Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
3 Boys 'Paid the Ultimate
Price' for Mom's Addiction
Sep 26, 2023 10:50 AM CDT
3 Boys 'Paid the Ultimate Price' for Mom's Addiction
Leticia Gonzales of Michigan to serve up to 5 years for DUI crash that killed her young sons
- A western Michigan woman was sentenced to up to five years in prison Monday for a crash in which her three young sons drowned after her SUV plunged into an ice-covered pond, per the AP . Leticia Gonzales, 31, had pleaded no contest in August to operating while intoxicated causing serious...
On Tuesday, an 'Absolutely
Unprecedented' Move by Biden
Sep 26, 2023 6:13 AM CDT
On Tuesday, an 'Absolutely Unprecedented' Move by Biden
Looks like he'll be the first president ever to walk picket line when he joins UAW strike in Michigan
- President Biden's decision to stand alongside United Auto Workers picketers Tuesday on the 12th day of their strike against major carmakers underscores an allegiance to labor unions that appears to be unparalleled in presidential history, per the AP . Experts in presidential and US labor history say they can't...
Biden Makes Big
on UAW Strike
Sep 23, 2023 7:45 AM CDT
Biden Makes Big Announcement on UAW Strike
President is heading to Michigan on Tuesday to stand with union workers on the picket line
- The United Auto Workers strike expanded on Friday , with union workers walking out of dozens of additional parts-distribution centers across the nation amid sluggish negotiations with Ford, General Motors, and Stellantis, Detroit's "Big Three" automakers. Now, a big-name boost is heading to the picket line next week: President...
She Wanted Anonymity After
Powerball Win, Didn't Get It
Sep 22, 2023 12:40 PM CDT
She Wanted Anonymity After Powerball Win, Didn't Get It
Cristy Davis advocates for winners being able to stay anonymous after scammers exploited her
- No one matched all the requisite numbers in Wednesday's Powerball drawing, which has sent the jackpot for Saturday night's picks to $725 million . Winning such a huge lottery is a moment most of us have daydreamed about, but Cristy Davis actually lived that dream, after claiming a $70...
Found in Woods
With 2 Furry Protectors
Sep 22, 2023 10:33 AM CDT
Missing Toddler Found in Woods With 2 Furry Protectors
Michigan police say one dog guarded 2-year-old, while another served as her pillow
- The case of a missing toddler in Michigan had a happy ending earlier this week, but it was how she was found that bolstered, once again, dogs' status as man's best friend. Michigan State Police showed up at the home of a 2-year-old girl in Menominee County's Faithorn...
Warning to UAW:
Don't Kill 'the Goose
That Lays the Golden Egg'
Sep 21, 2023 10:35 AM CDT
Warning to UAW: Don't Kill 'the Goose That Lays the Golden Egg'
In 'NYT' op-ed, Steven Rattner worries about strike's 'implications for our economy,' and for Biden
- The United Auto Workers union is threatening to expand its targeted strike against Detroit's Big Three automakers if major advances aren't seen in contract negotiations by Friday. But at least one person thinks that the UAW is "overplaying its hand" in taking on Ford, General Motors, and...
Her Apple Watch
Sep 20, 2023 6:10 PM CDT
Rescuers Pull Woman Hunting Her Apple Watch From Outhouse
There's a lesson in her story, Michigan state police say
- A woman was rescued Tuesday from an outhouse toilet in northern Michigan after she climbed in to retrieve her Apple Watch and became trapped. The woman, whose name was not released, lowered herself inside the toilet after dropping the watch at the Department of Natural Resources boat launch at Dixon...
Last 3 Defendants Not Guilty
in Michigan Gov Kidnap Plot
Sep 15, 2023 10:30 AM CDT
Last 3 Defendants Not Guilty in Michigan Gov Kidnap Plot
They were acquitted of providing support for terrorist acts in plan to kidnap Gretchen Whitmer
- A jury acquitted three men Friday in the last trial connected to a 2020 plan to kidnap Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer. William Null, twin brother Michael Null, and Eric Molitor were found not guilty of providing support for a terrorist act and a weapon charge, the AP reports. They were...
UAW Contract Deadline Nears:
'Nobody's Coming to Save Us'
Sep 14, 2023 7:53 AM CDT
UAW Contract Deadline Nears: 'Nobody's Coming to Save Us'
United Auto Workers leader Shawn Fain says likely strike will be 'limited and targeted'
- The head of the United Auto Workers union said Wednesday that a strike against Detroit's Big Three automakers is imminent, with negotiations ahead of Thursday's 11:59pm contract deadline not making the headway needed to fend off a work stoppage at Ford, General Motors, and Stellantis, per the...
On Labor Day,
a Major Strike Looms
Sep 4, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
On Labor Day, a Major Strike Looms
'More combative' United Auto Workers union makes demands ahead of contract expiration on Sept. 14
- A 46% pay raise. A 32-hour workweek with 40 hours of pay. A restoration of traditional pensions. The demands that a more combative United Auto Workers union has pressed on General Motors, Stellantis, and Ford—demands that even the UAW's own president calls "audacious"— are edging it...
