Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
This Is the Most
Giving State in America
Nov 12, 2022 10:00 AM CST
This Is the Most Giving State in America
Congrats to Utah, according to WalletHub's ranking of the most, least charitable states
- If you're in a position to be philanthropic, whether that means donating your money or your time, where you live can make a difference in terms of enthusiasm from fellow locals—which in turn might inspire even more of your own altruism. WalletHub looked at 19 metrics across all...
This Is the Happiest
State in America
Sep 20, 2022 11:26 AM CDT
This Is the Happiest State in America
Hawaii tops WalletHub's list; West Virginia lands at the bottom
- Happiness is said to be a state of mind—but what state you're in could affect that state. WalletHub wanted to find out where people in the US are at their most content, especially in the wake of the worst of the pandemic and amid new stressors like inflation....
This Is the
Aug 27, 2022 10:00 AM CDT
This Is the Best State for Women's Equality
New Mexico takes No. 1 spot in WalletHub's rankings; Utah is last
- Women's Equality Day was celebrated in the US on Friday, commemorating the 1920 adoption of the 19th Amendment, which gave women the right to vote. There's been significant progress in terms of women's equality since, but the scales still aren't completely balanced, and some states are...
Three Friends Hit All 50
States in Five Days
Aug 16, 2022 11:28 AM CDT
Three Friends Hit All 50 States in Five Days
Austin trio claims the fastest time to date
- Three friends in Austin can boast that they've visited all 50 states—and they have their names in the record book to prove it. The trio of Peter McConville, Pavel (Pasha) Krechetov, and Abdullahi Salah started in Vermont on May 13 and ended in Hawaii exactly five days, 13...
This Is the Best
State to Live In
Aug 15, 2022 12:00 PM CDT
This Is the Best State to Live In
Massachusetts tops WalletHub's list, while Mississippi comes in last
- There's no one perfect state in the US to live in, but you can likely find the perfect state for
. WalletHub looked at all 50 of them, examining more than four dozen metrics in five main categories:
, including home prices, taxes, and cost of living;
Here Are the Best, Worst
States to Have a Kid
Aug 9, 2022 9:35 AM CDT
Here Are the Best, Worst States to Have a Kid
Massachusetts is the No. 1 state, in WalletHub's assessment; Alabama comes in last
- If you're thinking of starting a family, or want to expand the one you have, there are some US states that may be better than others, from the birthing process onward. WalletHub looked at nearly three dozen metrics for all 50 states and DC, in four main categories: cost,...
Vote Suggests Strong Support
for Abortion Rights Nationwide
Aug 4, 2022 11:33 AM CDT
Vote Suggests Strong Support for Abortion Rights Nationwide
'NYT' analysis says Kansas vote likely would have gone the same way in all but 7 states
- Most analysts expected a narrow victory at best for abortion rights supporters in a vote in Kansas on Tuesday. Instead, they had an overwhelming win in the conservative state, which has energized the movement and upended predictions about this year's midterm elections. A ballot measure that would have removed...
Ranks No. 1
Aug 1, 2022 12:35 PM CDT
This State's Health Care Ranks No. 1
Rhode Island tops WalletHub's list; Mississippi comes in last
- The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services estimates that the average American spends more than $12,000 annually on health care—and that's not even counting the costs incurred by COVID. That's why it's beneficial, if possible, to set down roots in a place where you can...
The Business Climate
Is Tops in This State
Jul 15, 2022 11:37 AM CDT
The Business Climate Is Tops in This State
North Carolina comes out on top in CNBC survey of best, worst US states for business
- Looking to close a deal? Conducting business and staying competitive can prove a challenging endeavor, but in some states, the business world is booming. CNBC has released its 15th annual "America's Top States for Business" survey to help point movers and shakers in the right direction. It scores...
Love Beer? This Is
the State for You
Jul 9, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Love Beer? This Is the State for You
Vermont is a 'true beer lover's paradise,' according to VinePair
- Previous evaluations from Beer Connoisseur and Groupon named California the best state in the country when it comes to beer. Not even close, according to VinePair , which finds America's "true beer lover's paradise" is just about as far from California as you can get while remaining in...
