Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Nov 27, 2023 2:51 PM CST
These Are the Most Sinful Cities in America
Las Vegas ranks No. 1 on WalletHub's list, while Pearl City, Hawaii, proves most virtuous
- Christian teachings have long warned against the seven deadly sins, yet since the beginning of time, humans just can't seem to lick their related vices. WalletHub wanted to see which US cities are rife with people acting "illicitly," so it examined more than 180 of the largest...
Army Aims to Rectify 'Largest
Mass Execution' in Its History
Nov 14, 2023 10:55 AM CST
Army Aims to Rectify 'Largest Mass Execution' in Its History
More than a century later, soldier convictions related to the 1917 Houston riots are overturned
- It was, as the
reports, "the largest mass execution carried out in the history of the US Army." On Dec. 11, 1917, 13 Buffalo Soldiers were hanged in a military camp near Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio, Texas. The African American cavalry soldiers of the...
Drags Cop to Safety
Nov 14, 2023 2:00 AM CST
Good Samaritan Drags Cop to Safety During Shootout
Man comforted officer, who'd been shot in the leg, until help arrived
- A Houston man is being hailed as a hero after pulling a police officer to safety after the officer was shot amid a shootout on a freeway Saturday morning. The situation started when a man carjacked a vehicle Friday; the following day, police spotted the stolen car on the highway...
Ex-NFL Player, Who Cheated
Death Once, Killed in Crash
Nov 12, 2023 6:54 AM CST
Ex-NFL Player, Who Cheated Death Once, Killed in Crash
DJ Hayden is among 6 people killed in car collision in Houston
- A crash at a red light killed six people in downtown Houston early Saturday, including former NFL cornerback DJ Hayden and two of his former teammates at the University of Houston, per the AP and the
. The two-vehicle crash occurred about 2am when a Chrysler 300, apparently "...
NFL to UH: You Can't Wear
Oct 31, 2023 3:30 AM CDT
NFL to UH: You Can't Wear Those Uniforms
League sends cease-and-desist to university over throwback uniforms
- The NFL says the University of Houston's new football uniforms are a no-go. UH unveiled the uniforms during its home opener on September 2. They feature a throwback design inspired by the Houston Oilers, founded as an AFL team in the city in 1959 before ultimately joining the NFL...
NTSB Says 2 Jets Collided
at Houston Airport
Oct 26, 2023 7:21 AM CDT
NTSB Says 2 Jets Collided at Houston Airport
Nobody was injured in Tuesday incident
- Hours before Michael Whitaker was confirmed by the Senate as the new Federal Aviation Administration chief on Tuesday, two private jets collided at a Houston airport. The FAA says a Hawker 850XP took off without permission at William Hobby Airport, colliding with a Cessna Citation coming in to land on...
Rival for Release of
Oct 24, 2023 5:20 PM CDT
Lawmaker Blames Rival for Release of Profanity-Laced Recording
Houston mayoral candidate expresses regret, but doesn't confirm she is woman on tape
- US Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, who is running to be Houston's next mayor, expressed regret and said that "everyone deserves to be treated with dignity and respect" following the release of an unverified audio recording purported to be of the longtime Democratic lawmaker berating staff members with a...
Pastor Ordered to Pay
$2.45M in Herpes Case
Oct 13, 2023 9:56 AM CDT
Pastor Ordered to Pay $2.45M in Herpes Case
Jury found Texas megachurch pastor liable for giving woman genital herpes
- A pastor at a Houston megachurch was spreading more than the good word, a jury determined. The Rev. Ralph D. West II was ordered to pay $2.45 million to a woman who said he infected her with genital herpes, KPRC reports. After a three-day trial, the jury found the...
He's the Last Unidentified
Victim of the 'Candy Man'
Aug 8, 2023 10:25 AM CDT
He's the Last Unidentified Victim of the 'Candy Man'
New sketch may help identify teen killed 50 years ago in Houston
- A newly released sketch may close the final chapter on a notorious serial killer who preyed on teen boys in Houston 50 years ago. The National Center for Missing & Exploited Children unveiled a sketch of the last unidentified victim of Dean Corll, who came to be known as the...
'Sticky Note Bandit'
Strikes a 4th Time in 2 Weeks
Jul 19, 2023 1:45 PM CDT
'Sticky Note Bandit' Strikes a 4th Time in 2 Weeks
Houston suspect left latest bank robbery without cash, police say
- The FBI says the "Sticky Note Bandit" attempted his fourth bank robbery Tuesday, but he didn't get away with any cash. Police say the suspect walked into a Bank of America branch in Houston and, as in other robberies, handed a teller a sticky note with a threatening...
In Houston Suburb,
a 'Very, Very Evil, Evil Thing'
Jul 18, 2023 1:48 PM CDT
In Houston Suburb, a 'Very, Very Evil, Evil Thing'
Couple accused of kidnapping teen, holding her captive for a month
- An 18-year-old woman was sexually abused over the course of a month while held against her will in a Texas neighborhood before escaping her restraints and running for help, according to police. A resident of the Houston suburb of Humble tells KHOU that a "shaking" barefoot woman showed up...
