Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Orcas Sink Yacht in
Nov 6, 2023 6:55 PM CST
Orcas Sink Yacht in Halloween Attack
They 'hit the steering fin for 45 minutes, causing major damage and leakage'
- It could be the plot of a horror movie. A group of orcas attacked and sank a yacht in an attack that lasted for almost an hour on Halloween, a tour company says. In a post on Facebook , a Polish tour company said the orcas "hit the steering fin...
Aggressive Orcas Set Their
Sights on Elite Yacht Race
Jun 24, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
Aggressive Orcas Set Their Sights on Elite Yacht Race
Pod of killer whales goes after boats taking part in around-the-world Ocean Race near Spain
- A pod of killer whales bumped one of the boats in an endurance sailing race as it approached the Strait of Gibraltar, the latest encounter in what researchers say is a growing trend of sometimes-aggressive interactions with Iberian orcas. The 15-minute run-in with at least three of the giant mammals...
In a First, Orcas
Stalk Boat to Port
in case you missed it
Jun 11, 2023 6:40 AM CDT
In a First, Orcas Stalk Boat to Port
Killer whales disabled, followed vessel as it was towed back to shore
- It's still unclear why a group of orcas is attacking the rudders of sailboats off the Iberian Peninsula. What is clear is that they're not letting up. There were 20 incidents in the Strait of Gibraltar in the month of May, per the Independent . And in one case,...
Orca Who Swam Alone in Her
Tank for a Decade Has Died
Mar 15, 2023 2:38 PM CDT
Orca Who Swam Alone in Her Tank for a Decade Has Died
Kiska was captured alongside Keiko of 'Free Willy' fame
- Kiska, Canada’s last captive orca who swam alone in her tank at Marineland theme park for more than a decade, has died. Brent Ross, a spokesman for the Ministry of the Solicitor General in Ontario that oversees animal welfare in the province, said Monday that the theme park in...
Dead Sharks on a Beach
Were Missing Their Livers
Mar 7, 2023 4:45 PM CST
Dead Sharks on a Beach Were Missing Their Livers
The orcas Port and Starboard are the suspected killers
- First Cocaine Bear, now Disemboweling Orcas? The former may be fiction, but marine biologists say the second are all too real and recently attacked a group of sharks off South Africa.
The gory details.
Twenty dead sharks—19 broad nosed seven-gill and one spotted gully, all females measuring up to
Out of Mama Orca's
Tragedy, New Joy
Sep 7, 2020 1:23 AM CDT
Out of Mama Orca's Tragedy, New Joy
J35, who carried her dead calf for 17 days in 2018, has a new calf
- Tahlequah—or J35, as she is also known—the orca who heartbreakingly carried her dead calf for 17 days in 2018 , is a mom once again. She was discovered to be pregnant in July, and gave birth Friday. Researchers say the new calf appears to be "healthy and precocious"...
Stunned Scientist: 'It's
Like Seeing a Dinosaur'
Mar 9, 2019 5:30 PM CST
Stunned Scientist: 'It's Like Seeing a Dinosaur'
Researchers discover a new kind of killer whale
- A killer whale is hard to miss, and yet we did—for decades. Now scientists have discovered what could be a new species of killer whale thriving in a very inhospitable part of the world, Phys.org reports. Dubbed Type D, the whales were first recorded in 1955 when 17...
SeaWorld Just Lost
Jan 28, 2019 6:00 PM CST
SeaWorld Just Lost Another Orca
Kayla, 30, died after a brief illness at the theme park's Orlando location
- A 30-year-old orca died Monday at SeaWorld's Orlando park after a brief illness, company officials say. A cause of death won't be known until a post-mortem examination is conducted, per SeaWorld. Kayla began showing signs of discomfort on Saturday, and veterinarians began treating her based on what they...
Study Gives Bleakest of
Outlooks for Killer Whales
Sep 28, 2018 9:31 AM CDT
Study Gives Bleakest of Outlooks for Killer Whales
Study finds extremely high levels of PCBs in some orcas
- It's less killer whale and more killed whales, at least according to a new study that found at least half the world's orcas could be taken down by ocean pollution in just a few decades. The culprit: highly toxic polychlorinated biphenyls, or PCBs. "Despite a near-global ban...
3 Species Were
Known to Go Through
Menopause. Now It's 5
Aug 27, 2018 2:38 PM CDT
3 Species Were Known to Go Through Menopause. Now It's 5
Aside from humans, they're all similar in one way
- Menopause isn't a distinctly human condition—and now scientists have discovered two more species that experience it and then live well beyond it, bringing the total number to five. The four non-human species that go through menopause are similar in that they're all toothed whales. The new study,...