Biden's Warning on Abortion:
'People Are Gonna Be Shocked'
Jul 2, 2022 7:00 AM CDT
Biden's Warning on Abortion: 'People Are Gonna Be Shocked'
President anticipates some states may try to arrest women trying to access procedure in other states
- President Biden met virtually Friday with Democratic state governors to discuss abortion rights, and he offered an ominous prediction on what he sees happening in the wake of last week's overturning of Roe v. Wade by the Supreme Court. Reuters notes that, as a result of that ruling, women...
Supreme Court Puts a Big Case
on Next Term's Docket
Jun 30, 2022 2:18 PM CDT
Supreme Court Puts a Big Case on Next Term's Docket
It could profoundly affect federal elections
- The Supreme Court's monumental term is over, and the one that begins in October just had a potentially big case added to the docket. The
New York Times
describe it in strikingly similar terms: The court "will consider what would be a radical change...
Missouri Moves Fast
to Outlaw Abortion
Jun 24, 2022 10:40 AM CDT
Missouri Moves Fast to Outlaw Abortion
After Supreme Court's Roe decision, focus turns to the states
- The Supreme Court's landmark decision to overturn Roe v. Wade is expected to lead to abortion bans in about half the states. But how quickly those bans kick in varies across the country. A number of states have "trigger laws" that were activated by Friday's Supreme Court...
Millennials, You May Want
to Head to This State
May 25, 2022 5:20 PM CDT
Millennials, You May Want to Head to This State
Washington ranks first in WalletHub's rankings for most appealing places for the 26-41 set
- Whether you call them Generation Y or millennials, the group wedged between Generation X and Generation Z—ie, those born between 1981 and 1996 —has its own particular wants and needs when looking for a place to settle down. WalletHub wanted to figure out the most appealing states for...
Here Are the
10 Best States
for Remote Workers
Apr 5, 2022 4:32 PM CDT
Here Are the 10 Best States for Remote Workers
The Garden State tops WalletHub's list
- During the pandemic, much of America got a taste of what it's like to be a full-time telecommuter. Now that many businesses have started to open back up, a good number of them are allowing workers to remain remote. To see which states are most conducive to this type...
This Is the
State in America
Mar 28, 2022 11:20 AM CDT
This Is the Most Stressed State in America
Louisiana is one big stress ball, according to latest WalletHub rankings
- To say we've collectively and individually been stressed over the past two years is probably an understatement, but the stress levels are higher in some parts of the US than others. WalletHub looked at all 50 states, examining more than three dozen metrics in four categories: stress related to...
Ladies, You Might
Want to Move Here
Feb 28, 2022 9:15 AM CST
Ladies, You Might Want to Move Here
WalletHub ranks the best, worst states for women, with Massachusetts coming out on top
- Whether it's the job market or political representation in DC, women often seem to come up with "the short end of the stick," notes WalletHub , which decided to figure out which parts of the country might offer the best opportunities for women. The personal finance site looked...
This State Is
Feb 14, 2022 10:50 AM CST
This State Is America's Smartest
Massachusetts is most educated, per WalletHub ranking; West Virginia is least
- Schools have taken a big hit during the pandemic, with continual disruptions to in-person learning in elementary and secondary schools and colleges across the nation. Still, as WalletHub notes, "amid these struggles, some states are able to provide safe, quality education more than others." To find out which...
Here Are the 10 States
People Are Fleeing
Jan 25, 2022 3:31 PM CST
Here Are the 10 States People Are Fleeing
Residents are especially saying so long to New Jersey
- Over the past year, people in the US made some major life changes—including moving out of state. Whether it was to be closer to family during the pandemic or simply a desire for a life in a less-dense area, plenty of Americans made mini-migrations across state lines. United Van...
This Is the Best
State for Retirees
Jan 24, 2022 1:41 PM CST
This Is the Best State for Retirees
Surprise! Florida comes in at No. 1 in WalletHub rankings
- Figuring out what to do once you retire can be a challenge, including where you put down roots to ride out your golden years. WalletHub looked at nearly four dozen metrics across all 50 states, in three main categories: affordability, which looks at everything from the cost of living and...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Merriam-Webster Chooses Its Word of the Year
Iran, US Soccer Now Have Bad Blood Over Altered Flag
Court Sides With Man Fired for Avoiding Workplace 'Fun'
Cops: 'Catfishing' Leads to Triple Homicide
Odell Beckham Jr. Escorted Off Flight
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.