Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Jun 12, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
JPMorgan Settles With Epstein Victims for $290M
'We all now understand that Epstein's behavior was monstrous,' says bank accused of enabling him
- JPMorgan Chase has reached a settlement in a class-action lawsuit with victims of financier Jeffrey Epstein. Sources tell the
that the banking giant has agreed to pay $290 million. Epstein was arrested in 2019 on federal charges accusing him of paying underage girls hundreds of dollars in cash...
of Bank Crisis
Apr 4, 2023 10:15 AM CDT
Jamie Dimon: Repercussions of Bank Crisis Will Last
But JPMorgan chief emphasizes it's not as severe as the 2008 crisis
- Ten months ago, the chief of America's biggest bank warned that an economic "hurricane" was brewing and might slam the US. On Tuesday, Jamie Dimon of JPMorgan Chase sounded a lot more optimistic about the forecast, referencing "storm clouds" instead, reports Axios . In his annual letter to...
Oct 11, 2022 6:39 AM CDT
Jamie Dimon: Recession Lies Ahead
'This is serious stuff,' JPMorgan Chase CEO says, as Fed didn't do nearly enough in time
- The US economy is "actually still doing well" right now, JPMorgan Chase CEO Jamie Dimon said Monday—but that statement comes with a big "but." Dimon, in an interview with CNBC , continued, "you can’t talk about the economy without talking about stuff in the future—...
Even With $2.5B,
Oprah Isn't Among
400 Richest in US
Sep 28, 2022 12:05 PM CDT
Even With $2.5B, Oprah Isn't Among 400 Richest in US
Kanye West doesn't make the cut, either, though Donald Trump does
- Donald Trump has found his way back onto
' list of the 400 richest Americans. The former president was excluded in 2021 for the first time in 25 years. But with an estimated net worth of $3.2 billion—up from $2.5 billion last year—he's back for...
Bank CEO: 'Brace Yourself'
for an Economic 'Hurricane'
Jun 2, 2022 5:13 AM CDT
Bank CEO: 'Brace Yourself' for an Economic 'Hurricane'
'We don’t know if it’s a minor one or Superstorm Sandy,' Jamie Dimon says
- The chief of America's largest bank says an economic "hurricane" is brewing and the Federal Reserve will face a huge challenge as it tries to rein in inflation without causing a recession. "Right now it's kind of sunny, things are doing fine. Everyone thinks the Fed...
Apr 4, 2022 9:35 AM CDT
Jamie Dimon Warns of Unprecedented Trifecta
Pandemic recovery, Ukraine war, and high inflation could 'dramatically increase' risks to economy
- JPMorgan CEO Jamie Dimon is out with his annual letter to shareholders, which Axios notes is closely watched in financial circles. The
Wall Street Journal
finds that it's less rosy than last year, when he saw a potential "Goldilocks" moment of sustained growth on the horizon. This year,...
Regrets Joke About
Nov 24, 2021 11:36 AM CST
JPMorgan CEO Regrets Joke About Chinese Government
Jamie Dimon said bank would probably outlast Chinese Communist Party
- JPMorgan Chase CEO Jamie Dimon says "he truly regrets" a quip he made this week about JPMorgan outlasting the Chinese Communist Party. At an event in Boston Tuesday, Dimon said, "I was just in Hong Kong and I made a joke that the Communist Party is celebrating its...
Survives Health Scare
Mar 6, 2020 1:46 AM CST
JPMorgan Chief Survives Health Scare
Jamie Dimon had emergency heart surgery
- JPMorgan Chase CEO Jamie Dimon is recovering from another health scare, six years after he survived throat cancer . The bank says the CEO is "recovering well" after emergency heart surgery Thursday to treat an acute aortic dissection—a separation of tissues in the aorta wall, which is often fatal....
Chase Slammed for
Apr 30, 2019 10:30 AM CDT
Chase Slammed for 'Poor-Shaming' After 'Motivational' Tweet
Elizabeth Warren among critics hitting Chase
- Chase Bank's #MondayMotivation tweet was better suited for #ToneDeafTuesday, according to critics. The since-deleted tweet set up a hypothetical conversation between a bank account and its owner, who ponders the reasons for a low balance. "I guess we'll never know," the customer said, despite the bank...
Mar 18, 2019 4:41 PM CDT
Jamie Dimon: We've 'Bifurcated' the Economy
JP Morgan Chase CEO says the poor are being left behind
- There are two Americas, according to JPMorgan Chase CEO Jamie Dimon: In one, people are benefiting from corporations that are doing well. In the other, however, people are really struggling. "I don't want to be a tone deaf CEO," Dimon said, per CNBC , at the bank's...
