Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
US Navy Helicopter
Crashes Off of San Diego
Sep 1, 2021 12:02 AM CDT
US Navy Helicopter Crashes Off of San Diego
One crew member had been rescued by Tuesday night, 5 were missing
- A US Navy helicopter crashed Tuesday in the ocean off Southern California during a routine flight from an aircraft carrier, military officials said. A search and rescue operation was launched after the MH-60S helicopter crashed around 4:30pm about 60 nautical miles off San Diego, the Navy's US Pacific...
Helicopter Crash Claims Life
of French Billionaire, Politician
Mar 7, 2021 5:10 PM CST
Helicopter Crash Claims Life of French Billionaire, Politician
Olivier Dassault was 69
- Olivier Dassault, a French billionaire and conservative politician, died Sunday in a helicopter crash in Normandy, the
reports. The helicopter carrying Dassault, 69, crashed shortly after taking off from Deauville, a coastal resort. Dassault’s “brutal death is a great loss,” French President Emmanuel Macron said in...
Feds Lay Out Final Moments
in Kobe Bryant Crash
Feb 9, 2021 10:09 AM CST
Feds Lay Out Final Moments in Kobe Bryant Crash
NTSB says pilot apparently became disoriented in clouds before crashing
- US safety investigators said Tuesday the pilot of Kobe Bryant's helicopter flew through the clouds last year in an apparent violation of federal standards, likely becoming disoriented just before the helicopter crashed and killed Bryant and eight others, per the AP . Pilot Ara Zobayan was flying under visual flight...
6 Americans Dead After
Black Hawk Crashes in Egypt
Nov 12, 2020 11:05 AM CST
6 Americans Dead After Black Hawk Crashes in Egypt
Helicopter went down during routine peacekeeping mission near the Red Sea: MFO
- Eight peacekeepers, including six Americans, were killed in a helicopter crash during a routine mission in Egypt's Sinai Peninsula, the international force that monitors the Israeli-Egyptian peace agreement said Thursday. A ninth peacekeeper, also American, was badly injured, per the AP . The Multinational Force and Observers said a French...
Feds Find 'Telltale Signs'
in Kobe Helicopter Crash
Jun 18, 2020 1:00 AM CDT
Feds Find 'Telltale Signs' in Kobe Helicopter Crash
The pilot may have 'misperceived' the angles
- The pilot of the helicopter that crashed in thick fog, killing Kobe Bryant and seven other passengers, reported he was climbing when he actually was heading for the ground, federal investigators said in documents released Wednesday, per the AP . Ara Zobayan radioed to air traffic controllers that he was climbing...
at Kobe Pilot's
System for Clues
May 16, 2020 9:30 AM CDT
Autopsy Looks at Kobe Pilot's System for Clues
The official report also gives cause of death for all 9 passengers
- The pilot flying Kobe Bryant and seven others to a youth basketball tournament did not have alcohol or drugs in his system, and all nine sustained immediately fatal injuries when their helicopter slammed into a hillside outside Los Angeles in January, according to autopsies released Friday. The reports by the...
Brother of Pilot Flying Kobe's
Copter: It Was Kobe, Gigi's Fault
May 12, 2020 6:26 AM CDT
Brother of Pilot Flying Kobe's Copter: It Was Kobe, Gigi's Fault
Berge Zobayan says passengers on brother Ara Zobayan's chopper knew the risks, were negligent
- More than one lawsuit has been filed in the case of the Kobe Bryant helicopter crash, but it's his widow's wrongful death complaint that has the brother of the pilot pushing back. CNN reports that on Friday, Berge Zobayan filed a seven-page response to Vanessa Bryant's suit,...
Police Helicopter Crashes
Into Apartment Complex
May 2, 2020 12:30 PM CDT
Police Helicopter Crashes Into Apartment Complex
Police say it was triggered by 'probably a bogus call'
- Officials say a Houston police helicopter crashed early Saturday, killing one of the two officers on board and critically injuring the other, the AP reports. A pilot and tactical flight officer were aboard a police helicopter when it crashed at an apartment complex around 2am. They were flown to a...
Sheriff Says 8 Deputies Shared
Gruesome Kobe Crash Photos
Mar 3, 2020 3:48 AM CST
Sheriff Says 8 Deputies Shared Gruesome Kobe Crash Photos
They were ordered to delete photos
- Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva says he felt a "sense of betrayal" when he found out that as many as eight deputies allegedly took and shared graphic photos of the helicopter crash that killed Kobe Bryant and eight others. The sheriff tells CNN that the only people authorized...
Not Happy About
Mar 2, 2020 12:00 PM CST
Kobe's Widow Not Happy About Allegations on Crash Site
Vanessa Bryant 'absolutely devastated' pictures may have been shared of victims' remains
- An investigation is ongoing into allegations that deputies from the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department leaked graphic photos of the site of the Kobe Bryant helicopter crash, including images that showed the victims' remains. Bryant's widow, Vanessa, is "absolutely devastated" by that claim, her lawyer says. "...
