Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Cops Hear Weird Siren,
Arrest Phony US Marshal
Aug 7, 2023 4:27 PM CDT
Cops Hear Weird Siren, Arrest Phony US Marshal
Florida man claimed he was investigating shootings
- A man accused of impersonating a law enforcement officer was wearing a hat that said "Police US Marshal," police in Florida say, but it didn't take a real Marshal more than a few seconds to determine he wasn't the real deal. The Marion County Sheriff's...
Fake Priest Just
Cost It $140K
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jun 24, 2023 4:15 PM CDT
Restaurant's Fake Priest Just Cost It $140K
California eatery had workers confess their 'sins' in 'most shameless' plot to intimidate them, per DOL
- It may have seemed a bit unconventional for a priest to show up at their place of employment to offer confession, but workers at the Taqueria Garibaldi restaurant in Sacramento took the holy man up on the chance to admit their "sins." Now, the owners of the Northern...
Lawyers: We Know
Phony High Schooler's
Case Is 'Very Bizarre'
Mar 21, 2023 8:28 AM CDT
Lawyers: We Know Phony High Schooler's Case Is 'Very Bizarre'
Attorneys for Hyejeong Shin say she faked her way in to New Jersey high school due to loneliness
- At age 16, Hyejeong Shin came to the United States from South Korea and attended boarding school in Massachusetts. In 2019, she graduated from Rutgers with a degree in political science and Chinese, got married, and set up her home in a high-rise not far from the New Jersey university....
Jan 31, 2023 4:06 PM CST
Assistant Coach Fired After Impersonating Player, 13
'I was just shocked,' says the girl's father in Portsmouth, Virginia
- An assistant coach for a JV girls' basketball team in Virginia is now a
assistant coach after displaying some seriously odd judgment. Arlisha Boykins, 22, pretended to be a 13-year-old and played in a game for Churchland High School in Portsmouth, Virginia, reports WAVY 10 . (See video here .)...
in DC Home:
Dec 16, 2022 10:59 AM CST
Armed Robbers in DC Home: Don't Worry, We're FBI
They weren't, Metropolitan PD says of 4 suspects in tactical gear who fled in stolen silver Audi
- The occupants of a DC home had a frightening Wednesday morning after an armed robbery by a group claiming to be FBI agents. The Metropolitan Police Department says that four suspects decked out in tactical gear used flashlights and a crowbar in the predawn hours to enter the home, where...
'Out of Control'
Nov 30, 2022 12:05 PM CST
'Out of Control' Cop Impersonator Arrested Again
Jeremy Dewitte, nabbed for probation violation, blames YouTube hack for latest woes
- A registered sex offender accused of impersonating police officers at least five times in Florida has been arrested again just three months after his release from state prison. Jeremy Dewitte, arrested for a probation violation on a warrant out of Orange County, is also accused of probation violation and refusing...
Don't Do This
Apr 13, 2022 7:32 AM CDT
Really Want an Audi? Don't Do This
Randy Cantwell arrested for impersonating federal marshal, trying to steal car in Tulsa, Okla.
- A man in Oklahoma apparently had his heart set on an Audi, but his alleged scheme to acquire one didn't work out the way it was supposed to. KTUL reports that Randy Cantwell was arrested in Tulsa after police say he showed up at a car dealership in Tulsa,...
Cops Say Fake Nurse
Worked at Hospital for a Year
in case you missed it
Nov 28, 2021 1:30 PM CST
Cops Say Fake Nurse Worked at Hospital for a Year
Canadian woman Brigitte Cleroux has a long history of similar offenses
- Authorities in Canada say Brigitte Cleroux appears to have had a long career working as a nurse at numerous hospitals and clinics—which is a big problem, because she isn't a nurse. Police say the 49-year-old used the name of a real nurse to get a job at BC...
Cops: Guy Impersonated
Cop, Swiped Doughnut
Jan 20, 2021 8:31 AM CST
Cops: Guy Impersonated Cop, Swiped Doughnut
Daniel Mark Wright is accused of impersonating sheriff's deputy, stealing a 7-Eleven baked good
- People have pretended they're law enforcement officers to pull people over , to make arrests , and yes, to get discounts on coffee and doughnuts . But authorities say a Utah man who impersonated a cop felt even more entitled, going so far as to steal a doughnut from 7-Eleven. Per a...
Guy Arrested on Same Odd
Charge Twice in One Week
Mar 19, 2020 5:02 PM CDT
Guy Arrested on Same Odd Charge Twice in One Week
Florida's LeRoy Stotelmyer accused of impersonating a law officer
- Hand it to LeRoy Stotelmyer, he doesn't give up. The Florida man was arrested Friday for allegedly impersonating a law officer only days after being arrested on the very same charge, the
reports. The 60-year-old's latest alleged offense: impersonating an officer to avoid paying a $2...
