Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
This Is the Friendliest
City in the World
Jun 12, 2023 11:19 AM CDT
This Is the Friendliest City in the World
Toronto takes the top spot in Preply's rankings; 2 US cities also make the top 10
- Looking forward to a summer vacation, or even a relocation? Preply is out with its Community Spirit Index , which ranks more than 50 cities around the world in terms of how friendly they are to non-natives. The language learning app examined six main metrics to gather a sense of how...
Apr 8, 2023 2:15 PM CDT
Audience Singing Ends
Patrons' voices competed with star's on 'I Will Always Love You'
- A British performance of
musical ended in unrequited love for some audience members who couldn't refrain from singing along to the anthemic finale, the AP reports. The show at the Palace Theatre in Manchester screeched to a halt Friday when two unruly patrons were ejected for joining...
MI5 Had Chance to
Stop Manchester Bombing
Mar 3, 2023 7:54 AM CST
MI5 Had Chance to Stop Manchester Bombing
But Director General Ken McCallum describes the opportunity as 'slim'
- An inquiry into the 2017 suicide bombing at an Ariana Grande concert in the UK has found British intelligence missed a "significant" opportunity to stop it. Influenced by the Islamic State, Salman Abedi detonated the bomb in the foyer of Manchester Arena as attendees left, killing 22 people and...
Police Again Search Moor
for 1964 Victim of Killers
Sep 30, 2022 4:12 PM CDT
Police Again Search Moor for 1964 Victim of Killers
Author thinks he found human remains in the area
- Winnie Johnson searched for her 12-year-old son's body from 1964 until her death in 2012, sometimes digging herself in the moor where English police believe Keith Bennett was buried by his killers. A new lead has Greater Manchester police again digging in Saddleworth Moor, the
reports. Russell Edwards,...
She Was Last Seen in 2019.
Now Dad, Wife Are Held
Jan 6, 2022 1:17 PM CST
She Was Last Seen in 2019. Now Dad, Wife Are Held
NH police desperately searching for Harmony Montgomery, last seen in Manchester
- New Hampshire police arrested a man in connection with his young daughter's 2019 disappearance on Tuesday, and a day later also nabbed his wife. The mother of Harmony Montgomery contacted Manchester police in November, saying she hadn't seen her daughter in more than six months, per the AP...
A Diner Ordered a $333 Bottle
of Wine. That's Not What Came
May 16, 2019 10:10 AM CDT
A Diner Ordered a $333 Bottle of Wine. That's Not What Came
Restaurant's message to server who accidentally brought out $5K bottle: 'We love you anyway'
- A diner ordered a $333 bottle of wine at a UK steakhouse on Wednesday and instead received a "mythical" Bordeaux worth about 17 times as much. It's unclear if the customer dining at Hawksmoor Manchester realized their good fortune. It was only after the meal that a manager...
London to Philly,
Feb 8, 2019 8:18 AM CST
Minutes Before Takeoff From London to Philly, Pilot Arrested
The 62-year-old appeared intoxicated right before the late-morning flight
- If you were booked on Flight AA35 out of the UK's Manchester Airport on Thursday morning, you may have been annoyed at your last-minute rebooking. Reading the news Friday, however, should ease your mind that the right call was made.
reports that the American Airlines flight to...
3 Stabbed in Manchester
NYE 'Terror Attack'
Jan 1, 2019 7:34 AM CST
3 Stabbed in Manchester NYE 'Terror Attack'
Witnesses say attacker shouted Islamic slogans
- Police in the English city of Manchester say they are treating the New Year's Eve stabbing of three people as a terrorist incident. Greater Manchester Chief Constable Ian Hopkins said two people suffered "very serious" injuries in the attack and remain in the hospital receiving treatment, the AP...
I Have PTSD From
Jun 5, 2018 10:25 AM CDT
Ariana Grande: I Have PTSD From Concert Attack
Her new tattoo honors Manchester
- Ariana Grande says she suffers from PTSD in the aftermath of a bombing that killed 22 people at her concert in Manchester, England, last May. "It's hard to talk about because so many people have suffered such severe, tremendous loss. But, yeah, it's a real thing,"...
Homeless Man Robbed Victims
He Was Praised for Helping
Jan 3, 2018 1:36 PM CST
Homeless Man Robbed Victims He Was Praised for Helping
Man pleads guilty to robbery in wake of Manchester Arena bombing
- "Instead of running away, my gut instinct was to run back and try and help," Chris Parker told reporters following the deadly bombing of an Ariana Grande concert last year in Manchester. The 33-year-old homeless man said he rescued a young girl whose mother was killed and had...
