Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read recent Syrian news stories and current events on Newser.com
Stories 1 - 20 |
Kansas Woman Who Led
ISIS Battalion Gets the Max
Nov 1, 2022 3:08 PM CDT
Kansas Woman Who Led ISIS Battalion Gets the Max
2 of Allison Fluke-Ekren's children requested the sentence
A Kansas woman who pleaded guilty to leading an all-female ISIS battalion in Syria was on Tuesday handed the maximum possible sentence: 20 years. The AP reports two of Allison Fluke-Ekren's children asked the judge to give her that sentence, alleging they suffered physical and sexual abuse at...
French Cement Company
Pleads Guilty to Aiding ISIS
Oct 18, 2022 2:48 PM CDT
French Cement Company Pleads Guilty to Aiding ISIS
Lafarge paid millions of dollars to militants in order to keep Syria plant open
- French cement company Lafarge pleaded guilty Tuesday to paying millions of dollars to the Islamic State group in exchange for permission to keep open a plant in Syria, a case the Justice Department described as the first of its kind. The company also agreed to penalties totaling roughly $778 million....
Syria's 'Most Complete' Mosaic
Ever Found Is Also the 'Rarest'
Oct 13, 2022 10:15 AM CDT
Syria's 'Most Complete' Mosaic Ever Found Is Also the 'Rarest'
Huge Roman mosaic uncovered in Rastan is 'rare on a global scale'
- A huge, intact Roman mosaic is being touted as the most significant archaeological find in a decade in Syria, already considered "an archaeologist's paradise," per AFP . The 1,600-year-old mosaic was found beneath a building in Rastan, a former rebel stronghold that saw intense fighting until its...
Syria Issues First Statement
on Austin Tice Since 2016
Aug 17, 2022 8:47 AM CDT
Syria Issues First Statement on Austin Tice Since 2016
Country's foreign ministry denies 'it has kidnapped or is hiding any American'
- On Tuesday, the
New York Times
reported on the apparent "revival" of a multinational effort to bring home US journalist Austin Tice, who disappeared a decade ago in Syria. On Wednesday, Syria made clear it's not part of that effort. In what CNN reports is its first statement...
On 10-Year Anniversary
of Tice Abduction, a
Message From Biden
Aug 11, 2022 9:01 AM CDT
On 10-Year Anniversary of Tice Abduction, a Message From Biden
President says 'we know with certainty' Syria has US journo, calls on Syria to 'help us bring him home'
- Austin Tice was abducted in Syria 10 years ago this week, and no government or group has claimed responsibility or admitted to detaining him since. But on Wednesday, President Biden said "we know with certainty" that Syria has the 41-year-old US freelance journalist and Marine Corps veteran in captivity,...
Jackie Chan Producing Film
Shot in Controversial Locale
Jul 19, 2022 5:42 PM CDT
Jackie Chan Producing Film Shot in Controversial Locale
The town of al-Hajar al-Aswad is now a movie set
- A Chinese action movie that has Jackie Chan on board as executive producer is catching flak for one of its film locations: a Syrian town leveled and largely empty after years of civil war and ISIS occupation. The
is "inspired by China’s...
Blast at US Syria Base
May Have Been Insider Attack
Jun 7, 2022 5:18 PM CDT
Blast at US Syria Base May Have Been Insider Attack
Military says service member is a possible suspect
- A US service member has been identified as a possible suspect in an April explosion that injured several US troops at a base in eastern Syria. Patrick Barnes, a spokesman for the Army Criminal Investigation Division, said in a statement that the potential suspect is back in the United States,...
Carvings Reveal Multicultural
Procession of Ancient Gods
May 16, 2022 7:20 PM CDT
Carvings Reveal Multicultural Procession of Ancient Gods
Archaeologists say the carvings suggest an unexpected melding of cultures
- “I felt as if I was in a ritual when I was confronted by the very expressive eyes and majestic serious face of the storm god Hadad,” Dr. Mehmet Önal told the
New York Times,
describing his feelings as he viewed a “procession of almond-eyed deities”...
ISIS Captive's Letter to Dad
Leaves Courtroom in 'Tears'
Apr 7, 2022 10:10 AM CDT
ISIS Captive's Letter to Dad Leaves Courtroom in 'Tears'
Peter Kassig, killed in 2014, wrote that his last thought would be of the love of his parents
- If Peter Kassig was true to his word, the only thought running through his mind as he was beheaded by Islamic State terrorists was how much his parents loved him. Ed Kassig, the father of the US aid worker who was taken hostage in Syria in 2013 and killed a...
He Dug a Mass Grave. Then an
Ice Cream Truck Showed Up
Mar 16, 2022 11:40 AM CDT
He Dug a Mass Grave. Then an Ice Cream Truck Showed Up
'NYT' reports on 2 mass gravesites in Syria, which could hold evidence of war crimes
- The murdered dissidents of Syrian leader Bashar al-Assad ended up in mass graves, which could hold evidence of war crimes, the
New York Times
reports after speaking with four men who claim to have worked around two mass gravesites near Damascus, which the
located using satellite images. Each one...