3 Times, Picks Odd
Sep 2, 2023 7:45 AM CDT
Determined Dog Escapes Shelter 3 Times, Picks Odd Forever Home
Now, 6 years later, Scout is a joyous part of the daily lives of seniors at Michigan nursing home
- Nothing too exciting happens at the relatively calm Meadow Brook Medical Care Facility, a nursing home in Bellaire, Michigan, that cares for seniors with terminal illnesses and dementia—but despite that (or maybe because of it), a stray dog decided that was the place he wanted to make his forever...
5 Dead as 7 Tornadoes
Tear Through Michigan
Aug 26, 2023 6:00 AM CDT
5 Dead as 7 Tornadoes Tear Through Michigan
Thousands also left without power amid severe storms
- At least seven tornadoes touched down in Michigan as part of severe storms powered by strong winds that killed five people, while downing trees, tearing roofs off buildings and leaving hundreds of thousands of customers without power, officials said. The National Weather Service on Friday said an EF-2 tornado with...
MSU Makes Archaeological
Find on Its Own Campus
in case you missed it
Aug 19, 2023 9:26 AM CDT
MSU Makes Archaeological Find on Its Own Campus
Foundation of 142-year-old observatory is discovered
- Michigan State University was trying to install hammock poles near a dorm this summer. But instead of lounging there, one group of students will end up enjoying a very different perk. The
reports the construction crew alerted the university that they struck a hard surface while trying to...
Extradited Nigerian Allegedly
Pushed US Teen to Suicide
Aug 15, 2023 2:14 PM CDT
Extradited Nigerian Allegedly Pushed US Teen to Suicide
Samuel Ogoshi and his brother Samson accused in international 'sextortion' scheme
- In March 2022, 17-year-old Jordan DeMay received a message over Instagram from someone threatening to make his nude photo go viral unless the teen coughed up $1,000. DeMay, a high school senior in Michigan, could afford only $300. "I'm kms rn [killing myself right now]. Bc [because]...
Soviet Fighter Jet
Crashes in Michigan
Aug 14, 2023 4:50 PM CDT
Soviet Fighter Jet Crashes in Michigan
Pilot survived air show accident
- The pilot of a Cold War-era jet noticed it was losing power and decided to eject himself and a crew member before the Soviet fighter plane crashed during a weekend air show in suburban Detroit, an official said Monday. The pilot, who also owns the plane, had serious injuries but...
Football Player to
Take My Scholarship
Aug 12, 2023 10:00 AM CDT
Football Player to Struggling Teammate: Take My Scholarship
Eastern Michigan University's Brian Dooley says he didn't want Zack Conti to struggle anymore
- College football players have each other's backs on the field, but one athlete from Eastern Michigan University has proven in a big way that he has teammate Zack Conti's back off the field, too. CBS News reports that Conti, now a senior, has been struggling over the past...
Dog Rescues Woman
Two Days After Crash
Aug 11, 2023 2:48 PM CDT
Dog Rescues Woman Two Days After Crash
Police canine leads handler to woman in cornfield who was seriously injured in car accident
- A woman who was missing after being seriously injured in a car crash was discovered two days later by a police dog in a dense cornfield in southeastern Michigan, authorities said. "We knew she didn't have much longer in order to live," said state Trooper Jeff Schrieber,...
Facial Recognition Fails:
Aug 7, 2023 10:05 AM CDT
Facial Recognition Fails: Pregnant Woman Wrongly Arrested
Porcha Woodruff sues city of Detroit, says facial-recognition technology led to that false arrest
- When a very pregnant Porcha Woodruff was approached by cops earlier this year and told she was being arrested, the 32-year-old aesthetician and nursing school student from Detroit initially thought they were kidding. It was no joke, however, and now she's suing the city, alleging a false arrest based...
Court: No Suit
Jul 28, 2023 10:59 AM CDT
Court: No Suit Over Woman Mistakenly Declared Dead
Panel says family of Timesha Beauchamp, who did eventually die, can't file complaint against EMTs
- The family of a Michigan woman who was erroneously declared dead in 2020, then declared dead for real eight weeks later, tried to sue the city of Southfield and four first responders whose bad judgment, they say, contributed to Timesha Beauchamp's demise from a brain injury. Her family says...
16 'False Electors'
Charged With Felonies
Jul 18, 2023 6:11 PM CDT
16 'False Electors' Charged With Felonies
Michigan AG says they were part of effort to 'circumvent lawfully cast ballots'
- The "false electors" in Michigan who sought to overturn President Biden's 2020 election victory are facing some very real criminal charges. State Attorney General Dana Nessel announced Tuesday that the 16 Republicans have each been charged with eight felonies, including conspiracy to commit election law forgery, the
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Multiple People Now 'on the Radar' in JonBenet Case
Strange Case of Mom Accused in Husband's Death Gets Stranger
On Tuesday, an 'Absolutely Unprecedented' Move by Biden
Family in 'Unbearable Pain' After Mother Found in Gator's Jaws
Gunmen Open Fire on Teens, Killing 3, Over Old Grievance
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.