Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Rand Paul Saves Fellow
Senator With Heimlich
Nov 30, 2023 6:10 PM CST
Rand Paul Saves Fellow Senator With Heimlich
Joni Ernst was choking on her food until physician-senator intervened
- A Republican Senate luncheon turned dramatic on Thursday when Sen. Joni Ernst began choking on her food. Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul, a physician, came to the rescue, using the Heimlich maneuver to save his Iowa colleague,
reports. The luncheon took place behind closed doors, but senators announced the...
GOP Senator on
'In Oklahoma, You
Don't Do This'
Nov 15, 2023 7:21 AM CST
GOP Senator on Teamsters Boss: 'In Oklahoma, You Don't Do This'
Markwayne Mullin says he was showing 'Oklahoma values' in trying to fight Sean O'Brien at hearing
- A fight between the Teamsters union chief and a Republican senator almost got physical Tuesday and had to be refereed by Bernie Sanders at a Senate meeting on labor unions that "went off the rails," per the Daily Beast . After the verbal back-and-forth had ended, that GOP senator,...
on Tuberville Over
Nov 2, 2023 10:40 AM CDT
Republicans Turn on Tuberville Over Risky Blockade
It's a 'national security suicide mission,' says Sen. Dan Sullivan of delayed vote on military nominees
- Numerous members of his own party confronted Sen. Tommy Tuberville on Wednesday, demanding the Alabama Republican lift his legislative blockade used to delay votes on 375 military nominees since February, which is increasingly seen as a national security issue. "Months of simmering Republican frustration" burst into the open during...
After 19 Months,
the FAA Has a Leader
Oct 24, 2023 7:16 PM CDT
After 19 Months, the FAA Has a Leader
Michael Whitaker confirmed in 98-0 Senate vote
- After 19 months, there's finally somebody in charge at the Federal Aviation Administration. Michael Whitaker, a deputy FAA administrator during the Obama administration, was confirmed to a five-year term running the FAA in a 98-0 Senate vote Tuesday. Whitaker, who has held senior roles at several airlines, had the...
Takes On Senate
With Boebert Jab
Sep 20, 2023 6:51 AM CDT
Fetterman Takes On Senate Dress-Code Fury With Boebert Jab
Republicans are pushing back at relaxing what senators wear on Capitol Hill
- While some are celebrating the Senate's decision to no longer enforce its unwritten dress code —previously, shirts and ties for the guys, covered arms for the ladies—Republicans aren't as thrilled. "Terrible," Sen. Shelley Moore Capito of West Virginia commented on the change, per NBC...
McConnell Cleared by Doctor
as Successor Talk Heats Up
Aug 31, 2023 3:18 PM CDT
McConnell Cleared by Doctor as Successor Talk Heats Up
Senate majority leader has had two public freeze-ups
- The Capitol's attending physician has pronounced Sen. Mitch McConnell good to go and said he can carry on with his duties, a day after the minority leader froze at a microphone during an appearance in Kentucky. "I have consulted with Leader McConnell and conferred with his neurology team,...
Might Be Time
Jul 28, 2023 10:14 AM CDT
GOP Senator: Might Be Time for McConnell to Resign
McConnell's office says he will remain GOP leader at least until the next Congress
- Some Republican senators say they've observed concerning changes in Mitch McConnell's behavior since he suffered a concussion and broken rib during a fall in March. Their concerns were exacerbated Wednesday when the Senate minority leader froze for around 20 seconds during a press conference. He gave no reason...
That's a No
Apr 18, 2023 11:56 AM CDT
Senate GOP on Feinstein Replacement: That's a No
Republicans 'of all stripes' line up against replacing the absent California Democrat
- Sens. Mitch McConnell and John Fetterman got back to work on Monday after lengthy medical leaves, but Dianne Feinstein did not—and the question of whether Senate Republicans would allow a temporary replacement for her on the Judiciary Committee was quickly answered. As the Hill reports, "GOP senators of...
McConnell: 'The Entire
Nation Knows Who Is
Responsible' for Jan. 6
Dec 20, 2022 5:22 PM CST
McConnell: 'The Entire Nation Knows Who Is Responsible' for Jan. 6
Senate GOP leaders aren't rallying around Trump after recommendation for charges
- Senate Republicans haven't exactly been circling the wagons around Donald Trump since the House panel investigating the Capitol attack recommended criminal charges for the former president. Some GOP senators criticized the panel for being partisan and "obviously politicized," but they said its work was important and the...
GOP Votes Help Senate
Pass Marriage Protections
Nov 16, 2022 5:50 PM CST
GOP Votes Help Senate Pass Marriage Protections
Sponsor says some couples need protection from Supreme Court
- With support from a dozen Republicans, the Senate on Wednesday voted 62-37 to protect same-sex marriage, most particularly from the Supreme Court. The House would have to approve the bill for the second time, but the Senate vote puts the legislation on the path to President Biden's desk, Politico...
