Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
General Who Captured
Che Guevara Dead at 84
May 8, 2023 3:00 AM CDT
General Who Captured Che Guevara Dead at 84
Gary Prado Salmón had been struggling with health issues
- The Bolivian general who captured Cuban revolutionary Ernesto "Che" Guevara in 1967, leading the military operation that took down Guevara's communist insurrection, has died at age 84. The BBC reports that Gary Prado Salmón "became a national hero" after Guevara's capture; the guerrilla fighter was...
After Losing Cat,
Airline Calls in Psychic
Jan 12, 2023 1:52 PM CST
After Losing Cat, Airline Calls in Psychic
State-owned Bolivian airline lost passenger's beloved pet more than a month ago
- Bolivia's national airline has called in a pet psychic in the ongoing search for Tito, a cat that went missing from a flight more than a month ago. Owner Andrea Iturre says Boliviana de Aviacion—BoA—wouldn't allow her to bring a pet carrier into the cabin on...
Are a Boon—Maybe
Aug 21, 2022 2:40 PM CDT
South America's Lithium Reserves Are a Boon—Maybe
'Wall Street Journal' looks at the obstacles in extracting one of world's biggest reserves
- As the appetite for electric vehicles grows, the
Wall Street Journal
sees an obstacle in the way of production expanding at a similar clip: South America. The continent is one of three places on Earth—the others being Australia and China—that have substantial reserves of lithium, the metal needed...
Archaeologists Find 'Lost
Civilization' in Bolivia
May 29, 2022 4:20 PM CDT
Archaeologists Find 'Lost Civilization' in Bolivia
Discovery upends assumptions and demonstrates game-changing technology
- When 16th-century Spanish missionaries first wandered into the tropical lowlands of modern Bolivia, they found a few scattered villages, and everyone since then assumed the area was too inhospitable to support large communities. The region has two harsh seasons, extremely dry and extremely wet, and the dense forest made exploration...
Paid Student Leader's
32 Years in College May End
May 23, 2022 2:15 PM CDT
Paid Student Leader's 32 Years in College May End
Bolivia judge orders investigation of 52-year-old student with government salary
- Max Mendoza has been a remarkably persistent student—and a profitable one: He's been enrolled at a public university in Bolivia for 32 years but never graduated, much of it while being paid a government salary to serve as a student leader. On Monday, though, he was detained and...
The Man Who Killed
Che Guevara Has Died
Mar 11, 2022 12:15 AM CST
The Man Who Killed Che Guevara Has Died
Mario Teran carried out the order of the Bolivian president
- Mario Teran "simply complied with his duty as a sergeant of the army," says a retired Bolivian general—but the order he carried out was one he reportedly later described as causing "the worst moment of my life." Teran, the man who executed Ernesto "Che"...
Aug 23, 2021 10:00 AM CDT
Ex-President of Bolivia Recovering After Apparent Suicide Attempt
Jeanine Anez, charged with 'genocide,' in stable condition after apparently cutting her arms
- On Friday, Bolivian prosecutors charged Jeanine Anez—the former president of Bolivia, already in detention after being accused in March of leading a coup against another ex-Bolivian president, Evo Morales—with "genocide." Police are now saying the 54-year-old Anez tried to kill herself over the weekend in jail....
Mar 13, 2021 6:00 AM CST
Nation's Ex-President Arrested: 'Political Persecution Has Begun'
Jeanine Anez denies she replaced Evo Morales in Bolivian 'coup,' calling it a 'constitutional succession'
- Bolivian President Evo Morales served for nearly 14 years before he was forced to resign in 2019 amid allegations of electoral fraud after his reelection victory. Now, the lawmaker who took over for him has been arrested. Jeanine Anez, the country's former interim president, posted a link Friday on...
Victory by Morales' Party
Could Swing Bolivia Left
Oct 19, 2020 4:58 PM CDT
Victory by Morales' Party Could Swing Bolivia Left
Arce claims victory and suggests stopping the nation's shift to the right
- Evo Morales' party has claimed victory in a presidential election that appears to sharply shift Bolivia away from the conservative policies of the US-backed interim government that took power after the leftist leader resigned and fled the country a year ago. The leading rival of Morales's handpicked successor, Luis...
Oct 12, 2020 7:05 PM CDT
Protesters in Mexico: 'We Were Not Discovered'
Demonstrators in several nations mark Columbus Day in the streets
- Mexicans have never had much affection for Cristopher Columbus, and officials were coy about why his statue was removed from the capital's main boulevard before Monday's observances of Columbus Day, which saw protests in several Latin American nations. Unlike in other cities where monuments to the 15th-century explorer...
