Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Man, 73, Charged With
Digging Up His Grandmother
Nov 10, 2023 12:17 PM CST
Man, 73, Charged With Digging Up His Grandmother
Zebulun Nash and a friend face misdemeanor after bizarre episode near St. Louis
- Two men are facing charges in Missouri after trying to dig up one of their long-dead grandmothers. Police found the 73-year-olds covered in dirt at Washington Park Cemetery in the St. Louis suburb of Berkeley on Aug. 22. Zebulun Nash of Houston, Texas—who formerly sat on the board of...
Dig Begins to Find Buried
Native American Children
Jul 10, 2023 12:27 PM CDT
Dig Begins to Find Buried Native American Children
Archaeologists are seeking lost cemetery on grounds of ex-boarding school in Nebraska
- Bodies of dozens of children who died at a Native American boarding school have been lost for decades, a mystery that archaeologists aim to unravel as they begin digging in a central Nebraska field that a century ago was part of the sprawling campus. Crews toting shovels, trowels, and even...
in National Park,
an 'Intriguing Find'
May 3, 2023 1:46 PM CDT
Underwater in National Park, an 'Intriguing Find'
1861 grave of Fort Jefferson laborer is discovered submerged within Dry Tortugas National Park
- The graves of dozens of people—including US soldiers—who died at Florida's Fort Jefferson in the late 19th century are now believed to be underwater. In August 2022, divers identified a grave carrying the name John Greer and the year 1861 on a submerged island near Garden Key...
'Truly Extraordinary Dig' Offers
Glimpse at Mysterious Period
Mar 19, 2023 7:15 AM CDT
'Truly Extraordinary Dig' Offers Glimpse at Mysterious Period
Cemetery in northern England used through transition from Roman to Anglo-Saxon control
- Archaeologists say they've made a "once-in-a-lifetime" discovery in uncovering an ancient cemetery used by two cultures in northern England. They were called to the site in Leeds last year ahead of a commercial development. As structures from the Roman and Anglo-Saxon periods had been found nearby, they thought...
Ivana Trump's Grave
Could Be a 'Trifecta
of Tax Avoidance'
Aug 1, 2022 3:24 PM CDT
Ivana Trump's Grave Could Be a 'Trifecta of Tax Avoidance'
Cemeteries, even those on golf courses, are exempt from many New Jersey taxes
- Ivana Trump's gravesite at her ex-husband's golf club in Bedminster, New Jersey, is pretty basic: a wreath of flowers at one end, and a flat, engraved marker on the other. It's just off the course but not in anyone's line of sight, set off by itself....
Unknown Soldier Is
Unknown No More
Jun 22, 2022 1:01 PM CDT
Unknown Soldier Is Unknown No More
British soldier who died in WWI is identified via DNA as 2nd Lt. Osmund Bartle Wordsworth
- For more than a century, the British soldier lay in an anonymous grave, one of so many unidentified victims buried beneath the killing fields of World War I. But now, his headstone finally bears a name: 2nd Lt. Osmund Bartle Wordsworth—a great-great-nephew of English poet William Wordsworth—who was...
Gunfire Rang Out During the
Burial Service. 2 Were Hit
Jun 3, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Gunfire Rang Out During the Burial Service. 2 Were Hit
A juvenile was among the injured after shooting at funeral in Racine, Wis.
After murky initial reports, police now confirm to the
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
that two people at a cemetery in Racine, Wisconsin, were hit when gunfire rang out during a burial service on Thursday. Sgt. Kristi Wilcox tells TMJ4 that one of the injured individuals was flown to a Milwaukee...
Headstone Missing 150 Years
Was Used to Make Fudge
in case you missed it
Sep 26, 2021 5:30 AM CDT
Headstone Missing 150 Years Was Used to Make Fudge
Gravestone of Peter J. Weller, initially listed in auction, is now restored in Lansing, Mich.
- A 5-foot-tall headstone missing for 146 years has been restored to its rightful place in a Michigan cemetery after it was discovered in the home of a family who used it to make fudge. The gravestone of Peter J. Weller was lost in 1875, 26 years after his 1849 death,...
Detroit Cemetery Exhuming
20 Bodies in Grave Mix-Up
Jun 9, 2021 1:03 AM CDT
Detroit Cemetery Exhuming 20 Bodies in Grave Mix-Up
It's not clear yet how many are buried in the wrong place
- Family members were devastated after discovering that their loved ones' remains may have been buried in the wrong place in a Detroit cemetery. Gethsemane Cemetery started exhuming 20 bodies Monday in a process expected to be completed Wednesday, the
reports. It's not clear how many of those...
Tried to 'Run
People Over' at
May 7, 2021 8:15 AM CDT
Cops: Woman Tried to 'Run People Over' at Ex's Funeral
Blair Whitten is accused of speeding through cemetery, driving over gravesites
- There are likely numerous contenders for the "Worst Ex-Girlfriend Ever" title, but a Minnesota woman may have just secured herself a place in the finals. Per court documents cited by the
Twin Cities Pioneer Press
, North Dakota police officers were alerted over the weekend by attendees of a graveside...