Grieving Mother Orca Finally
Lets Go of Dead Calf
Aug 12, 2018 4:00 PM CDT
Grieving Mother Orca Finally Lets Go of Dead Calf
Tahlequah is believed to have carried her offspring's body for 17 days over 1,000 miles
- The orca mom that carried the limp body of her dead calf for weeks , attracting worldwide attention for what many see as an undeniable expression of grief, has finally moved on. Per the
, Tahlequah dropped her offspring's decomposing body after going to great lengths to hold onto...
A Week Later, Orca Keeps
Diving to Retrieve Dead Calf
Jul 31, 2018 7:54 AM CDT
A Week Later, Orca Keeps Diving to Retrieve Dead Calf
Update given on J35 as of Monday afternoon
- An endangered orca that spends time in Pacific Northwest waters is still carrying the corpse of her calf one week after it died. Experts with the Whale Museum on San Juan Island have been monitoring the 20-year-old whale, known as J35, since her calf died shortly after birth Tuesday. Jenny...
A 'Gut-Wrenching' Mother's
Grief in the Puget Sound
Jul 27, 2018 12:45 PM CDT
A 'Gut-Wrenching' Mother's Grief in the Puget Sound
Orca won't let go of her calf, who died shortly after being born Tuesday off the Washington coast
- What's being described as a "gut-wrenching" scene is playing out in Puget Sound, and it's been going on for at least three days. The
reports on J35, an orca who gave birth on Tuesday only to witness her calf die 30 minutes later—and she'...
'Soul' of the
Is Dying of
in case you missed it
Jul 14, 2018 10:30 AM CDT
'Soul' of the Pacific NW Is Dying of Starvation
Killer whales are succumbing to a variety of factors, including pollution and lack of Chinook salmon
- "I believe we have orcas in our soul in this state." Those were the words of Washington Gov. Jay Inslee earlier this year after forming the Southern Resident Orca Task Force , an initiative meant to keep endangered killer whales alive in the region. Contributing to their extinction there,...
Washing Ashore in South Africa:
Great Whites With No Livers
May 12, 2017 4:04 PM CDT
Washing Ashore in South Africa: Great Whites With No Livers
Researchers think orcas are killing them
- Over four days in early May, three dead great white sharks washed ashore in South Africa—with their livers missing. Researchers with the Dyer Island Conservation Trust did necropsies and came to the conclusion that, based on the sharks' injuries, orcas likely killed them and ate their livers, the researchers...
Dead Killer Whale's Body
Holds Bleak Sign for Future
May 4, 2017 12:51 PM CDT
Dead Killer Whale's Body Holds Bleak Sign for Future
Lulu had 'shocking levels of PCBs' in her body
- When Lulu died tangled in fishing nets in Scotland last year, she was one of the last killer whales in the UK. She was also "one of the most contaminated animals on the planet," Dr. Andrew Brownlow tells the BBC . Brownlow says Lulu's body contained "shocking...
SeaWorld San Diego Ending
Shamu Shows Today
Jan 8, 2017 2:06 PM CST
SeaWorld San Diego Ending Shamu Shows Today
But 'Orca Encounter' shows don't sound all that different
- SeaWorld San Diego is ending its long-running killer whale show after years of outcry and falling attendance prompted it to renounce theatrical orca displays and its breeding program, the AP reports. The show that featured killer whales cavorting with trainers and leaping high out of the Shamu Stadium pool will...
Dies at SeaWorld
Jan 6, 2017 11:09 AM CST
's Tilikum Dies at SeaWorld
36-year-old orca was battling a lung infection
- The orca who inspired the documentary
died Friday at SeaWorld, his home for more than 20 years, reports
. A planned necropsy will give an official cause of death, though Tilikum had been suffering from a bacterial lung infection for some time. SeaWorld says that at an estimated...
Goes to Desperate
Lengths to Dodge
Aug 24, 2016 11:56 AM CDT
Clever Seal Goes to Desperate Lengths to Dodge Killer Whales
'Most intense epic experience ever': boat owner
- Seals are cute, curious, and apparently quite resourceful when they're trying to avoid becoming someone's dinner, per a story out of British Columbia. The CBC reports on the adventures of a survival-minded seal who, desperately trying to escape the clutches of the ravenous orcas pursuing it, hopped aboard...
Whale Has Potentially
Mar 8, 2016 6:03 PM CST
Whale Has Potentially Deadly Illness
Tilikum, who's killed 3 people, has a lung infection
- Tilikum, the killer whale at the heart of the SeaWorld-damning documentary
, has a lung infection that could possibly kill him, the
reports. SeaWorld announced the 35-year-old whale's illness Tuesday. "I wish I could say I was tremendously optimistic about Tilikum and his future, but he...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
A 'Shocking' Find on Trading Ahead of Hamas' Oct. 7 Attack
Fetterman Forks Over $343.20 for a Santos Troll Video
Mackenzie Phillips: I Forgave Dad for Me, Not Him
Canadian Entrepreneur, Philanthropist Found Dead With His Partner
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.