Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read recent Syrian news stories and current events on Newser.com
Stories 1 - 20 |
China Warmly Welcomes
Leader Shunned by the US
Sep 21, 2023 12:39 PM CDT
China Warmly Welcomes Leader Shunned by the US
Syria's Bashar al-Assad visits as Beijing tries to strengthen its influence in the Mideast
- Syrian President Bashar Assad arrived in China on Thursday on his first visit to the country since the start of Syria's 12-year conflict, one in which Beijing has been one of his main backers. China's Foreign Ministry said Assad would join other foreign leaders attending the opening ceremony...
'Poor Man's Cocaine'
May Be Headed for US
in case you missed it
Aug 20, 2023 12:55 PM CDT
'Poor Man's Cocaine' May Be Headed for US
Officials fear spread of highly-addictive captagon amid crackdowns in Middle East
- US officials are increasingly concerned about the likelihood of an illegal, highly-addictive drug wreaking havoc in the US as its Middle East producers, hungry for cash, face roadblocks in trafficking the drug at home. Produced and distributed by groups tied to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and the allied Hezbollah in...
Killed ISIS Leader
Jul 9, 2023 5:20 PM CDT
US: Harassed Drones Later Killed ISIS Leader
Usamah al-Muhajir was riding a motorcycle near Aleppo, official says
- A US drone strike killed an Islamic State group leader in Syria hours after the same MQ-9 Reaper drones were harassed by Russian military jets over the western part of the country, the Defense Department reported Sunday. Three Reapers had been flying overhead searching for the militant on Friday, a...
US: Russia's Third Harassment
Went On for Almost 2 Hours
Jul 8, 2023 3:30 PM CDT
US: Russia's Third Harassment Went On for Almost 2 Hours
Follow the standards of a professional air force over Syria, general again urges
- The Defense Department said Russian fighter jets harassed US drones over Syria for nearly two hours on Friday, the third time this week the nations' forces had a close encounter. "Russian aircraft flew 18 unprofessional close passes that caused the MQ-9s to react to avoid unsafe situations," US...
22 US Troops Injured
in Syria Helicopter 'Mishap'
Jun 13, 2023 1:00 AM CDT
22 US Troops Injured in Syria Helicopter 'Mishap'
Enemy fire was not involved, US military says
- A helicopter accident in northeastern Syria over the weekend left 22 American service members injured, the US military said Tuesday, adding that the cause of the accident was under investigation and that no enemy fire was involved. The military statement said the service members were receiving treatment and 10 were...
Arab League Welcomes
Outcast Assad, Syria Back
May 7, 2023 11:40 AM CDT
Arab League Welcomes Outcast Assad, Syria Back
Secretary-general says decision doesn't signal an end to the crisis
- The Arab League agreed Sunday to reinstate Syria, ending a 12-year suspension and taking another step toward bringing Syrian President Bashar Assad, a longtime regional pariah, back into the fold. Some influential league members remain opposed to reinstating Syria, chief among them Qatar, which did not send its foreign minister...
Militants Killed 26
Apr 18, 2023 2:30 AM CDT
They Were Foraging for Truffles When Militants Killed 26
Truffle hunting has become increasingly dangerous in Syria
- Islamic State militants killed at least 26 people who were foraging for wild truffles in Syria's Hama region, opposition and state media reported Sunday. Amid the economic devastation of Syria’s yearslong war, foraging for truffles can help people earn money, as the seasonal delicacy fetches a high price,...
US Strikes Syria After
Drone Kills Contractor
Mar 24, 2023 5:31 AM CDT
US Strikes Syria After Drone Kills Contractor
Pentagon says suspected Iran drone injured 5 soldiers
- A strike Thursday by a suspected Iranian-made drone killed a US contractor and wounded five American troops and another contractor in northeast Syria, the Pentagon said. American forces said they retaliated soon after with "precision airstrikes" in Syria targeting facilities used by groups affiliated with Iran's Revolutionary Guard,...
US Commander: Russia Is
Ignoring Syria Protocols
Mar 23, 2023 4:48 AM CDT
US Commander: Russia Is Ignoring Syria Protocols
He says armed jets are flying over US outpost almost every day
- The Black Sea, where Russian jets forced down an American drone last week, is far from the only potential flashpoint between US and Russian forces. Lt. Gen. Alexus Grynkewich at US Central Command says armed Russian jets have flown over the Al-Tanf base in southeast Syria almost every day this...
4 US Troops, and Dog,
Wounded in Syrian Raid
Feb 17, 2023 2:14 PM CST
4 US Troops, and Dog, Wounded in Syrian Raid
Helicopter strike killed a senior member of the Islamic State
- The US military said Friday that a helicopter raid led by its forces in northeast Syria left a senior leader with the Islamic State group dead and four American service members wounded. The operation was conducted Thursday night in partnership with the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces, which is allied with...
