Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Lawyer: School Officials Gave
Shooter Bag Holding His Gun
Sep 23, 2022 8:33 AM CDT
Lawyer: School Officials Gave Shooter Bag Holding His Gun
They're accused of ignoring repeated red flags from Ethan Crumbley
- School officials returned a backpack containing a pistol and magazines to a 15-year-old who would use them hours later to kill four students, alleged a lawyer for the families of two victims who died in the Oxford High School shooting in Michigan last November. They've filed a $100 million...
Michigan Man Killed Wife and
Dog. Daughter Blames QAnon
Sep 12, 2022 3:16 PM CDT
Michigan Man Killed Wife and Dog. Daughter Blames QAnon
Igor Lanis, 53, had no criminal record, but daughter says he was deep in 'Q rabbit hole'
- The daughter of a man who was killed in a shootout with police in Michigan said her father "had been struggling with mental issues after embracing conspiracy theories," according to the
Police were called to the Walled Lake community in Oakland County around 4am Sunday, where...
In a Decades-Old Case,
a Genetic Genealogy First
in case you missed it
Sep 10, 2022 4:10 PM CDT
In a Decades-Old Case, a Genetic Genealogy First
Technology identifies victim Stacey Lyn Chahorski and her killer
- In March, authorities in Georgia announced they'd used genetic genealogy to identify a murder victim whose name had been unknown for 33 years. Just over five months later, they say they've identified the woman's killer using the same technology. Stacey Lyn Chahorski—whose body was found along...
Michigan Supreme Court Puts
Abortion Amendment on Ballot
Sep 8, 2022 5:20 PM CDT
Michigan Supreme Court Puts Abortion Amendment on Ballot
Elections board had deadlocked along party lines
- Voters will decide whether to place abortion rights in the Michigan Constitution, the state Supreme Court declared Thursday, settling the issue a day before the fall ballot must be completed. Abortion rights would be guaranteed if the amendment passes on Nov. 8. A 1931 state law makes it a crime...
Michigan Judge Rules Against
90-Year-Old Abortion Ban
Sep 7, 2022 7:45 PM CDT
Michigan Judge Rules Against 90-Year-Old Abortion Ban
Governor praises decision but expects it to be appealed
- A near-total ban on abortions in Michigan was struck down Wednesday when a judge ruled the law violates the state constitution. The law, which makes performing an abortion a felony unless the mother's life is at risk, was approved in 1931 but dormant while Roe v. Wade guaranteed access...
CDC Gives OK to Go to
Wendy's Amid E. Coli Outbreak
Sep 5, 2022 9:15 AM CDT
CDC Gives OK to Go to Wendy's Amid E. Coli Outbreak
6 states report illnesses, with most of those sick saying they ate Wendy's meals with romaine lettuce
- An E. coli surge in four states has now made its way to an additional two states. The CDC reports that New York and Kentucky have joined the list of states affected by the outbreak, including Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Michigan, the latter of which has seen 58 of the...
4 Cops Charged After Video
of Man Beaten in Traffic Stop
Sep 1, 2022 9:19 AM CDT
4 Cops Charged After Video of Man Beaten in Traffic Stop
Michigan trooper Bram Schroeder accused of punching Vance Martin, while 3 others stood by
- Four police officers in Michigan have been charged after prosecutors say a man pulled over for suspected drunk driving was handcuffed, then assaulted by one of the officers, while the others did nothing to stop him. Per a release from Michigan's Department of Attorney General, Bram Schroeder and Zachary...
In Plot to Kidnap Governor,
2 Guilty Verdicts
Aug 23, 2022 11:09 AM CDT
In Plot to Kidnap Governor, 2 Guilty Verdicts
Adam Fox and Barry Croft Jr. face life in prison over plans to abduct Gretchen Whitmer in Michigan
- A jury on Tuesday convicted two men of conspiring to kidnap Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer in 2020, in a plot prosecutors described as a rallying cry for a US civil war by anti-government extremists. The jury also found Adam Fox and Barry Croft Jr. guilty of conspiring to obtain a...
Dozens of Mich. Dogs
Die of Mystery Illness
Aug 23, 2022 6:51 AM CDT
Dozens of Mich. Dogs Die of Mystery Illness
Sickness presents as parvo, but dogs are testing negative
- A parvo-like illness is spreading among dogs in Michigan's Otsego County, and of the canines that have gotten it, "we haven’t heard of any that have survived," the director of animal control for the county tells MLive . More than 30 dogs have died of the as-yet-unidentified...
Michigan AG Seeks
in 2020 Election Case
Aug 8, 2022 1:11 PM CDT
Michigan AG Seeks Special Prosecutor in 2020 Election Case
Her GOP rival is among 9 people involved in alleged effort to gain access to voting machines
- The Michigan Attorney General's office is asking that a special prosecutor investigate whether the Republican candidate for state attorney general and others should be charged in connection with an effort to gain access to voting machines after the 2020 election. Attorney General Dana Nessel’s office has asked that...
