Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Russia Denounces Bombing
of Its Embassy in Kabul
Sep 5, 2022 3:05 PM CDT
Russia Denounces Bombing of Its Embassy in Kabul
Islamic State ally opposed to Taliban has been suspected in series of attacks
- A suicide bombing outside the Russian Embassy in the Afghan capital of Kabul on Monday killed two members of the embassy staff and at least one Afghan civilian in a rare attack on a foreign diplomatic mission in Afghanistan. The blast went off at the entrance to the embassy's...
Aug 31, 2022 5:30 PM CDT
Fallen Marine's Family Refiles Suit Against Alec Baldwin
Widow who attended says she's no insurrectionist
- A defamation lawsuit against Alec Baldwin that was dismissed in Wyoming in May has been refiled in New York. The widow and two sisters of fallen Marine Rylee McCollum accuse the actor of making false charges against them, including calling Jiennah McCollum, who was married to Lance Cpl. Rylee McCollum,...
Blast Kills Cleric, 20 Others
During Evening Prayers
Aug 18, 2022 4:10 AM CDT
Blast Kills Cleric, 20 Others During Evening Prayers
Witnesses say suicide bomber attacked Kabul mosque
- A bombing at a mosque in the Afghan capital of Kabul during evening prayers killed at least 21 people, including a prominent cleric, and wounded at least 33 others, eyewitnesses and police said Thursday. There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack Wednesday night, the latest to strike...
Afghan Cleric Killed by Bomb
Concealed in Prosthetic Leg
Aug 12, 2022 8:50 AM CDT
Afghan Cleric Killed by Bomb Concealed in Prosthetic Leg
It's a 'very huge loss' for the country, Taliban official says of death claimed by ISIS
- An Afghan cleric who supported the Taliban and went up against the Islamic State has been killed in a suicide bombing claimed by that same group. Sheikh Rahimullah Haqqani died at an Islamic seminary in Kabul when a man detonated a bomb hidden in his prosthetic leg, reports Reuters . In...
After Kabul Strike, Aid Worker
Recognizes Former Home
Aug 4, 2022 5:00 AM CDT
After Kabul Strike, Aid Worker Recognizes Former Home
'It was a nice balcony,' he says after strike that killed Ayman al-Zawahri
- When news reports showed the Kabul villa where al-Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahri was killed in a US drone strike Sunday, American aid worker Dan Smock was startled. He recognized the distinctive home he shared with several colleagues while working on a US government-funded project. "Reports said the CIA had...
Aug 2, 2022 3:16 PM CDT
Al-Zawahri's Killing Reveals a Worrisome Alliance
Al-Qaeda leader must have been hiding in Kabul with Taliban's blessing: Fred Kaplan
- For journalist Fred Kaplan, the killing of al-Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahri stands out not so much for the event itself. Al-Qaeda "is far from the potent global force that it was a decade ago," writes Kaplan at Slate , and while al-Zawahri certainly had a key role in planning...
Pentagon Adjusts Account
of Kabul Airport Attack
Feb 4, 2022 5:20 PM CST
Pentagon Adjusts Account of Kabul Airport Attack
Investigation concludes that a single bomber was responsible
- The mass killing at the Kabul airport last August, as US forces were withdrawing from Afghanistan, was carried out by a single attacker, a Pentagon investigation has found. At least 170 Afghans and 13 American troops were killed in the blast . The Pentagon report says it was caused by one...
As Kabul Fell, a Last-Minute
Scramble to Evacuate: Report
Feb 2, 2022 8:50 AM CST
As Kabul Fell, a Last-Minute Scramble to Evacuate: Report
Critics question whether better planning from the Biden administration could have saved lives
- The Biden administration was working out crucial details of the civilian evacuation from Kabul even as the Taliban descended on the Afghan city, according to a document obtained by Axios . The National Security Council's summary notes from the Aug. 14 meeting of the Deputies Small Group—chaired by Homeland...
It's Tough to Get Out of Kabul,
but These Americans Just Did
Jan 27, 2022 6:29 AM CST
It's Tough to Get Out of Kabul, but These Americans Just Did
Charter flight thought to have dozens of US citizens heads to Qatar amid flight groundings by Taliban
- Since November, Americans have had a tough time getting out of Kabul after the Taliban grounded most flights. This week, a chartered flight paid for by the US State Department and run by Qatar's Ministry of Foreign Affairs was finally able to depart the Afghan capital for Qatar with...
New Video Shows
US Drone Strike
That Killed 7 Kids
Jan 20, 2022 8:31 AM CST
New Video Shows US Drone Strike That Killed 7 Kids
'We deeply regret the loss of life,' says US Central Command rep
- The Pentagon has released video footage of last year's botched drone strike in Kabul, Afghanistan, which killed 10 civilians, seven of them children. In two silent videos obtained by the
New York Times
through a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit, two drones observe a car backing into a walled...
