Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Trump's Looming Fight
With California Has Arrived
Aug 2, 2018 11:39 AM CDT
Trump's Looming Fight With California Has Arrived
Administration revealed its proposal to roll back Obama rules on fuel standards
- News broke in late March that the EPA was preparing to announce plans to weaken landmark fuel-efficiency goals put in place by the Obama administration, and that day has come to pass. The Trump administration on Thursday formally released its proposal , a joint effort with the EPA and Transportation...
Woman With Toddler
Confronts Pruitt During Lunch
Jul 3, 2018 2:37 AM CDT
Woman With Toddler Confronts Pruitt During Lunch
She tells EPA chief he should resign
- Scott Pruitt became the latest Trump administration official to have an uncomfortable dining experience when he was confronted Monday by a woman—and her 2-year-old son. Kristin Mink says Pruitt was three tables away from her when she had lunch at the Teaism restaurant in Washington, DC, and she decided...
Latest Pruitt Revelation
Jun 5, 2018 3:52 PM CDT
Latest Pruitt Revelation Involves Chick-fil-A
EPA head used aide to help him as he tried to get his wife a franchisee position
- The latest odd revelation in the saga of Scott Pruitt's activities since becoming the head of the Environmental Protection Agency: Pruitt at one point attempted to use "his official position and EPA staff" to get his wife a job, as the
puts it. That job? Chick-fil-A...
The EPA Spent $1,560 on
a Dozen Fountain Pens
Jun 2, 2018 5:30 AM CDT
The EPA Spent $1,560 on a Dozen Fountain Pens
Plus $1,670 on personalized journals
- More controversial expenditures at the Environmental Protection Agency have been revealed thanks to a Freedom of Information Act request: Last year, one of EPA chief Scott Pruitt's top aides spent $1,560 on fountain pens and $1,670 on personalized journals, the
reports. The order from Tiny...
Pruitt's New EPA Rule Would
Make Some Science Off-Limits
Apr 25, 2018 7:56 AM CDT
Pruitt's New EPA Rule Would Make Some Science Off-Limits
EPA head says he's pushing for transparency in decision-making
- There's a contentious new issue surrounding Environmental Protection Agency head Scott Pruitt, and this one has nothing to do with security . Pruitt on Tuesday suggested a new rule that would allow the EPA to only make use of scientific studies whose data has been made publicly available in full....
White House Investigates
Pruitt's $43K Phone Booth
Apr 19, 2018 1:00 AM CDT
White House Investigates Pruitt's $43K Phone Booth
39 senators call for EPA chief to step down
- Scott Pruitt's week isn't getting any easier: White House budget director Mick Mulvaney said Wednesday that he's planning to investigate the embattled EPA chief's activities, which include allegedly violating the law by spending $43,000 in taxpayer funds on a soundproof phone booth for his office,...
$43K Phone Booth
Broke the Law
Apr 16, 2018 1:54 PM CDT
Scott Pruitt's $43K Phone Booth Broke the Law
Because the EPA didn't notify Congress, a government watchdog finds
- It may be a fresh week for Scott Pruitt , but it's not one void of uncomfortable headlines. ABC News reports a government watchdog has determined the EPA "violated section 710” of the Financial Services and General Government Appropriations Act when it spent $43,000 on a "secure"...
Report on Threats
Apr 11, 2018 4:33 AM CDT
He Approved Report on Threats Against Pruitt, Was Fired
EPA implies timing of Mario Caraballo's dismissal was coincidence
- A career staffer with the EPA is out of a job, and the timing of Mario Caraballo's dismissal is grabbing headlines. Politico spoke with two sources who say the deputy associate administrator of the EPA's Office of Homeland Security was the one who signed off on an internal...
Scott Pruitt Has 20-Member
Full-Time Security Detail
Apr 9, 2018 7:01 AM CDT
Scott Pruitt Has 20-Member Full-Time Security Detail
AP reports that's more than 3 times the part-time contingent his predecessor had
- Environmental Protection Agency chief Scott Pruitt's concern with his safety came at a steep cost to taxpayers as his swollen security detail blew through overtime budgets and at times diverted officers away from investigating environmental crimes. Altogether, the agency spent millions of dollars for a 20-member full-time detail that...
EPA Prepares to Gut Obama's
Signature Move on Autos
Mar 30, 2018 6:32 AM CDT
EPA Prepares to Gut Obama's Signature Move on Autos
Chief Scott Pruitt plans to weaken fuel efficiency standards set to go in place
- The EPA is preparing to make a big move as early as next week to weaken landmark fuel-efficiency goals put in place by the Obama administration, reports the
New York Times
. The Obama-era rules would have required cars and SUVs to hit 55mpg by 2025, but Trump and EPA chief...