Report: Cops Shared
Graphic Photos of
Kobe Crash Scene
Feb 28, 2020 4:42 AM CST
Report: Cops Shared Graphic Photos of Kobe Crash Scene
Sheriff's department is investigating allegations
- The Los Angeles County Sheriff's department says it is investigating allegations that deputies leaked graphic photos of the helicopter crash that killed NBA legend Kobe Bryant and eight others last month. Sources tell the
Los Angeles Times
that days after the crash, first responders discussed the inappropriate sharing of...
NTSB: Helicopter Rotors Were
Turning When Bryant Crashed
Feb 7, 2020 2:45 PM CST
NTSB: Helicopter Rotors Were Turning When Bryant Crashed
Investigators see no signs of engine failure
- Wreckage from the helicopter that crashed last month and killed Kobe Bryant, his daughter and seven others did not show any evidence of outward engine failure, the National Transportation Safety Board said Friday. Bryant, his 13-year-old daughter Gianna, and the others died in the Jan. 26 crash in Calabasas, California....
How a Helicopter
Feb 6, 2020 10:45 AM CST
How a Helicopter Crash Changed Kirk Douglas
'From this day forward I would be asking ... Why was I alive?'
- Not even two weeks after a helicopter crash killed an NBA legend , news outlets are revisiting a 1991 helicopter crash that nearly killed a legendary actor. Kirk Douglas, who died Wednesday at age 103, said his life was forever changed when the helicopter he was traveling in collided with an...
Kobe's Pilot Wasn't Allowed
to Navigate With Instruments
Jan 31, 2020 6:39 AM CST
Kobe's Pilot Wasn't Allowed to Navigate With Instruments
At least not when flying with Island Express Helicopters
- The helicopter that crashed with Kobe Bryant and 8 others aboard wasn't certified to fly under instrument flight rules, three sources tell the
New York Times
. While pilot Ara Zobayan did have the proper certification to fly with instruments typically used in poor conditions, Island Express Helicopters' FAA operating...
Vanessa Bryant Breaks
Silence With Instagram Post
Jan 30, 2020 2:24 AM CST
Vanessa Bryant Breaks Silence With Instagram Post
'There aren't enough words to describe our pain right now'
- "There aren't enough words to describe our pain right now," Vanessa Bryant said in her first public remarks since the helicopter crash that killed husband Kobe Bryant and their 13-year-old daughter Gianna Sunday. In an Instagram post , Bryant said she and her surviving three daughters want to...
for the First Time
Jan 29, 2020 6:00 PM CST
Kobe's Widow Publicly Responds for the First Time
And drone footage shows devastating wreckage of the crash
- Kobe Bryant's widow has issued her first public acknowledgement of his death without saying a word. Vanessa Bryant posted a new profile photo Wednesday on her Instagram account—of Kobe embracing their 13-year-old daughter Gianna, who also died in a helicopter crash in the Los Angeles area Sunday morning,...
NTSB Shares What
It Knows About
Kobe Bryant's Crash
Jan 29, 2020 6:56 AM CST
NTSB Shares What It Knows About Kobe Bryant's Crash
NTSB describes it as a 'high energy impact crash'
- The helicopter that Kobe Bryant and eight others were in on Sunday came very close to clearing a California hillside, the National Transportation Safety Board said on Tuesday, missing the top by just 20 to 30 feet. The
New York Times
reports the helicopter had reached 2,300 feet before...
Kobe's Pilot Asked Controllers
to Track Him. He Was Too Low
Jan 28, 2020 2:34 PM CST
Kobe's Pilot Asked Controllers to Track Him. He Was Too Low
Helicopter wasn't showing up on radar, causing pilot to begin a rapid ascent
- The pilot of Kobe Bryant's helicopter told air traffic control he was climbing higher to avoid a layer of clouds. It was the last communication from Ara Zobayan before the chopper crashed into a hillside in Calabasas, Calif., says Jennifer Homendy of the National Transportation Safety Board, per CNN...
Never Fly on
Jan 28, 2020 7:01 AM CST
Bryant Would Never Fly on Helicopter With Wife: Source
He 'had a deal' with Vanessa, source says
- Kobe Bryant's three surviving children have lost their father—but insiders say the basketball superstar tried to make sure they would never be orphaned. Sources tell
that Bryant, who frequently used helicopters to get around, would not fly in one with wife Vanessa. "He and Vanessa had...
Kobe's Pilot Got
Jan 27, 2020 4:00 PM CST
Kobe's Pilot Got Special Clearance to Fly
Fog was so bad, police copters were grounded at the time
- It was foggy when the helicopter carrying Kobe Bryant, his daughter, and seven others crashed into a hillside just outside Los Angeles—so foggy that police helicopters had been grounded at the time . And CNN now reports that Bryant's pilot had actually gotten special clearance to fly. Specifically,...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Law Would Jail Parents Whose Children Aren't Vaccinated
She's Expected to Be a Senator in 2 Days
Married Couple Killed by Grizzly Bear in Banff
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
Her Plea Deal Stated She'd Serve 8 Years. She'll Do More
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.