Another World Leader
Has the Virus
Jul 10, 2020 12:31 AM CDT
Another World Leader Has the Virus
Bolivia’s interim president tests positive for COVID-19
- Bolivia’s interim president, Jeanine Áñez, has tested positive for COVID-19. "I feel good, I feel strong, I will continue to work virtually from my isolation," she says in a video posted to her Twitter account, per NPR . Three cabinet ministers in her administration have also...
Teacher Breaks the Mold
With Online Classes
Jun 13, 2020 1:00 PM CDT
Teacher Breaks the Mold With Online Classes
Jorge Manolo Villarroel's online classes have actually become popular
- Sometimes, Jorge Manolo Villarroel is Spiderman. Sometimes, he's the Flash, or the Green Lantern. But he’s always a teacher—one who lives out his childhood dreams by dressing up as superheroes for the locked-down students who attend his virtual classes, the AP reports. His classes have become so...
in His Wake
Nov 12, 2019 5:10 PM CST
Morales Arrives in Mexico, Leaving Chaos in His Wake
Opposition leader declares herself Bolivia's interim president
- An opposition leader in Bolivia's Senate has declared herself the country's interim president after the resignation of Evo Morales, the AP reports. The 52-year-old Jeanine Añez, the Senate's second vice president, took temporary control of the Senate late Tuesday, putting her next in line for the...
President Who Had
Fairy-Tale Rise Resigns
Nov 10, 2019 3:46 PM CST
President Who Had Fairy-Tale Rise Resigns
Fast-moving developments lead to Bolivian President Evo Morales' exit
- Bolivian President Evo Morales announced his resignation Sunday under mounting pressure from the military and the public after his re-election victory triggered weeks of fraud allegations and deadly protests. The decision came after a day of fast-moving developments, including an offer from Morales to hold a new election. But the...
Woman Kidnapped in Late '80s
Finally Rescued in Bolivia
Dec 26, 2018 9:29 AM CST
Woman Kidnapped in Late '80s Finally Rescued in Bolivia
She has been reunited with family, police say
- An Argentinian woman who was kidnapped as a teenager in the late 1980s and taken out of the country has finally been reunited with her family, police say. In a statement, police said they rescued the 45-year-old woman and her 9-year-old son from human traffickers in southern Bolivia after a...
Monkeys Help Man Survive
9 Days Lost in Amazon
Mar 24, 2017 5:45 PM CDT
Monkeys Help Man Survive 9 Days Lost in Amazon
The tourist doesn't know how he got lost; locals blame a mischievous sprite
- Maykool Acuña spent nine days lost in the rainforest—possibly due the machinations of an evil tree sprite—but was kept alive by a group of helpful monkeys.
, whose reporter was embedded with the team searching for Acuña, has the highly improbable story. Acuña was...
The Deepening Mystery of
Eastern Airlines Flight 980
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Oct 30, 2016 6:33 AM CDT
The Deepening Mystery of Eastern Airlines Flight 980
Plane slammed into a Bolivian mountain in murky circumstances in 1985
- A mysterious plane crash in nearly inaccessible terrain. A foreign government fails to investigate thoroughly. Missing black boxes. No bodies or blood. An airline that was later implicated in large-scale cocaine smuggling, then went bankrupt. And... a bunch of crocodile skins? These are the mysteries that drew Americans Dan Futrell...
Bolivian Official Tries to
Mediate Talks, Ends Up Dead
Aug 26, 2016 12:46 AM CDT
Bolivian Official Tries to Mediate Talks, Ends Up Dead
Rodolfo Illanes was kidnapped, beaten to death
- Striking miners in Bolivia kidnapped and beat to death the country's deputy interior minister after he traveled to the area to mediate in the bitter conflict over mining laws, officials say. Government Minister Carlos Romero called it a "cowardly and brutal killing" and asked that the body of...
Our Taste in Music
Is More Nurture
Jul 15, 2016 5:35 PM CDT
Our Taste in Music Is More Nurture Than Nature
Love or hate Bjork? Bach? Study refutes idea that preferences are hardwired
- There's no accounting for taste—but if you want to blame anything on how you were raised, your taste in music could rank up there, a new study suggests. In music, chords can be broken down into many categories, two of which are called "consonant" and "dissonant....
Jun 16, 2016 7:54 AM CDT
Bolivia to Bill Gates: Keep Your Stupid Chickens
Country offended by donation offer, says it's doing just fine on poultry front
- Bill Gates recently offered to donate 100,000 hens to poor countries around the world, but one South American nation looked his gift chickens in the mouth and began squawking. "How can he think we are living 500 years ago, in the middle of the jungle not knowing how...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Law Would Jail Parents Whose Children Aren't Vaccinated
She's Expected to Be a Senator in 2 Days
Incurable Disease Plaguing Young Stone Cutters
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
Married Couple Killed by Grizzly Bear in Banff
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.