Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Ku Klux Klan
Stories 1 - 20 |
West Point Plaque
Includes Nod to the KKK
Sep 1, 2022 12:30 PM CDT
West Point Plaque Includes Nod to the KKK
A naming commission appointed by Congress suggests the Pentagon get rid of it
- West Point cadets themselves may not realize it, but for decades they have passed by a plaque that includes a hooded figure and the words "Ku Klux Klan" on their way into a science building, reports
. Now, a special panel appointed by Congress is encouraging the Pentagon...
He Spent a Decade Undercover
in the KKK, Is Speaking Out
Dec 25, 2021 3:45 PM CST
He Spent a Decade Undercover in the KKK, Is Speaking Out
Joseph Moore has been living under a new name since 2018
- For nearly 10 years, Joseph Moore lived a secret double life. At times the US Army veteran donned a white robe and hood as a hit man for the Ku Klux Klan in North Florida. He attended clandestine meetings and participated in cross burnings. He even helped plan the murder...
White Supremacists' Trial Over
Violent Rally to Invoke KKK Act
Oct 25, 2021 4:50 PM CDT
White Supremacists' Trial Over Violent Rally to Invoke KKK Act
Federal lawsuit argues organizers planned the chaos
- Jury selection began in a federal lawsuit against white supremacists Monday, and the trial's central issue will be whether the violence that left dozens of people injured and one person dead at a 2017 rally was spontaneous or had been planned for months. The case will be heard in...
Bust of KKK Leader to Lose
Its Home at Tennessee Capitol
Jul 23, 2021 7:03 AM CDT
Bust of KKK Leader to Lose Its Home at Tennessee Capitol
Statue of Confederate general, slave trader Nathan Bedford Forrest headed to museum
- A bust of Ku Klux Klan leader and Confederate General Nathan Bedford Forrest is coming down at the Tennessee Capitol. The State Building Commission gave a 5-2 approval Thursday to relocate the bust of the slave trader , installed in 1978, to the Tennessee State Museum, reports the
. Several attempts...
Files Open to Public on
Civil Rights Workers' Slayings
Jun 27, 2021 10:45 AM CDT
Files Open to Public on Civil Rights Workers' Slayings
Victims were in Mississippi to look into church fire and register voters
- Never-before-seen case files, photographs, and other records documenting the investigation into the infamous slayings of three civil rights workers in Mississippi are now open to the public for the first time, 57 years after their deaths. The 1964 killings of James Chaney, Andrew Goodman, and Michael Schwerner in Neshoba County...
'It's Comical,' Woman Says of
Outcome of KKK Flag Incident
Mar 3, 2021 10:55 AM CST
'It's Comical,' Woman Says of Outcome of KKK Flag Incident
Detectives reportedly brought new curtains to the neighbor, who won't be charged
- It was "horrible conduct," not criminal, and a prosecutor in Michigan is encouraging the state legislature to consider changing the law so that it would be considered criminal in the future. Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy on Tuesday announced that her office was unable to charge a Grosse...
In Tenn., KKK Pays 'Social
Visits' to Biden Supporters
Oct 14, 2020 8:19 AM CDT
In Tenn., KKK Pays 'Social Visits' to Biden Supporters
Business cards, vandalism have Shelbyville residents on edge
- Yards featuring signs in support of Democratic presidential and vice presidential candidates Joe Biden and Kamala Harris have been littered with Ku Klux Klan propaganda in one Tennessee town, leaving residents on edge with weeks to go before Election Day. Breana Green of Shelbyville discovered her neighbor's yard sign...
'White Pride' Billboard
Roils Small Town
Aug 15, 2020 12:40 PM CDT
'White Pride' Billboard Roils Small Town
Harrison, Arkansas debates whether the billboard should come down
- Welcome to Harrison, Arkansas, where visitors are greeted by a "White Pride" billboard—and a roiling argument about whether it should stand, CNN reports. "It's an entrance to our town, the first thing people see when they drive in is this billboard," an attorney for the...
Off for Good
Jul 31, 2020 2:10 PM CDT
Twitter Kicks David Duke Off for Good
Ex-KKK leader kicked off social media platform for violating rules on 'hateful conduct'
- David Duke has lost one of his big communications platforms: The 70-year-old white supremacist and ex-Ku Klux Klan leader has been banned from Twitter for good, the AP reports. Duke was "permanently suspended for repeated violations of the Twitter rules on hateful conduct," the social media platform said...
With KKK Must Go,
Jul 14, 2020 1:53 PM CDT
Courthouse Mural With KKK Must Go, Say Lawyers
Group joins protesters in demanding its removal in Baker County, Fla.
- A group of 1,200 lawyers says it's about time a mural depicting KKK members is removed from a Florida courthouse. It symbolizes "everything a judicial system should oppose: racial discrimination, racial supremacy, terrorism and vigilantism," Mitch Stone, president of the Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers,...
