Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Yosemite National Park
Stories 1 - 20 |
Story of Boy, 8, 'Climbing'
El Capitan Raises Eyebrows
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Nov 5, 2022 5:25 PM CDT
Story of Boy, 8, 'Climbing' El Capitan Raises Eyebrows
Experts say Sam Baker didn't technically 'climb' California rock formation
Some veteran rock climbers are speaking out after Sam Adventure Baker's ascent of El Capitan made headlines last week, the Daily Beast reports. Experts tell the
San Francisco Chronicle
that the 8-year-old and his father used a technique known as "jugging," in which they used ascenders—...
Major Bone in
Aug 19, 2022 1:48 PM CDT
Climber Breaks Nearly Every Major Bone in Fall, Survives
New Zealand's Anna Parsons is recuperating after terrifying 80-foot plunge on Half Dome
- Anna Parsons and her climbing partner, Jack Evans, had exciting plans before they headed from their native New Zealand to foreign exchange programs in Canada: The pair, who'd met as marine science students at the University of Otago, were going to fly to the US, then scale some rocks...
Jul 24, 2022 1:55 PM CDT
Crews Can't Contain Fire Near Yosemite
Blaze burns out of control in high heat, low humidity
: The wildfire raging near Yosemite National Park, which has become one of California's biggest of the year, remains out of control. And officials said the forecast for Sunday is not encouraging, the AP reports. "Today the weather is expected to remain hot with minimum humidity between 5...
Wildfire Threatens Yosemite's
Iconic Giant Sequoias
Jul 10, 2022 8:45 AM CDT
Wildfire Threatens Yosemite's Iconic Giant Sequoias
Out-of-control blaze burns near Mariposa Grove in national park
- The largest grove of giant sequoias in Yosemite National Park is under threat by a growing wildfire. More than 500 of the iconic trees were threatened in the Mariposa Grove, though as of Saturday there were no reports of severe damage to any named trees, including the 3,000-year-old Grizzly...
Graffiti Artists Hit
Yet Another National Park
Jun 13, 2022 7:27 AM CDT
Graffiti Artists Hit Yet Another National Park
This time, dozens of sites were vandalized with spray paint at California's Yosemite
- If you visited Yosemite National Park in mid-May, you may be of assistance to the National Park Service in nabbing some vandals. In a Sunday Facebook post , park officials showed images of rocks along the Yosemite Falls Trail covered in blue and white spray paint, some of them with the...
His Climb of
El Capitan Is
His Mom's Is Too
Oct 29, 2021 7:47 AM CDT
His Climb of El Capitan Is Legendary. Now His Mom's Is Too
Alex Honnold's mother, Dierdre Wolownick, is the oldest woman to ascend Yosemite peak
- "Alex didn't think I could do it." That was Dierdre Wolownick yesterday, in a blog post describing her latest feat—climbing El Capitan at the age of 70. As for Alex, who is he, and why does Wolownick care what he thinks? He's professional rock-climber Alex...
In 30 Years, a 'Devastating'
Decline at Yosemite
in case you missed it
Jul 25, 2021 12:30 PM CDT
In 30 Years, a 'Devastating' Decline at Yosemite
Susannah Meadows returns for the first time since her youth
- When Susannah Meadows interned as a park ranger at Yosemite National Park in 1993, the rushing Merced River was so loud she had to close her window before making a phone call. On a return trip this year, her first since that internship, she found the same river to be...
Tragic End to Search
for Distance Runner
Jul 21, 2021 7:15 PM CDT
Tragic End to Search for Distance Runner
Fred Zalokar found dead in Yosemite National Park
- After decades as an endurance athlete, Fred Zalokar's final journey was in Yosemite National Park. The 61-year-old, who was well known in the world of endurance sports, was found dead Tuesday, two days after he was reported missing, reports the
San Francisco Chronicle.
The Reno resident had planned an...
Ranger Shares Heartbreaking
Image of Grieving Mama Bear
Jul 21, 2021 12:28 PM CDT
Ranger Shares Heartbreaking Image of Grieving Mama Bear
Hours after crash, it was still calling to dead cub
- A ranger at Yosemite National Park has shared a heartbreaking story of a bear encounter—and a plea for motorists to slow down. In a Facebook post, the ranger says they received an all too common report of "Bear hit by vehicle, dead on the side of the road,...
Heat to Reach
Jul 9, 2021 5:05 PM CDT
Heat to Reach Yosemite This Weekend
Hikers will be facing temperatures of 100 degrees or so
- As a heat wave settles in on the West Coast this weekend, Yosemite National Park might sound like an attractive escape. But temperatures at Yosemite are expected to hit 100 or 111 degrees over the weekend, SFGate reports. "Because there's a lot of exposed granite in the park...