Rudy Farias Says Mom
'Brainwashed' Him for 8 Years
Jul 13, 2023 7:29 AM CDT
Rudy Farias Says Mom 'Brainwashed' Him for 8 Years
But 'missing' Houston man denies reports he was sexually assaulted
- Rudy Farias says he felt like he was "brainwashed" by his mother to go along with her lies for eight years. Police in Houston say Farias, then 17, returned home one day after he was reported missing in 2015 but mother Janie Santana continued to insist he was missing...
Police Back Up Neighbors,
Say Teen Never Was Missing
Jul 6, 2023 4:40 PM CDT
Police Back Up Neighbors, Say Teen Never Was Missing
Rudy Farias and his mother are not being charged over eight-year search
- Rudy Farias, who was reported missing eight years ago and said to have been found safe last weekend, indeed was unaccounted for in 2015—for one day, Houston police said Thursday. Officers said at a news conference that Farias, who was then 17, returned home the day after his family...
Case of Missing Houston Man
Takes a Disturbing Turn
Jul 6, 2023 7:26 AM CDT
Case of Missing Houston Man Takes a Disturbing Turn
Activist says mother drugged, abused Rudy Farias
- With questions continuing to swirl around the case of Rudy Farias, the Houston man who was found outside a church eight years after he was reported missing, community activist Quanell X made some very disturbing allegations Wednesday. The activist said the 25-year-old, who was reported missing by his mother in...
Protections for Police Dog
in Patrol Car Fail—Fatally
Jun 14, 2023 11:28 AM CDT
Protections for Police Dog in Patrol Car Fail—Fatally
Houston police say air-conditioned vehicle shut off without warning, killing K9 Aron
- A police dog in Texas died in a "tragic accident" Monday as the air-conditioned patrol car the 4-year-old was housed in unexpectedly lost power. The handler of the Houston Police Department dog named Aron had left him in a "running, air-conditioned patrol vehicle, which is a necessary and...
6 Shot in Parking Lot
Near Houston Club
Jun 11, 2023 10:10 AM CDT
6 Shot in Parking Lot Near Houston Club
Dispute from inside venue apparently carried outside; one victim was seriously wounded
- Police in Houston say six people were shot and injured after someone opened fire in a crowded parking lot outside of a club in Houston early Sunday. Police Chief Troy Finner said officers found six people shot following a disturbance inside the club that spilled out into the parking lot,...
Guy Charged With Taking Break
From a Date to Kill a Man
Apr 28, 2023 11:13 AM CDT
Guy Charged With Taking Break From a Date to Kill a Man
Erick Aguirre allegedly shot and killed a fake parking attendant in Houston
- A woman told Houston police that she went on a date with a guy, only to find out later that he committed murder when he left for a short time, according to a criminal complaint. Erick Aguirre, 29, is accused of fatally shooting a man who was posing as a...
Taylor Swift Fans
Make $13 Donations
After Man's Death
Apr 26, 2023 2:41 PM CDT
Taylor Swift Fans Make $13 Donations After Man's Death
Jacob Lewis was struck by allegedly drunk driver after leaving Swift's Houston concert
- A Houston man is facing a felony murder charge after he allegedly struck and killed a man who'd just left a Taylor Swift concert. Jacob Lewis, 20, and his 26-year-old sister departed Houston's NRG Stadium early Saturday only to have their vehicle break down on the Southwest Freeway....
State Takes Over Country's
8th-Largest School District
Mar 15, 2023 7:05 PM CDT
State Takes Over Country's 8th-Largest School District
Democrats slam Texas takeover of Houston schools as politically motivated
- Texas officials on Wednesday announced a state takeover of Houston's nearly 200,000-student public school district, the eighth-largest in the country, acting on years of threats and angering Democrats who assailed the move as political. The announcement, made by Republican Gov. Greg Abbott's education commissioner, Mike Morath, amounts...
Cops: 3-Year-Old Girl
Fatally Shot Sister, 4
Mar 13, 2023 3:28 PM CDT
Cops: 3-Year-Old Girl Fatally Shot Sister, 4
Houston girls were playing unsupervised, sheriff says
- "Our hearts are broken," Harris County Sheriff Ed Gonzalez said after a 4-year-old girl was fatally shot in a Houston apartment Sunday. The sheriff said that in a "tragic" and "very preventable situation," the girl was apparently shot by her 3-year-old sister while they were...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
A 'Shocking' Find on Trading Ahead of Hamas' Oct. 7 Attack
Fetterman Forks Over $343.20 for a Santos Troll Video
Mackenzie Phillips: I Forgave Dad for Me, Not Him
Canadian Entrepreneur, Philanthropist Found Dead With His Partner
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.