polar bear attacks happened in last 5 years of 144-year study
- There were only 73 reported polar bear attacks on humans between 1870 and 2014, according to a study published this month in
Wildlife Society Bulletin
. But 20% of those attacks happened in just the last five years of the study, and
Alaska Dispatch News
reports researchers have found a correlation...
Video of Polar Bear
Petting Dog Goes Viral.
Now the Bad News
Nov 18, 2016 11:51 AM CST
Video of Polar Bear Petting Dog Goes Viral. Now the Bad News
A bear on Canadian landowner's property ate one of his chained-up sled dogs
- A video of a polar bear petting a sled dog that went viral seemed heartwarming, but a new development casts the interaction in a different light. The Dodo has updated its initial post on the incident, which took place near Churchill in Manitoba. The video was shot on property belonging...
World's 'Saddest Polar
Bear' Moved, for Now
Nov 14, 2016 7:02 AM CST
World's 'Saddest Polar Bear' Moved, for Now
Pizza to be temporarily moved from Chinese mall—but advocates want him out of there permanently
- Pizza the polar bear will soon "feel the sun on his fur, sniff fresh air, and see the sky above him." That per a statement from Humane Society International, announcing the transfer of the "world's saddest polar bear" from its controversial quarters in a Chinese mall,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Here's What People Are Saying After Biden's State of the Union
Elian Gonzalez Is Making Headlines Again
Romney Had It Out With George Santos at SOTU
After Tyre Nichols' Beating, a Pic Began Making the Rounds
As Quake Toll Surges, More Questions About 1999 Tax
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.