Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Mind on Complaint
Against NY AG
Jan 20, 2023 1:07 PM CST
Trump Changes Mind on Complaint Against NY AG
$900K sanction from judge on 'frivolous' lawsuits the day before may have spurred the move
- A complaint filed by Donald Trump against New York Attorney General Letitia James deemed "vexatious" late last year by a federal judge has been withdrawn by the former president's legal team. The Hill reports that the lawsuit was pulled back Friday after Trump and his attorneys were hit...
'Despicable' Former Judges
Ordered to Pay Victims $206M
Aug 17, 2022 2:15 PM CDT
'Despicable' Former Judges Ordered to Pay Victims $206M
Pennsylvania judges received kickbacks for sending children to for-profit jails
- Two former Pennsylvania judges who orchestrated a scheme to send children to for-profit jails in exchange for kickbacks were ordered to pay more than $200 million to hundreds of people they victimized in one of the worst judicial scandals in US history. US District Judge Christopher Conner awarded $106 million...
Judge Denies Protection Order,
Adds a Lecture on Marriage
Apr 22, 2022 1:34 PM CDT
Judge Denies Protection Order, Adds a Lecture on Marriage
College student says she was blamed for assault in court
- A college student who went to court in North Carolina for protection from another student who she said had sexually assaulted and stalked her did not receive it. She did get a lecture from the judge about "marriage and commitment," however. Kerry Sutton, the plaintiff's attorney, said...
Judges Reveal Reasons
for Djokovic's Deportation
Jan 20, 2022 10:25 AM CST
Judges Reveal Reasons for Djokovic's Deportation
They backed idea that 'he might foster anti-vaccination sentiment'
- Amid uproar in Serbia , the three Australian judges who allowed Novak Djokovic to be deported from the country on the eve of the Australian Open are now sharing their reasoning: Essentially, they backed the idea that the presence of the top-ranked men's tennis player, unvaccinated against COVID-19, would set...
Judge Tosses Teen's Rape
Conviction, Blames Parents
Jan 14, 2022 7:56 AM CST
Judge Tosses Teen's Rape Conviction, Blames Parents
Illinois judge Robert Adrian said it would be 'unjust' to sentence teen to prison time
- At a bench trial in Illinois in October, a 16-year-old girl testified that 18-year-old Drew Clinton held a pillow over her face and raped her after she fell asleep at a graduation party. Adams County Judge Robert Adrian found Clinton guilty of criminal sexual assault—but he threw his own...
Judge Judy Will Soon
Be Banging Her Gavel Anew
Sep 10, 2021 9:43 AM CDT
Judge Judy Will Soon Be Banging Her Gavel Anew
Judy Sheindlin, and her granddaughter, will be coming to IMDb TV in November
- Judge Judy Sheindlin is returning to television on Nov. 1 with a new red robe, a granddaughter in tow, and the challenge of competing with herself. She announced on Thursday the start date and name of her new show,
, which will be available weekdays on the little-known IMDb...
Facing Death, Evacuation Race
on for Afghan Women Judges
Aug 25, 2021 8:45 AM CDT
Facing Death, Evacuation Race on for Afghan Women Judges
Tens of thousands could be left behind in Kabul as Taliban says no more Afghans can evacuate
- A retired US judge working 20 hours a day to evacuate some 250 female judges and their families from Afghanistan says her network is quickly running out of time. President Biden said Tuesday that he would stick to the Aug. 31 deadline for removing Americans and endangered Afghans from the...
Man Doesn't Know
His Mic Is On, Insults
Judge in Hearing
May 6, 2021 7:27 AM CDT
Man Doesn't Know His Mic Is On, Insults Judge in Hearing
Liberty Mutual insurance adjuster monitoring trial via videoconference calls judge an 'idiot'
- A California courtroom became the latest venue for a hot-mic incident last month when an insurance adjuster insulted the judge while monitoring the proceedings remotely. The
reports that Santa Clara County Superior Court Judge Roberta Hayashi was trying to figure out where jurors should be seated during an...
Judge Steps Down
'All Lives Matter'
Apr 19, 2021 8:44 AM CDT
Judge Steps Down After Declaring 'All Lives Matter'
Colorado's Natalie Chase earns rare public censure for opining on racial justice, using n-word on car ride
- It's exceedingly rare for a judge in Colorado to receive a public censure, but Natalie Chase just earned one, with behavior that's also now led to her leaving the bench. CBS4 reports that the Colorado Supreme Court has accepted the Arapahoe County district court judge's resignation, as...
Mar 30, 2021 10:45 AM CDT
How Biden's First Judicial Nominees Differ From Trump's
There aren't so many white guys, for starters
- President Biden on Tuesday announced his intent to nominate a "trailblazing slate" of judicial nominees, a field that includes Black, Muslim American, and Asian American Pacific Islander candidates for federal courts and for the Superior Court of the District of Columbia, per the AP . The White House said the...
