Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
27 Years After Tupac Shakur Killing, a Murder Charge
Stories 1 - 20 |
Over Ohio Girl
Who Got Abortion
Sep 18, 2023 9:40 AM CDT
Indiana AG Sues Hospital Over Ohio Girl Who Got Abortion
Todd Rokita says IU Health violated privacy laws when doctor spoke about case publicly
- Indiana's attorney general has sued the state's largest hospital system, claiming it violated patient privacy laws when a doctor publicly shared the story of an Ohio girl who traveled to Indiana for an abortion. The lawsuit, filed Friday in Indianapolis federal court, marked Attorney General Todd Rokita's...
of Keeping 'Kill List'
Aug 7, 2023 5:55 PM CDT
Teacher Accused of Keeping 'Kill List' Receives Sentence
Angelica Carrasquillo, who said she was having mental health issues, gets probation
- A former fifth grade teacher who reportedly said she'd compiled a "hit list" of students of staff members has been sentenced in a plea deal. Angelica Carrasquillo, 25, of Griffith, Indiana, pleaded guilty to an intimidation count on Friday, the AP reports. She was placed on probation for...
Shootout Kills Officer, Suspect
Jul 3, 2023 5:50 PM CDT
Shootout Kills Officer, Suspect
Gunfire exchanged in Indiana hospital
- An exchange of gunfire in a southern Indiana hospital ended with a police officer and a suspect shot to death. Tell City police and other agencies had been called early Monday after a domestic violence victim told employees that the suspect was headed to the hospital, WDRB reports. Sgt. Heather...
Cops: He Robbed Her, Then
Sent Her a Facebook DM
Jun 29, 2023 12:34 PM CDT
Cops: He Robbed Her, Then Sent Her a Facebook DM
'Look just know imma pay you back,' Damien Boyce allegedly messaged victim hours later
- Many of us have received Facebook friend requests we'd rather not accept. But for one Indiana woman, that wariness reached new levels after the man accused of robbing her at gunpoint made her add him on the social network, then later DMed her to ask her to hang out,...
For Trans Advocates,
Victory in This State
Jun 17, 2023 8:50 AM CDT
For Trans Advocates, Victory in This State
Federal judge strikes down ban on gender-affirming care for transgender minors in Indiana
- A federal judge issued an order Friday stopping an Indiana ban on puberty blockers and hormones for transgender minors from taking effect as scheduled July 1. The American Civil Liberties Union of Indiana sought the temporary injunction in its legal challenge of the Republican-backed law, which was enacted this spring...
'Miracle' No One Is Hurt
During Indy 500 Crash
May 29, 2023 6:11 AM CDT
'Miracle' No One Is Hurt During Indy 500 Crash
Tire flew off Kyle Kirkwood's car before it flipped during race, barely missing crowd
- "Talk about a miracle." That was one take after a terrifying crash and car flip during the Indianapolis 500 auto race that sent a tire from one of the competitors' cars sailing over spectators' heads. Fox News reports there were fewer than 20 laps left in Sunday's...
Board Votes to Reprimand
10-Year-Old's Abortion Doctor
May 26, 2023 9:17 AM CDT
Board Votes to Reprimand 10-Year-Old's Abortion Doctor
But Indiana board won't suspend Caitlin Bernard's license to practice medicine
- Indiana's Medical Licensing Board has ruled that a doctor who performed an abortion on a 10-year-old Ohio girl can continue practicing medicine—but she will be reprimanded for what the board decided was a breach of privacy law. Dr. Caitlin Bernard will be fined $3,000, but the board...
May 21, 2023 10:10 AM CDT
3-Year-Old Shoots Two, Including Murder Suspect
Strange incident took place in Indiana
- A toddler accidentally shot and injured two people in Indiana—which inadvertently helped police arrest a man wanted for murder. Police in Lafayette say a 3-year-old child somehow gained access to a gun and shot two people inside an apartment on Thursday, one of whom was his mother, 21-year-old Jalynn...
Gym Class Turns Tragic: 'This
Death Has Rocked This School'
May 18, 2023 11:02 AM CDT
Gym Class Turns Tragic: 'This Death Has Rocked This School'
Alaina Dildine drowned while swimming laps at her Indiana high school, with lifeguard on deck
- A 15-year-old high school student in Indiana apparently drowned Tuesday while swimming laps in gym class. The girl, identified on GoFundMe as Alaina Dildine, was with other students in the swimming pool at Whiteland Community High School when she went underwater near a divider, Clark-Pleasant Community School Corporation Superintendent Patrick...
Deputy Killed in
Dog Attack at Home
May 11, 2023 6:30 PM CDT
Deputy Killed in Dog Attack at Home
Police believe Tamieka White was protecting 8-year-old son
- A 17-year veteran of the Marion County Sheriff's Office died "protecting the most important person in her life," her commander says. Deputy Tamieka White, 46, was killed in a dog attack at her Indianapolis home Tuesday night, the
reports. Police believe she was protecting her...
