Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Is Back in the Headlines
Nov 30, 2023 11:09 AM CST
McCarthy-Trump Relationship Is Back in the Headlines
Ex-speaker told Liz Cheney he visited Mar-a-Lago in 2021 after hearing Trump was depressed
- Kevin McCarthy is suddenly the topic of a flurry of news stories, particularly regarding the ousted speaker's relationship with Donald Trump. Coverage:
In her upcoming book
Oath and Honor
, former GOP Rep. Liz Cheney says she confronted McCarthy after he famously visited Trump at Mar-a-Lago three
At Her Alma Mater,
Importance of Truth
May 28, 2023 4:25 PM CDT
At Her Alma Mater, Cheney Stresses Importance of Truth
Some students at Colorado College turn away during commencement speech
- Former US Rep. Liz Cheney implored new college graduates to not compromise when it comes to the truth, excoriating her House Republican colleagues for not doing enough to combat former President Donald Trump's lies that the 2020 election was stolen. In a commencement speech at Colorado College, the Wyoming...
Liz Cheney Has a 'Warning'
Apr 18, 2023 1:55 PM CDT
Liz Cheney Has a 'Warning'
Ousted House Republican's memoir, 'Oath and Honor,' is out in November
- Former Rep. Liz Cheney has a memoir and a "warning" coming out this fall. In
Oath and Honor: A Memoir and a Warning,
she'll write about her estrangement from former President Trump and the Republican Party in the aftermath of the Jan. 6 siege of the US Capitol,...
Gives MTG a
Feb 21, 2023 1:35 AM CST
Liz Cheney Gives MTG a Civics Lesson
As Utah Gov. Spencer Cox also called her rhetoric 'evil'
- Marjorie Taylor Greene's call for "a national divorce" in which red states and blue states are separated isn't getting the warmest reception. Republican Utah Gov. Spencer Cox on Monday said her "rhetoric is destructive and wrong and—honestly—evil." The remainder of his initial tweet...
Complaints About Cheney
Lead to Committee Bickering
Nov 24, 2022 4:55 PM CST
Complaints About Cheney Lead to Committee Bickering
Trump jumps in on the squabble over final report, as well
- Divisions among the staff and members of the House Jan. 6 committee that had been kept behind the scenes have become public. Former and current staff members are displeased that Rep. Liz Cheney has steered the panel's final report to concentrate on former President Donald Trump, which they say...
Liz Cheney Gets
the Last Word
in Kari Lake Loss
Nov 15, 2022 6:44 AM CST
Liz Cheney Gets the Last Word in Kari Lake Loss
Or at least the latest word, with a 'you're welcome' tweet
- When Liz Cheney crossed parties and campaigned against Republican Kari Lake in the Arizona governor's race, Lake reveled in it. At the time, the Trump-backed candidate issued a public letter thanking Cheney for coming out against her. “In fact, my team telIs me your commercial should add another...
Nov 6, 2022 3:20 PM CST
Cheney Backs Another Democrat
Rep. Abigail Spanberger of Virginia will defend the Constitution, Republican says
- Rep. Liz Cheney, who once led the House Republican Conference, has endorsed a congressional Democrat for the third time this year. Cheney announced her endorsement of Rep. Abigail Spanberger in a statement to
the Washington Post
in which she conceded that the two don't agree on every policy matter....
Jan. 6 Panel in Talks
With Team Trump:Cheney
Nov 2, 2022 6:54 AM CDT
Jan. 6 Panel in Talks With Team Trump:Cheney
Discussions around testimony are happening, she says
- Former President Trump's legal team is "in discussions" with the House select committee probing the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the US Capitol, according to Liz Cheney. The congresswoman says the talks center around the former POTUS testifying under oath in the investigation, CNN and ABC News report....
a Democrat for
the First Time
Oct 27, 2022 4:15 PM CDT
Cheney Supports a Democrat for the First Time
Republican schedules campaign appearance with Michigan Rep. Elissa Slotkin
- Republican Rep. Liz Cheney on Thursday endorsed and plans to campaign for Rep. Elissa Slotkin of Michigan, the first time that the critic of former President Donald Trump, who lost her GOP primary, has crossed party lines to formally support a Democrat. Cheney, of Wyoming, announced her support for the...
Trump's Appearance Will Be
No Circus, Cheney Says
Oct 23, 2022 5:20 PM CDT
Trump's Appearance Will Be No Circus, Cheney Says
Republican says former president would answer questions behind closed doors
- If former President Donald Trump complies with a House subpoena and shows up to answer questions, don't expect a sideshow, Rep. Liz Cheney said Sunday. He'll be questioned under oath behind closed doors, she said, in an appearance handled with "rigor and discipline and seriousness," CNN...