Yosemite Climber Survived a
Huge Fall, With Consequences
Jun 30, 2021 6:30 PM CDT
Yosemite Climber Survived a Huge Fall, With Consequences
Josh Ourada dug in his heels so hard one 'disintegrated in parts'
- Climber Josh Ourada fell almost 200 feet in Yosemite without dying. But that's not to say there weren't serious consequences. The 31-year-old talks to Outside Online about the April 10, 2021, fall—what preceded it, what he was thinking of as he plummeted, and what he's dealing...
1.6K Feet in the Air
Jun 23, 2021 3:33 AM CDT
They Walked 2.8K Feet—While 1.6K Feet in the Air
Brothers lead group that sets California highline record in Yosemite
- Earlier this month, a group of 20 adventurers set a record for the longest highline ever to be walked in California. What that means: They walked 2,800 feet—while 1,600 feet in the air, the
San Francisco Chronicle
reports. Bay Area brothers Moises and Daniel Monterrubio led the...
Brothers Set Yosemite Record,
Get Gorgeous Views
Jun 20, 2021 10:00 AM CDT
Brothers Set Yosemite Record, Get Gorgeous Views
Moises and Daniel Monterrubio walk a 2,800-foot highline
- Two brothers from San Francisco say they have set a record for the longest highline ever walked in both Yosemite National Park and California, the
San Francisco Chronicle
reports. Earlier this month, they and a group of friends spent nearly a week stringing a single, 2,800-foot-long line from Taft...
This Is How to Right the Wrongs
Done to Native Americans
Apr 18, 2021 11:00 AM CDT
This Is How to Right the Wrongs Done to Native Americans
David Treuer makes the case that our National Parks should be given to them
- David Treuer's piece for the
is peppered with so many bold lines it's hard to whittle down which to share. But this is a strong one: "The American West began with war but concluded with parks." In his lengthy piece, Treuer, himself a Native American...
They Skied, Rappeled
Down 'Death Slabs'
for a Half Dome First
Mar 1, 2021 11:35 AM CST
They Skied, Rappeled Down 'Death Slabs' for a Half Dome First
Jason Torlano, Zach Milligan seem to be first ones to ski entire 4.8K feet from peak to Yosemite Valley
- Two skiers navigated a thin layer of snow with no margin for error down the precipitous shoulder of Half Dome in Yosemite National Park and alternately skied and rappelled back to the valley floor in an unusually daring feat, per the AP . Jason Torlano, 45, and Zach Milligan, 40, completed...
Hiker Was 'All Smiles' Before
Tragic Yosemite Death
Jan 29, 2021 9:13 AM CST
Hiker Was 'All Smiles' Before Tragic Yosemite Death
Alice Yu Xie was found dead at base of waterfall
- California woman Anna Horn may have been the last person to see Alice Yu Xie before her death in Yosemite National Park earlier this month, and she believes her death was a tragic accident. The 41-year-old's body was found at the base of Upper Yosemite Fall on Jan. 16....
Missing Yosemite Hiker
Is Found Dead
Jan 25, 2021 8:07 AM CST
Missing Yosemite Hiker Is Found Dead
'Alice' Yu Xie, 41, found dead on Jan. 16 in Yosemite National Park after ill-fated hike
- A hiker who went missing at Yosemite National Park earlier this month has been found dead. National Park Service officials say the body of "Alice" Yu Xie, 41, was found Jan. 16 at the base of Upper Yosemite Fall, per KCRA . KTLA reports that Xie had traveled to the...
She Was Badly
Hurt in Her Last
Shot at El Capitan.
Nov 9, 2020 10:15 AM CST
She Was Badly Hurt in Her Last Shot at El Capitan. Now, Success
Emily Harrington becomes first woman to free-climb Yosemite rock formation in less than 24 hours
- Last November, Emily Harrington got banged up pretty badly after she fell from El Capitan in Yosemite National Park, in an attempt to become the first woman to free-climb the rock formation in less than 24 hours following the tough "Golden Gate" route. Better news this time around: The...
Sep 18, 2020 8:46 AM CDT
Smoke Forces Yosemite's Closure
Hazardous air expected for several days
- Yosemite National Park has been closed indefinitely as smoke from wildfires turns the air into a polluted mess. An air quality monitor run by the federal government showed a pollution score of 681 in the park on Thursday, per the
Los Angeles Times
. Hazardous air is anything scoring above 300....
Yosemite Can't Catch a Break
Sep 15, 2020 1:20 PM CDT
Yosemite Can't Catch a Break
COVID-19, hazardous air quality, and rattlesnakes
- Bad things come in threes, at least as far as one national park is concerned. In addition to COVID's impact and hazardous air quality due to the approach of wildfires on its southern edge, Yosemite is dealing with a "noticeable uptick" in rattlesnake bites, per park officials . Two...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Brittney Griner Freed by Russia, but at a 'Heavy Price'
All Nantucket Beaches Are Now Topless Beaches
What Sleeping With a Weighted Blanket Does to Your Brain
Biden Signs NDA Limits Into Law
Sunny Balwani's Sentence Is Longer Than Elizabeth Holmes'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.