EPA Chief Says He Flies
First-Class for Security
Feb 15, 2018 5:23 AM CST
EPA Chief Says He Flies First-Class for Security
Scott Pruitt blames 'toxic' political environment
- Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Scott Pruitt says he needs to fly first-class because of a toxic environment—the political one. He says he wasn't involved in the decision to put him in first class when he travels, which he says was made after some unpleasant interactions with travelers opposed...
New EPA Chief 'Always Has'
Fake Nose With Her: Daughter
Jan 27, 2018 2:19 PM CST
New EPA Chief 'Always Has' Fake Nose With Her: Daughter
Cathy Stepp's idea to have daughter introduce her to staff may have backfired
- Many employees of the Environmental Protection Agency's Midwest region were already concerned about their new boss' history of making things easier for polluters while sweeping humanity's responsibility for climate change under the rug. Now they also must cope with the unexpected knowledge that she apparently "always has"...
Report: EPA Chief Receiving
Oct 24, 2017 7:31 AM CDT
Report: EPA Chief Receiving 'Unprecedented' Security
Agency says 24/7 protection is needed because Scott Pruitt is receiving lots of death threats
- Scott Pruitt's travel , and how he's been traveling , has already come under fire. Now the EPA chief is under the microscope for what CNN calls an "unprecedented level" of protection. That includes the reported hiring of 12 new security officers, which TPM notes would bring the total...
'The War on Coal Is Over':
EPA Rolls Back Obama Plan
Oct 9, 2017 11:10 AM CDT
'The War on Coal Is Over': EPA Rolls Back Obama Plan
Scott Pruitt says previous White House exceeded authority with 'clean power plan'
- The Trump administration will abandon the Obama-era Clean Power Plan aimed at reducing greenhouse gas emissions, EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt said Monday. "The war on coal is over," he said, per the
New York Times
. Speaking in Kentucky coal country, Pruitt said he will sign a proposed rule...
EPA Quietly Pulls Waste From
Superfund Sites Hit by Harvey
Sep 24, 2017 8:03 AM CDT
EPA Quietly Pulls Waste From Superfund Sites Hit by Harvey
Removed 517 containers of 'unidentified, potentially hazardous material'
- The Environmental Protection Agency says it has recovered 517 containers of "unidentified, potentially hazardous material" from highly contaminated toxic waste sites in Texas that flooded last month during Hurricane Harvey. The agency has not said which Superfund sites the material came from, why the contaminants at issue have not...
Report: Houston Superfund
Sites Are Under Water
Sep 3, 2017 3:33 AM CDT
Report: Houston Superfund Sites Are Under Water
EPA confirms 13 of 41 'experiencing possible damage' due to Harvey
- The flooding of Superfund sites in and around Houston caused by Harvey has raised concerns about whether floodwaters had also washed in pollution from the sites, reports the AP , which visited several highly toxic waste sites in and around Houston. All had been inundated with water, in some cases many...
Aug 8, 2017 5:44 AM CDT
Major Federal Climate Change Report Leaked
Report from 13 different agencies warns of drastic effects
- A report on climate change from scientists at 13 federal agencies has been leaked to the
New York Times
—and it's firmly at odds with President Trump and Environmental Protection Agency chief Scott Pruitt's stated positions on the issue. The draft seen by...
EPA's Scott Pruitt Spending
Lots of His Time in Oklahoma
Jul 24, 2017 8:17 AM CDT
EPA's Scott Pruitt Spending Lots of His Time in Oklahoma
Travel records say he was there, or traveling there, half the spring
- A watchdog group suggests that EPA chief Scott Pruitt is spending an awful lot of time in his home state of Oklahoma. The Environmental Integrity Project, which was created by former EPA officials, took a look at Pruitt's travel records from March to May and discovered that he spent...
Court: EPA Can't Delay
Obama-Era Methane Rule
Jul 4, 2017 12:37 AM CDT
Court: EPA Can't Delay Obama-Era Methane Rule
Pruitt overstepped authority, DC court says
- A federal appeals court ruled Monday that the head of the Environmental Protection Agency overstepped his authority in trying to delay implementation of an Obama administration rule requiring oil and gas companies to monitor and reduce methane leaks. In a split decision, the three-judge panel from the US Court of...
EPA Chief Met With Dow CEO
Before Pesticide Decision
Jun 28, 2017 11:40 AM CDT
EPA Chief Met With Dow CEO Before Pesticide Decision
Rep downplays meeting; Pruitt says he nixed push for ban based on 'meaningful science'
- The EPA has faced no shortage of criticism over the past several months, but reproaches appear to be growing louder based on a slew of revelations this week. The AP reports on a previously undisclosed meeting EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt had with Andrew Liveris, the CEO of Dow Chemical, three...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Boy Dies After 'the Most Exciting Moment of His Life'
Baby Didn't Have Ticket for Flight. His Parents Left Him Behind
Woman Dies After a Fall on Southwest Airlines' Jet Bridge
1 Killed, 2 Hurt in Rampage on DC Metro
Dances With Wolves Actor Arrested in Sex Cult Case
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.