Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Protesters Rush Police to
Neutralize Tear Gas Canisters
Jan 29, 2023 2:50 PM CST
Protesters Rush Police to Neutralize Tear Gas Canisters
Volunteers in Peru wrest hot canisters from officers so demonstrations can go on
- When police fire tear gas at protesters demanding the resignation of Peruvian President Dina Boluarte, most run away. A few, though, run toward the gas canisters as quickly as possible—to neutralize them. These are the "deactivators." Donning gas masks, safety goggles and thick gloves, these volunteers grab...
Just Hold Off on Booking
a Trip to Machu Picchu
Jan 23, 2023 8:21 AM CST
Just Hold Off on Booking a Trip to Machu Picchu
Hundreds of tourists are stranded as Peru closes down landmark amid anti-government protests
- Peru indefinitely shut the famed ancient ruins of Machu Picchu on Saturday in the latest sign that anti-government protests that began last month are increasingly engulfing the South American country. The Culture Ministry said it had closed the country's most famous tourist attraction, as well as the Inca Trail...
Thousands Descend on Peru's
Capital: 'Dina, Resign Already!'
Jan 21, 2023 5:30 AM CST
Thousands Descend on Peru's Capital: 'Dina, Resign Already!'
Protesters arrive in Lima to demand resignation of new President Dina Boluarte
- Thousands of protesters took to the streets of Peru's capital Friday and were met with volleys of tear gas for the second straight day, as demonstrators made clear they'll keep up their mobilizations to demand the resignation of President Dina Boluarte. Many of the protesters in Lima had...
Jan 16, 2023 10:00 AM CST
Cops Confront Thunberg Over Coal Mine Controversy
Climate activist carried away by police after they say she wouldn't leave protest in Germany
- For at least two years, climate activists have converged upon the German village of Luetzerath to protest a planned razing of the town to make way for the expansion of a nearby coal mine. This weekend, perhaps the most famous climate activist of our time showed up in solidarity at...
Jan 14, 2023 12:55 PM CST
Thousands Protest Authoritarian Shift
Tunisia also is dealing with an economic crisis
- Thousands of protesters angry at Tunisia's economic crisis and the president's increasingly authoritarian drift marched on Saturday through the capital, responding to a call from opposition parties to mark 12 years since Tunisian protesters unleashed Arab Spring uprisings around the region. The protest followed disastrous parliamentary elections last...
Marches Follow Protest Suicide
Jan 8, 2023 11:55 AM CST
Marches Follow Protest Suicide
Iranian Kurdish man distraught over turmoil drowned himself in France
- Hundreds of people marched Sunday in France to honor an Iranian Kurdish man who took his own life in a desperate act of anguish over the nationwide protests in Iran. French police estimated the crowd that gathered for Mohammad Moradi at about 1,000 people. They marched in the city...
Israeli Lawmakers Protest
New Government's Plans
Jan 7, 2023 2:45 PM CST
Israeli Lawmakers Protest New Government's Plans
Left-wing Knesset members' concerns include judicial overhaul
- Thousands of Israelis took to the streets Saturday evening to protest plans by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's new government that opponents say threaten democracy and freedoms. The protesters gathered in the central city of Tel Aviv days after the most right-wing and religiously conservative government in the country's...
Political Crisis Strands
Americans in Machu Picchu
Dec 18, 2022 3:10 PM CST
Political Crisis Strands Americans in Machu Picchu
Rail lines to airport, highways have been blocked in Peru
- Violent protests that began after the removal from office of President Pedro Castillo are keeping American tourists from leaving Peru. The government declared a national emergency on Wednesday, per NBC News . Hundreds of foreign visitors in total have been stranded around the historic city of Machu Picchu. Brian Vega said...
Fans Storm Field,
Dec 17, 2022 3:35 PM CST
Fans Storm Field, Attack Goalkeeper
Crowds backing both sides planned walkout over decision to move future finals to Sydney
- Australian soccer rans ran onto the field Saturday during a professional match in Melbourne, attacking one of the goalkeepers. Tom Glover of Melbourne City was pushed and hit with what looked like a metal bucket holding a white substance, the
reports. Teammates rushed over to protect Glover from...
Human Rights Abuses
Dec 10, 2022 2:15 PM CST
Protesters Denounce Human Rights Abuses
Extrajudicial killings are increasing under Marcos, Philippine opponents say
- Hundreds of people marched in the Philippine capital on Saturday protesting what they said was a rising number of extrajudicial killings and other injustices under the administration of President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. The protesters, led by a Philippines-based rights group, gathered at a public square in Manila before marching toward...
