Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Defiant Trump Arrives for Trial: Americans Won't 'Stand for It'
Stories 1 - 20 |
Student Dies 4 Days After
Charity Boxing Match
Nov 29, 2021 1:52 PM CST
Student Dies 4 Days After Charity Boxing Match
UNLV student Nick Valencia collapsed minutes after fight
- University of Nevada, Las Vegas student Nathan Valencia should have been celebrating his 21st birthday on Saturday. Instead, hundreds gathered on campus to mourn him. Valencia died on Tuesday, four days after he took part in a boxing match held by a fraternity, and his family is demanding answers, NBC...
'I Just Heard
the Final Bell'
Sep 29, 2021 12:05 AM CDT
Manny Pacquiao: 'I Just Heard the Final Bell'
Boxing great retires
- Boxing legend Manny Pacquiao is officially hanging up his gloves, the AP reports. The eight-division world champion and Philippines senator on Wednesday announced his retirement from the ring, “As I hang up my boxing gloves, I would like to thank the whole world, especially the Filipino people for supporting...
Trump on New Gig:
'You Won't Want
to Miss This'
Sep 8, 2021 6:23 AM CDT
Trump on New Gig: 'You Won't Want to Miss This'
He'll provide live, 'unfiltered' commentary for Saturday boxing event
- Former President Trump will spend a good portion of the 20th anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks calling a boxing event. Trump and his son, Donald Trump Jr., have signed a contract to provide commentary for a four-fight, pay-per-view "gamecast" of Saturday's event at the Hard Rock Hotel...
COVID, De La Hoya
Calls Off Fight
Sep 3, 2021 4:40 PM CDT
Hospitalized With COVID, De La Hoya Calls Off Fight
Boxer was to return to the ring next week after 13 years
- Oscar De La Hoya says he's fully vaccinated and has been taking care of himself, training for a comeback fight next week. Still, he contracted the coronavirus, and there will be no fight, the boxing great tweeted Friday. De La Hoya is in the hospital with a case of...
Boxer, 18, Dies 5 Days
After She Was Knocked Out
Sep 3, 2021 11:53 AM CDT
Boxer, 18, Dies 5 Days After She Was Knocked Out
Jeannette Zacarias Zapata appeared to have seizure during Montreal fight
- Canadian authorities are investigating the death of an 18-year-old boxer from Mexico who was knocked unconscious during a Saturday night bout in Montreal. Event promoter Groupe Yvon Michel said Thursday night that it had learned with "great sadness and torment" that Jeannette Zacarias Zapata had died in the hospital...
One of The Greatest Boxing
Champs Ever Has Died
Mar 14, 2021 5:40 AM CDT
One of The Greatest Boxing Champs Ever Has Died
Marvelous Marvin Hagler was 66
- One of the great middleweights in boxing history, Marvelous Marvin Hagler died Saturday at the age of 66, per the AP . His wife, Kay, announced his death on the Facebook page for Hagler's fans. Hagler fought on boxing’s biggest stages against its biggest names, as he, Leonard,...
Leon Spinks, Who Once Beat
Muhammed Ali, Dead at 67
Feb 7, 2021 5:14 AM CST
Leon Spinks, Who Once Beat Muhammed Ali, Dead at 67
A former heavyweight champ and Olympian
- Leon Spinks, who won Olympic gold and then shocked the boxing world by beating Muhammad Ali to win the heavyweight title in only his eighth pro fight, has died. He was 67. Spinks, who lived his later years in Las Vegas, died Friday night, according to a release from a...
Tyson 'Happy I'm
Not Knocked Out'
Nov 29, 2020 8:44 AM CST
Tyson 'Happy I'm Not Knocked Out'
It's a draw between Iron Mike, Roy Jones Jr.
- Mike Tyson stepped through the ropes in his signature black trunks and heard the opening bell in a boxing ring for the first time in 15 years. The former heavyweight champion of the world traded lively punches with Roy Jones Jr. for eight entertaining rounds that ended with two middle-aged...
Mike Tyson: Mind-Altering
Drug Told Me What to Do
Nov 28, 2020 10:20 AM CST
Mike Tyson: Mind-Altering Drug Told Me What to Do
The iconic boxer will be back in fight Saturday night
- No toad venom, no fight night. That's pretty much what Mike Tyson said of his return to boxing against Roy Jones Jr. in an eight-round exhibition matchup slated for Saturday night,
reports. "I took the medicine and the medicine told me to get into shape,"...
to the Ring
Jul 23, 2020 4:22 PM CDT
Mike Tyson Returning to the Ring at 54
His opponent is over 50, too
- Fifteen years is a long time between fights. And then there's the fact that Mike Tyson is 54 now. But the former undisputed heavyweight champ is returning to the ring "because I can do it," ESPN reports. "Just because we are 54, it doesn't mean...
