Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Legend of Zelda
Getting Its Time on
the Silver Screen
Nov 8, 2023 9:04 AM CST
Legend of Zelda
Is Getting Its Time on the Silver Screen
Nintendo hopes for the same kind of success as with 'The Super Mario Bros. Movie'
- Link is about to leap from the Nintendo Switch screen to the big screen. Sony Pictures and Nintendo will team up to make a live-action film based on the beloved videogame franchise
The Legend of Zelda
, first released in 1986 and starring the elf-like hero Link, Deadline reports. Wes Ball...
Game Developers Irate Over
'Phenomenally Unpopular' Fee
Sep 15, 2023 11:12 AM CDT
Game Developers Irate Over 'Phenomenally Unpopular' Fee
Unity Technologies shuts 2 offices after death threat comes in over controversial new cost
- Earlier this week, Unity Technologies, a video game software company based in San Francisco, made an announcement that roiled the gaming world: It would begin charging developers a 20-cent fee each time a user installed one of its games, a "phenomenally unpopular" move that set off "widespread anger,...
Cops: Alleged Robber Used
'Gun' Many Will Recognize
Jun 3, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
Cops: Alleged Robber Used 'Gun' Many Will Recognize
Officials say David Joseph Dalesandro held up convenience store with Nintendo 'Duck Hunt' pistol
- An armed robbery this week at a South Carolina convenience store apparently wasn't as "armed" as the clerk thought. CNN reports on the Tuesday incident at a Kwik Stop in the small town of Sharon, where a man donning a hoodie, wig, and mask entered the store around...
UK Just Nixed the Biggest
Tech Deal in History
Apr 26, 2023 8:15 AM CDT
UK Just Nixed the Biggest Tech Deal in History
Microsoft's $69B attempt to buy video game maker Activision scuttled over fears of stifling competition
- British regulators have blocked Microsoft's $69 billion deal to buy video game maker Activision Blizzard over worries that it would stifle competition in the cloud gaming market. The UK's Competition and Markets Authority said in its final report Wednesday that "the only effective remedy" to the significant...
Judge Uses Tobacco Analogy
Dec 9, 2022 7:09 AM CST
Judge Uses Tobacco Analogy in
Canadian judge says class action suit can proceed
- Lawyers in Canada are urging parents with children addicted to
to consider joining a class action lawsuit. A judge in Quebec has approved a lawsuit first filed in 2019 from parents who said their children had stopped socializing, sleeping, showering, and eating because they were hooked on the wildly...
Hacker: I've Got Source
Grand Theft Auto
Sep 20, 2022 8:23 AM CDT
Hacker: I've Got Source Code for
Grand Theft Auto
Rockstar Games is 'extremely disappointed' on leaked footage of upcoming version of video game
- Video game producer Rockstar Games said Monday that early development footage from the next version of its popular title
Grand Theft Auto
was stolen in the hack of its network. Someone claiming to be the hacker, posting on Telegram, dumped 90 video clips from the theft online on Sunday and...
The Safe Was Gone,
as Were the 120
'Cherries' Inside It
in case you missed it
Jul 24, 2022 11:00 AM CDT
The Safe Was Gone, as Were the 120 'Cherries' Inside It
Inside the 2019 theft of an incredibly rare collection of video games
- As Jason Brassard sped at 100mph toward Trade-N-Games before sunrise on August 16, 2019, he braced himself for what he would find at his video game store outside St. Louis. He had been alerted that the store's alarm system had activated. PlayStation 4s and all the latest games were...
Pay for Lawsuits
Jun 24, 2022 6:16 AM CDT
Rittenhouse to Pay for Lawsuits With Shooter Video Game
He says he's fighting back with 'fake news turkey shoot'
- Kyle Rittenhouse says he's releasing a video game to fund his planned defamation lawsuits against media outlets. In it, players act as a cartoonish Rittenhouse, shooting flying turkeys labeled "fake news" and "MSDNC" with a large orange gun, per the
. "The media is nothing...
Online Game Hit by
Massive Crypto Heist
Mar 30, 2022 4:19 PM CDT
Online Game Hit by Massive Crypto Heist
'Axie Infinity' says $615M was taken after criminals compromised blockchain bridge
- A popular online game says it is "here to stay" despite one of the biggest cryptocurrency thefts on record. Vietnamese studio Sky Mavis says hackers drained cryptocurrency worth more than $600 million from the "bridge" that allows
players to exchange other cryptocurrencies for in-game currency or...
Jan 12, 2022 2:51 PM CST
Wordle Is Taking Over the World
Ad-free word game is a massive online hit
- Last year, New York-based programmer Josh Wardle created a game for his partner Palak Shah, a big fan of crosswords and other word games. Fast-forward a few months, and Wordle is taking over the world. The free online game, in which users have six chances to guess a five-letter word,...
