Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
50 Years Ago, She Took
a Stand, and It Worked
Aug 26, 2023 2:20 PM CDT
50 Years Ago, She Took a Stand, and It Worked
Billie Jean King demanded female players at US Open earn the same as men
- When Billie Jean King won the US Open in 1972, she didn't make the usual remarks about hoping to win again. Instead, she threatened to not play at all the next year—and added that no other women would, either. That's because she earned $10,000 for her...
FIFA Chief on Equal Pay:
'Pick the Right Battles'
Aug 18, 2023 7:28 AM CDT
FIFA Chief on Equal Pay: 'Pick the Right Battles'
Gianni Infantino catches flak for telling women players to 'convince us men'
- Equal pay has long been a bone of contention for women's soccer, and FIFA's president appears to be on the side of achieving "equality" overall, but his recent wording on the subject is rankling some fans. Speaking at the FIFA Women's Football Convention ahead of Sunday'...
On Equal Pay Day, a
'Particularly Strange' Finding
Mar 14, 2023 10:35 AM CDT
On Equal Pay Day, a 'Particularly Strange' Finding
Gender wage gap continues to narrow, but it's seen a big slowdown over past 2 decades
- Tuesday is Equal Pay Day in the US, a shifting annual marker that documents the gender pay gap by indicating how far into the new year women have to work to catch up to what their male counterparts made the previous year. The good news is that, even as recently...
Men's World Cup Success
Pays Off for Women's Team
Nov 30, 2022 6:50 PM CST
Men's World Cup Success Pays Off for Women's Team
Payout under new deal should top checks from last women's victories
- Under the terms of a new agreement on dividing World Cup revenue, the US women's team is having a profitable tournament in Qatar. The US men have reached the round of 16 there, after beating Iran 1-0 on Tuesday. The way FIFA outlines the payouts, teams that finish in...
US Women's Soccer Team
Finally Gets Its Equal Pay
May 18, 2022 7:40 AM CDT
US Women's Soccer Team Finally Gets Its Equal Pay
US Soccer Federation is first in the sport to promise both sexes matching money
- The US Soccer Federation reached milestone agreements to pay its men's and women's teams equally, making the American national governing body the first in the sport to promise both sexes matching money. The federation announced separate collective bargaining agreements (CBAs) that run through December 2028 with the unions...
Pay Gap? In These
US Cities, It's Flipped
Mar 29, 2022 9:34 AM CDT
Pay Gap? In These US Cities, It's Flipped
Young women outearn their male counterparts in NYC, Washington, per new Pew analysis
- Equal pay may seem a distant dream we won't reach for hundreds of years , but for women just starting out in the workplace, the news is bright in certain parts. A new Pew Research Center analysis, which pored over Census Bureau stats from 2015 to 2019, finds that in...
Equal-Pay Win for
US Women's Soccer
Comes With a Catch
Mar 2, 2022 12:15 PM CST
Equal-Pay Win for US Women's Soccer Comes With a Catch
Cheryl Cooky argues athletic superiority shouldn't be a prerequisite
- The US Women's National Team's big win last week didn't happen in a stadium. After a six-year fight, the soccer team reached a settlement with the sport's American governing body. Writing for NBC News , Cheryl Cooky writes their case "is believed to be the first...
US Women's Soccer
Just Scored a Gooooaaaal
Feb 22, 2022 8:17 AM CST
US Women's Soccer Just Scored a Gooooaaaal
$24M settlement reached in legal battle for equal pay with US Soccer Federation
- US women soccer players reached a landmark agreement with the sport's American governing body to end a six-year legal battle over equal pay, a deal in which they are promised $24 million plus bonuses that match those of the men, per the AP . The US Soccer Federation and the...
Forget 'Equal Pay.'
We Need 'Pay Equity'
Nov 14, 2020 2:00 PM CST
Forget 'Equal Pay.' We Need 'Pay Equity'
New Zealand is embracing the value of women's work, writes Anna Louie Sussman
- So-called women's work—like cleaning, caring, and providing food—is usually underpaid, but "equal pay" isn't the answer. That's according to journalist Anna Louie Sussman, who argues in the
New York Times
that New Zealand's pursuit of "pay equity" makes a lot more sense....
Is Not Over'
May 3, 2020 12:25 PM CDT
Biden Issues Threat: 'This Is Not Over'
The Democratic presidential hopeful demands equal pay for female soccer players
- Fired up over equal pay for female soccer players? Joe Biden just laid down the gauntlet. The presidential hopeful sent off a pair of tweets Saturday after the US Women's National Soccer Team suffered a legal setback in its pursuit of equal pay, CNN reports. "To @USWNT: don'...
