Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Man Sentenced for Faking
Death to Avoid Sex Charges
Nov 29, 2022 1:58 PM CST
Man Sentenced for Faking Death to Avoid Sex Charges
Jacob Blair Scott is already serving an 85-year sentence for abusing 14-year-old
- A man has been sentenced to 21 months in prison for faking his own death in Alabama to avoid criminal charges of impregnating a teenage girl in his home state of Mississippi. Jacob Blair Scott was sentenced Monday in Alabama, the AP reports. US District Judge Jeffrey Beaverstock set the...
Nov 14, 2022 2:35 AM CST
US Paralympic Swimming Champion Allegedly Sexually Abused Teammate
Lawsuit filed against Robert Griswold, 25
- Robert Griswold, a 25-year-old US Paralympic champion swimmer, is accused of grooming a younger teammate with intellectual and developmental disabilities starting last year, then sexually abusing him at the Tokyo Games last summer. A lawsuit filed against Griswold, who has cerebral palsy, also accuses him of continuing the abuse at...
Warren Beatty Accused
of Sexually Abusing
Teen Girl in 1973
Nov 10, 2022 2:00 AM CST
Warren Beatty Accused of Sexually Abusing Teen Girl in 1973
Lawsuit does not name Beatty, but clearly identifies him nonetheless
- It appears Warren Beatty is now among the Hollywood men accused in recent years of sexual abuse. The actor is not explicitly named in the lawsuit filed this week, but the suit identifies the defendant as having been nominated for an Oscar for playing Clyde in
Bonnie & Clyde,
Convicted of Sexual Abuse
Oct 21, 2022 12:32 AM CDT
Ex-UCLA Gynecologist Convicted of Sexual Abuse
Dr. James Heaps was found guilty on some counts, not guilty on others
The former UCLA gynecologist embroiled in a sexual abuse scandal was on Thursday convicted of some of the 21 counts he faced, which involved accusations from seven women. Dr. James Heaps, 65, was found guilty of five counts of sexually abusing female patients and not guilty on seven other...
Tells Court He Was
Raised by a 'Neo-Nazi'
Oct 17, 2022 6:20 PM CDT
Emotional Spacey Tells Court He Was Raised by a 'Neo-Nazi'
Actor takes stand for first time in New York trial
- Kevin Spacey denied the sexual abuse allegations against him Monday in testimony that included an emotional description of an upbringing he described as "humiliating and terrifying." "I have never talked about these things publicly," Spacey said in federal court in New York, NBC News reports. "...
After Telling School of Accused
Priest on Payroll, a Giant Fine
Oct 12, 2022 12:27 PM CDT
After Telling School of Accused Priest on Payroll, a Giant Fine
New Orleans attorney Richard Trahant says he'll appeal the $400K payment to archdiocese
- A lawyer who alerted a Catholic high school to past sexual misconduct by its chaplain has been fined $400,000 for violating confidentiality rules by speaking out. Attorney Richard Trahant says he'll appeal the decision handed down Tuesday, which gives him 30 days to pay the Archdiocese of New...
NHL Has a
to Contend With
Oct 10, 2022 7:38 AM CDT
NHL Has a New Scandal to Contend With
Tampa Bay Lightning suspends Ian Cole after woman alleges he sexually abused her as a minor
- The Tampa Bay Lightning suspended defenseman Ian Cole pending an investigation into allegations made on social media that he sexually abused a woman when she was a minor. The Lightning said Sunday night they were fully cooperating with the NHL on an investigation and were making the decision to suspend...
to $165M Fund
for Victims of
Oct 8, 2022 12:10 PM CDT
Hospital Agrees to $165M Fund for Victims of Gynecologist
'This is just the beginning,' patients' lawyer says
- The hospital system that employed Robert Hadden and 147 women who said the gynecologist sexually abused them have agreed to a $165 million settlement. Columbia University Irving Medical Center and New York-Presbyterian Hospital said the money will go into a compensation fund to be shared among his patients, CNN reports....
Convicted Pedophile Clears
His Name—3 Years After Death
Oct 7, 2022 12:40 PM CDT
Convicted Pedophile Clears His Name—3 Years After Death
New Zealand Supreme Court overturns 1993 child sex abuse conviction of Peter Ellis
- Peter Ellis, a former day-care teacher convicted of 16 counts of child sexual abuse in New Zealand in 1993, maintained his innocence until his 2019 death from bladder cancer. Usually one's death marks the end of their criminal appeal. But not in this case. New Zealand's Supreme Court...
Judge Approves $2.46B Plan
in Abuse Case Against Scouts
Sep 8, 2022 6:50 PM CDT
Judge Approves $2.46B Plan in Abuse Case Against Scouts
More than 80,000 men have filed claims
- A bankruptcy judge on Thursday approved a $2.46 billion reorganization plan proposed by the Boy Scouts of America, which would allow it to keep operating while compensating tens of thousands of men who say they were sexually abused as children while involved in Scouting. Although legal hurdles remain, the...
