Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Like Pepsi? Like
You're in Luck
Dec 19, 2020 9:00 AM CST
Like Pepsi? Like Hot Chocolate? You're in Luck
Soft drink giant is launching Cocoa Cola
- On Thursday, the Pepsi Twitter feed put up a rather intriguing call to action. In honor of bidding adieu to the "worst year ever" and welcoming 2021, the soft drink giant asked for 2,021 retweets of a picture of its latest potential offering: Cocoa Cola, a soda described...
Like Something Out of
Willy Wonka: Cocoa Snow
Aug 18, 2020 1:37 PM CDT
Like Something Out of Willy Wonka: Cocoa Snow
It came down around a Swiss factory after a glitch
- Residents of a Swiss town got a bit of a shock when it started snowing particles of a fine cocoa powder after the ventilation system at a chocolate factory malfunctioned. The Lindt & Spruengli company confirmed local reports Tuesday that there was a minor defect in the cooling ventilation for...
Chocolate So Cheap You're
Almost Obligated to Binge
Dec 12, 2016 4:43 PM CST
Chocolate So Cheap You're Almost Obligated to Binge
Cocoa futures are at 3-year lows
- Packing on the holiday pounds just got cheaper, reports Bloomberg , with cocoa futures at a three-year low driven by a suddenly abundant supply and waning demand in what one portfolio manager calls "a double punch for cocoa." The former is due to rains in West Africa, which produces...
Apr 1, 2015 8:33 AM CDT
Behind Grandma's Criminal Charges: 25-Year-Old Hot Chocolate
Woman reportedly served family drink that expired in 1990
- What should have been a sweet treat has reportedly resulted in charges for a 77-year-old grandmother in Italy. Three kids and at least two adults—one of whom was the woman herself—got sick after they drank the stuff, which came from a bag that expired 25 years ago, UPI...
Thousands to Take
'Chocolate Pills' in
Huge 4-Year Test
Mar 17, 2014 7:32 AM CDT
Thousands to Take 'Chocolate Pills' in Huge 4-Year Test
Study to see whether high concentrations of cocoa flavanols promote heart health
- Surely you've heard that chocolate can be good for you : Now researchers are aiming to take all of dark chocolate's healthy components and pack them into pill form, in an attempt to prevent heart attacks, strokes, and heart disease. In previous studies, cocoa flavanols have been found to...
Aug 8, 2013 1:22 PM CDT
New Alzheimer's Treatment: Hot Cocoa?
Study indicates that it can improve patients with impaired neurological coupling
- Here's some medicine that will go down easy: A new study suggests that drinking hot cocoa can help seniors sharpen their memories, at least if their brains already suffer some impairment. Researchers had a group of 60 seniors drink two cups of hot cocoa a day, with half getting...
Is War on Drugs
Bad for Chocolate?
Apr 26, 2012 9:06 AM CDT
Is War on Drugs Bad for Chocolate?
Gourmands fight for native Peruvian cocoa
- To cut down on production of the coca plants behind cocaine, the US has pushed an alternative crop to Peruvian farmers: a high-yielding cocoa hybrid. And while CCN-51 has had commercial benefits, there's one problem, chocolate experts say—it just doesn't taste that good. Instead, these connoisseurs say,...
Healthier Than Juice
Feb 7, 2011 2:10 PM CST
Dark Chocolate Healthier Than Juice ...Says Hershey
Call it a 'super-fruit,' researchers say
- Chocolate lovers, rejoice: Your beloved treat may actually be healthier than fruit juice. A comparison of cocoa products to fruit juice powders suggests dark chocolate has more antioxidant power than juices, as well as more of certain chemicals that are good for your heart, the
New York Daily News
Mystery Investor Buys Every
Cocoa Bean in Europe
Jul 19, 2010 5:30 AM CDT
Mystery Investor Buys Every Cocoa Bean in Europe
Who's hoarding all that cocoa, and why?
- The supply of cocoa beans sitting in warehouses across Europe could fill more than 5 Titanics, and as of last week it all belongs to one mysterious figure. An anonymous investor sparked intrigue last week when he, she, or they bought 241,000 tons of cocoa—essentially, every cocoa bean...
Binge Now: Chocolate
Prices May Spike
Feb 13, 2009 10:52 AM CST
Binge Now: Chocolate Prices May Spike
Soaring cocoa prices slim down candy makers' profit margins
- Soaring cocoa prices have left chocolate makers wondering how far they can hike prices without souring business, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. Crop woes in Africa have kept cocoa pricey despite the global commodities slump. Chocolate companies are mostly holding prices steady for now but many are expected to fatten...
Quest on for Chocolate Genome
Jun 26, 2008 6:44 AM CDT
Quest on for Chocolate Genome
Mars aims to unlock genetic code to develop hardier cacao trees
- Candy giant Mars is investing $10 million in a 5-year research project to unlock the secrets of chocolate's genetic code—the cocoa genome—as the first stage in developing cacao trees that can produce more, survive droughts, and combat disease. Mars intends to make the results public to stop key...
Popular on Newser
Dianne Feinstein Is Dead at 90
27 Years After Tupac Shakur Killing, a Murder Charge
House Approves Amendment to Make Defense Secretary's Salary $1
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
Trump's Comment Sparks Steps by Milley
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.