Says He Could
Sep 12, 2018 12:30 PM CDT
Jamie Dimon Says He Could Beat Trump, Immediately Backtracks
'I should not have said it,' JPMorgan Chase head later clarifies
- Jamie Dimon had fighting words for President Trump Wednesday morning, but by noon the JPMorgan Chase & Co. chairman and CEO was already backtracking. "I think I could beat Trump" in an election, Dimon said at an event celebrating the company's philanthropy. "I’m as tough as...
3 Corporate Giants to Go
After the 'Hungry Tapeworm'
Jan 30, 2018 8:22 AM CST
3 Corporate Giants to Go After the 'Hungry Tapeworm'
Amazon, JPMorgan, Berkshire Hathaway will team up on health care
- "The ballooning costs of health care act as a hungry tapeworm on the American economy," says Berkshire Hathaway CEO Warren Buffett, and he has teamed up with some equally huge names in an attempt to go after said tapeworm. Amazon.com, Berkshire Hathaway, and JPMorgan Chase on Tuesday...
Republicans Get More
Good News on Tax Changes
Jan 24, 2018 9:45 AM CST
Republicans Get More Good News on Tax Changes
Starbucks, Disney plan raises and bonuses, and Jamie Dimon predicts economic growth
- Republicans have a few more bragging points over their newly passed tax plan , which slashed the corporate tax rate from 35% to 21%.
The chain is giving its US workers pay raises and stock grants this year, citing the tax changes, per the AP . Employees also soon will be
JPMorgan Chase Head on
Bitcoin Buyers: 'They're Stupid'
Sep 13, 2017 2:07 PM CDT
JPMorgan Chase Head on Bitcoin Buyers: 'They're Stupid'
Jamie Dimon predicts big losses for the digital currency
- Jamie Dimon says he would fire any employee caught trading bitcoin "in a second," the
reports. "It’s against our rules, and they’re stupid. And both are dangerous," the head of JPMorgan Chase said at a conference Tuesday. According to Reuters , bitcoin dropped 10%...
'Almost an Embarrassment
Being American': Jamie Dimon
Jul 14, 2017 3:49 PM CDT
'Almost an Embarrassment Being American': Jamie Dimon
JPMorgan CEO goes on anti-DC rant
- During JPMorgan Chase's earnings conference call Friday, CEO Jamie Dimon went off on a bit of a tangent. "It's almost an embarrassment being an American citizen traveling around the world and listening to the stupid s--- we have to deal with in this country," he said...
Has Throat Cancer
Jul 2, 2014 2:06 AM CDT
JPMorgan CEO Has Throat Cancer
Jamie Dimon says prognosis is 'excellent'
- JPMorgan Chase chief Jamie Dimon says he has been diagnosed with throat cancer—but it was caught early and he will be able to keep working while he is being treated. The 58-year-old CEO has told colleagues and shareholders that he will limit his travel during the eight weeks he...
in Detroit Renewal
May 21, 2014 8:41 AM CDT
JPMorgan Sinking $100M in Detroit Renewal
Effort aims to improve housing, offer job training
- JPMorgan is moving to help a bankrupt city get back on its feet. The bank is putting $100 million, divided between loans and grants, toward Detroit's revitalization, the
New York Times
reports. The money is intended to help the city with an array of projects, including housing improvements, the...
for Hiring 'Favor'
Feb 10, 2014 9:16 AM CST
China Regulator Asked JPMorgan for Hiring 'Favor'
Bank gave job to official's family friend
- With JPMorgan Chase facing scrutiny over its hiring in China, the
New York Times
is raising questions about a worker who is a family friend of a Chinese insurance regulator. In June 2012, when JPMorgan was looking for work with Chinese insurance firms, CEO Jamie Dimon met with the regulator,...
JPMorgan Report Brings Back Calls to Break Up Banks
Mar 15, 2013 6:38 AM CDT
JPMorgan Report Brings Back Calls to Break Up Banks
'Epic breakdown' in oversight led to $6B loss
- A Senate subcommittee report on JPMorgan Chase has slammed America's biggest financial institution so hard for trying to hide $6 billion in losses tied to the "London Whale" fiasco that business analysts are once again talking about the need to break up the biggest banks, reports Bloomberg . JPMorgan...
Mar 5, 2013 10:00 AM CST
Senate Hits JPMorgan Execs on $6B Loss
'London Whale' resurfaces
- A Senate subcommittee is taking JPMorgan to task over billions in losses tied to the so-called " London Whale ." The report, by the Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations, is likely to slam executives over a failure to adequately alert regulators and investors as the bank made big bets. Executives...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Congresswoman in Testy Exchange Over Hamas Rapes
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
Redwoods Surprise Scientists With a Survival Tactic
He Had Headaches for Months. Doctors Made a Surprising Find
Elusive Tire Slasher Turned Out to Be a Dog
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.