Women Soccer Players' Rep
Blasts 'Caveman' Remarks
Mar 12, 2020 11:20 AM CDT
Women Soccer Players' Rep Blasts 'Caveman' Remarks
USSF chief apologizes after saying women have lesser responsibilities, physical abilities than guys
- The US Soccer Federation apologized Wednesday after contending in court documents that women on its national team had lesser responsibilities and physical abilities than male counterparts, an assertion that drew widespread criticism and sparked a player protest, per the AP . "On behalf of US Soccer, I sincerely apologize for...
Equal Pay Is Coming.
In the Year 2277
Dec 18, 2019 1:47 PM CST
Equal Pay Is Coming. In the Year 2277
World Economic Forum is out with its annual Global Gender Gap Report
- The good news: A new report finds women and men in the workplace will eventually achieve gender parity. The bad news: That won't happen until right around 2277. The World Economic Forum's Global Gender Gap Report finds that at the current rate of change, the gender pay gap...
US Soccer: Women's Team
Is Paid More Than Men's
Jul 30, 2019 5:33 AM CDT
US Soccer: Women's Team Is Paid More Than Men's
'Utterly false,' counters rep for female players
- US Soccer claims it has paid more to players on the World Cup-winning women's national team than their male counterparts over the past decade. With weeks to go before mediation in the federal gender discrimination lawsuit, US Soccer President Carlos Cordeiro released a fact sheet Monday showing the women'...
Women's Soccer Team
Has Found a New Ally
Jul 14, 2019 1:47 PM CDT
Women's Soccer Team Has Found a New Ally
Procter & Gamble supports the team's fight for equal pay
- Players on the US Women's National Soccer Team have a new ally in their fight for equal pay: Procter & Gamble. The multinational corporation, also a team sponsor, placed a full-page ad in the Sunday
New York Times
pressing the governing body of US soccer "to be on...
A 'Moral' Change Kicks
Off World Cup Parade
Jul 10, 2019 11:10 AM CDT
A 'Moral' Change Kicks Off World Cup Parade
Equal pay is now law in New York
- There was more to celebrate than soccer Wednesday at the ticker-tape parade for the World Cup-winning US women's soccer team. Just before the event began at 9:30am local time, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced new state legislation, which "eliminates a gender discrimination loophole regarding pay between...
Rapinoe Speaks Directly
to Trump: 'Do Better'
Jul 10, 2019 6:33 AM CDT
Rapinoe Speaks Directly to Trump: 'Do Better'
Soccer star describes World Cup win as 'turning point'
- "You need to do better—for everyone." That was Megan Rapinoe's message to President Trump during a Tuesday interview with CNN 's Anderson Cooper. Asked what she would say to the commander in chief, the US women's soccer co-captain looked into the camera and addressed...
Bill Addresses 'Unacceptable'
Gender Pay Gap in US Soccer
Jul 10, 2019 12:33 AM CDT
Bill Addresses 'Unacceptable' Gender Pay Gap in US Soccer
'They are the best in the world and deserve to be paid accordingly'
- The US women's soccer team has now won four World Cups—four more than the men's team—and a Democratic senator is among those saying the women deserve to be paid at least as much as the men. Sen. Joe Manchin introduced a bill Tuesday that would withhold...
Top Flutist Makes $250K
a Year, and Is Suing Over It
Dec 12, 2018 12:48 PM CST
Top Flutist Makes $250K a Year, and Is Suing Over It
Elizabeth Rowe argues the BSO has refused to pay her the same as her male colleague
- When the Boston Symphony Orchestra's selection committee heard 29-year-old Elizabeth Rowe audition, it didn't know her gender: As Geoff Edgers writes in a lengthy piece for the
, the orchestra's blind auditions dictate that a screen obscures the musician's identity. She landed her "dream...
Time's Up on
May 14, 2018 9:20 AM CDT
Salma Hayek: Time's Up on Actors' Fat Paychecks
Says Hollywood's leading men can't grab so much of the pie if they're serious about pay equality
- Fresh off a silent protest on the Cannes red carpet over the dearth of women-directed films to play the festival, Salma Hayek is beating the drum for pay equality, telling the
that the leading men in Hollywood need to take a pay cut: "Time's up. You had...
Female BBC Editor Just
Shamed Broadcaster Over Pay
Jan 8, 2018 7:35 AM CST
Female BBC Editor Just Shamed Broadcaster Over Pay
Carrie Gracie leaves her high-profile post in China in protest of wage gap
- The BBC's China editor has resigned her position in Beijing in protest over what she called a failure to sufficiently address a gap in compensation between men and women at the public broadcaster. Carrie Gracie said she would stay with the BBC and "return to my former post...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Husband, Mom of Woman Killed on Wedding Night in Ugly Legal Fight
Judge Sentences Woman to Work in Fast Food Restaurant
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
Gunman Kills 3 at UNLV, Critically Wounds Another
Kevin McCarthy to Exit the House at Month's End
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.