Michigan GOP Calls Off
Primary Watch Party
Aug 2, 2022 8:08 PM CDT
Michigan GOP Calls Off Primary Watch Party
Man threatened to shoot, burn party's Lansing headquarters
- The Michigan Republican Party said it canceled a Tuesday evening primary watch party in Lansing after a man came to the party's headquarters and threatened to shoot up the building and burn it down. Lansing police said officers went to the building Tuesday morning in response to a complaint...
'Bullets Everywhere' as
Birthday Party Turns
Into Mass Shooting
Aug 2, 2022 8:55 AM CDT
'Bullets Everywhere' as Birthday Party Turns Into Mass Shooting
Suspect was reportedly upset that his driveway was blocked
- Partygoers were celebrating a birthday at a Detroit home. Across the street, a neighbor, upset that his driveway was being blocked, was strategically placing 11 weapons around his own home. Then he opened fire, killing two partygoers and injuring six others, including at least one critically, according to Detroit Police,...
in case you missed it
Jul 24, 2022 3:00 PM CDT
She Got Stood Up, Then Sued Her Date
QaShontae Short gets into tiff with judge during virtual hearing
- A Michigan woman suing a man for standing her up on a date appeared at a virtual court hearing this week that turned into a shouting match. It "plays like the greatest 10-minute soap opera," TMZ reports. The Zoom hearing began with Judge Herman Marable Jr. asking defendant...
Love Beer? This Is
the State for You
Jul 9, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Love Beer? This Is the State for You
Vermont is a 'true beer lover's paradise,' according to VinePair
- Previous evaluations from Beer Connoisseur and Groupon named California the best state in the country when it comes to beer. Not even close, according to VinePair , which finds America's "true beer lover's paradise" is just about as far from California as you can get while remaining in...
Stunt Driver Dies
Racing Planes at Air Show
Jul 4, 2022 10:41 AM CDT
Stunt Driver Dies Racing Planes at Air Show
Shockwave truck spun out of control at Battle Creek event
- A stunt truck driver was killed in a crash in front of a horrified crowd at a Michigan air show on Saturday. The jet engine-powered Shockwave truck, a familiar sight at air shows across the US, spun out of control, caught fire, and rolled over while it was speeding down...
Court Throws Out
Against Rick Snyder
Jun 28, 2022 5:42 PM CDT
Court Throws Out Flint Charges Against Rick Snyder
Former Michigan governor's lawyers slam 'vindictive' prosecution
: Charges against former Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder in connection with the Flint water scandal have been thrown out by the state's top court. The Michigan Supreme Court ruled in a 6-0 decision Monday that while state laws authorize a judge acting as a one-person grand jury "to...
FBI Arrests GOP Candidate
for Governor in Michigan
Jun 9, 2022 11:06 AM CDT
FBI Arrests GOP Candidate for Governor in Michigan
Ryan Kelley charged over his alleged participation in the Capitol riot
- The latest arrest related to the Capitol riot is a doozy—it just happens to be the leading GOP candidate for governor in Michigan. The FBI arrested Ryan Kelley at his home in Allendale on Thursday after executing a search warrant, reports the
. Among other things, the criminal...
May 21, 2022 6:00 AM CDT
One Dead, Dozens Hurt After 'Catastrophic' Tornado
Michigan declares state of emergency after twister sweeps through Gaylord
- "The town is devastated." That was the assessment Friday of Jordan Awrey, a member of the City Council in Gaylord, after a tornado swept through the Michigan town on Friday, killing one and wreaking havoc on buildings, cars, and other structures. Michigan State Police say 44 people were...
Teen's 'Lifesaving' Transplant
Hinges on Parents' Vax Stance
May 17, 2022 9:10 AM CDT
Teen's 'Lifesaving' Transplant Hinges on Parents' Vax Stance
They argue hospital vaccination requirement violates their religious beliefs
- Parents of a Michigan teen are asking a judge to overturn a hospital's requirement that their daughter be vaccinated against COVID-19 before receiving a "lifesaving" kidney transplant. The 17-year-old girl known by her initials "AC," has only one kidney, stage-three chronic kidney disease, and end-stage renal...
Not the Loch Ness
Monster in Detroit, but
Something Else Amazing
May 7, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Not the Loch Ness Monster in Detroit, but Something Else Amazing
What may be first river otter seen in 100 years in Detroit River shows water pollution is decreasing
- "As a PhD student in marine ecology, Eric Ste Marie knew what he saw was rare." That sighting in the Detroit River last month, as described by WXYZ , is now making headlines, and it may be the first of its kind in a century. Ste Marie, a 27-year-old...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
6 Murders Since Last Year May Be Work of Serial Killer
Suspiciously Heavy Fish Lead to Chaos at Tournament
High School Football Team Cancels Entire Season After 'Slave Auction'
Susan Collins: 'I Wouldn't Be Surprised' if a Lawmaker Is Killed
After Late-Night Fatal Crash, an iPhone Calls for Help
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.