Small Indiana City
Has to Deal With This
Apr 12, 2023 9:51 AM CDT
Small Indiana City Has to Deal With This
Large industrial fire in Richmond prompts evacuation order near former factory
- Authorities urged people to evacuate Tuesday near a large industrial fire in an Indiana city near the Ohio border that sent massive clouds of black smoke into the sky, per the AP . The fire occurred at a former factory site in Richmond, 70 miles east of Indianapolis, that lately had...
2 More States Ban
Apr 6, 2023 1:00 AM CDT
2 More States Ban Gender-Affirming Care
Idaho, Indiana governors sign bans
- Republican governors in Indiana and Idaho have signed into law bills banning gender-affirming care for minors, making those states the latest to prohibit transgender health care as Republican-led legislatures work to restrict LGBTQ+ rights this year, the AP reports. Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb on Wednesday signed legislation that will prohibit...
'Absolute Chaos' as Tornadoes
Rip Through Multiple States
Apr 1, 2023 5:10 PM CDT
'Absolute Chaos' as Tornadoes Rip Through Multiple States
At least 21 are dead as severe weather blasts through Illinois, Arkansas, Indiana, Iowa, Oklahoma
- The scope of the destruction caused by what may have been dozens of tornadoes that swept through parts of the South and Midwest the day before became clearer late Saturday. Officials raised the death toll to 21, the AP reports; seven of the victims were killed in Tennessee's McNairy...
Looking for Big Tips?
These States Deliver
Mar 6, 2023 3:22 PM CST
Looking for Big Tips? These States Deliver
Delaware tops the list of Toast's quarterly 'Restaurant Trends Report'
- Online eatery platform Toast is out with its quarterly "Restaurant Trends Report," for Q4 of last year, and among such stats as delivery orders during the Super Bowl, the site examined the state of tipping nationwide. Toast looked at average tips across the US and found that Cleveland...
Feb 24, 2023 7:30 AM CST
Ex-Colts Player Accused of Attacking Son, Son's Boyfriend
Joe Staysniak charged with strangulation, battery after incident near his Indianapolis home
- An ex-Indianapolis Colts player has been arrested after a domestic incident involving his son. Per FOX59 , 56-year-old Joe "Big Joe" Staysniak, who retired from the NFL in 1996 after a final season with the Arizona Cardinals, was taken into custody just before 2am on Tuesday by Hendricks County Sheriff'...
2 Men Arrested in 1975
Murder of Indiana Teen
Feb 9, 2023 9:45 AM CST
2 Men Arrested in 1975 Murder of Indiana Teen
Laurel Jean Mitchell's body was found nearly 50 years ago, and the case had gone cold
- Almost half a century ago, 17-year-old Laurel Jean Mitchell was killed in Indiana. Her case had gone cold since, but now, thanks partially to a DNA match, two arrests have finally been made. At a Tuesday news conference, Indiana State Police announced that Fred Bandy Jr., 67, and John Wayne...
This Owl Had Quite the
Morning on Tuesday
Feb 4, 2023 9:30 AM CST
This Owl Had Quite the Morning on Tuesday
After being circled by crows, rescuers saved injured bird from middle of icy Indiana lake
- A wounded great horned owl is recuperating after being rescued earlier this week from an icy Indiana lake. The
Times of Northwest Indiana
reports that the groundskeeper at Hidden Lake Park in Merrillville first spotted the owl Tuesday morning trying to get off the ground, a swarm of crows circling...
'It's Almost Incomprehensible
What You're Watching'
Jan 17, 2023 9:25 AM CST
'It's Almost Incomprehensible What You're Watching'
Indiana dad faces felony neglect charge after 4-year-old plays with loaded gun on live TV
- An Indiana man is facing a neglect charge after his 4-year-old son was captured playing with a loaded handgun on live TV. Footage from a doorbell camera, showing a diaper-clad boy pulling the trigger of the weapon in the hallway of an apartment complex, was aired Saturday on the Reelz...
Here Are the Worst States
in America for Drivers
Jan 16, 2023 1:02 PM CST
Here Are the Worst States in America for Drivers
And the best, per WalletHub's ranking, which puts Hawaii in last place
- Whether we get behind the wheel for leisurely cruising, for our daily commutes, or to take care of errands, American drivers have long contended with traffic, potholes, fluctuating gas prices, and the other annoyances. WalletHub wanted to see which states were better to drive in than others, and it looked...
College Student Was About
to Exit the Bus. Then, an Attack
Jan 14, 2023 11:30 AM CST
College Student Was About to Exit the Bus. Then, an Attack
Indiana U: 56-year-old Bille Davis of Bloomington attacked student due to anti-Asian hate
- A 56-year-old woman has been charged after an 18-year-old Indiana University student repeatedly was stabbed in the head on a public bus in an attack the school says was because the victim is Asian. The victim told investigators she was standing and waiting for the exit doors to open on...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
16-Year-Old Arrested After Felling of Iconic Tree
Trump's Comment Sparks Steps by Milley
Dianne Feinstein Is Dead at 90
House Approves Amendment to Make Defense Secretary's Salary $1
Woman Has Struggled to Prove She's Not Dead for 16 Years
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.