Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
In Historic Move, Biden Joins UAW Picket Line
Stories 1 - 20 |
Takes a Stand
May 28, 2022 8:30 AM CDT
SF Giants Manager Takes a Stand After Uvalde
Gabe Kapler: I won't come out for national anthem till 'I feel ... better about the direction of our country'
- In the wake of the Uvalde mass shooting , the sports world is weighing in. Now joining Golden State Warriors coach Steve Kerr , the Miami Heat , and the New York Yankees and Tampa Bay Rays in speaking out is San Francisco Giants manager Gabe Kapler, who says he's not going...
Women of Color Sang
Before Super Bowl.
NBC Mixed Them Up
Feb 13, 2022 9:02 PM CST
Women of Color Sang Before Super Bowl. NBC Mixed Them Up
Caption confused Mickey Guyton, Jhene Aiko
- Jhené Aiko performed "America the Beautiful" before Super Bowl LVI Sunday, followed by Mickey Guyton singing the national anthem—but NBC mixed up the two women of color, captioning Guyton as Aiko during the broadcast. Uproar on social media was swift, Yahoo News reports. "All black folks don'...
Olympian Hammer Thrower
Turns From Flag During Anthem
Jun 27, 2021 7:45 AM CDT
Olympian Hammer Thrower Turns From Flag During Anthem
Gwen Berry says she's an activist athlete standing up for the Black community
- For the past week, they've played the national anthem one time per evening at the US Olympic track and field trials. On Saturday, the song started while outspoken activist Gwen Berry was standing on the podium after receiving her bronze medal in the hammer throw. While the music played,...
NBA to Require Playing
Anthem Before Games
Feb 10, 2021 5:24 PM CST
NBA to Require Playing Anthem Before Games
'We are good with it,' Mark Cuban says
- A day after Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban confirmed that he made the call to stop playing the “Star Spangled Banner” at the team’s home games, the NBA announced that it will require all teams to play the national anthem ahead of games.The move to require the...
NBA Team Drops
the National Anthem
Feb 10, 2021 7:45 AM CST
NBA Team Drops the National Anthem
Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban ordered the change at beginning of season
- The Dallas Mavericks have played 13 preseason and regular-season games at home this NBA season, and not once has the national anthem played. It was absent even as a limited audience of 1,500 fans took in Monday's game at American Airlines Center, and it's not likely to...
Australia Drops One Word
From National Anthem
Dec 31, 2020 8:27 AM CST
Australia Drops One Word From National Anthem
'Young and free' is now 'one and free'
- In Australia, where 2021 arrived earlier than in most of the rest of the world, Prime Minister Scott Morrison announced a surprise change to the national anthem on New Year's Eve. Morrison said that as of Jan. 1, the second line of "Advance Australia Fair" would change from...
In Empty NFL Stadiums,
Teams Take Their Stand
Sep 13, 2020 3:30 PM CDT
In Empty NFL Stadiums, Teams Take Their Stand
Some teams don't even appear for the national anthem
- Seattle's Jason Myers kicked the ball through the end zone to open Seattle's season at Atlanta. No one else on the field moved. Instead, the Seahawks and Falcons dropped to one knee where they had stood. After years of pleading with their league to act against systemic racism,...
As NBA Resumes, Every
Player Takes a Knee
Jul 31, 2020 5:14 AM CDT
As NBA Resumes, Every Player Takes a Knee
But those who choose not to should not be 'vilified,' says Charles Barkley
- A lot has happened since the NBA abruptly suspended its season in March—and players delivered a powerful message when play resumed in Florida on Thursday night. Every player with the Utah Jazz and the New Orleans Pelicans wore a "Black Lives Matter" shirt and took a knee during...
Court Empties After Teams
Honor Breonna Taylor
Jul 26, 2020 9:39 AM CDT
Court Empties After Teams Honor Breonna Taylor
WNBA players dedicate season to victim, then leave for national anthem
- The WNBA and its players have announced that they're playing this season for the Louisville woman shot to death by police in March. "We are dedicating this season to Breonna Taylor, an outstanding EMT who was murdered over 130 days ago in her home," said Layshia Clarendon...
Coming to NFL Games: the
Black National Anthem
Jul 3, 2020 3:00 AM CDT
Coming to NFL Games: the Black National Anthem
'Lift Every Voice and Sing' will be performed before 'Star-Spangled Banner' during Week 1
- The NFL isn't dropping the national anthem, but it is, at least for a week, adding the song known as the Black national anthem. "Lift Every Voice and Sing" will be performed before every kickoff during the opening week of the NFL season, a source tells outlets including...
