Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Transgender Man Sues
Hospital for Refusing Surgery
Jan 5, 2017 5:55 PM CST
Transgender Man Sues Hospital for Refusing Surgery
Jionni Conforti says the Catholic hospital cited religion as a reason
- A transgender man in New Jersey sued a Roman Catholic hospital Thursday, saying it cited religion in refusing to allow his surgeon to perform a hysterectomy as part of his sex transition, the AP reports. Jionni Conforti, 33, had scheduled the surgery at St. Joseph's Regional Medical Center in...
Have to Perform
Jan 14, 2016 5:20 PM CST
Judge: Catholic Hospital Doesn't Have to Perform Tubal Ligation
He rules it's not sex discrimination
- A San Francisco judge has denied a woman's request that he require a Catholic hospital to perform a tubal ligation to prevent pregnancy. Superior Court Judge Ernest Goldsmith on Thursday upheld his previous tentative ruling that Mercy Medical Center in Redding, California, was not engaging in sex discrimination by...
Dec 2, 2013 5:34 PM CST
Woman Sues Catholic Bishops Over Hospital Miscarriage
Catholic hospitals' abortion rule puts women at risk: lawsuit
- A Michigan woman is suing US Catholic bishops after having a painful miscarriage at a Catholic hospital that did not offer her an abortion, the
Detroit Free Press
reports. In her lawsuit, Tamesha Means says she went to Mercy Health Partners in Muskegon in 2010 when her water broke after...
White House Revamps Contraception Rules
Feb 1, 2013 11:57 AM CST
White House Revamps Contraception Rules
But rules out a broader exemption
- The Obama administration today officially issued a proposed change to its rule mandating that employers offer their female employees insurance that includes copay-free access to contraception. Under the new rule, women who work for a religiously-affiliated employer, such as a Catholic hospital, will still get free access to contraceptives, but...
Catholic Church Cuts Ties
With Hospital Over Abortion
Dec 22, 2010 4:08 PM CST
Catholic Church Cuts Ties With Hospital Over Abortion
Phoenix facility performed one to save the mother's life
- When a Catholic hospital in Phoenix performed an abortion to save the life of the mother, the Catholic Church excommunicated the nun who gave the go-ahead. Now it's severed ties with the hospital itself, reports the
Los Angeles Times
. The city's bishop stripped St. Joseph's Hospital of its Catholic affiliation...
Bill on Abortion
break with bishops?
Dec 26, 2009 6:37 AM CST
Catholic Hospitals Back Senate Bill on Abortion
Support compromise bishops call 'morally unacceptable'
- In a break from their holdout bishops, Catholic hospitals signaled this week that they they will support the abortion-financing provision in the Senate health reform bill passed on Christmas Eve. The Senate bill allows states to bar the use of federal subsidies for insurance plans that cover abortion, and requires...
Bishops to Press Obama
on Abortion Ban
Nov 12, 2008 3:56 AM CST
Bishops to Press Obama on Abortion Ban
Catholic leaders re-energize abortion opposition at annual meet
- America's Roman Catholic bishops appear to be on a collision course with the Obama administration over abortion, the
reports. At the bishops’ annual meeting yesterday in Baltimore the group began drafting a statement that will call on the president-elect to outlaw the procedure. The bishops also threatened to...
Popular on Newser
Here's What People Are Saying After Biden's State of the Union
Elian Gonzalez Is Making Headlines Again
Romney Had It Out With George Santos at SOTU
After Tyre Nichols' Beating, a Pic Began Making the Rounds
As Quake Toll Surges, More Questions About 1999 Tax
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.