Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Lost Hiker's SOS Sign
May Have Saved Her Life
Oct 29, 2019 11:27 AM CDT
Lost Hiker's SOS Sign May Have Saved Her Life
Mary Joanna Gomez, 56, was missing for days in Sequoia National Park
- A traveling nurse who was missing for days in a California national park has been found thanks to the SOS sign she constructed out of rocks and tree bark. Mary Joanna Gomez, 56, was found in steep terrain some 3.5 miles from the nearest trail in Sequoia and Kings...
Man Checking Home's Security
Camera Spots 'SOS' in Driveway
in case you missed it
Oct 20, 2019 10:05 AM CDT
Man Checking Home's Security Camera Spots 'SOS' in Driveway
Woman lost in Aussie bush for 3 days stumbled on empty vacation home being monitored remotely
- Deborah Pilgrim wasn't too lucky when she wandered away from her friends during a camping trip outside Adelaide over the weekend—the 55-year-old ended up losing track of where she was in the Australian bush and vanished for three days. Where her luck changed for the better, per NBC...
Trapped Florida Couple Uses
Trees to Spell 'HELP'
Oct 15, 2018 12:38 PM CDT
Trapped Florida Couple Uses Trees to Spell 'HELP'
And it worked in the wake of Hurricane Michael
- An innovative Floridian, his sharp-eyed niece, and some high-tech images combined for one of the more unusual rescues after Hurricane Michael. When Ernest Gee and his wife were trapped on their property in Youngstown, Gee used downed trees to spell out the word HELP in the yard, reports ABC News...
Police May Have Answer
to Perplexing SOS Message
Jun 8, 2017 7:23 AM CDT
Police May Have Answer to Perplexing SOS Message
A man called them to say his brother constructed it in 2013
- It had police scratching their heads—and wondering if they should be searching for missing persons: an SOS message spotted by helicopter in a part of Western Australia so remote the nearest city of note is more than 600 miles away. Now police may have their answer, thanks in no...
SOS Message Has Australian
Police Scratching Their Heads
May 26, 2017 6:05 PM CDT
SOS Message Has Australian Police Scratching Their Heads
It's unclear if someone is in need of help or was playing a prank
- Police are searching for answers—and possibly missing people—after an SOS signal was spotted recently in a remote part of Western Australia, the BBC reports. A helicopter spotted rocks spelling out SOS in an area called Swift Bay. According to the
Sydney Morning Herald
the rocks are 75 miles...
Saved By SOS
Apr 8, 2011 12:29 PM CDT
Stranded Women Saved By SOS in Sand
Nearby Navy rescues pair on hard-to-reach Hawaiian shore
- An “SOS” note scrawled in the sand actually worked for two stranded women in Hawaii. A tour helicopter noticed the letters and notified naval aviators who were training nearby; they saw the inscription and flashes from a mirror and sent a helicopter and swimmer to pick up the stranded...
SOS Signals Century Mark
Jul 1, 2008 4:52 PM CDT
SOS Signals Century Mark
* * * / - - - / * * * saved thousands of lives in first 100 years
- Take a moment today to honor the 100th birthday of the SOS signal—the Morse code dots and dashes that have saved thousands of lives. The distress call was introduced in 1908 to replace an older code, "CQD," which was easier to confuse with other signals, the
Popular on Newser
David Brooks Posts a Burger Picture, Chaos Ensues
Gross Details Air in Boston College Hazing Case
'When I First Saw It, I Thought This Can't Be Real'
New Suit Says Police Abused Woman in 'Torture Warehouse'
He Picked Up a Bag of Soil, Was Killed by Swarm of Bees
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.