Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Protester Glues Feet
to Floor at US Open
Sep 8, 2023 5:40 AM CDT
Protester Glues Feet to Floor at US Open
4 protesters were removed from stands before semi-final match could continue
- Coco Gauff's US Open semifinal victory over Karolina Muchova was delayed by 50 minutes because of a disruption by four environmental activists in the Arthur Ashe Stadium stands Thursday night. One protester glued his bare feet to the concrete floor, per the AP . Gauff was leading 1-0 in the...
Aug 3, 2023 9:10 AM CDT
Greenpeace Stages Sit-In on Rishi Sunak's Roof
Activists against oil drilling draped UK PM's country home in Richmond in black fabric
- Greenpeace demonstrators draped the country estate of British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak in black fabric Thursday to protest his plan to expand oil and gas drilling in the North Sea. Video posted by the group showed a crew dressed in bright red jumpsuits, helmets, and safety harnesses carrying ladders and...
Greta Thunberg: 'Justifiable'
That I Ignored Cops
Jul 24, 2023 12:30 PM CDT
Greta Thunberg: 'Justifiable' That I Ignored Cops
20-year-old climate activist fined $240 for refusing to leave protest site in Sweden last month
- Last month, an unsurprising attendee showed up at a fossil fuels protest in Sweden and was detained: Greta Thunberg, who's been demonstrating in the name of climate change awareness since at least 2018. Local media reports that the 20-year-old activist was among those who stopped traffic on June 19...
Sit-In Protests Women's Assault
Jul 22, 2023 5:45 PM CDT
Sit-In Protests Women's Assault
Thousands in India demand arrests and official's resignation
- Thousands of people, mostly women, held a massive sit-in in India's violence-wracked northeastern state of Manipur on Saturday to demand the immediate arrest of anyone who took part in the harrowing May assault of two women who were paraded around naked and molested by a mob in an attack...
Huge Protests, Ex-Officials,
Reservists Pressure Netanyahu
Jul 22, 2023 3:30 PM CDT
Huge Protests, Ex-Officials, Reservists Pressure Netanyahu
Judicial overhaul heads toward vote Monday in parliament
- Tens of thousands of protesters marched into Jerusalem on Saturday evening, and hundreds of thousands of Israelis took to the streets in Tel Aviv and other cities in a last-ditch show of force aimed at blocking Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's contentious judicial overhaul . Also Saturday, more than 100 of...
Tired of Protests, Reddit
Jun 30, 2023 9:45 AM CDT
Tired of Protests, Reddit Threatens Moderators
Given the choice to reopen private subreddits or lose their roles, some get creative
- A Reddit community protest initially expected to last 48 hours has now stretched beyond two weeks and Reddit has had enough. It's sending out notices to moderators of subreddits that went private in protest of new charges for third-party developers, likely to shutter many, by threatening to remove them...
34 Years Later, Big Questions
on Tiananmen Unanswered
Jun 4, 2023 9:45 AM CDT
34 Years Later, Big Questions on Tiananmen Unanswered
China tightens access to site of crackdown, whose casualty total remains unknown
- China tightened access to Tiananmen Square in central Beijing on Sunday, the anniversary of the military suppression of 1989 pro-democracy protests that left a still unknown number of people dead and discussions and commemorations forbidden within the country. In Hong Kong, eight people, including activists and artists, were detained on...
After Shootings, Protesters
Demand State Media Changes
May 27, 2023 5:00 PM CDT
After Shootings, Protesters Demand State Media Changes
Demonstrations began in response to two mass shootings
- Huge crowds of anti-government protesters on Saturday encircled the Serbian state television building in downtown Belgrade to press their demand for autocratic President Aleksandar Vucic to ease his tight grip on the mainstream media and allow alternative voices. Tens of thousands of opposition supporters, some chanting slogans urging Vucic's...
Pornhub Has a
Surprise for Utah
May 2, 2023 9:07 AM CDT
Pornhub Has a Surprise for Utah
All residents are blocked, in the porn site's protest of state's new age-verification law
- On Wednesday, Utah's new age-verification law goes into effect, mandating that websites hosting adult content need to confirm users' ages before letting them browse. One company in particular isn't happy about the legislation: Pornhub, which shared a message Monday with anyone who tried to log on from the...
Use an Odd Tactic
Apr 24, 2023 12:01 PM CDT
Climate Protesters Use an Odd Tactic
In Berlin, Last Generation members glue their hands to the roads to shut down traffic
- German climate activists temporarily brought traffic to a standstill in some parts of Berlin on Monday by gluing themselves to streets all over the capital. The group Last Generation has repeatedly blocked roads across Germany in the past year in an effort to pressure the government to take more drastic...
