Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Nov 30, 2022 6:08 AM CST
After Tiananmen, This Chinese Leader Defied Predictions
Former President Jiang Zemin, who led his nation out of isolation, is dead at age 96
- Former President Jiang Zemin, who led China out of isolation after the army crushed the Tiananmen Square pro-democracy protests in 1989 and supported economic reforms that led to a decade of explosive growth, died Wednesday. He was 96. Jiang died of leukemia and multiple organ failure in Shanghai, where he...
Incoming S. Korean Leader
Wants to Upend Tradition
Mar 21, 2022 11:28 AM CDT
Incoming S. Korean Leader Wants to Upend Tradition
Yoon Suk-yeol's plans to move presidential residence from Blue House faces resistance
- South Korea's outgoing liberal government expressed its opposition Monday to a plan by its rival and conservative President-elect Yoon Suk-yeol to relocate the presidential office by his inauguration in May, a development that could put Yoon's ambitious project in doubt and trigger a domestic political firestorm. On Sunday,...
Leftist Millennial Wins
Presidency in Chile
Dec 20, 2021 11:12 AM CST
Leftist Millennial Wins Presidency in Chile
Gabriel Boric, 35, is nation's youngest modern president
- Former leftist student leader Gabriel Boric will be under quick pressure from his youthful supporters to fulfill his promises to remake Chile after the millennial politician scored a historic victory in the country's presidential runoff election, per the AP . Boric spent months traversing Chile, vowing to bring a youth-led...
He Became President, Then
Was Betrayed by Ayatollah
Oct 9, 2021 5:30 AM CDT
He Became President, Then Was Betrayed by Ayatollah
Abolhassan Banisadr, first Iranian president after 1979 revolution, dies at 88
- Abolhassan Banisadr, Iran's first president after the country's 1979 Islamic Revolution who fled Tehran after being impeached for challenging the growing power of clerics as the nation became a theocracy, died Saturday, reports the AP . He was 88. Banisadr's family said in a statement online Saturday that...
Ex-French President Hit With
One-Year Prison Sentence
Sep 30, 2021 6:51 AM CDT
Ex-French President Hit With One-Year Prison Sentence
Nicolas Sarkozy found guilty of illegal campaign financing during his 2012 reelection bid
- For the first time in modern French history, a former president earlier this year was tried and convicted of corruption and sentenced to jail time. Now, that same president, Nicolas Sarkozy, has a new conviction under his belt, complete with an additional one-year prison sentence after being found guilty Thursday...
Aug 23, 2021 10:00 AM CDT
Ex-President of Bolivia Recovering After Apparent Suicide Attempt
Jeanine Anez, charged with 'genocide,' in stable condition after apparently cutting her arms
- On Friday, Bolivian prosecutors charged Jeanine Anez—the former president of Bolivia, already in detention after being accused in March of leading a coup against another ex-Bolivian president, Evo Morales—with "genocide." Police are now saying the 54-year-old Anez tried to kill herself over the weekend in jail....
Things Get Worse for Poorest
Nation in Western Hemisphere
Jul 7, 2021 10:15 AM CDT
Things Get Worse for Poorest Nation in Western Hemisphere
Still no word on who might be behind assassination of Jovenel Moise
- Haiti is the poorest nation in the Western Hemisphere, per Reuters , and the situation there worsened drastically on Wednesday with the overnight assassination of President Jovenel Moise in his home. There are no updates yet on the suspected identity of the gunmen, some of whom were reportedly overheard speaking Spanish...
Mar 13, 2021 6:00 AM CST
Nation's Ex-President Arrested: 'Political Persecution Has Begun'
Jeanine Anez denies she replaced Evo Morales in Bolivian 'coup,' calling it a 'constitutional succession'
- Bolivian President Evo Morales served for nearly 14 years before he was forced to resign in 2019 amid allegations of electoral fraud after his reelection victory. Now, the lawmaker who took over for him has been arrested. Jeanine Anez, the country's former interim president, posted a link Friday on...
Peru Has Its 3rd
President in a Week
Nov 18, 2020 6:31 AM CST
Peru Has Its 3rd President in a Week
Francisco Sagasti aims to restore trust in government after Martín Vizcarra's ouster
- Peruvians watched in hope as the nation's third president in just over a week was sworn in to office Tuesday, promising to restore trust in government after the worst constitutional crisis in two decades. Francisco Sagasti donned the presidential sash and in his first words to the nation paid...
Oct 24, 2020 6:00 AM CDT
Another World Leader Comes Down With COVID
Poland President Andrzej Duda is latest to be stricken with disease in nation seeing a spike
- Poland has entered the "red zone" for COVID-19, with a new nationwide lockdown due to a spike in cases, and infections are starting right at the top. The AP reports President Andrzej Duda tested positive for the coronavirus on Friday, though the 48-year-old says he feels OK so far,...