You'll Need to
May 29, 2020 10:02 AM CDT
Switzerland to Sex Workers: You'll Need to Social Distance
Nation gives OK to prostitutes but still prohibits judo, boxing, wrestling, ballroom dancing
- If you're a sex worker in Switzerland, you'll soon be back in business. If you're a judo, ballroom dancing, or boxing aficionado, you're going to have to wait a little longer. Bloomberg reports that the country's legal prostitution industry will be permitted to reopen on...
Offered 8 Figures
to Get Back
May 26, 2020 12:38 PM CDT
Mike Tyson Offered 8 Figures to Get Back in Ring
Company indicates it will up its $20M offer after the boxer didn't accept
- It's been 15 years since Mike Tyson publicly stepped in the ring. He's now being offered more than $1 million for each year he's been away to fight just one more time. MMA Fighting reports that Bare Knuckle Fighting Championship made quite the offer to the 53-year-old...
Mike Tyson 'Empty,'
'Nothing' in Retirement
in case you missed it
Mar 8, 2020 10:29 AM CDT
Mike Tyson 'Empty,' 'Nothing' in Retirement
'That's the reason why I'm crying, 'cause I'm not that person no more'
- Mike Tyson shed tears during a recent episode of his podcast, revealing he's struggling to find purpose in retirement. "I know the art of fighting. I know the art of war. That's all I've ever studied," the former heavyweight boxing champ told guest Sugar Ray...
for Bizarre Reason
in case you missed it
Feb 29, 2020 7:00 AM CST
Losing Boxer Wants Rematch for Bizarre Reason
Deontay Wilder blames 40-pound costume for his loss to Tyson Fury
- He wanted his fans to remember this night for years to come—but a boxer's choice of attire to make that night memorable ended up doing him in, he now says. Deontay Wilder faced off against Tyson Fury on Saturday in Las Vegas for the WBC heavyweight championship, and...
Patrick Day Dies at 27
Oct 16, 2019 7:05 PM CDT
Patrick Day Dies at 27
Middleweight was knocked out Saturday
- Boxer Patrick Day has died four days after sustaining head injuries in a Chicago fight with Charles Conwell. Promoter Lou DiBella said Day died Wednesday at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. He was 27. "He was surrounded by his family, close friends and members of his boxing team, including his mentor,...
Boxer Writes Emotional Letter
After Punch Puts Rival in Coma
Oct 15, 2019 1:24 AM CDT
Boxer Writes Emotional Letter After Punch Puts Rival in Coma
'I never meant this to happen to you, all I wanted to do was win'
- A boxer is fighting for his life in a Chicago hospital after being knocked out in the 10th round of a bout at Wintrust Arena on Saturday. Patrick Day's management company says the 27-year-old was in a coma and was in "extremely critical condition" as of Sunday night,...
She Was a
Aug 23, 2019 1:00 AM CDT
Muggers Didn't Know She Was a Boxing Champ
Victim sends two men who attacked her fleeing
- Two men tried to rob a 26-year-old woman on her way to a gym in Chicago last weekend. They picked her out, stopping her to ask directions minutes before they attacked. "I'm a normal-looking girl. I'm a normal person," Claire Quinn said. "I'm not...
For 2nd Time This Week,
a Young Boxer Is Dead
Jul 25, 2019 4:00 PM CDT
For 2nd Time This Week, a Young Boxer Is Dead
Hugo Santillán, 23, collapsed after his fight and died of head injuries
- A young boxer died Thursday—just two days after the tragically similar death of another young boxer . Hugo Alfredo "Dinamita" Santillán, 23, of Argentina, collapsed Saturday after the WBC Latino Silver lightweight bout against Uruguayan Eduardo Javier Abreu in San Nicolás, a city 150 miles north of...
His Trainer Ended the Fight, but
It Was Too Late for Boxer, 28
Jul 24, 2019 3:46 PM CDT
His Trainer Ended the Fight, but It Was Too Late for Boxer, 28
Maxim Dadashev died after collapsing outside the ring
- "I'm gonna stop the fight, Max. You're getting hit too much." So said trainer Buddy McGirt to boxer Maxim Dadashev Friday before calling an end to his boxing match with Subriel Matias after 11 rounds—in a video that's gone viral now that Dadashev, 28,...
to Curb Violence
Jun 3, 2019 12:52 PM CDT
Baltimore Mayor Has Unusual Idea to Curb Violence
Jack Young suggests public boxing matches
- Baltimore logged another violent weekend, with one stabbing and eight shootings, reports WBAL . Now Mayor Jack Young is floating an unusual idea to keep the violence in check—public boxing matches. Young mentioned the proposal while discussing ways to keep teens occupied and tempers under control. Mediation is one approach,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Law Would Jail Parents Whose Children Aren't Vaccinated
She's Expected to Be a Senator in 2 Days
Incurable Disease Plaguing Young Stone Cutters
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
Married Couple Killed by Grizzly Bear in Banff
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.