Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Delaware Man Has Unusual
Luck With Maryland Lottery
Aug 13, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Delaware Man Has Unusual Luck With Maryland Lottery
Duane Ketterman, who travels for work, has racked up $50K from 2 separate winnings in 5 weeks
- It was Duane Ketterman's lucky day—and then it was his lucky day again, just five weeks later. CNN reports that the man from Millsboro, Del., won the lottery in neighboring Maryland not once but twice in about a month's time, taking home nearly $50,000 in the...
Man's Fortune Cookie Pays
Off Bigger Than Anticipated
Feb 2, 2022 10:25 AM CST
Man's Fortune Cookie Pays Off Bigger Than Anticipated
NC's Gabriel Fierro used numbers inside cookie to play Mega Millions, won $4M
- Some fortune cookies predict good fortune. Others apparently directly deliver it. That was the case for North Carolina's Gabriel Fierro, who won a $4 million Mega Millions prize after playing the numbers he found inside a fortune cookie, WSLS reports. Per the North Carolina Education Lottery , Fierro—a 60-year-old...
Tossing Coins for Good Luck
Has Unfortunate Side Effect
Mar 6, 2017 8:51 AM CST
Tossing Coins for Good Luck Has Unfortunate Side Effect
A sea turtle ended up with an 11-pound ball of coins in her stomach
- Tossing coins in a fountain for luck is a popular superstition, but a similar belief brought misery to a sea turtle in Thailand from whom doctors have removed 915 coins. Veterinarians in Bangkok operated Monday on the 25-year-old female green sea turtle nicknamed "Bank," whose indigestible diet was...
Guy Wins $1K
Dec 3, 2015 8:41 AM CST
Guy Wins $1K —Then $10M Moments Later
Rodney Meadows 'let it ride'
- We've heard of having a lucky day, but this is ridiculous. A man running errands Nov. 23 in Modesto, Calif., bought a $30 scratch-off ticket at the local Fast Mart and won $1,000, KCRA reports. Then things got even better. According to the
Los Angeles Times
, Rodney Meadows...
Hugely Popular App
Lets You Tap a Cactus
Nov 4, 2015 8:19 AM CST
Hugely Popular App Lets You Tap a Cactus
'Money, love, power, whatever you want—tap it'
- A $10 app has become so popular it's now ranked among the top 10 paid entertainment apps on iTunes, reports FeedsWatcher , and it consists of nothing more than an image of a cactus that, when tapped, emits emojis—a dollar sign, leaf, tongue, briefcase, etc. The folks at Blimps...
Lottery Luck Strikes Twice
for Maryland Truck Driver
Dec 30, 2014 11:24 AM CST
Lottery Luck Strikes Twice for Maryland Truck Driver
39-year-old dad won $250K in 2005
- A Maryland truck driver has won his second lottery in a decade. The 39-year-old—who has remained anonymous—claimed his $2.85 million Multi-Match winnings on Saturday, the
reports. "It's great to be back," he said. The man apparently pops into stores along his route...
Want to Win Powerball? Maybe Move to West Virginia
Jun 2, 2014 12:44 PM CDT
Want to Win Powerball? Maybe Move to West Virginia
9 winners of $1M+ this year, more per capita than any other state
- West Virginia lottery players are on a roll this year, with nine Powerball tickets worth at least $1 million sold in the state. While five other states have had more people win $1 million or more, West Virginia is No. 1 per capita, averaging one Powerball ticket worth $1 million...
Manage to Get
May 18, 2014 9:17 AM CDT
How Gamblers Manage to Get Lucky Streaks
They're not really based on luck: study
- Lucky streaks shouldn't really happen. After all, the chances of a successful bet this time aren't affected by a win last time. Yet the phenomenon of lucky streaks—as well as losing streaks—does occur, scientists found after reviewing 565,915 online bets on horse racing, soccer, and...
Lucky Guy Hits
Big Lottery in
Nov 9, 2013 11:02 AM CST
Lucky Guy Hits Big Lottery in 2nd State
He's won million-dollar jackpots in Michigan and Tennessee
- Remember the guy who hit not one but two big lotteries in Florida? A Michigan man may have one-upped him by striking it rich in separate states. Joseph Palmarchuk won a $1.35 million lottery jackpot this week in Michigan's Classic Lotto 47 game. In 2011, Palmarchuk won a...