Ronald Reagan Got It.
Trump Still Doesn't
Oct 5, 2020 10:00 AM CDT
Ronald Reagan Got It. Trump Still Doesn't
No. 40's daughter Patti Davis argues that Trump needs to tell the truth about his health
- Ronald's Reagan's daughter is following the news from Walter Reed hospital, and she doesn't like what she sees. "When you're president, privacy is not an option—including, and maybe especially, privacy about your health," writes Patti Davis in the
. "Instead of...
In 'Scene From
a Big Save
Aug 18, 2020 7:24 AM CDT
In 'Scene From
,' Portugal President Makes a Big Save
Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa, in Algarve region to boost tourism, helped rescue 2 kayakers
- In normal nonpandemic years, guests flock to the Algarve in Portugal to holiday in the sun. One high-profile name's own recent trip there may have just given the region a little unexpected promotion. Local media reports that Portuguese President Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa has been spending his vacation heading...
This News Could Finally
Tip the Odds in Taliban Talks
Dec 22, 2019 4:31 PM CST
This News Could Finally Tip the Odds in Taliban Talks
Looks like President Ashraf Ghani has a 2nd term
- Afghan President Ashraf Ghani appears to have narrowly won a second term, according to preliminary results from September's balloting that were announced Sunday, although his main challenger rejected the outcome as illegitimate, the AP reports. If the outcome stands despite the complaints of ballot fraud, it could give Ghani...
Stabbed to Death
Nov 20, 2019 9:25 AM CST
Ex-German President's Son Stabbed to Death During Speech
Richard von Weizsaecker's son Fritz, 59, was killed at hospital where he was a head physician
- The son of former German president Richard von Weizsaecker, one of the country's most popular leaders, was stabbed to death while giving a lecture at a Berlin hospital where he worked as a head physician, police said Wednesday. A 57-year-old German man is in custody after he leaped from...
A Late President,
a Sword, and a Mystery
Nov 7, 2019 8:28 AM CST
A Late President, a Sword, and a Mystery
Cops says weapon used by William Henry Harrison was recovered; historian says no
- A sword believed to have seen action in the American Revolution, been wielded by eventual President William Henry Harrison in the War of 1812, and gone missing from a Cincinnati museum is now said to be recovered after 40 years, though one historian refutes the claim. Fox News reports on...
French President Who
Stood Up to US Dead at 86
Sep 26, 2019 7:00 AM CDT
French President Who Stood Up to US Dead at 86
Former French leader Jacques Chirac died 'peacefully, among his loved ones'
- Jacques Chirac, a two-term French president who was the first leader to acknowledge France's role in the Holocaust and defiantly opposed the US invasion of Iraq in 2003, has died at age 86. Son-in-law Frederic Salat-Baroux tells the AP that Chirac died Thursday "peacefully, among his loved ones....
He Was Rumored to Be Dead.
So He Drove Out to the Fire Pit
Aug 7, 2019 1:32 PM CDT
He Was Rumored to Be Dead. So He Drove Out to the Fire Pit
Turkmenistan's president has an odd way of proving he's alive
- He could've just held up a newspaper with a recent date displayed as proof of life. But that's not how Turkmenistan's president rolls when he wants to quash death rumors and let people know he's very much alive. Last month, a rep for the country's...
Human Rights Official on Morsi
Death: 'Entirely Predictable'
Jun 18, 2019 8:24 AM CDT
Human Rights Official on Morsi Death: 'Entirely Predictable'
Family, other critics: Mohamed Morsi's demise hastened by harsh treatment in prison
- The cause of death of former Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi, who died Monday after collapsing in court during his espionage trial: perhaps a heart attack or stroke, the
reports, citing local media and Egyptian authorities. The take of a Human Rights Watch official, however: "entirely predictable."...
Lawyer on Charges Against
Ex-MSU President: 'Baseless'
Nov 21, 2018 9:25 AM CST
Lawyer on Charges Against Ex-MSU President: 'Baseless'
Lou Anna Simon accused of making false or misleading statements in Larry Nassar case
- She was the first woman president at Michigan State University, but her career there ended in the aftermath of Larry Nassar . Now Lou Anna Simon has a new problem to deal with: The
Lansing State Journal
reports she's the third person from MSU to be hit with charges from...
a New No. 1
Jul 12, 2018 10:50 AM CDT
In Presidential Rankings, There's a New No. 1
Nearly half of all Americans say No. 44 was best president of their lives in Pew survey
- Ask Americans who the best president has been in their lifetimes, and one man ranks significantly above all others—though he didn't always. Barack Obama won the top spot in the Pew Research Center survey, based on phone interviews with 2,000 US adults during the week of June...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Pentagon: US Ships Were Attacked in Red Sea
Your Walking Speed Affects Health Benefits
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.