200 Hours After the Quake,
the Improbable: Survivors
Feb 14, 2023 3:05 PM CST
200 Hours After the Quake, the Improbable: Survivors
Yet the combined death toll stands at nearly 40K
New York Times
puts the count of "improbable rescues" at nine: people finally freed from the rubble roughly 200 hours after devastating earthquakes struck Turkey and Syria. One of those rescues involved two brothers who survived on protein powder and by drinking their own urine; the men, ages...
Gunmen Storm Hospital
of Baby Pulled From Rubble
Feb 14, 2023 12:15 PM CST
Gunmen Storm Hospital of Baby Pulled From Rubble
Hospital denies it was an attempt to kidnap baby Aya
- Gunmen stormed a hospital in north Syria where a baby girl is receiving care after being born under the rubble of her family’s earthquake-shattered home, a hospital official said Tuesday, adding that the attackers beat the clinic's director. The official denied reports on social media claiming that the...
Toll of 24K,
Feb 11, 2023 5:30 AM CST
Amid Death Toll of 24K, 'Shimmers of Joy'
Five days after Turkey-Syria quake, teen boy, family of 5 pulled alive from rubble
- Rescue teams in Turkey on Saturday pulled to safety a family of five who survived inside their collapsed home for five days following a major earthquake in a sprawling border region of Turkey and Syria, per the AP . They first extricated mother and daughter Havva and Fatmagul Aslan from a...
'Miracle' Boy Pulled From
Rubble a Day After Quake
Feb 7, 2023 12:00 AM CST
'Miracle' Boy Pulled From Rubble a Day After Quake
Death toll in Turkey-Syria quake is now above 4.3K
- More than a day after the devastating Turkey-Syria earthquake , what observers called a "miracle": A 14-year-old boy was pulled from the rubble in the Turkish city of Kahramanmaras, CNN reports. He was seen being carried by rescuers on a stretcher to an ambulance, which transported him to a hospital;...
Feb 6, 2023 10:35 AM CST
Quake Devastates Historic Castle in Turkey
Gaziantep Castle, built 2K years ago, is heavily damaged
- The death toll from the earthquake that rocked Turkey and Syria early Monday has now surpassed 2,300 and continues to rise quickly, reports the AP . While thousands of buildings have been damaged or destroyed in the two countries, one in particular is of note: The 7.8 magnitude quake...
Amid Grim Scenes After
Quake, a Toddler's Rescue
Feb 6, 2023 9:50 AM CST
Amid Grim Scenes After Quake, a Toddler's Rescue
Death toll is now more than 2.3K in Turkey and Syria
- The updates from Monday morning's powerful Turkey-Syria earthquake continue to be grim, with more than 2,300 dead in the latest official tally, per the AP . But amid the bad news come moments like this one, as shown in video from the BBC and Reuters . In the clip, a...
Was Felt in 4 Countries
Feb 6, 2023 6:38 AM CST
Devastating Earthquake Was Felt in 4 Countries
Death toll in Turkey and Syria is 1.3K and rising quickly
- The news after a powerful earthquake near the border of Turkey and Syria early Monday seems to be getting worse by the hour as rescuers in both countries look for survivors and assess the damage:
The toll was at more than 1,300 Monday morning, with more than
At Least 568 Killed
in 'Disastrous' 7.8
Feb 6, 2023 1:37 AM CST
At Least 568 Killed in 'Disastrous' 7.8 Earthquake
Buildings topple, death toll expected to rise further in Turkey and Syria
- A powerful 7.8 magnitude earthquake hit southern Turkey and northern Syria early Monday, toppling buildings and killing at least 568 people. With hundreds injured, the toll was expected to rise as rescue workers searched the rubble in cities and towns across the area, the AP reports. On both sides...
Kansas Woman Who Led
ISIS Battalion Gets the Max
Nov 1, 2022 3:08 PM CDT
Kansas Woman Who Led ISIS Battalion Gets the Max
2 of Allison Fluke-Ekren's children requested the sentence
A Kansas woman who pleaded guilty to leading an all-female ISIS battalion in Syria was on Tuesday handed the maximum possible sentence: 20 years. The AP reports two of Allison Fluke-Ekren's children asked the judge to give her that sentence, alleging they suffered physical and sexual abuse at...
French Cement Company
Pleads Guilty to Aiding ISIS
Oct 18, 2022 2:48 PM CDT
French Cement Company Pleads Guilty to Aiding ISIS
Lafarge paid millions of dollars to militants in order to keep Syria plant open
- French cement company Lafarge pleaded guilty Tuesday to paying millions of dollars to the Islamic State group in exchange for permission to keep open a plant in Syria, a case the Justice Department described as the first of its kind. The company also agreed to penalties totaling roughly $778 million....
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
26-Year-Old Tech CEO Found Dead in Baltimore
Judge Rules Trump Committed Fraud
Young Baltimore Tech CEO Allegedly Killed by Violent Repeat Offender
3 Boys 'Paid the Ultimate Price' for Mom's Addiction
US Soldier Who Crossed Into North Korea Back in US Custody
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.