Police Say KKK Leader
Drove Into Crowd
Jun 8, 2020 6:40 PM CDT
Police Say KKK Leader Drove Into Crowd
Virginia prosecutors consider hate crime charges
- Authorities are considering hate crime charges after a man they called a Ku Klux Klan leader drove into a crowd of protesters in Virginia. The number of people struck wasn't clear, the
New York Daily News
reports, but police reported no serious injuries. "A vehicle revved their engine...
First His Statue Came Down.
Now His Body Will Be Removed
May 13, 2020 2:43 AM CDT
First His Statue Came Down. Now His Body Will Be Removed
Bodies of Confederate general and his wife to be re-interred
- In 2017, a Confederate general's statue was removed from a Memphis park (a move for which the city was punished ). Now, an even larger undertaking: The bodies of Nathan Bedford Forrest and his wife will be removed from the park as well. The Sons of Confederate Veterans had...
Man Who Used KKK Hood as
Face Mask Is Off the Hook
May 12, 2020 10:10 AM CDT
Man Who Used KKK Hood as Face Mask Is Off the Hook
Police say their hands are tied after supermarket incident in Santee, Calif.
- A white man pictured wearing a Ku Klux Klan hood at a supermarket near San Diego will not face charges. An investigation into the May 2 incident at the Vons in Santee didn't uncover enough evidence for police to pursue charges, the San Diego County Sheriff's Department said...
Name Is for a KKK
Voted to Keep It
Aug 21, 2019 10:55 AM CDT
Their Community's Name Is for a KKK Member. They Voted to Keep It
'Stapleton' sticks following referendum vote in Denver
- A Denver neighborhood named for a former Ku Klux Klan member is sticking by its moniker. About a third of property owners in Stapleton—named for former Denver Mayor Benjamin Stapleton—voted in a referendum, with 65% in favor of keeping the name, reports CNN . Liz Stalnaker of community group...
He Was House-Hunting
With His Wife.
He Saw KKK
Aug 9, 2019 12:55 PM CDT
He Was House-Hunting With His Wife. He Saw KKK Memorabilia
Michigan cop suspended after potential homebuyer says he spotted Klan application, Confederate flags
- A US Army veteran house-hunting with his wife made some distressing finds in one of the Michigan homes they toured, and now a Muskegon cop has been suspended as a result. The
reports that Rob Mathis, who's black, showed up with his wife, Reyna, at the five-bedroom...
Wife Admits Killing KKK Leader
Apr 21, 2019 9:26 AM CDT
Wife Admits Killing KKK Leader
Her son didn't pull the trigger after all, Malissa Ancona tells judge
- "I fired both shots that killed my husband," Malissa Ancona told a Missouri judge in pleading guilty to second-degree murder in the 2017 death of a KKK leader. Her son, who's also charged , helped her clean the crime scene and dispose of the body but wasn't...
Editor Backs KKK, Gives
His Job to a Black Woman
Feb 23, 2019 1:40 PM CST
Editor Backs KKK, Gives His Job to a Black Woman
Goodloe Sutton is apparently trying to sell his newspaper
- Last week, he wanted the Ku Klux Klan to "night ride again." Friday, he gave up his job to a black woman. Welcome to the strange month of Goodloe Sutton, who will retain ownership of the
of Linden, Alabama, but apparently gave editorial control to employee Elecia...
Calls for Return of KKK
Feb 19, 2019 3:39 AM CST
Newspaper Editor Calls for Return of KKK
He wants 'the Klan go up there and clean out DC'
- Alabama lawmakers are calling for the resignation of a small-town newspaper editor who published an editorial calling for the Ku Klux Klan to return and "night ride again." The Feb. 14 editorial in the weekly
in the west Alabama town of Linden called for the KKK to...
Feb 2, 2019 12:01 PM CST
Governor: That Was Not Me
"That is not my picture," says Gov. Ralph Northam
- Virginia's governor on Saturday vowed to remain in office despite widespread calls for his resignation after a racist photo surfaced on a school yearbook page, the AP reports. His refusal to step down could signal a potentially long and bruising fight between Northam and his former supporters. Northam said...
Tenn. Judge Chides Black Men
for Doing Better Job Than KKK
Jan 8, 2019 1:13 PM CST
Tenn. Judge Chides Black Men for Doing Better Job Than KKK
Montgomery County Judge Wayne Shelton's comment gets divided reaction
- It's not the first time this Tennessee judge has likened black-on-black crime to KKK violence, reports the
Clarksville Leaf Chronicle
, but it's certainly the most publicized. In a Thursday hearing in the case of Vincent Bryan Merriweather, Montgomery County Judge Wayne Shelton exclaimed that he's "sick...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
MSU Head Coach Fired for 'Moral Turpitude'
Winners, Losers From the GOP Debate
Arrest Made in Murder of Young Baltimore Tech CEO
A Find Like This Comes 'Once in a Generation'
When a Bear Came, Mom Knew What to Do
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.