If GOP Picks
Sep 25, 2022 10:35 AM CDT
Liz Cheney: If GOP Picks Trump, I'll Leave Party
Republican says she'll campaign for some Democrats to defeat election deniers
- She plans to campaign for some Democrats, but for now, Rep. Liz Cheney remains a Republican. That will change, CNN reports, if the party nominates former President Donald Trump to run for president in 2024. "I'm going to do everything I can to make sure he is not...
Aug 17, 2022 10:20 AM CDT
Liz Cheney Speaks on 2024 Buzz
Wyoming Republican is 'thinking about' running for president following primary loss
- In admitting defeat in her Wyoming primary on Tuesday night, Rep. Liz Cheney appeared to be setting her sights beyond. "The great and original champion of our party, Abraham Lincoln, was defeated in elections for the Senate and the House before he won the most important election of all,...
Cemented a New GOP
Aug 17, 2022 9:35 AM CDT
Tuesday's Primaries Cemented a New GOP
Cheney vows to continue fighting 'against those who would destroy our republic'
- Liz Cheney knew she was fighting a losing battle. Had she cozied up to Donald Trump, she might have easily won her Wyoming primary on Tuesday instead of losing handily (she had 29% support to Harriet Hageman's 66%, with 99% of expected votes counted, per the
Aug 17, 2022 6:53 AM CDT
Liz Cheney Loses Her Primary
Trump-backed challenger Harriet Hageman wins
- As expected , Liz Cheney lost her primary Tuesday in Wyoming. The congresswoman lost to Harriet Hageman, who was backed by former President Trump—who was, as NBC News puts it, seeking "revenge" on Cheney for voting to impeach him when he was president, as well as for sitting...
3 Big Names
on Ballot, Plus
One That Isn't
Aug 16, 2022 9:40 AM CDT
Primary Day: 3 Big Names on Ballot, Plus One That Isn't
Liz Cheney, Sarah Palin, and Lisa Murkowski fight to move on, all with fates tied to Donald Trump
- Pretty much all the focus in Tuesday's primary schedule is on three high-profile names—Liz Cheney, Lisa Murkowski, and Sarah Palin—all of whom have a strong connection to former President Trump. Here's the latest on the contests out of Wyoming and Alaska:
The sentiment about the
Democrats Are Liz Cheney's
Only Hope in Wyoming Primary
Aug 15, 2022 4:53 PM CDT
Democrats Are Liz Cheney's Only Hope in Wyoming Primary
It seems clear the Wyoming Republican is looking beyond Tuesday's election
- What will become of Rep. Liz Cheney on Tuesday when Wyomingites vote in the primary for the state’s sole congressional seat? If polls are any indication, she will be trounced by Trump-backed Harriet Hageman. Then again, according to
Paul Kane, this Wyoming primary may prove to...
Aug 15, 2022 8:35 AM CDT
On Primary Eve, Different Outlooks for Cheney, Murkowski
Both GOPers have been strong Trump critics, but Murkowski's prospects look better than Cheney's
- They hail from their states' most prominent Republican families. They've been among the GOP's sharpest critics of former President Trump. And after the Jan. 6 insurrection, they supported his impeachment. But for all their similarities, the political fortunes of US Sen. Lisa Murkowski of Alaska and US Rep....
Thoughts on DeSantis
Aug 8, 2022 6:56 AM CDT
Liz Cheney Reveals Her Thoughts on DeSantis
She'd have a hard time supporting him for president
- In an extensive
New York Times
interview, Liz Cheney reveals that despite the fact that she often butts heads with other members of the Republican Party, she has no plans to exit the GOP. "I'm a Republican," she says simply. But as for whether the party she...
Dick Cheney Has Some
Fighting Words for Trump
Aug 5, 2022 9:31 AM CDT
Dick Cheney Has Some Fighting Words for Trump
Former VP calls former president a 'coward' in ad for his daughter Liz
- Former President Trump is a "coward" who "tried to steal the last election using lies and violence to keep himself in power after the voters had rejected him," Dick Cheney says in a campaign ad for his daughter, Rep. Liz Cheney. "A real man wouldn't...
Cheney: Hearings May Be
'Most Important Thing I Ever Do'
Jul 21, 2022 2:35 PM CDT
Cheney: Hearings May Be 'Most Important Thing I Ever Do'
Jan. 6 panel has a prime-time public hearing Thursday
- The Jan. 6 panel will be back in session Thursday with a prime-time hearing focusing on what former President Trump did—and didn't—do on the day of the riot . As NBC News reports, Thursday's 8pm Eastern session will focus on 187 minutes in particular, a stretch lasting...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
George Santos Is Expelled From Congress
Report: Israel Had Details of Hamas Attack for Over a Year
Santos: 'I No Longer Have to Answer a Single Question'
Sheriff Stands by 'Deeply Concerning' Arrest of Reporter
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.