Scammers Called Up People
for Money and Got $50M
Mar 11, 2020 7:00 PM CDT
Scammers Called Up People for Money and Got $50M
Looks like Gilbert Chikli, 54, and Anthony Lasarevitsch, 35, are going to prison
- Six guys scammed people out of $50 million—by calling them and asking for it, the
New York Times
reports. A French court found them all guilty Wednesday of an elaborate scheme to defraud wealthy political, religious, and business figures. It seems Gilbert Chikli, 54, and Anthony Lasarevitsch, 35, masterminded...
AG: Fake Pharmacist Doled
Out 750K Prescriptions
Jul 31, 2019 8:39 AM CDT
AG: Fake Pharmacist Doled Out 750K Prescriptions
For over 10 years, Kim Thien Le worked as Bay Area pharmacist without license: Xavier Becerra
- For more than 10 years, Kim Thien Le handed out scads of prescriptions as a pharmacist at a handful of Walgreens stores in the Bay Area—nearly 750,000 scripts when all was said and done, California Attorney General Xavier Becerra noted Tuesday. The problem, per the AG's statement:...
Hope, Then Devastation: Details
Emerge on Missing Boy Hoax
Apr 5, 2019 1:30 PM CDT
Hope, Then Devastation: Details Emerge on Missing Boy Hoax
Investigators: Brian Rini says he learned about Timmothy Pitzen, who vanished in 2011, from TV
- An "astounding" story turned into a crushing blow for the family of a missing Illinois boy, and now there are a slew of questions surrounding the man who prosecutors say impersonated him. A young man turned up in the streets of Newport, Ky., on Wednesday, claiming to be Timmothy...
Leaked Audio Won't Put Aussie
PM in Trump's Good Graces
Jun 15, 2017 1:42 PM CDT
Leaked Audio Won't Put Aussie PM in Trump's Good Graces
Malcolm Turnbull mimics the president
- Malcolm Turnbull should probably expect another heated phone call with President Trump. During what was supposed to be an off-the-record speech Wednesday at the Australian Parliament's Midwinter Ball—comparable to the White House Correspondents Dinner in the US—the Australian prime minister put on his best Trump impression, mimicking...
Woman Dresses Up
Like Old Lady to
Take Mom's Driving Test
Jun 14, 2016 4:04 PM CDT
Woman Dresses Up Like Old Lady to Take Mom's Driving Test
But at least she knows she can't pass for 73
- An instructor in Ontario was supposed to be giving a driving test to a 73-year-old woman last Thursday, CBC reports. But the woman who showed up that day looked quite a bit younger. The woman was wearing glasses, a wig, and "clothing suited to an older person." The...
Cops: Guy Posed as
Senator to Avoid
May 19, 2016 1:29 PM CDT
Cops: Guy Posed as Senator to Avoid Paying Loan
Sidney Hines' alleged scheme didn't work
- A man's alleged scheme to make officials forget about his outstanding loan not only failed, but could put him behind bars for up to 15 years. Police say Sidney Hines, 67, received a federal HomeSaver Advance loan for about $6,000 in 2008 on his home in New Port...
as 'Fake' Soldier
in Viral Video
Dec 2, 2014 5:40 PM CST
Shopper 'Outed' as 'Fake' Soldier in Viral Video
Philadelphia man peppered with questions about his uniform
- An ugly encounter between a decorated US military veteran and a guy wearing camouflage fatigues has spawned a viral video—and may lead to federal charges, the
reports. Ryan Berk, a Purple Heart recipient who served with the 101st Airborne Division in Afghanistan, noticed the shopper wearing fatigues...
Feds Used Woman's
Identity for Fake
Oct 7, 2014 12:58 PM CDT
Feds Used Woman's Identity for Fake Facebook Profile
Posted compromising pictures of Sondra Arquiett
- A DEA agent used a woman's identity—along with private pictures from her phone—to create a fake Facebook profile without her knowledge, BuzzFeed reports. The government is defending the agent's actions in the scheme to connect with potential criminal targets. In a court filing, officials say special...
French Guy Poses as Pilot, Makes It to Cockpit
Mar 22, 2013 8:07 AM CDT
French Guy Poses as Pilot, Makes It to Cockpit
Based solely on his ... Air France T-shirt?
- Apparently Philippe Jernnard thought that donning an Air France shirt and a leather jacket with epaulets on its shoulders would be enough to let him pass as a pilot. Alas, it was not, but it
get him all the way to the cockpit of a US Airways flight before...
Te'o Spent Hours
on Phone With
Jan 24, 2013 10:48 AM CST
Te'o Spent Hours on Phone With Guy Playing His 'Girlfriend'
Ronaiah Tuiasosopo's lawyer says he affected a female voice
- You probably didn't think this was possible, but the Manti Te'o story just got even weirder. A source close to Te'o has given ESPN phone records that appear to indicate that Te'o did indeed spend hours on the phone with someone he thought was Lennay Kekua—...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Another of Italy's 'Leaning' Towers May Be in Trouble
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
Doritos Caters to Gamers With Crunch-Silencing App
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.