The Strange Fate of the Baby
Handed Over Kabul Airport Wall
Jan 9, 2022 7:15 PM CST
The Strange Fate of the Baby Handed Over Kabul Airport Wall
Little Sohail Ahmadi spent months with a stranger before being reunited with his grandfather
- Desperate parents handed their baby handed over a barbed-wire topped wall to a soldier during the fall of Kabul Aug. 19, 2021, and couldn’t find him afterward . Finally, they know where he is. Sohail Ahmadi’s parents handed their 2-month-old infant over out of fear he would be crushed...
Dec 13, 2021 5:14 PM CST
Pentagon Won't Punish Anyone for Civilian Deaths
10 people were killed in Kabul after US commanders decided aid worker was with ISIS-K
- The Pentagon won't discipline any US personnel involved in the mistaken drone strike that killed 10 civilians in Afghanistan in August. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin accepted recommendations on the issue that did not include punishment, press secretary John Kirby said Monday. The recommendations from two commanders were mostly procedural,...
If Taliban Don't Pay
Electric Bill, It'll
Be Lights Out
Oct 4, 2021 8:05 PM CDT
If Taliban Don't Pay Electric Bill, It'll Be Lights Out
Foreign suppliers could cut off power, leading to blackouts in Kabul
- On top of everything else, the people of Afghanistan could soon lose power because the ruling Taliban aren't paying foreign electrical suppliers. "This would be a really dangerous situation," said Daud Noorzai, who quit as head of Afghanistan's power monopoly after the Taliban takeover, the
Since US Left
Oct 3, 2021 11:55 AM CDT
Kabul Has Deadliest Attack Since US Left
Mosque bombed during Taliban service, reportedly killing at least 5 civilians
- At least five civilians were killed in a bomb blast at the entrance to a Kabul mosque Sunday, a Taliban official said, describing the deadliest attack in the Afghan capital since US forces left at the end of August. There was no immediate claim of responsibility, but suspicion fell on...
Afghans Hide Books, Paintings
as Crackdown on Culture Looms
Sep 30, 2021 4:10 PM CDT
Afghans Hide Books, Paintings as Crackdown on Culture Looms
Taliban says Islamic law will determine what kinds of art are allowed
- The bad old days are back in Afghanistan, where artists have hidden or destroyed paintings, musicians have stopped working, and residents are hiding books ahead of an expected Taliban crackdown on art and culture deemed un-Islamic. The group—which banned movies, television, and music during its rule from 1996 to...
Kabul Tells Female Workers
Men Are Taking Their Jobs
Sep 19, 2021 9:40 AM CDT
Kabul Tells Female Workers Men Are Taking Their Jobs
Taliban make exceptions for public toilet attendants
- Female employees in city government have been told to stay home, with work only allowed for those who cannot be replaced by men, Kabul's interim mayor said Sunday. The announcement is another sign that the Taliban are enforcing their harsh interpretation of Islam despite promises that they would be...
US Drone Hits Vehicle Taking
Suicide Bombers to Airport
Aug 29, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
US Drone Hits Vehicle Taking Suicide Bombers to Airport
Secondary blasts indicate a load of explosives, officials say
- A US drone strike on a vehicle killed suicide bombers on their way to the Kabul airport on Sunday, Pentagon officials said. US officials said the attack eliminated "an imminent ISIS-K threat," the
New York Times
reports. According to initial reports, no civilians were injured, a spokesman said,...
Marine Pictured Cradling Baby
at Airport Among Victims
Aug 29, 2021 5:45 AM CDT
Marine Pictured Cradling Baby at Airport Among Victims
Details of Nicole Gee and other American victims have emerged
- A woman who cradled a baby in her arms at the airport and posted on social media that she loved her job. A young husband with a child on the way. Another man who always wanted to be in the military. A man who planned to become a sheriff’s...
2 Evacuees Reach
Tokyo to Compete
Aug 28, 2021 4:10 PM CDT
2 Evacuees Reach Tokyo to Compete in Paralympics
International effort gets athletes safely out of Kabul, to Paris, then to the Paralympic Village
- An international, multi-organization effort has delivered two Kabul evacuees to Tokyo, by way of Paris, in time to compete in the 2020 Paralympics. Zakia Khudadadi and Hossain Rasouli have safely arrived in Paralympic Village, CNN reports. The Afghanistan Paralympic Committee had said they wouldn't be able to go to...
Details Emerge of Americans
Killed at Kabul Airport
Aug 28, 2021 7:30 AM CDT
Details Emerge of Americans Killed at Kabul Airport
A young dad-to-be, a 20-year-old Californian, a future policeman
- A young husband with a child on the way. Another man who always wanted to be in the military. A man who planned to become a sheriff’s deputy when his deployment ended. Heartwrenching details began emerging Friday about some of the 13 US troops killed in a suicide bombing...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
US Downs Chinese Balloon Off South Carolina Coast
Now There's a 2nd Balloon, per Pentagon
A Vital Mineral Deposit Could Bring Big Change to Nebraska Village
This Reporter Followed George Santos Around for 16 Hours
2 Arrested After Shooting That Left 6 Dead, Including Infant
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.