Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
For the FDNY, a Grim
Sep 26, 2023 7:51 PM CDT
For the FDNY, a Grim Post-9/11 Milestone
Number of deaths from 9/11-related illness equals number of deaths on day of attacks
- Less than two weeks after the 22nd anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, the Fire Department of New York reached a disturbing milestone: The number of firefighters to die from 9/11-related illnesses reached 343, equaling the number of firefighters killed on the day of the attacks. The FDNY said EMT Hilda...
343 Trees for
Died on 9/11 Are
in Surprise Spot
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Sep 16, 2023 2:10 PM CDT
343 Trees for Firefighters Who Died on 9/11 Are in Surprise Spot
Irish nurse who worked in NYC set up County Cork garden in tribute to lost FDNY members
- On Sept. 11, 2001, 343 firefighters perished in New York City during the terror attacks on the World Trade Center. Every year, America remembers those first responders, and the thousands of others who died that day. So does a tiny town in County Cork, Ireland, thanks to Kathleen Murphy, an...
Sep 11, 2023 5:14 PM CDT
Biden Marks 9/11 Anniversary in Alaska
'We know that on this day, every American's heart was wounded'
This story has been updated with Biden's remarks
. From ground zero to small towns, Americans looked back Monday on 9/11 with moments of silence, tearful words, and appeals to teach younger generations about the terror attacks 22 years before. President Biden, speaking at a military base in Anchorage, Alaska,...
DNA Testing Identifies
2 More WTC Victims
Sep 11, 2023 12:17 PM CDT
DNA Testing Identifies 2 More WTC Victims
With more than 1.1K still unidentified, New York City officials vow effort will continue
- As America marks 22 years since the 9/11 attacks, the identities of two more victims from the World Trade Center have been identified through DNA testing. The names of the two victims are being withheld at the request of their families, ABC News reports. They are the 1,648th and...
Gets Into It
With CNN Over
Aug 23, 2023 8:49 AM CDT
Ramaswamy Gets Into It With CNN Over 9/11, Taiwan
Candidate accused of 'mansplaining' after Kaitlan Collins points out apparent contradictions
- Vivek Ramaswamy may have been practicing for Wednesday's Republican presidential primary debate when he sparred with CNN's Kaitlan Collins on Tuesday. Onlookers had a lot to say about the interview in which Ramaswamy accused Collins of trickery and putting words into his mouth. Collins had pressed the 38-year-old...
She Made a
Visit to Guantanamo
Jun 28, 2023 9:55 AM CDT
She Made a First-of-Its-Kind Visit to Guantanamo
Independent UN monitor was permitted to visit the detention center
- Since its 2002 opening, no UN human rights investigators had been permitted to visit Guantanamo Bay. That changed in February, when Irish law professor Fionnuala Ni Aolain was granted access—and what she found was "cruel, inhuman, and degrading treatment." The UN special rapporteur spent four days at...
'Nobody Can Verify' Santos'
Claims on Mom's 9/11 Death
Dec 30, 2022 8:41 AM CST
'Nobody Can Verify' Santos' Claims on Mom's 9/11 Death
She died in 2016 and there's no evidence she ever applied for compensation
- Some are now questioning whether George Santos exaggerated—or possibly outright lied—about the death of his own mother. In a tweet Wednesday, journalist Yashar Ali drew attention to two tweets from Santos in 2021, one that said 9/11 claimed his mother's life and another that reflected on the...
Missing Michigan Family
Seen at UP Gas Station
Oct 23, 2022 10:05 AM CDT
Missing Michigan Family Seen at UP Gas Station
Anthony Cirigliano told police he was in danger because he had information on 9/11 attacks
: A family that disappeared after the father told police he was in danger was spotted at a gas station in Michigan's Upper Peninsula on Monday, NBC News reports. Surveillance video shows the Ciriglianos buying gas and fuel in Gulliver, about 170 miles north of the family's home...
Sep 11, 2022 11:55 AM CDT
Marking 9/11, Biden Says the Fight Goes On
President pledges pursuit of terrorists continues though war in Afghanistan ended
- President Biden marked the 21st anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks on Sunday, taking part in a somber wreath-laying ceremony at the Pentagon and paying tribute to "extraordinary Americans" who lost their lives on one of the nation's darkest days. Held under a steady rain, the ceremony occurred...
Mickelson: I Have 'Deep
Empathy' for 9/11 Families
Jun 14, 2022 12:38 PM CDT
Mickelson: I Have 'Deep Empathy' for 9/11 Families
But veteran golfer will still play in LIV Golf pro league funded by Saudi Arabia
- Phil Mickelson has the "deepest sympathy" for the families of those killed in the 9/11 terrorist attacks—but he'll continue to play in the professional golf league lavishly funded by the Saudi Arabian government 's Public Investment Fund. The golfer was among several pros called out by...