Royals Buck Tradition, Invite
Meghan Markle to Christmas
Dec 25, 2017 7:01 AM CST
Royals Buck Tradition, Invite Meghan Markle to Christmas
Elizabeth says the royal family looks forward 'to welcoming new members into it next year'
- Queen Elizabeth II and senior members of the royal family—along with newcomer Meghan Markle, Prince Harry's fiancee—arrived at a Christmas church service as a crowd of local residents gathered. Markle smiled and gave a brief wave on her way into the church in her first public appearance...
Big News for Manchester
Victims' Next of Kin
Aug 16, 2017 11:07 AM CDT
Big News for Manchester Victims' Next of Kin
Families of bombing victims will receive $321K each
- The families of the 22 people killed in the bombing at Ariana Grande's concert in Manchester in May will each receive $321,000. The payments are made possible by the We Love Manchester Emergency Fund, which collected donations from the public following the terrorist attack, reports the
Taken by Imams on
Jun 6, 2017 12:33 AM CDT
'Unprecedented' Step Taken by Imams on UK Terrorists
More than 130 Muslim religious leaders pen letter slamming 'reprehensible actions'
- As England continues to flesh out the details of two terror attacks there over the past two weeks, one group has taken what BuzzFeed calls an "unprecedented" stand against the perpetrators. More than 130 imams and other Muslim religious leaders from "diverse" backgrounds across the UK have penned...
This Moment Stole the
Show in Manchester
Jun 5, 2017 7:03 AM CDT
This Moment Stole the Show in Manchester
Twitter loved footage of policeman dancing with kids
- The star-studded One Love Manchester benefit concert drew some 14.5 million viewers at its peak, but it wasn't any one performer, song, or speech that proved the most moving, reports the BBC . Instead, it was a brief shot of a policeman dancing in a circle with children while...
Ariana Grande at Concert:
'Olivia Wouldn't Want Me to Cry'
Jun 4, 2017 4:09 PM CDT
Ariana Grande at Concert: 'Olivia Wouldn't Want Me to Cry'
Singer headlines emotional tribute show in Manchester
- Ariana Grande returned to the stage in Manchester, England, Sunday for an emotional tribute concert to those killed at her show last month . She spoke to the crowd about one of those victims, 15-year-old Olivia Campbell, notes ABC News . "I had the pleasure of meeting Olivia's mommy a...
to Injured Fans
Jun 3, 2017 9:00 AM CDT
Ariana Makes Surprise Visit to Injured Fans
Pop star will headline all-star benefit concert on Sunday
- Pop star Ariana Grande stunned young fans when she popped into Royal Manchester Children's Hospital to say hello on Friday, the
reports. The surprise visit, ahead of Grande's benefit concert Sunday, cheered kids recovering from injuries from the May 22 suicide bombing at Manchester Arena. Social media...
May 30, 2017 10:47 AM CDT
Ariana Grande Announces Star-Clogged Manchester Benefit
Show to be held Sunday with Bieber, Perry, Coldplay, Pharrell, and more
- Ariana Grande is not only returning to Manchester for a charity concert in the wake of the deadly bombing that followed her last show in the city, she's bringing basically every pop star one could think of. Grande isn't waiting around, either, and announced Tuesday that the show...
Police Want to
Know More About
May 30, 2017 12:01 AM CDT
Police Want to Know More About Concert Bomber's Blue Suitcase
Manchester police release images of 'distinctive' suitcase
- Police in Manchester, England, have issued a picture of the arena suicide bomber holding a blue suitcase and asked anyone who might have seen him with it before the attack to call a confidential hotline. Counterterrorism squads are trying to re-create Salman Abedi's movements in the days before he...
Makes 1st Public
Night of Bombing
May 26, 2017 3:25 PM CDT
Ariana Grande Makes 1st Public Statement Since Night of Bombing
Singer says she'll return to Manchester for benefit concert
- Ariana Grande says she'll return to Manchester for a benefit concert to raise money for the victims of Monday's bombing and their families. The singer posted a letter to fans on Twitter Friday. It was Grande's first public statement since tweeting she was "broken" in the...
Bomber Said to Have Pleaded
'Forgive Me' Before UK Blast
May 25, 2017 6:24 PM CDT
Bomber Said to Have Pleaded 'Forgive Me' Before UK Blast
Salman Abedi was reportedly upset over killing of Muslim friend in 2016
- The suspect in the deadly Manchester concert bombing was driven by what he saw as unjust treatment of Arabs in Britain, a relative said Thursday, confirming he made a final phone call in which he pleaded: "Forgive me." Salman Abedi was particularly upset by the killing last year...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
House Votes 216-210 to Oust McCarthy
Everyone Is Talking About Pamela Anderson's Face
Break in Kidnapping Case: Suspect Dropped Off a Note
9-Year-Old's Parents Got Ransom Note After She Vanished
Webb Telescope Makes 'Baffling' Discovery
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.