Bringing in 'Volunteer'
Fighters From Syria
Mar 11, 2022 11:22 AM CST
Putin Approves Bringing in 'Volunteer' Fighters From Syria
US officials say Russia is recruiting fighters trained in urban combat from Middle East
- Last week, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky announced that an "international legion" of 16,000 volunteers had offered to come to his nation to help fight off invading Russian forces. Now, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Shoigu is claiming that an equal number of volunteers from the Middle East are stepping...
Kansas Mom of 5
Jihadist Denied Bail
Feb 4, 2022 1:29 AM CST
Kansas Mom of 5 Turned Alleged Jihadist Denied Bail
Allison Fluke-Ekren is charged with aiding a terrorist organization
The so-called "all-American girl" turned alleged jihadist was denied bail during a court appearance in Virginia Thursday, the BBC reports. The judge said factors including the safety of the local community are considered during bond hearings, and Allison Fluke-Ekren did not contest the order to remain in custody...
ISIS Leader Died Same Way
as His Predecessor
Feb 3, 2022 2:35 PM CST
ISIS Leader Died Same Way as His Predecessor
US says Abu Ibrahim al-Qurayshi deliberately blew himself up amid raid
- An overnight raid in Syria by US special-operations forces resulted in the death of the Islamic State's leader, but it wasn't American forces who killed Abu Ibrahim al-Hashimi al-Qurayshi. The US says the ISIS commander detonated a bomb as the raid unfolded at his compound, deliberately blowing himself...
Biden: We Killed ISIS
Leader in Syrian Raid
Feb 3, 2022 7:15 AM CST
Biden: We Killed ISIS Leader in Syrian Raid
President says strike took out Abu Ibrahim al-Hashimi al-Qurayshi
A US special forces raid in northwestern Syria early Thursday killed the top leader of the Islamic State group, Abu Ibrahim al-Hashimi al-Qurayshi, President Biden said. “Thanks to the skill and bravery of our Armed Forces, we have taken off the battlefield Abu Ibrahim al-Hashimi al-Qurayshi—the leader...
ISIS Stormed a Prison. There
Are Hundreds of Boys Inside
Jan 26, 2022 11:00 AM CST
ISIS Stormed a Prison. There Are Hundreds of Boys Inside
Siege on Gweiran Prison shines a light on the children's plight
- A distressing series of voice notes sent by an Australian teen from a prison in northeast Syria underscores the plight of thousands of forgotten children who remain trapped in detention facilities in Syria and Iraq. Hundreds of minors (Human Rights Watch estimates 600 boys) are believed to be holed up...
She Left the US to Join
ISIS. Now, a SCOTUS Decision
Jan 13, 2022 7:50 AM CST
She Left the US to Join ISIS. Now, a SCOTUS Decision
Supreme Court won't hear appeal of Hoda Muthana, who went to Syria in 2014, wants to come back
She was born in New Jersey and raised in Alabama, but it looks like Hoda Muthana won't be going back to either anytime soon. On Monday, the US Supreme Court refused, without comment, to hear an appeal from the 27-year-old—who'd left Alabama to join the Islamic...
Ex-Secret Police Officer Guilty
of Crimes Against Humanity
Jan 13, 2022 4:31 AM CST
Ex-Secret Police Officer Guilty of Crimes Against Humanity
Syrian man was convicted in German court
- A German court has convicted a former Syrian secret police officer of crimes against humanity for overseeing the abuse of detainees at a jail near Damascus a decade ago. The verdict Thursday in the landmark trial has been keenly anticipated by Syrians who suffered abuse or lost relatives at the...
Syria's Biggest Export
May Surprise You
Dec 6, 2021 3:09 PM CST
Syria's Biggest Export May Surprise You
'New York Times' alleges that Syria is a 'narcostate' pumping out amphetamine captagon
- Last week, Syrian authorities trumpeted the seizure of a large cache of illegal amphetamine pills known as captagon and said an investigation was underway to figure out where the pills came from, notes the AP . Now, an investigation by the
New York Times
may provide the answer: The Syrian government...
Convicted Arsonists Are
Executed En Masse in Syria
Oct 22, 2021 10:10 AM CDT
Convicted Arsonists Are Executed En Masse in Syria
Human rights activists 'shocked' that 24 were put to death for 2020 wildfires
- Wildfires that swept through Syria last year were intentionally lit, and now 24 individuals linked to setting them have been executed, per the country's Ministry of Justice. Al Jazeera notes that while executions aren't uncommon in Syria, so many being killed at once is unusual. It's not...
Biden Orders Airstrikes
in Iraq, Syria
Jun 28, 2021 6:12 AM CDT
Biden Orders Airstrikes in Iraq, Syria
Targeting Iran-backed militias
- The US military, under the direction of President Biden, has conducted airstrikes against what it said were “facilities used by Iran-backed militia groups” near the border between Iraq and Syria. Pentagon Press Secretary John Kirby said the militias were using the facilities to launch unmanned aerial vehicle attacks against...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
AMC Networks Is Having a Rough Day
They Came In With Paddles to Save Him. A Fireball Erupted
They Traveled 2K Miles on Ship's Rudder
Comedian Has Survived in NYC Nearly a Month on Just $100
'At Long Last We Have Gained Some Traction on This Most ... Feared Disease'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.