Woman Who Honked Horn
at Protest Gets Some Bad News
Apr 11, 2023 8:36 AM CDT
Woman Who Honked Horn at Protest Gets Some Bad News
California woman supporting protesters that way wasn't covered by free speech, rules appeals court
- If you're tempted to honk your car horn in support of protesters, you might want to think twice in California. That's because on Friday, a three-judge panel for the US Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit upheld a lower court's ruling against Susan Porter, deciding that...
Hong Kongers Hold
First Protest in Years
Mar 27, 2023 7:10 PM CDT
Hong Kongers Hold First Protest in Years
Strict rules included cap on numbers, numbered tags for all marchers
- Dozens of people on Sunday joined Hong Kong's first authorized protest since the lifting of major COVID-19 restrictions under unprecedentedly strict rules, including wearing a numbered badge around their necks. The rules set out by the police, who cited security reasons, came as the financial hub was promoting its...
Amid Turmoil in Israel,
Netanyahu Backs Down
Mar 27, 2023 11:35 AM CDT
Amid Turmoil in Israel, Netanyahu Backs Down
Prime minister delays controversial plan to overhaul the judiciary
This story has been updated with new developments.
After unprecedented protests and strikes that paralyzed Israel, Benjamin Netanyahu has postponed his controversial plan to overhaul the nation's judicial system, reports Reuters . “I will give a genuine opportunity for genuine dialogue,” said Netanyahu. “One way or another,...
The French Are Really Mad
Mar 24, 2023 6:33 AM CDT
The French Are Really Mad
City Hall set ablaze in Bordeaux, cops clash with protesters in Paris over changes to pension system
- Last week, French President Emmanuel Macron bypassed Parliament and raised the age of retirement from 62 to 64, an unpopular move that left citizens "seething." Anger over the proposal has been bubbling up into strikes and protests since January, but the mostly peaceful demonstrations have also made way...
This Is Quite the Demonstration
Mar 3, 2023 12:17 PM CST
This Is Quite the Demonstration
Hundreds of angry farmers converge on Brussels' center, disrupt traffic, make their beef known
- Hundreds of tractors driven by angry farmers protesting a plan to cut nitrate levels converged on Brussels Friday, creating major traffic disruption in Belgium's capital city. The BB farmers union and several others combined efforts to gather more than 2,700 farm vehicles, according to Brussels police. Several major...
Denounce Aid to Ukraine
Feb 25, 2023 2:15 PM CST
German Protesters Denounce Aid to Ukraine
Demonstrators call for peace talks, with a few waving Russian flags
- Thousands of people protested in Berlin on Saturday to condemn Germany's supply of arms to Ukraine and call for peace talks to end the war. The organizers were criticized before the protest for dismissing Ukraine's right to defend its territory from Russian aggression and failing to distance themselves...
Protests Fail to Stop
Netanyahu's Legal Changes
Feb 20, 2023 5:40 PM CST
Protests Fail to Stop Netanyahu's Legal Changes
Israeli opposition promises to not give up
- Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's government on Tuesday for the first time advanced a plan to overhaul the country's legal system, defying a mass uproar among Israelis and calls for restraint from the US. The vote marked only preliminary approval for the plan, the AP reports. But it raised...
Nearly 1M French
Feb 11, 2023 1:15 PM CST
Nearly 1M French Protest Pension Plan Changes
Demonstrations against raising retirement age grow
- Police were out in force across France on Saturday as protesters held a sometimes restive fourth round of nationwide demonstrations against President Emmanuel Macron's plans to change the country's pension system. Over 960,000 people marched in Paris, Nice, Marseille, Toulouse, Nantes, and other cities, according to the...
Protesters Rush Police to
Neutralize Tear Gas Canisters
Jan 29, 2023 2:50 PM CST
Protesters Rush Police to Neutralize Tear Gas Canisters
Volunteers in Peru wrest hot canisters from officers so demonstrations can go on
- When police fire tear gas at protesters demanding the resignation of Peruvian President Dina Boluarte, most run away. A few, though, run toward the gas canisters as quickly as possible—to neutralize them. These are the "deactivators." Donning gas masks, safety goggles and thick gloves, these volunteers grab...
Just Hold Off on Booking
a Trip to Machu Picchu
Jan 23, 2023 8:21 AM CST
Just Hold Off on Booking a Trip to Machu Picchu
Hundreds of tourists are stranded as Peru closes down landmark amid anti-government protests
- Peru indefinitely shut the famed ancient ruins of Machu Picchu on Saturday in the latest sign that anti-government protests that began last month are increasingly engulfing the South American country. The Culture Ministry said it had closed the country's most famous tourist attraction, as well as the Inca Trail...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
16-Year-Old Arrested After Felling of Iconic Tree
Winners, Losers From the GOP Debate
Florida Man Bitten 41 Times by Rabid Otter
Arrest Made in Murder of Young Baltimore Tech CEO
Body of Colorado Woman Missing Since 2020 Found
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.