Iran Hangs the
First of Its Protesters
Dec 8, 2022 7:45 AM CST
Iran Hangs the First of Its Protesters
Mohsen Shekari, 23, was accused of attacking a security official with a knife
- Iran has carried out the first execution of an anti-government protester convicted over recent unrest triggered by the death of Mahsa Amini. Mohsen Shekari, 23, who in a video shared by state media admitted to attacking a member of a volunteer paramilitary force with a knife or machete and blocking...
Iran's World Cup Exit.
Then Bullets Rained
Dec 1, 2022 8:53 AM CST
Protesters Cheered Iran's World Cup Exit. Then Bullets Rained
At least 1 shot dead, 30 injured across Iran, human rights groups say
- Anti-government protesters in Iran celebrated their team's exit from the World Cup early Wednesday as another blow to the regime of Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, though the jubilation was soon interrupted by gunfire. Human rights activists say 27-year-old Mehran Samak was shot dead after honking his car horn in the...
Name in Nod to
Nov 11, 2022 6:30 AM CST
Actor Changes His Name in Nod to Global Warming
The new moniker: Rainnfall Heat Wave Extreme Winter Wilson
- The United Nations' COP27 climate change summit is currently underway in Egypt, with some of the biggest names in the world set to attend . But one name in particular is making headlines back in the States over global warming, in a most unusual way. Rainn Wilson, who played Dwight on...
They Marched to
Protest Mahsa's Death.
Now, Public Trials
Nov 1, 2022 7:42 AM CDT
They Marched to Protest Mahsa's Death. Now, Public Trials
Thousands who demonstrated against death of teen will appear before Iran's hard-line judiciary
- Thousands of Iranians who protested the September death of 22-year-old Mahsa Amini , who died in police custody after being arrested for not wearing a hijab, are about to see themselves put on public trial. The
reports that 1,000 individuals in the capital of Tehran who've been indicted...
Gets a Scathing
Oct 27, 2022 9:15 AM CDT
Barrett's Book Gets a Scathing Literary Reaction
In open letter, literati blast publisher, SCOTUS justice over 'fundamental human right' of abortion
- Not everyone is thrilled about Amy Coney Barrett's upcoming book , including a couple hundred literary notables who've signed a scathing open letter to her publisher. The
reports on the letter —titled "We Dissent" and signed by close to 250 "members of the writing, publishing,...
Macron Rivals, Nobel Laureate
March Against Inflation
Oct 16, 2022 12:15 PM CDT
Macron Rivals, Nobel Laureate March Against Inflation
Demonstrators increase pressure on government
- Thousands of protesters, including France's newly crowned Nobel literature laureate, piled into the streets of Paris on Sunday, in a show of anger against the bite of rising prices and pressure on the government of President Emmanuel Macron. The march for wage increases and other demands was organized by...
Russians Are Attacking
Sep 27, 2022 8:11 AM CDT
Russians Are Attacking Enlistment Offices
A shooting and an arson attack came on Monday alone
- A Russian man opened fire on a commander at a military recruitment office in Ust-Ilimsk on Monday, leaving him in grave condition, in the latest sign of frustration over partial military mobilization . "No one will go fight. We will all go home now," said the alleged shooter, 25-year-old...
Abe's $12M State Funeral May
Have Spurred Self-Immolation
Sep 21, 2022 11:24 AM CDT
Abe's $12M State Funeral May Have Spurred Self-Immolation
Man set himself on fire near Japanese prime minister's office in Tokyo
- A man set himself on fire outside the Japanese prime minister's office in apparent protest of a state funeral for the assassinated ex-leader Shinzo Abe. It happened on Wednesday, on what would've been Abe's 68th birthday. The elderly man, initially found unconscious with burns to his entire...
Trump to Ashli Babbitt's Mom:
'We Can't Let This Happen'
Sep 14, 2022 7:17 AM CDT
Trump to Ashli Babbitt's Mom: 'We Can't Let This Happen'
Call to Micki Witthoeft took place during protest outside DC jail in support of Jan. 6 rioters
- A rally in support of the rioters involved on the Jan. 6 attack on the US Capitol was held outside a DC prison on Tuesday, and Micki Witthoeft, the mother of Ashli Babbitt —the late 36-year-old Air Force veteran who was fatally gunned down by a Capitol Police officer...
Jul 30, 2022 11:45 AM CDT
Protesters Storm Iraqi Parliament
Cleric's followers begin sit-in, canceling legislative session
- Thousands of followers of an influential Shiite cleric breached Iraq's parliament on Saturday, for the second time this week, protesting government formation efforts led by his rivals, an alliance of Iran-backed groups. The alliance called for counterprotests, raising the specter of civil strife. Iraqi security forces initially used tear...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Boy Dies After 'the Most Exciting Moment of His Life'
Dances With Wolves Actor Arrested in Sex Cult Case
Woman Dies After a Fall on Southwest Airlines' Jet Bridge
Prosecutors: Baldwin Was on His Phone During Gun Training
Missing Monkeys Found in Abandoned Home
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.