Town's Cemetery Collapse an
Feb 24, 2021 12:34 PM CST
Town's Cemetery Collapse an 'Unimaginable Catastrophe'
As many as 200 coffins fell in Camogli, Italy
- An "unimaginable catastrophe" has befallen a town near Genoa, Italy, where hundreds of coffins that long rested in a seaside cemetery fell some 160 feet toward the Mediterranean Sea on Monday. CNN reports that as many as 200 coffins were swept up in a landslide in Camogli, and only...
Hollywood Gives the 'Bandit'
a Final Resting Place
Feb 12, 2021 10:54 AM CST
Hollywood Gives the 'Bandit' a Final Resting Place
Burt Reynolds' remains are buried in the Hollywood Forever cemetery more than 2 years after his death
- Burt Reynolds reached his final resting place Thursday at a storied Hollywood cemetery. A small, private ceremony, with relatives taking part remotely via Zoom, was held Thursday morning at the Hollywood Forever cemetery, where Reynolds' cremated remains were placed in a grave next to a lake nearly 2 1/2 years...
Black Deputy's Family Told
Cemetery Won't Bury 'Coloreds'
Jan 29, 2021 8:53 AM CST
Black Deputy's Family Told Cemetery Won't Bury 'Coloreds'
Louisiana's Oaklin Springs Cemetery updates contract amid uproar
- As he was dying of cancer, a Louisiana sheriff's deputy told his family the specific cemetery he wanted to be buried in. Allen Parish Sheriff's Deputy Darrell Semien was comforted to know that Oaklin Springs Cemetery in Oberlin was close to home, meaning the possibility of frequent visitors....
Man's 'Quest for Discovery' in
National Park Isn't Ending Well
Jan 6, 2021 7:24 AM CST
Man's 'Quest for Discovery' in National Park Isn't Ending Well
Rodrick Dow Craythorn pleads guilty to digging up Yellowstone cemetery for Forrest Fenn prize
- A man accused of digging up a Yellowstone National Park cemetery in his search for a famous buried treasure has admitted to his crimes. The
New York Times
reports that, nearly four months after he was indicted by a federal grand jury, 52-year-old Rodrick Dow Craythorn of Utah entered a...
Elderly Couple Shot
in Cemetery; 1 Dead
May 10, 2020 3:50 PM CDT
Elderly Couple Shot in Cemetery; 1 Dead
- A married Maryland couple in their 80s were the victims in a shooting at a veterans cemetery in Delaware, the AP reports. Delaware State Police on Friday night identified the victims as an 86-year-old man and 85-year-old woman from Elkton, Maryland. The wife was pronounced dead at the scene. The...
They Were Digging a Grave.
Then, the Unexpected
May 6, 2020 11:15 AM CDT
They Were Digging a Grave. Then, the Unexpected
NJ cemetery worker buried to his knees for 25 minutes Tuesday after sides of grave collapsed
- A New Jersey cemetery worker spent 25 minutes trapped in a collapsed grave on Tuesday—luckily, with his upper body above the dirt. The 59-year-old went into the 8-foot-deep grave at the Hillside Cemetery in Lyndhurst to take some measurements ahead of a Wednesday funeral, according to police. "They...
Coffins at High School
Nov 21, 2019 9:30 AM CST
Radar Detects Long-Forgotten Coffins at High School
Abandoned black cemetery is discovered in Tampa
- Some 145 coffins found beneath a Florida high school are believed to belong to a forgotten African-American cemetery—and it's not the only one in Tampa. "This hurts. Deeply," says Yvette Lewis, president of the Hillsborough County branch of the NAACP. A ground-penetrating radar survey showed the...
Grave Diggers Find
Nov 7, 2019 1:32 PM CST
Grave Diggers Find Empty Grave, Dead Chickens
Police are investigating in Connecticut
- Grave diggers working at a Connecticut cemetery Wednesday noticed "a big pile of dirt," one says, and upon walking over to investigate, discovered an empty grave filled with water and what appeared to be two dead chickens. Police say it appears someone dug up and removed remains from...
Cemetery Jogger Killed
by Lightning Strike
Sep 5, 2019 12:30 PM CDT
Cemetery Jogger Killed by Lightning Strike
Cincinnati woman dies after sheltering from storm under tree
- Three women were jogging through Cincinnati's Spring Grove Cemetery on Friday when a security guard—seeing a storm approaching—offered them a ride, a cemetery rep tells WLWT . They declined the offer, and all three were hit by a lightning strike moments later as they sheltered under an oak...
He Was High
and Mad. His
Mar 25, 2019 7:50 AM CDT
He Was High and Mad. His Crime: Toppling Jewish Headstones
Alzado Harris sentenced to probation for 2017 incident in University City, Missouri
- When Alzado Harris went to the Chesed Shel Emeth Cemetery in University City, Mo., in February 2017, he was inebriated, high on pot, and peeved at a friend. That's what led to his next act, he confessed to police, per the
St. Louis Post-Dispatch
: knocking over more than 100...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
On the Day the Rats Arrived, He Filled 18 Bags With Bodies
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
Henry Kissinger Dies at 100
Chinese Chef in Hot Water Over Egg Fried Rice Video
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.