Florida Man Wins 2nd
Oct 30, 2013 4:04 PM CDT
Florida Man Wins 2nd Multimillion-Dollar Lottery
Orlando resident hits it at the same 7-Eleven, too
- An Orlando man who won a multimillion-dollar jackpot playing the Florida Lotto has done it again. The Florida Lottery says 67-year-old James Bozeman Jr. has claimed a $3 million Florida Lotto jackpot from the drawing held on Aug. 31. Last year, Bozeman claimed a $10 million Florida Lotto jackpot. He...
Mar 10, 2012 9:22 AM CST
Obama's Rise Stems From One Lucky Break
Specifically, the pulling of a name from a hat: David Maraniss
- David Maraniss of the
recounts how the rise of Barack Obama from obscure state senator to president of the United States can be traced to one moment of pure "luck and chance." Flash back to Sept. 5, 2001: Obama is a fifth-year legislator in Illinois who...
With Single Letter
Nov 8, 2010 6:33 AM CST
With Single Letter
'Super competitive' contestant wows host Sajak
Wheel of Fortune
contestant put one letter on the board—then correctly guessed the entire puzzle, reports Huffington Post. Caitlin Burke of New Jersey won a trip to the Caribbean for figuring out the (oh-so-appropriate) phrase, “I’ve got a good feeling about this,” with the letter...
Man Wins Lottery
Twice in 3 Months
Sep 28, 2010 5:40 PM CDT
Man Wins Lottery Twice in 3 Months
57-year-old wins $3M from two tickets
- A 57-year-old Missouri man has struck it rich in a million-dollar lottery this year—again. Ernest Pullen won $1 million on a "100 Million Dollar Blockbuster" ticket in June, then got another $2 million with a "Mega MONOPOLY" ticket this month, reports AP . He's taking the lump sum...
Rare White Elephant
Found in Burma
Jun 29, 2010 1:04 PM CDT
Rare White Elephant Found in Burma
Creature hailed as sign of good luck
- Villagers in western Myanmar have found a rare white elephant, a traditional symbol of good fortune in a region that badly needs it. The villagers spotted the animal in a herd of five elephants and contacted the Ministry of Forestry, which captured it, Reuters reports. White elephants—which are actually...
Apr 29, 2010 11:07 AM CDT
Lucky Charms Really Work
Study shows they can affect performance
- Wearing your "lucky underwear" to every big meeting may mean you're a little weird—but not crazy. A new study shows that believing in good luck can actually have an impact on performance. Researchers told a group of putters that they were playing with a "lucky ball"—...
New Year Rituals
Dec 29, 2008 1:50 AM CST
World's Oddest New Year Rituals
Grapes, bonfires, effigies are some nations' traditions for a lucky 2009
- While much of the world indulges in the traditional New Year's Eve fare of glittery balls and fireworks, other countries have more unusual ways of shepherding in the next year, reports
Travel and Leisure
. For example:
Gobbling a grape for each clock stroke is considered a fruity down
Thais Take Coffin
Naps to Fix Karma
Oct 1, 2008 7:44 PM CDT
Thais Take Coffin Naps to Fix Karma
$5 buys a few minutes in monastery's gaudy pink boxes
- As Thailand's economy slows and its government falters, growing numbers of deeply superstitious citizens are jostling into a pink coffin to "die," the
reports. At about $5 a head, monks in a monastery outside Bangkok officiate over the "dead bodies" in the coffins, before ushering in...
Aug 1, 2008 2:30 AM CDT
9,000 Plan Olympic Weddings
Opening day is lucky date
- Thousands of Beijing couples plan to tie the knot on the opening day of the Olympic Games, reports
The all-eights date, 8/8/08, is considered lucky in China, which is why authorities chose that day for the start of the Olympiad. Now some 9,000 lovers hope to share...
Popular on Newser
6 Teens Guilty for Role in Teacher's Beheading
U Penn President Steps Down After Outcry
Tomato Mysteriously Lost in Space Turns Up 8 Months Later
From Sleeper Hit to 'Generational Anthem'
Evert Reveals 'Diagnosis I Never Wanted to Hear'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.