Judge Whose Son
Was Gunned Down
in case you missed it
Feb 21, 2021 7:41 AM CST
Judge Whose Son Was Gunned Down Makes Chilling Revelation
Esther Salas says killer Roy Den Hollander also had his sights set on SCOTUS' Sonia Sotomayor
- Last July, Daniel Anderl, the 20-year-old son of US District Court Judge Esther Salas, was murdered at their North Brunswick, NJ, home by Roy Den Hollander, a lawyer who'd posed as a FedEx deliveryman. Now, in a
episode set to air in full Sunday on CBS, Salas...
After Telling Woman
to 'Close Your Legs'
May 27, 2020 6:16 AM CDT
Judge Banned After Telling Woman to 'Close Your Legs'
NJ Superior Court Judge John Russo can't preside over courtroom anymore
- A judge who suggested that a woman seeking a restraining order could "close your legs" to prevent a sexual assault was removed from the bench Tuesday by the New Jersey Supreme Court and permanently barred from presiding over a courtroom. The unanimous decision cited "repeated and serious acts...
Judge to Lawyers: You
Still Need to Get Dressed
Apr 14, 2020 1:23 PM CDT
Judge to Lawyers: You Still Need to Get Dressed
'One female attorney appeared still in bed, still under the covers,' he complains
- A Florida judge has one request for attorneys showing up for court hearings via Zoom: Get out of bed and put on some clothes! Broward Circuit Judge Dennis Bailey made the plea in a letter published by the Weston Bar Association, the AP reports. "It is remarkable how many...
Heat on Barr
Feb 18, 2020 10:45 AM CST
Heat on Barr Grows as Judges Call Special Meeting
National association of federal judges is worried about intervention in political cases
- The pressure continues to be turned up on Attorney General William Barr. The independent Federal Judges Association is convening an emergency meeting Tuesday to address concerns about how the Justice Department and President Trump have intervened in high-profile political cases, reports
. (Two recent examples were the cases of...
High Court Warning: Poland
May Be Forced Out of EU
Dec 18, 2019 7:47 AM CST
High Court Warning: Poland May Be Forced Out of EU
Ruling party's judicial reform proposals could lead to issues with European Union law
- Poland's ruling party is attempting to overhaul how its judiciary functions, but the country's supreme court is warning those reform proposals could force Poland out of the European Union. Per the BBC and Euronews , the reforms put forth by the conservative Law and Justice (PiS) party would allow...
Judges' Visit to White Castle
Ends With Fight, 2 Shot
Nov 15, 2019 8:12 AM CST
Judges' Visit to White Castle Ends With Fight, 2 Shot
Indiana judges got involved in a late-night brawl after night of drinking, failed visit to strip club
- Look out, Florida, Indiana is coming for your "Land of Weird Crimes" title: NPR reports three judges there have now been suspended without pay after a May 1 incident that saw them act "in an injudicious manner," per a Tuesday decision from the Indiana Supreme Court . Per...
a Bible, and Herself
Oct 4, 2019 10:16 AM CDT
Judge Hands Amber Guyger a Bible, and Herself Controversy
Critics say Tammy Kemp shouldn't have been 'proselytizing' in court as a government worker
- Convicted murderer Amber Guyger got a "remarkable" hug from the brother of her victim, Botham Jean, during her sentencing hearing Wednesday, and then she got one from presiding Judge Tammy Kemp. Now Kemp is facing complaints, both for the hug but also for a possible legal violation. With one...
Judge: Teen Accused of Rape
'Comes From Good Family'
Jul 3, 2019 6:11 AM CDT
Judge: Teen Accused of Rape 'Comes From Good Family'
James Troiano rebuked by appeals court for noting alleged rapist's likeliness to go to 'good college'
- The similarities to Brock Turner haven't gone unnoticed. The
New York Times
references the Turner case, and others, in mentioning the latest judge to come under fire for the handling of a sexual assault case. In this instance, it's New Jersey Superior Court Judge James Troiano who's...
Sen. Collins: No Way I'm
Backing Trump's Nominee
Jun 15, 2019 3:30 PM CDT
Sen. Collins: No Way I'm Backing Trump's Nominee
The Maine senator refuses to support Matthew Kacsmaryk
- Sen. Susan Collins is raising media eyebrows with her opposition to one of President Trump's federal judicial nominations, the
reports. The Maine Republican said Friday she won't back federal nominee Matthew Kacsmaryk, who has severely criticized gay and transgender people, as a district judge in the...
Apr 5, 2019 10:18 AM CDT
Judge Faces Suspension After 'Close Your Legs' Remark
Ethics panel: Suspend John Russo after 'egregious' questioning of alleged assault victim
- "Emotional immaturity" has been cited by a New Jersey Supreme Court advisory panel as a factor in its recommendation that a family court judge be suspended without pay for three months and receive training in "appropriate courtroom demeanor." The ethics committee's main bone of contention with...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Boy Dies After 'the Most Exciting Moment of His Life'
Baby Didn't Have Ticket for Flight. His Parents Left Him Behind
1 Killed, 2 Hurt in Rampage on DC Metro
CDC: Stop Using These Eye Drops
Video Shown at Trial Seems to Contradict Alex Murdaugh's Alibi
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.