With Inclusive Classic
Jun 25, 2020 6:30 PM CDT
Team Replaces National Anthem With Inclusive Classic
Tulsa Athletic to play 'This Land Is Your Land' instead
- The third verse of the "Star-Spangled Banner" isn't sung publicly often. But among the little-known words are "No refuge could save the hireling and slave / From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave." The Tulsa Athletic has decided that's not the...
Trump: 'Won't Be
Watching' Anthem Protests
Jun 14, 2020 7:00 AM CDT
Trump: 'Won't Be Watching' Anthem Protests
President not a fan of US Soccer, NFL moves to allow player protests
- US Soccer may have reversed its stance on allowing players to kneel during the national anthem, but one high-profile viewer won't be around to watch it happen. "I won't be watching much anymore!" tweeted President Trump on Saturday in response to the move, per
US Soccer Drops Rule
Jun 10, 2020 7:20 PM CDT
US Soccer Drops Rule Against Kneeling
Megan Rapinoe had followed the NFL's Colin Kaepernick in protest
- US Soccer's board of directors has voted to repeal a policy that required national team players to stand during the national anthem, a rule adopted after Megan Rapinoe kneeled in support of Colin Kaepernick. The board made the decision during a conference call, US Soccer announced Wednesday. Policy 604-1...
Jun 5, 2020 1:34 AM CDT
Drew Brees Apologizes Yet Again
New Orleans Saints quarterback still under fire after his first apology
- Drew Brees' first apology didn't go over well with everyone , and now the New Orleans Saints quarterback is trying again. "I know there’s not much that I can say that would make things any better right now, but I just want you to see in my eyes...
Jun 4, 2020 5:50 PM CDT
Just Quit, Shannon Sharpe Tells Brees
Hall of Famer says he'll never respect Saints quarterback again after comments
- Drew Brees' apology did not win over Shannon Sharpe. After a broad backlash, the Saints quarterback posted Thursday that he was sorry for saying that taking a knee during the playing of the national anthem was "disrespecting the flag." Sharpe called the change of heart "meaningless, because...
Drew Brees: Anti-Kneeling
Comments 'Missed the Mark'
Jun 4, 2020 9:20 AM CDT
Drew Brees: Anti-Kneeling Comments 'Missed the Mark'
Saints quarterback promises 'less talking, more listening'
- I am not the enemy. That was the message from Drew Brees on Thursday as he responded to backlash from his suggestion that NFL players kneeling during the national anthem were "disrespecting" the American flag . "I would like to apologize to my friends, teammates, the City of New...
Watch Rita Wilson's
Apr 6, 2020 12:04 AM CDT
Watch Rita Wilson's Comeback Performance
She sings national anthem after recovering from coronavirus
- Rita Wilson made her coronavirus comeback Sunday, singing the national anthem to open a virtual NASCAR event. Wilson, who was diagnosed with COVID-19 almost four weeks ago and has since recovered, performed at her Los Angeles home and was filmed by her and Tom Hanks' youngest son, Truman, 24. As...
Jay-Z: That Was No
Protest at Super Bowl
Feb 5, 2020 8:23 AM CST
Jay-Z: That Was No Protest at Super Bowl
The seated rapper-producer was just in 'artist mode'
- One observer figured Jay-Z and Beyonce stayed seated during the national anthem at the Super Bowl in "a pathetic attempt by two calculating businesspeople to win back some credit with fans and protesters" after Jay-Z's entertainment company, Roc Nation, partnered with the NFL. According to Jay-Z, that's...
'Teacher of the Year'
Takes a Knee Near Trump
Jan 17, 2020 9:00 AM CST
'Teacher of the Year' Takes a Knee Near Trump
Kelly D. Holstine says 'it felt like the right thing to do'
- President Trump stood nearby as Kelly D. Holstine took a knee Monday at the College Football Playoff National Championship. It wasn't the first time Holstine, Minnesota's 2018-19 Teacher of the Year, had tried to send a message to Trump, having been one of two educators who skipped out...
Fined for Not
Dec 9, 2019 1:24 PM CST
Former NBAer Fined for Not Looking at China Flag
Guerschon Yabusele plays for the CBA now, says he was praying before game
- Guerschon Yabusele, who played with the Boston Celtics for two seasons before moving to a professional team in China, was hit with a "serious warning"—and a $1,400 fine—for not looking at the Chinese flag while the country's national anthem was played before the Nanjing...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Multiple People Now 'on the Radar' in JonBenet Case
Family in 'Unbearable Pain' After Mother Found in Gator's Jaws
On Tuesday, an 'Absolutely Unprecedented' Move by Biden
Strange Case of Mom Accused in Husband's Death Gets Stranger
Russell Brand's Troubles Get Worse
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.