McConnell Fights Off
Nov 16, 2022 12:41 PM CST
McConnell Fights Off Leadership Challenge
Senate minority leader won 37-10 against Rick Scott
- Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell easily defeated a leadership challenge from Sen. Rick Scott Wednesday. Insiders tell Axios that McConnell won 37 votes to Scott's 10, while a motion to delay the vote introduced by Sen. Ted Cruz was defeated 32-16. McConnell, who has led Senate Republicans since 2007,...
Nov 13, 2022 8:59 AM CST
New DC Question: Is McConnell in Trouble?
Critics in Senate are grumbling about losing to Democrats, want leadership election delayed
- Soon after news broke Saturday night that Democrats had clinched control of the Senate , conservative Sen. Josh Hawley of Missouri delivered his succinct assessment: "The old party is dead," he tweeted , per Fox News . "Time to bury it. Build something new." The details of what that...
GOP Sees Harder
Fight in Taking
Back Senate, House
Sep 26, 2022 8:42 AM CDT
GOP Sees Harder Fight in Taking Back Senate, House
Republicans still projected to win House, but that number is falling, and Senate now looks precarious
- In just 43 days, Americans will decide the makeup of the Senate and House. And with President Biden's tepid poll numbers earlier this year, as well as historical precedence that often has the party in power ceding ground during the midterms, it seemed a given just a few months...
Same-Sex Marriage Vote
to Wait Till After Midterms
Sep 15, 2022 3:50 PM CDT
Same-Sex Marriage Vote to Wait Till After Midterms
Blunt suggests nervous Republicans will be more likely to vote yes later
- The Senate Democrat leading the effort to pass legislation protecting same-sex marriage plans to hold off until after the midterm elections, apparently heeding the advice of a retiring Republican. "If I wanted to pass that, and I was the majority leader and I wanted to get as many votes...
Sep 12, 2022 7:58 AM CDT
GOP Senators Slam Trump's 'Inappropriate' Pardons Remark
Graham, Romney, others blast Jan. 6 comment; Ted Cruz, Josh Hawley thread the needle
- Earlier this month, former President Trump told a conservative radio host that, if he were elected to the Oval Office again, he'd offer "full pardons," along with a public apology to many of those who'd stormed the Capitol on Jan. 6. Turns out a few GOP...
Voting 95-1, Senate Backs
Sweden, Finland Joining NATO
Aug 3, 2022 7:10 PM CDT
Voting 95-1, Senate Backs Sweden, Finland Joining NATO
McConnell had lobbied Republicans, saying a larger alliance will make US safer
- Russian aggression helped bring Republicans and Democrats together on Wednesday, as the Senate voted 95-1 to endorse letting Finland and Sweden join NATO. A two-thirds vote would have been sufficient, but Minority Leader Mitch McConnell had been lobbying his members, the
New York Times
reports. Since Russia invaded Ukraine, McConnell...
Answer on Gun Bills
May 26, 2022 7:40 PM CDT
Senate Republicans Answer on Gun Bills
'New York Times' puts answers up against lawmakers' NRA grades and donations
- At least 10 GOP senators would have to support gun control legislation for it to pass.
The New York Times
contacted all 50 Republicans to see whether they'll back two measures that the House has approved to toughen background checks for people who want to buy guns. Most of...
GOP Senators Make
Unannounced Trip to Kyiv
May 14, 2022 2:25 PM CDT
GOP Senators Make Unannounced Trip to Kyiv
Zelensky welcomes display 'of bipartisan support'
- The latest unannounced trip to Ukraine by US politicos was made Saturday by four Republican senators, including Minority Leader Mitch McConnell. President Volodymyr Zelensky welcomed the visit as "a strong signal of bipartisan support for Ukraine," the
reports. The meeting was announced Saturday by Zelensky's...
Biden Fed Nominee Withdraws
After Manchin Says No
Mar 15, 2022 6:08 PM CDT
Biden Fed Nominee Withdraws After Manchin Says No
Biden says Sarah Bloom Raskin was 'subject to baseless attacks'
: Sarah Bloom Raskin has withdrawn from consideration for a key post on the Federal Reserve's board of governors, handing Sen. Joe Manchin another win. The Democrat joined all 50 Republicans in the Senate Monday in opposition to confirming Bloom at the Fed's top banking regulator. In a...
Feb 24, 2022 4:31 PM CST
Republican Senator Plans to Retire
Jim Inhofe's decision could prompt a special election in Oklahoma in the fall
- Republican Sen. Jim Inhofe plans to announce his retirement next week, Politico reports, probably putting his seat up for grabs in a special election in the fall. The 87-year-old Oklahoman, who already had said this would be his final term in the Senate, would serve out this congressional session. If...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Pentagon: US Ships Were Attacked in Red Sea
Your Walking Speed Affects Health Benefits
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.