Alleged 9/11 Plotters
Present List of Demands
Mar 16, 2022 11:15 AM CDT
Alleged 9/11 Plotters Present List of Demands
It's part of plea agreement talks as their cases drag on in military court
- Possible plea agreements could include life sentences for Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and his four alleged accomplices if they were to admit to carrying out the 9/11 terrorist attacks. Plea agreement negotiations are unfolding at Guantanamo Bay, with defendants pushing to have execution taken off the table, the
New York Times
After 20 Years, Suspected
'20th Hijacker' Leaves Gitmo
Mar 7, 2022 5:35 PM CST
After 20 Years, Suspected '20th Hijacker' Leaves Gitmo
Mohammad Ahmad al-Qahtani has been flown back to Saudi Arabia
- A Saudi prisoner at the Guantanamo Bay detention center who was suspected of trying to join the 9/11 hijackers has been sent back to his home country for treatment for mental illness, the Department of Defense said Monday. Mohammad Ahmad al-Qahtani was flown to Saudi Arabia, to a treatment facility,...
Biden Declassifies 9/11
Documents on Saudi Nationals
Sep 12, 2021 7:00 AM CDT
Biden Declassifies 9/11 Documents on Saudi Nationals
Victims' families applauded the move
- The FBI late Saturday released a newly declassified document related to logistical support given to two of the Saudi hijackers in the run-up to the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. The document details contacts the hijackers had with Saudi associates in the US but does not provide proof that...
Trapped in Rubble, Woman
Finally Heard 'I Got You'
Sep 11, 2021 5:05 PM CDT
Trapped in Rubble, Woman Finally Heard 'I Got You'
Genelle Guzman McMillan was the last person rescued from the World Trade Center
- Twenty-seven hours after Tower 1 at the World Trade Center collapsed on Sept. 11, 2001, Genelle Guzman McMillan was about to give up. She was in pain, unable to move in the rubble and, with dust in her mouth and nose, unable to call out for help. "I knew...
on a Plane That
Diverted on 9/11.
Sep 11, 2021 2:55 PM CDT
They Were on a Plane That Diverted on 9/11. Love Followed
CNN tells the story of Nick Marson and Diane Kirschke's unlikely meeting
- Nick Marson and Diane Kirschke have known each other for 20 years—pretty much to the day. The two were on a Continental flight from London to Houston on 9/11 and ended up diverting to the tiny town of Gander in Newfoundland, Canada. After 24 hours stuck on their plane...
A Nation Grieves,
20 Years On
Sep 11, 2021 11:00 AM CDT
A Nation Grieves, 20 Years On
Ex-presidents, Queen Elizabeth, Bruce Springsteen offer tributes on 20th anniversary of Sept. 11
- The 9/11 anniversary commemoration at ground zero began Saturday with a tolling bell and a moment of silence, exactly 20 years after the start of the deadliest terror attack on US soil. The anniversary comes under the pall of a pandemic and in the shadow of the US withdrawal from...
He Spent Weeks
on the Pile After 9/11.
What Did It Do to His Brain?
Sep 11, 2021 9:15 AM CDT
He Spent Weeks on the Pile After 9/11. What Did It Do to His Brain?
The 'Washington Post' looks at cognitive decline among first responders
- In 2015, at age 52, Ron Kirchner was diagnosed with dementia. His wife was told an MRI scan of Kirchner's brain could be mistaken for that of an 85-year-old. What makes that reality all the more tragic is this: Kirchner was a firefighter who spent almost 600 hours—the...
20 Years After 9/11,
a Still-Unfinished WTC
Sep 10, 2021 1:41 PM CDT
20 Years After 9/11, a Still-Unfinished WTC
Construction continues on 2 skyscrapers, church, performing arts center at World Trade Center site
- Two decades after its destruction in the Sept. 11 attacks, the work to rebuild the World Trade Center complex remains incomplete. Two planned skyscrapers, a performing arts center, and a church are still unfinished at the site, which plays host Saturday to the annual ceremony honoring nearly 3,000 people...
Steve Buscemi Opens Up
About Post-9/11 PTSD
Sep 10, 2021 8:03 AM CDT
Steve Buscemi Opens Up About Post-9/11 PTSD
After attacks, he volunteered with his former fire company at Ground Zero
- The 20th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks is bringing back traumatic memories for countless Americans—including Steve Buscemi, who was a New York City firefighter before he was an actor. He served with the Engine 55 company in Manhattan from 1980 to 1984, and returned to volunteer with the company...
Are Now in 9th Year
Sep 8, 2021 1:30 AM CDT
9/11 Mastermind's Pre-Trial Hearings Are Now in 9th Year
Khalid Sheikh Mohammed was joined by 4 other defendants for first hearing in 18 months
- Pre-trial hearings in the case against alleged 9/11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and four other defendants allegedly involved in the 2001 attacks resumed Tuesday for the first time in a year and a half. They were suspended last year due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The hearings are now in their...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
27 Years After Tupac Shakur Killing, a Murder Charge
First Trump Co-Defendant Pleads Guilty in Georgia
NYC Local: 'Never Seen Anything Like This in My Life'
Mick Jagger: My Kids Don't Need $500M
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.