Prison Chaplain Sentenced
for 'Egregious' Abuse
Aug 31, 2022 6:45 PM CDT
Prison Chaplain Sentenced for 'Egregious' Abuse
James Highhouse abused female inmates at FCI Dublin
- Behind a closed chapel office door inside a federal women's prison in California, a chaplain forced inmates seeking his spiritual guidance to have sex with him, exploiting their faith and their powerlessness behind bars for his own gratification, prosecutors said. James Theodore Highhouse was sentenced Wednesday to seven years...
2 Women Say George Foreman
Raped Them as Teens
Aug 25, 2022 10:27 AM CDT
2 Women Say George Foreman Raped Them as Teens
They say their fathers worked with boxing champ and he groomed them as children
- Former heavyweight boxing champ George Foreman is being sued by two women who say he groomed them when they were children and raped them when they were teenagers in the 1970s. The women, who are both in their early 60s, filed the lawsuit in Los Angeles Superior Court Wednesday, using...
Doctor Convicted of Abusing
Patients Found Dead at Rikers
Aug 15, 2022 6:45 PM CDT
Doctor Convicted of Abusing Patients Found Dead at Rikers
Ricardo Cruciani faced life sentence and another trial next year
- A New York neurologist awaiting sentencing for sexually assaulting his patients was found dead Monday at the Rikers Island jail. A New York City jury had convicted Dr. Ricardo Cruciani of two counts of rape, seven of criminal sexual acts, one of predatory sexual assault, and one of attempted rape,...
After 'Past Mistakes,'
a DOJ Probe Into
Aug 13, 2022 11:00 AM CDT
After 'Past Mistakes,' a DOJ Probe Into Southern Baptist Convention
Nation's largest Protestant denomination says it's under federal investigation for sexual abuse
- In May, church leadership of the Southern Baptist Convention, the nation's biggest denomination of Protestants, put out a damning report by an independent consultant that acknowledged its higher-ups had kept sexual abuse allegations hush-hush for more than 20 years. Shortly after that, the SBC—which claims 14 million members...
Woman Drops Lawsuit
Accusing Dylan of Abuse
Jul 29, 2022 4:10 PM CDT
Woman Drops Lawsuit Accusing Dylan of Abuse
Musician's lawyers said accuser destroyed evidence
: A lawsuit accusing Bob Dylan of sexual abuse in the 1960s has been permanently dropped. The musician's lawyers had said in a hearing Thursday that the woman who filed the suit had destroyed evidence and compromised the case,
reports. His accuser then asked the federal judge to...
Courts OK Sale of Churches
to Compensate Abuse Victims
Jul 18, 2022 6:15 PM CDT
Courts OK Sale of Churches to Compensate Abuse Victims
Newfoundland archdiocese is liable for decades of abuse at Mt. Cashel orphanages
- Canadian courts have approved the sale of 43 Catholic Church properties to raise money to pay victims who were abused decades ago at the Mount Cashel orphanage. The Newfoundland archdiocese's parcels include 13 churches, the CBC reports. It's not clear what will become of many of the properties...
and It Backs
Jul 18, 2022 8:22 AM CDT
A Transcript Is Unsealed, and It Backs Polanski's Claim
Prosecutor testified that judge privately revealed he'd break his promise, send Polanski to prison
- A Los Angeles judge privately told lawyers he would renege on a promise and imprison Roman Polanski for having unlawful sex with a 13-year-old girl in 1977, a former prosecutor testified, setting the stage for the renowned director to flee the US as a fugitive. A previously sealed transcript obtained...
LA County DA:
Jul 13, 2022 7:11 AM CDT
LA County DA: Unseal Secret Transcript in Polanski Case
Filmmaker's lawyers say testimony of ex-prosecutor could free Polanski in 1977 sex abuse case
- Twice, Roman Polanski's legal team has tried to resolve his sexual abuse case in the US, to no avail. They're hoping the third time will be the charm, as the current Los Angeles County district attorney has agreed to unseal an important transcript that his predecessors have kept...
Ghislaine Maxwell Could
Get 55 Years in Prison
Jun 23, 2022 8:02 AM CDT
Ghislaine Maxwell Could Get 55 Years in Prison
She wants 5 years; prosecutors say her claim of being a scapecoat is 'absurd and offensive'
- The "shockingly predatory" Ghislaine Maxwell should be sentenced to 30 years up to the maximum 55 years for helping Jeffrey Epstein sexually abuse four teenage girls over a decade, federal prosecutors write in a sentencing memorandum filed Wednesday in Manhattan federal court. The 60-year-old played an "instrumental role...
Kevin Spacey: I'm Going
to UK to Clear My Name
May 31, 2022 12:54 PM CDT
Kevin Spacey: I'm Going to UK to Clear My Name
Actor says he is 'confident' he will be cleared of latest abuse allegations
Kevin Spacey says he will travel to Britain to defend himself in court against new allegations of sexual abuse and is "confident" he'll be cleared. In a statement released by his attorney on Tuesday, the actor said he will "voluntarily appear in the UK as soon...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Country Singer, 37, Dies in His Sleep on Wedding Night
Comedian Has Survived in NYC Nearly a Month on Just $100
'At Long Last We Have Gained Some Traction on This Most ... Feared Disease'
Black Guest Badgered by Staff Member at Palace Event
She Was Behind Some of Fleetwood Mac's Biggest Hits
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.