Tesla to Disable Gaming
While Vehicle Is Moving
Dec 24, 2021 5:07 AM CST
Tesla to Disable Gaming While Vehicle Is Moving
NHTSA has launched an investigation of 'Passenger Play' feature
- Tesla has released a software update that will block drivers from playing video games on the front touch screen while their vehicle is in motion. Tesla announced the move after the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration opened an investigation of the "Passenger Play" feature, the
Wall Street Journal
Nov 2, 2021 11:47 AM CDT
Josh Hawley Starts Debate on Manhood
Senator says liberals are turning young men into pathetic creatures hooked on porn, video games
- Conservative Sen. Josh Hawley of Missouri opened a fresh battle in the culture wars with a defense of masculinity, arguing that the left is turning young men into wimpy creatures addicted to porn and video games. That, in turn, triggered a backlash against the 41-year-old. Coverage:
Game Studio CEO
Steps Down After
Praising Texas Law
Sep 7, 2021 2:22 PM CDT
Game Studio CEO Steps Down After Praising Texas Law
Tripwire Interactive faced huge backlash after tweet from John Gibson
- Gaming studio Tripwire Interactive announced Monday night that John Gibson had stepped down as CEO—two days after he expressed support for the new Texas abortion law. Gibson and Tripwire faced a major backlash after Gibson tweeted that he was "proud" of the Supreme Court for affirming the law,...
China's New Law: No
Video Games on School Nights
Aug 30, 2021 11:00 AM CDT
China's New Law: No Video Games on School Nights
And children can only play for one hour per day on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday
- China just put a new law in place that's sure to have Americans of all ages doing a double-take. Kids can no longer play videos games on school nights. What's more, they can play for only one hour per night on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays, from 8 to...
Video Game Developer Faces
Mutiny Over Lawsuit Response
Jul 27, 2021 9:40 AM CDT
Video Game Developer Faces Mutiny Over Lawsuit Response
2K sign letter demanding Activision Blizzard seriously evaluate harassment claims
- More than 2,000 current and former Activision Blizzard employees have signed a letter to management saying its response to a lawsuit alleging widespread sexual harassment and discrimination is "abhorrent and insulting." A week-old complaint filed by the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing following a two-year...
New Hire Suggests Games
Are Ahead for Netflix
Jul 15, 2021 5:35 PM CDT
New Hire Suggests Games Are Ahead for Netflix
Executive has worked for Electronic Arts and Zynga
- Netflix has hired veteran video game executive Mike Verdu, signaling the video streaming service is poised to expand into another fertile field of entertainment. Verdu's addition as Netflix's vice president of game development, confirmed Thursday, comes as the company seeks to sustain the momentum it gathered last year...
Someone's Old Video Game
Worth Almost a Million Bucks
Jul 11, 2021 3:03 PM CDT
Someone's Old Video Game Worth Almost a Million Bucks
Nintendo cartridge of the 'Legend of Zelda' fetches $870K
- An unopened copy of Nintendo’s "The Legend of Zelda" that was made in 1987 has sold at auction for $870,000. Heritage Auctions in Dallas said the video game sold Friday. The auction house said it was a rare version that was created during a limited production run...
Fan Fixes Longstanding
Grand Theft Auto
Mar 16, 2021 12:16 PM CDT
Fan Fixes Longstanding Issue With
Grand Theft Auto
'tostercx' speeds up load times and is now $10K richer
- A gamer who set out to fix the poor loading times on
Grand Theft Auto 5
has now been awarded $10,000. The loading times "have been the butt of many a joke over the last seven years," writes Mollie Taylor at PCGamer . But Github user tostercx, who...
Roblox Surges 55%
in Stock Market Debut
Mar 10, 2021 3:56 PM CST
Roblox Surges 55% in Stock Market Debut
Dow Jones hits new record high
- The stock market's big success story Wednesday was videogame maker Roblox, which surged 55% on its debut. The company, which enables users to play online games created by others on the platform, was valued at around $4 billion just a year ago, but the leap from a reference price...
Pigs Impress Researchers
With Video Game Skills
Feb 12, 2021 10:31 AM CST
Pigs Impress Researchers With Video Game Skills
They used their snouts to control joystick
- You won't see Wilbur joining a
Call of Duty
session any time soon, but researchers have confirmed that pigs are capable of playing video games. In a study published in the journal
Frontiers of Psychology
, animal behavior specialist Candace Croney and chimpanzee cognition expert Sarah Boysen says four pigs...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
6 Teens Guilty for Role in Teacher's Beheading
U Penn President Steps Down After Outcry
Tomato Mysteriously Lost in Space Turns Up 8 Months Later
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
Evert Reveals 'Diagnosis I Never Wanted to Hear'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.